Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You don't need a truck. We have a nice black widow rack for the van that holds the bike close to the back. I don't know why the bike is so far out, and why its at an angle. Probably bent the frame/mounting with being so far out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sagebrush posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6GmLvOI.mp4

I'm the little angled flat ground onto the bottom of the hitch assembly

I drove from Illinois to Texas today and saw three motorcycles towing trailers (including the smallest pop-up I've ever seen)

and then, we have this guy

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Coydog posted:

You don't need a truck. We have a nice black widow rack for the van that holds the bike close to the back. I don't know why the bike is so far out, and why its at an angle. Probably bent the frame/mounting with being so far out.

I know a couple that has a double hitch mount on their little Scion (I think the same model as in the clip, don't remember) and they haul both their bikes with it, including on dirt roads.

They have a proper setup with the anti-twist/leveler though, because they're professionals*, and not morons.

*he's actually a ranked AA rider on ther local circuit.

E: might actually be a Matrix, not a Scion, small Toyota though.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Sagebrush posted:

Glad to see Boeing engineers finding new work in these troubling times of uncertainty

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

All I can find for a Scion xD are Class I trailer hitches, which have a 200 pound tongue weight limit. A CR250 weights 215 pounds. Also, those hitch carriers are only Class II or higher. You can see he's got a I to II adapter in there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo does that give me anxiety.

I seriously would have run the tie down all the way to the front of the car and gone around the bike to the bottom of the hitch to secure that thing. drat.

Or, you know, just borrowed/rented a truck

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
At this point, I think it's safer to put it on top of the roof racks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Stuff the rear wheel in the hatch, hold the bike in with cargo straps, and leave the front wheel trailing on the ground behind the car.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Do big bikes like Goldwings and HDs have tow ratings? Obviously lots of them drag little trailers around, but is there any manufacturer certification or recommendation?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it depends on the hitch, but they can move a lot of weight as long as the tongue weight isn’t crazy.

Goldwings have even been used as automotive tow rigs

https://youtu.be/EiojZ7HfCWo

The internet seems to suggest that people tow upwards of 750lbs with goldwings, if the trailer has brakes. The main issue seems to be braking and the trailer trying to push the rear wheel around. Trailer brakes solve this problem.

Lots of folks tow small stuff like dirt bikes on trailers like this C-channel one or the smallest harbor freight trailer without issue though.

I’d venture a guess that the big Harley’s would be pretty similar

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 21, 2020

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah I was thinking of that Goldwing towing a car after I asked. I meant do motorcycle manufacturers provide towing weight certifications like car makers do or if it’s all on the customer to figure out (and their responsibility when it goes bad).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Where does that hitch actually attach to? The swingarm or the rear subframe?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On mine it attaches laterally to the frame right near the foot peg mounts. This is for pulling and ensures that it has minimal impact on the rear wheel.

It also attaches to the main frame right behind the seat/under the top box. That is for vertical forces

It’s then also braced right near the hitch to keep it from wobbling around.

The trailer hitches are designed to pull a lot more weight than they can hold, if that makes sense. You’re supposed to balance your trailer to have only like 20lbs of tongue weight

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 21, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My sidecar rig pushes the bike around enough - I don't want to think about having 750lbs of poo poo in a trailer with no brakes shoving the rear wheel around. I guess the brake setup + low sales volumes explain why trailers for bikes are so damned expensive, though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Sagebrush posted:

There's a lot to unpack in this. I think I've watched it 100x by now. This is a great example of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

• 1-1/4" hitch
  • 1-1/4 to 2" adapter
  • This style of that carrier hangs much further away from the vehicle than most others (black widow etc)
  • Bike likely weighs 230lbs, plus the weight of the carrier ... likely another 80lbs. Very loosely estimating ~ 300lbs total not to mention the added distance away from the tongue all this weight is sitting.
  • I'm guessing that Scion has a class 1, *maybe* a class 2 hitch at best putting the tongue weight at a max of like 350 lbs.
  • Given the weight and short wheelbase, low ride and weight of the scion, and how far behind the hitch that weight is sitting, that cars front end is probably floating while driving

I would have cancelled whatever plans I had that day just to follow this guy home and watch the rest of his trip. I've got a black widow hitch carrier for my 4runner and WR and even I notice my front end being a little lighter. I can't fathom doing that in a little scion. I would say he's probably got flat spots on his bike tires after this but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would even notice.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Verman posted:

I've got a black widow hitch carrier for my 4runner and WR and even I notice my front end being a little lighter.

I learned this the hard way. My Tacoma has a Class IV towing package, and I carry my DR650 on a homebuilt (by a professional welder) hitch carrier that weighs about 80#. I was travelling about 70 mph on the interstate in rush hour traffic, following the car in front of me too closely, and got as close to locking up the brakes as possible when I had to panic stop. ABS kicked on pretty much immediately and the tires were still screeching loud as gently caress and it took a long time to come to a stop. Scared the piss out of everyone around me plus myself. While the amount of weight being carried isn't a big deal, the fact that it unweights the front wheels is some real poo poo that needs to be accounted for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Allow me to share with you maybe the single most backwards and janky way to change a tire in the history of garage fuckery.

The front tire has been slowly losing air on the Goldwing since, well, last year when I got it. It finally got bad enough that it wouldn’t hold air overnight anymore. I did a bit of troubleshooting and discovered it’s leaking from like 30 separate spots on the bead. It was also kind of junk from day one, constantly trying to initiate tankslappers and being pretty sketchy in corners. I learned to ride around it but it wasn’t good.

So, since there are probably only like 6 or 8 decent riding weeks left in the year I did the galaxy brain thing and ordered a cheapo Shinko off Dennis Kirk. I’ll just replace both of them next year with some decent rubber Narrator Voice: He Won’t

The tire shipped yesterday and I called up my local shop to see if they could mount it. “Nope, we only mount tires we sell”. That’s some bullshit right there.

So I was gonna have to mount it myself. With exactly none of the appropriate tools outside of tire irons.

So how do you break a bead when you don’t have a beak breaker? You stick the tire in a vise and crank it down till the bead pops. When that doesn’t work even a little bit you get creative and cut the tire off the bead with a razor blade.

The inside of the tire and rim was extremely grody and that did not bode well for getting the remaining bead off

So back in the vise it goes.

At this point I wound up having to use a clamp to keep the tire from moving and crank the vise down as hard as I could. I was then able to work a tire lever in between the vise and rim and get the bead off

Some more swearing and knuckle breaking and it was done

New valve stem and Shinko went on with no drama, and miraculously I was able to re-use the existing wheel weights by just moving them around.

The Goldwing handles as much like a dream as you can expect a 1986 Goldwing to handle like a dream. Gone are the constant tankslappers and at least it feels planted in corners now

Bask in my shame

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 22, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Well done. You can also use an angle grinder to remove the beads

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I hate when repair shops do the whole "we don't use parts we don't sell, because we've 'had trouble'" thing.
It's just a lazy excuse to sell you their lovely parts at 2-3x the price.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I thought about the angle grinder but I had visions of the rubber grabbing the grinder disk and putting big gouges in my wheel/bead area

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Soapy water is critical for tire changes. Cold tires take more effort to flex too. Leave them in the sun or indoors for a bit.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Verman posted:

There's a lot to unpack in this. I think I've watched it 100x by now. This is a great example of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

• 1-1/4" hitch
  • 1-1/4 to 2" adapter
  • This style of that carrier hangs much further away from the vehicle than most others (black widow etc)
  • Bike likely weighs 230lbs, plus the weight of the carrier ... likely another 80lbs. Very loosely estimating ~ 300lbs total not to mention the added distance away from the tongue all this weight is sitting.
  • I'm guessing that Scion has a class 1, *maybe* a class 2 hitch at best putting the tongue weight at a max of like 350 lbs.
  • Given the weight and short wheelbase, low ride and weight of the scion, and how far behind the hitch that weight is sitting, that cars front end is probably floating while driving

I would have cancelled whatever plans I had that day just to follow this guy home and watch the rest of his trip. I've got a black widow hitch carrier for my 4runner and WR and even I notice my front end being a little lighter. I can't fathom doing that in a little scion. I would say he's probably got flat spots on his bike tires after this but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would even notice.

You guys are overthinking it. They put the tow hitch on this way so they could open the rear hatch door without having to take the bike off the carrier.

Or, maybe they downgraded their car and didn't want to spend :tenbux: on a properly sized towing system.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SEKCobra posted:

I hate when repair shops do the whole "we don't use parts we don't sell, because we've 'had trouble'" thing.
It's just a lazy excuse to sell you their lovely parts at 2-3x the price.
We use parts that customers bring in and we have a discussion every year about whether we should stop doing it because it can be such a pain in the rear end. Many times a year a difficult person will bring in things that don't fit or are a piece of poo poo or have some obvious or hidden issue that becomes our problem and we're not even getting a markup on the part for dealing with it. If we got the battery/tire/whatever from our distributor and there's a problem it's a simple task to get a replacement or a refund and it won't be a hassle. The avenue for dealing with the problem is established and straightforward.

Your perspective there seems to imply to me that you think there are never problems with poo poo people bring in from home or that it costs a shop nothing to deal with those problems.

Also aren't you the guy who seemingly criticized me for our shop mounting a customer's horrible ebay tires once and when I asked for clarification you never responded?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Your perspective there seems to imply to me that you think there are never problems with poo poo people bring in from home or that it costs a shop nothing to deal with those problems.

It's this.

I loving looove it when your dumb German dadbike has to sit in my garage for weeks as you exchange incoherent emails with the Russians you bought the parts from.

I'm thrilled every time I have to move your Ducati's disemboweled carcass out the way, miserable turning circle and all, while you try to argue with the factory about base gaskets.

Italian forks on a Japanese bike you say? Sure, yes, exactly what we agreed on! No, your childlike impatience hasn't resulted in a multi-seasonal journey with a a cataclysmic bill at the end :sun:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

We use parts that customers bring in and we have a discussion every year about whether we should stop doing it because it can be such a pain in the rear end. Many times a year a difficult person will bring in things that don't fit or are a piece of poo poo or have some obvious or hidden issue that becomes our problem and we're not even getting a markup on the part for dealing with it. If we got the battery/tire/whatever from our distributor and there's a problem it's a simple task to get a replacement or a refund and it won't be a hassle. The avenue for dealing with the problem is established and straightforward.

Also aren't you the guy who seemingly criticized me for our shop mounting a customer's horrible ebay tires once and when I asked for clarification you never responded?

Slavvy posted:

It's this.

I loving looove it when your dumb German dadbike has to sit in my garage for weeks as you exchange incoherent emails with the Russians you bought the parts from.

I'm thrilled every time I have to move your Ducati's disemboweled carcass out the way, miserable turning circle and all, while you try to argue with the factory about base gaskets.

Italian forks on a Japanese bike you say? Sure, yes, exactly what we agreed on! No, your childlike impatience hasn't resulted in a multi-seasonal journey with a a cataclysmic bill at the end :sun:

I 100% believe both of you and know it's probably even worse than I imagine and I totally get why shops won't warranty work on parts you brought in, but it would be really nice if more shops would look at a tire and say "yeah, that's a major manufacturer, it's new, and the date code is reasonable, $40 or whatever." I do have the sense now to call a shop and ask them ahead of time "hey, if I buy these tires from this seller, will you put em on?" I've gotten No's and Yes's, and it saves everyone some irritation I hope.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My local shop will use whatever parts and tires you have, but they're competitive on pricing so I don't bother. I have in the past used my own (OEM) parts at the car mechanic, but with the understanding that if the part failed there's no warranty on the hours to replace it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's been a while since I worked at a shop, but we installed whatever people brought in. But we also specialized in custom fabrication, so none of that was a big deal. Our yard was full of cars and bikes that were waiting on parts, sometimes custom-made parts from across the world. And we billed by the hour for most fab jobs, so I was happy to see your eBay exhaust missing all but one rear hanger, because I'm going to charge you $$$ to weld the rest of them. And if that used abs module came from a wrong car at the junk yard, it's on you, buddy. Either bring me the correct part before the day is over, or I'm putting this thing back together and billing you all the same 🤷

The mechanic I go to now is exactly the same, and I love it. I make sure 3 times over that the parts I bring are up to spec, or it's going to cost me. And that's cool

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 23, 2020

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Well obviously I expect the shop to not warranty my own parts. I'm also not talking about mounting lovely brakes or tires or anything else safety critical which can't be reasonably verified.
But mounting a tire from any of the major brands is not exactly a job I would expect to result in too many comebacks, because if the tire fails it's your own problem, not the shops.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Alternative: support your good nice local mechanic who gives you discounts and free advice by buying stuff through them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

Alternative: support your good nice local mechanic who gives you discounts and free advice by buying stuff through them

Yeah do this. If he's any good he'll know what to get better than you do anyway.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Shelvocke posted:

I don't have one of those, I only get to choose between dealerships that charge premium rates for everything and independent shops that sell me aftermarket parts at the same cost as original dealership parts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitrox posted:

It's been a while since I worked at a shop, but we installed whatever people brought in. But we also specialized in custom fabrication, so none of that was a big deal. Our yard was full of cars and bikes that were waiting on parts, sometimes custom-made parts from across the world. And we billed by the hour for most fab jobs, so I was happy to see your eBay exhaust missing all but one rear hanger, because I'm going to charge you $$$ to weld the rest of them. And if that used abs module came from a wrong car at the junk yard, it's on you, buddy. Either bring me the correct part before the day is over, or I'm putting this thing back together and billing you all the same 🤷

The mechanic I go to now is exactly the same, and I love it. I make sure 3 times over that the parts I bring are up to spec, or it's going to cost me. And that's cool

That owns, but also I imagine results in a lot of lost time arguing with bullheaded customers who think they know better than you.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There's no such thing as an independent bike mechanic around me, they're all attached to dealers. If they're going to be working on the bike, I buy the parts through them - the hassle of what you guys describe isn't worth the possible savings of buying eBay parts.

The only exception to this is tires, and it pisses me off that they all charge $25 per wheel, already off the bike, if the tire's bought through them for an inflated price they won't negotiate or match to other vendors. It's $50 per wheel for tires bought elsewhere, if they'll even mount them. Only ONCE have I received wheels back without new scratches in the paint. Again, these are dealers, so I assume they're using actual tire mounting machines and not a steel hoop and some spoons. :argh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You, an idiot: motorcycles don’t get women

This guy; noted galaxy brain:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

gently caress I've been doing it wrong this whole time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It just gets better the more you look at it

Girl in the back appears to be sitting directly on the subframe? Also has her feet on the exhaust hanger

Middle girl has her feet right on the mid pipe to exhaust flange

Front girl has her legs actually on the passenger pegs but if you just glance at the image it looks like she’s wearing jeans and has the longest legs ever and the guy piloting the bike has a set of white girl legs on him

Also there is a fuckoff huge bag on the tank obscuring all of the gauges and at least part of the road

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ya the backpack just plopped up on the tank is what really got me

dude must have sick balance

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the huge dick he's obviously slinging likely helps centralize mass

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i just assumed he's a pimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That just looks like a typical SE Asia mototaxi ride.