Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I've been playing some of Stoneshard recently and really like it, but there's not much there yet (and it seems unlikely to progress soon). I like the sort of open-world approach to a roguelike and also the quality of sound and visual effects to accentuate the combat. Is there anything similar to it out there in a more complete state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Prime of flames looks like it could be pretty cool. A fire emblem like tactics system mixed with sts style map movement. The English translation seems like it could be rough though judging from what little I played of the demo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1937750/Prime_of_Flames/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DrManiac posted:

Prime of flames looks like it could be pretty cool. A fire emblem like tactics system mixed with sts style map movement. The English translation seems like it could be rough though judging from what little I played of the demo.

the three genders, wolf women, bird women, and women who build robots... (the birds look the coolest)

i tried the demo, once as the beast faction and once as the birds. map movement isn't purely STS, its the click around nodes and come back to them type. only enemy nodes act as road blocks so you don't have to waste a healing node to move along its path. class base but i think each character sorta has its spin on it, i started with two archers and while they had the same innate they applied a different debuff, but maybe i could have got two ice archers as well, i dunno. level ups just give you one of two options. to use the archers as an example there was basic stuff like, apply an extra stack of a debuff on attack, or bigger things like your arrow attacks hit every enemy in your range for a faction of damage along with the full damage to your main target.

seems like it can get pretty wacky. my guard during the bird game had an area of effect like 3, 4? squares around them that any enemy that dies within it gets revived for one turn on your side. soak up a lot of free hits for me. which was needed, cause your units go down quick.

at the same time... some of the control stuff sucks. and i got to the boss for the first area and i had no interest figuring it out. the boss could take out every unit except the guard in one hit. which, theoretically could be fine, but it also had a ton of HP, and there was also a mechanic where your units would get captured and put in cages. The only way you could free units is to attack the cages, which takes two hits no matter your damage out put. Which in a srpg this feels especially annoying since you have to actually moved over to the cage to do this.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
One thing I can't find in a new roguelike/lite is a gory splatterfest. IVAN is probably the closest with its dismemberment (dual sickles turn you into act 3 Lionel from Braindead/Dead Alive), but that's gotten a bit old. Cataclysm and CoQ come close, and In Celebration of Violence lives up to its name, but I've played the hell out of all three and ICoV 2 isn't out yet.

What are some of the best bucket of blood, rip and tear roguelike and lites out there today, whether more traditional roguelikes or action roguelites? It seems like the genres would be rife with quick burst of violence games, but recently games have skewed more cartoonish like RL2 and Cult of the Lamb.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Maybe Noita? With the right wand you can do plenty of ripping and tearing, and it’s both possible and encouraged to literally bathe in the blood of your enemies.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Jupiter Hell, the serial-numbers-filed-off sequel to DoomRL.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Garbage day.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DrManiac posted:

I gave this a try and the quality of the English translation kills it, both in terms of figuring out what your dudes actually do and in terms of it being a seemingly narrative heavy thing. It also did my pet peeve of not giving me a button (or at least not an evident button) that shows where all enemies can attack

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Man, I need to play Noita, huh? Those are some really cool gifs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How are people keeping track of 4 different decks in Across the Obelisk? I've been eyeing it because it looks like a blast but I have a hard enough time building/fine tuning one deck in a roguelike deckbuilder, let alone building/managing 4 different decks. How does the game manage to not make that overwhelming? People are obviously having fun with it. Maybe they got bigger brains than me lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kvlt! posted:

How are people keeping track of 4 different decks in Across the Obelisk? I've been eyeing it because it looks like a blast but I have a hard enough time building/fine tuning one deck in a roguelike deckbuilder, let alone building/managing 4 different decks. How does the game manage to not make that overwhelming? People are obviously having fun with it. Maybe they got bigger brains than me lol

You really just get used to it. Pick a focus for each character, and just try to fill out their deck for that as well as you can.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

King of Solomon posted:

noita is the essence of :sickos: and it's wonderful

fell back a few pages but here's a thread

just be wary of the traditional Nethack nemesis, some jackass with a wand of disintegration nuke
https://i.imgur.com/5v143I8.mp4

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

noita tricks you into giving a poo poo about your run before immediately killing you

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pladdicus posted:

noita tricks you into giving a poo poo about your run before immediately killing you

Noita is in this odd space where it's incredibly hardcore and makes nearly perfect sense systemically, but game design wise it's a loose pile of pages with question marks on them blowing in the breeze

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

King of Solomon posted:

It's a real spectacle but it's definitely a hard-R Roguelike and you need a lot of game knowledge to pull off crazy poo poo. Either that or you randomly stumble into poo poo like that without the proper game knowledge and immediately kill yourself. Understanding its systems is extremely rewarding though if you want to put the time into it; I'm not sure if I would consider it the "best" but it's definitely in the running for me for the most "special" roguelike in the last decade.

edit: and while there are plenty of secrets and rewards hidden via exploration one thing to know going in is that it's got what I'd consider a loose design when it comes to balance and gameplay incentives. While there are goals and several endings to pursue and a few out-of-the-way meta unlockables that affect future runs (in ways you might not realize for a while) it's a sandbox game at its core and doesn't really play to optimization. You don't explore the Pyramid because it's got a guaranteed amulet of +10 fire res that will help you when you explore the Volcano, you explore the Pyramid because you're wondering, hey, what the gently caress is going on inside that Pyramid.

The incredible amount of freedom you have with spell customization supports that, at its highest level you're basically writing code like it's a Zachtronics game, but at the end of the day it's very much a game about the journey rather than the destination and that can be polarizing. It's a game for people who get delighted by "I can't believe the designer thought of this" moments and not one for people looking for a well-balanced strategic experience. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes loving around because there's easily 100+ hours worth of loving around to do, but if you're more into games with a consistent level of challenge that let you slowly work towards a win, it might not vibe with you

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 21, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

sometimes in entirely unparseable or essentially unavoidable ways, which is a fantastic feature when a successful run or some objectives take hours to complete. not recommended.

yes I know what thread this is

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

sometimes in entirely unparseable or essentially unavoidable ways, which is a fantastic feature when a successful run or some objectives take hours to complete. not recommended.

yes I know what thread this is

Yeah this is exactly what i'm talking about lol. I agree with this poster 100% yet still consider Noita one of my favorite games of the last decade

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If dying and losing a ton of progress really bothers you in Noita, it's extremely trivial to slap in a mod that allows respawning. A friend of mine uses a mod that even lets you set a limit on your number of lives.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah that's worth noting, mod support is great and there's a bunch of good stuff at the top of the steam workshop. It's been a long time since i've played but I really liked the one that gives you a health refill whenever you find the items that increase your max HP out in the wild, because in the base game restoring health is very difficult and it's a great incentive for exploration .

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pladdicus posted:

i never gave a poo poo because i found it absolutely impenetrable and i never had any idea what i was doing let alone why i died

this is coming from someone with multiple adom ultra endings

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

i never gave a poo poo because i found it absolutely impenetrable and i never had any idea what i was doing let alone why i died

How many of those did you do without a guide?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wafflecopper posted:

ADOM is sort of on the non-blank-slate thing, though, you start that game making a character and everything, there's things you can read to come to grips with it and by the time you actually start you've put some time into thinking about the blob of stats you're about to throw into the grinder

Noita you spawn as a precise hitbox with two physicsy guns, one of which can kill you, and that's all you get

e: You don't even know where you're supposed to go in Noita, there's the vague insinuation that hey maybe this cave is a good option but it's extremely easy to learn that "oh poo poo there's a lot of stuff outside the cave"

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

I tend to play co-op where that's not an issue, but even in single player once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. Decks tend to be one trick ponies depending on which character you play and what build you're doing, so it's pretty easy to sort through cards. Your tank mostly wants defends, fire mage only wants fire magic, that sort of thing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Post poste posted:

How many of those did you do without a guide?

that's fair, but i was still able to get into adom without a guidebook, if not get anywhere near beating it. i was able to get into it enough to care enough to look up the guidebook. when adom killed me i knew it was because say, i walked into a trap. as rng as that could be in the very early game, at least i knew what happened. in noita i'd be playing and killing stuff and suddenly there were colours everywhere and i was dead and had no idea wtf even happened. then there was the stuff like the wand mechanics which were afaict conveyed entirely through moon language. at least adom's manual was in english

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 21, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Somfin posted:

ADOM is sort of on the non-blank-slate thing, though, you start that game making a character and everything, there's things you can read to come to grips with it and by the time you actually start you've put some time into thinking about the blob of stats you're about to throw into the grinder

Noita you spawn as a precise hitbox with two physicsy guns, one of which can kill you, and that's all you get

e: You don't even know where you're supposed to go in Noita, there's the vague insinuation that hey maybe this cave is a good option but it's extremely easy to learn that "oh poo poo there's a lot of stuff outside the cave"

not sure what you're trying to say here tbh. until the edit i thought you were agreeing with me?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's a shame we'll probably never get a proper postmortem on Ultimate ADOM, I'm curious how it crashed and burned so badly.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I have no shame in admitting that while I loved Noita as a concept, it took the following mods to get me into playing it:

- Infinite flying
- Gold never disappears
- Half damage taken

I'm also adding "You start with the 'Tinker with wands anywhere' perk" for good measure.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

just be wary of the traditional Nethack nemesis, some jackass with a wand of disintegration nuke

There are no wands of disintegration. There's only black dragons and messing around with altars for your disintegration needs.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Zedlic posted:

I have no shame in admitting that while I loved Noita as a concept, it took the following mods to get me into playing it:

- Infinite flying
- Gold never disappears
- Half damage taken

I'm also adding "You start with the 'Tinker with wands anywhere' perk" for good measure.

I like the mod that lets you upgrade spells by combining them and the mod that lets enemies drop spells. It basically guarantees you get something decent but you still need to find something broken to keep up with the later enemies.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

tokenbrownguy posted:

whoever recommended PlateUp! here, thank you

my girlfriend I have been having a lot of fun in roguelite-Overcooked

How is PlateUp! if you don't play it coop? Is that it's main appeal? Or is it solid in single player?

Agnostalgia posted:

I've been playing some of Stoneshard recently and really like it, but there's not much there yet (and it seems unlikely to progress soon). I like the sort of open-world approach to a roguelike and also the quality of sound and visual effects to accentuate the combat. Is there anything similar to it out there in a more complete state?

This is sad to hear. I played it well over a year ago, and liked it. But there wasn't much there yet. So it sounds it's progressing really slowly.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Backpack Hero endless mode is still as brutal as on demo. Later magma core v2 enemies have 5k+ health each, even the most hosed up multi hit death machine I've built so far can't handle that. I guess block+spike builds are key but then you still have to deal with the later enemies dealing 20+ poison and/or burn all the time which quickly overwhelms any block focused build. I feel like there should be more poison/burn counter equipment in the game, there is still what, a potion and a rare accessory and that's it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rappaport posted:

There are no wands of disintegration. There's only black dragons and messing around with altars for your disintegration needs.

oh right i meant a wand of death, got those mixed up lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grab Im Moor posted:

Backpack Hero endless mode is still as brutal as on demo. Later magma core v2 enemies have 5k+ health each, even the most hosed up multi hit death machine I've built so far can't handle that. I guess block+spike builds are key but then you still have to deal with the later enemies dealing 20+ poison and/or burn all the time which quickly overwhelms any block focused build. I feel like there should be more poison/burn counter equipment in the game, there is still what, a potion and a rare accessory and that's it?

There's also a legendary sword that transfers your poison to enemies, which is quite expensive in space+energy in addition to being super rare.

On the one hand, I appreciate that the ramp is insanely steep, it means even endless runs wrap up in a fairly reasonable time. On the other hand, yeah, it really does rapidly restrict viable builds to some very specific and necessary abilities. I was able to loop twice with a damage boosting tome+wand build but I've had some pretty nutty runs just utterly crash and burn on the deep/magma cave sections of the first endless loop.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

the holy poopacy posted:

There's also a legendary sword that transfers your poison to enemies, which is quite expensive in space+energy in addition to being super rare.

On the one hand, I appreciate that the ramp is insanely steep, it means even endless runs wrap up in a fairly reasonable time. On the other hand, yeah, it really does rapidly restrict viable builds to some very specific and necessary abilities. I was able to loop twice with a damage boosting tome+wand build but I've had some pretty nutty runs just utterly crash and burn on the deep/magma cave sections of the first endless loop.

Oh yeah right, I've seen that legendary twice on floor 1, I forgot that it also clears your poison debuff. You can't really afford to lug around a sword that basically does nothing early on so I just sold it. But I can see it being a lifesaver in an endless mode build when the bats show up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone played Across the Obelisk?
I'm primarily interested in the coop aspect.
I've got nearly 100 hours in and it is very fun playing with just me and Mrs Splicer. Less quarterbacky than I expected (it's just hard enough to keep track of the other person's decks and builds that you probably don't know what the best move is as well as they do), very easy to dip in and out of, and discussing strategies and how to deal with a particular fight is very fun.

It's also got hands down the best random outcome system I've ever seen in a game and a lot of stuff built in to account for people disagreeing about where to go next etc. Really impressed with it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’m probably going to pick up Across the Obelisk, since it hit release. A bit disappointed I don’t have anyone lined up for co-op, but not terribly bothered by it.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Funso Banjo posted:

This is sad to hear. I played it well over a year ago, and liked it. But there wasn't much there yet. So it sounds it's progressing really slowly.

Yeah, i hadn't played it since near release and there wasn't a whole lot that had been added, really. And the dev team is based half in Russia, half in Ukraine so they probably have other concerns recently.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Agnostalgia posted:

…maybe Unexplored 2. Not really confident though.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Edit: Wrong thread
Dan Crenshaw on the search of Mar A Lago is approaching late night skit levels of self-parody
“But even if it was nefarious why not say ‘we don’t believe you, now let us come back” pretty please

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1561346844206170112?s=21&t=amQOKFsQaYJc7X5gUI57iw

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I’m looking forward to the Mar a Lago raid roguelike.