Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There are people on this earth who want to wear the abomination that is Tiddlywinks's outfit on their characters

what, you want vanity outfits that aren't ridiculous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

How's class balance now, anyway? From what I've heard SCH and WAR are still above everyone but otherwise I'm not sure how everyone else shakes up.

Every class can do all the content, it's just SCH and WAR contribute a bit more DPS while doing their own job. It's nothing anyone needs to care about unless you're trying for world firsts on a savage raid, though.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

How's class balance now, anyway? From what I've heard SCH and WAR are still above everyone but otherwise I'm not sure how everyone else shakes up.

WAR has no real downsides, which is why it's better. PLD is better now but most of this raid tier doesn't have tp breaks which means that PLD isn't very good in the fights. I'd love to play PLD in A9S or A10S but I would run out TP and have like no way of recovering it. DRK/WAR is better for a lot of the content (namely savage) still, but PLD shines in Sophia for instance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Warrior is still the king of tank dps mountain. Even as a warrior main it feels unfair how little effort I have to put into it to outclass dark knights, who have a vastly more complex rotation. Fortunately they've said that they're looking into equalizing the tanks in 4.0.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The other big shake up is that AST is pretty drat good now. Still nowhere near SCH of course, but they're really effective main healers.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
pld/pld is definitely optimal on sophia though, holy poo poo

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

As far as not dying and allowing possible solo healing yea, but dps loss is dps loss!!!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure how they're going to nerf SCH without effectively removing faeries which would be a pity. A better solution would be to give nocturnal AST a "smart heal" or something.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Tempered will doesn't help when the entire rest of the raid flies past you off the edge.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

haha, nice

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ignimbrite posted:

Cloud, Firion, Zidane, Snow, Lightning, WoL kinda sorta. I think that's it, including Yuna's and Teedus's stuff.

I'm pretty sure the legacy warrior outfit from the Rangers event is supposed to be an interpretation of the classic FF1 8bit Fighters/Warriors garb. There's also the Gambler's outfit which is pretty much a straight copy of Setzer's clothing. You can also do a really convincing 8bit black mage themed glamour, and pull off a close approximation of a Viera as a highlander lady with bits of the gold saucer stuff.

And while not from Final Fantasy, there's the Conquerers outfit from Sohr Kai and Hullbreaker Hard, and a bunch of Tactics Ogre themed outfits from Fractal and Neverreap.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 30, 2016

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm not sure how they're going to nerf SCH without effectively removing faeries which would be a pity. A better solution would be to give nocturnal AST a "smart heal" or something.

Tempered will doesn't help when the entire rest of the raid flies past you off the edge.

Tempered isn't even the main reason double pld is super nice, you can cycle Divine Veil on Cintamani's and if you have a monk you can cycle it as well. You almost have full coverage on cintamani's, it's pretty feasible to solo heal that fight if people don't die and double PLD makes it even easier to do so.

Hallowed also prevents knockback and debuff from tank buster, which is really nice for panic moments or recovering from mistakes on the other tank's end.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like WAR in theory but something about keeping up storm's eye and storm's path always strikes me as an irritating pain in the rear end when I try to play them

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Hot take: Besides Phoenix and The overall goal of double super forever killing Bahamut for realsies this time you guys Coils' plot is also kind of a wet fart. "Wow guys the allagan's sure love making and sealing up monster!" and "Hey I'm the clone of lovely final boss from the lovely 1.0 storyline that none of you played and I'm still super crazy about Dalamud/Bahamat!" I mean you get a lot of character moments for Alilsae and Alphinaud which I guess is cool but they're kind of these lease fun Scions that aren't Minfillia but I really don't care because it always came across as a little forced. A&A are super important to the overall MSQ/World lore and their Louisox's grandkids and direct blood heirs to his legacy. Hell even now Alphinaud runs the Scions and Ali has a unique magical sword book/weapon type. I just don't particularly care for the elf twins and the fact that the coil story is more focusing on their story and how they fit into to world and are important is kind of a downer. The poo poo with Mide is a lot worse because it's an overly melodramatic new character in a plot where everyone else is pretty lighthearted about it, but both raids Character Story bits are not great.

Both have FC and AC have spectacular boss fights though and the final tier for both are easily most well designed stuff in their series.

Ciaphas posted:

I like WAR in theory but something about keeping up storm's eye and storm's path always strikes me as an irritating pain in the rear end when I try to play them

Can't you onl keep one up at a time now? Or did I imagine that change?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Don't bother with storm's path unless you actually need it, i.e. people are going to die if it's not up. Then it just becomes a matter of alternating between eye and butcher's block.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Kweh.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skaw posted:

You can also do a really convincing 8bit black mage themed glamour, and pull off a close approximation of a Viera as a highlander lady with bits of the gold saucer stuff.
What hat do you use for the black mage glamour? I haven't found one that's pointy, sticks straight up, and doesn't have the awful eyepatch that the BLM AF/Warrior of Darkness BLM hats have.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Also that's not even mentioning that I'm pretty sure since the daughters have a damage push (if you take no damage you don't move) paladins can probably negate the daughter's push all together for the party (use tempered will or stoneskin on yourself)

I need to test this though since I'm not sure how much the daughter deals to non-tanks. She deals like 1k to me iirc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't bother with storm's path unless you actually need it, i.e. people are going to die if it's not up. Then it just becomes a matter of alternating between eye and butcher's block.

So noted, if I play WAR tonight I'll try playing that way, thanks. I really like DRK more aesthetically but triple Fell Cleave feels too good to pass up

Seems like there are even less tanks out there than usual since I came back last week, is that just me? 10+ minute queues on new content as a healer seems pretty loving weird.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

As a general rule, you'll just be keeping up Storm's Eye alongside your Butcher's Block threat combo, and if there are parts of the fight that (mechanically or due to the party happening to be struggling on that occasion) call for the use of Storm's Path, you scrap either Storm's Eye or Butcher's Block for it as needed.

Don't try to keep up both of them at all times, especially while also main tanking. Also holding threat on the things you're supposed to hold threat on, is more important than either of them.

If you have one of those ninjas who's goddamn well insistent on using Dancing Edge rotationally despite your consistently using Storm's Eye (and not just because of mechanics that prevent them from doing Aeolian Edge positioning), you can also just shrug and let them, and use Storm's Path instead. A smidge less personal deeps because Storm's Path is lower potency than Storm's Eye, but if it makes your healers more comfortable it might get some more damage out of them.

If you have a WAR/WAR combo you can also have the MT do Storm's Path/Butcher's Block while the OT does Storm's Eye/Butcher's Block. (Or vice versa, but might as well have the self-heals from Storm's Path go to MT.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope Yuna's outfit isn't genderlocked because I think it'll look p. sweet stretched out on a Male Roe. Side note: I really appreciate Yuna's X design having a really sensible pair of boots. Makes a lot of sense for their walking pilgrimage.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope Yuna's outfit isn't genderlocked because I think it'll look p. sweet stretched out on a Male Roe.

They are.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Armor of Light (FF1 Warrior of Light Gear): Labyrinth of the Ancients Tank Gear.
Firion Attire (FF2 Wild Rose Gear): 840 Days Veteran Reward, all classes and jobs.
Onion Knight Armors (FF3 Gear): Helm is a 1.0 Legacy Exclusive for Collectors Edition owners. Doublet, Pants, and Shoes were from 1.0 GC Leves, but can still rarely be found from Quick Ventures. Labyrinth of the Ancients also has very classy looking DRG gear, but the headpiece is far different from the signature Onion Knight Helm. "Red Onion Knight Helm" for tanks can be obtained rarely from Quick Ventures, and bought on the market board.
Cecil Harvey Items (FF4 Gear) Cecil's Dark Knight Helm is a Collector's Edition bonus for Heavensward. Baron Coronet and Earrings were Heavensward Pre-Order Bonuses.
Cloud Strife junk (FF7 Gear): 720 Days Veteran Reward, all classes and jobs.
Squall Leonhart Attire (FF8 Gear): Future 1220(?) Days Veteran Reward, all classes and jobs.
Zidane Tribal Outfit (FF9 Gear): 1080 Days Veteran Reward, all classes and jobs. Full set looks ridiculous on anything but lalafell or miqote.
Tidus & Yuna Respective Gender-locked Clothing (FF10 Gear): 2016 Fan Fest items, still incoming.
Lightning & Snow Dress-Up (FF13 Gear): From the Lightning Returns event in the game two years ago. Weapons and Armor still available through purchase on Mog Station, though I think they're rather expensive.

I think that covers it for now? We'll likely be getting a Final Fantasy XV event at some point within a few months of XV's release. Hard to say if any equipment will be involved, but I'd say it's likely.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

The thing you have to realize is that sophia is basically a total snowball fight: the only unavoidable sources of damage are Cintamani/Arms of Wisdom, which are telegraphed. It's extremely easy, until people have too many vuln stacks/raise weaknesses, and then suddenly it' s completely unhealable because nobody will ever stay up long enough to shake off raise weakness.

Hallowed allows the tank to survive Arms of Wisdom no matter how many vuln stacks/weaknesses they have, which gives them time to shake them off before the next one happens. Holm/LD don't work as well unless the WHM is sitting on bene. Cycling Divine Veil allows even multiple vuln stack + Brink of Death Cintamanis to be healed through, or for one healer to solo heal them. Oh yeah, and Shelltron is up for every Arms of Wisdom.

e: oh i missed samba saying this exact thing further up in the thread

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What hat do you use for the black mage glamour? I haven't found one that's pointy, sticks straight up, and doesn't have the awful eyepatch that the BLM AF/Warrior of Darkness BLM hats have.

If it has to be completely straight, there's the Serpentskin Hat of Casting. It has a belt buckle, but no eyepatch.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can basically see the difference between samba and me in that his formulation of that is "pld makes it super smooth when nobody is dying" and mine is all "pld makes it recoverable when everything's gone straight to poo poo"

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
so would you call yourself a reclaim cross-classer or a non reclaim cross-classer

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Office Surprise Store posted:

so would you call yourself a reclaim cross-classer or a non reclaim cross-classer

what crafter am I, I can't answer without that

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
eh just in general, i never cross class it because i believe in F.A.T.E. and also because i don't believe it works as advertised

not that i have like, any evidence about that, i just don't trust it because it's not 100%

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

Hallowed allows the tank to survive Arms of Wisdom no matter how many vuln stacks/weaknesses they have, which gives them time to shake them off before the next one happens. Holm/LD don't work as well unless the WHM is sitting on bene. Cycling Divine Veil allows even multiple vuln stack + Brink of Death Cintamanis to be healed through, or for one healer to solo heal them. Oh yeah, and Shelltron is up for every Arms of Wisdom.

Holmgang is great for the tank buster actually because the tank swap means you shouldn't need immediate healing afterwards, and you don't need to be healed to full unlike LD. It also eliminates the knockback.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Reclaim has saved my skin and gil more times than I care to remember. Thankfully all my spec classes have room for it.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i guess i'm just fast and loose w/ my gil

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Words to live by.

Fister Roboto posted:

Holmgang is great for the tank buster actually because the tank swap means you shouldn't need immediate healing afterwards, and you don't need to be healed to full unlike LD. It also eliminates the knockback.

Of the 3 LD is probably the worst for the tankbuster, but holmgang still leave you with the debuff which hallowed doesn't which means if the other tank is down or braindead for 10 seconds you're still in a bad situation.

That being said WAR is the only tank that legitimately just heal through and survive the debuff while still main tanking.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

same but I'm never sitting higher than 4-5 million because I'll just blow that on materia to overmeld or other dumb poo poo like being too lazy to craft submats.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

While not entirely straight up, the really low level caster hats are of the same style, eyepatch free. They just fold over at the tip. You can dye them the brightest yellow available for that authentic look. The other benefit is that they're all jobs, so you can be a melee black mage with the right item pairings.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

holm doesn't work if the other tank is dead, hallowed does

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
agrias.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The easiest way to get a sophia clear is to just have a bard feed ballad to the healers. At that point you can just chain rez the tanks every tankbuster and still handily beat the enrage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The only beef I have with Sophia is I can't save myself with a jump if I gently caress up a knockback. Fun fight though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

holm doesn't work if the other tank is dead, hallowed does

Samba De Amigo posted:

That being said WAR is the only tank that legitimately just heal through and survive the debuff while still main tanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
why didn't you do it then!!

• Locked thread