Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY436JiiCjg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlfKE2D16Fc

E: Well, that's what I get for not realizing there was another page. Have this one instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvemPyOJZEY

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 18, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you actually want a sense of scale for one besides some leaves and rocks, this video is good for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uXSsQWmS8U

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nenonen posted:

I thought microwaves go on top of the clothes dryer?

But seriously, that setup never happens here and there's obvious reasons why no sane person wants that.

LOL sure. Thanks for the perspective.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Platystemon posted:

If you actually want a sense of scale for one besides some leaves and rocks, this video is good for that.

my god, it's huge! :eyepop:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

StormDrain posted:

LOL sure. Thanks for the perspective.

I'll support him in having never seen it outside of pictures of US kitchens. I don't have an opinion on it outside that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Computer viking posted:

I'll support him in having never seen it outside of pictures of US kitchens. I don't have an opinion on it outside that.
Where do they typically go for you? It's been a while since I was outside the US in something other than vacation-y setups.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Elysiume posted:

Where do they typically go for you? It's been a while since I was outside the US in something other than vacation-y setups.

On a kitchen bench (typically in an otherwise inconvenient corner) seems most common. I've seen one on top of the fridge, but that seems way worse than over the stove.

You know, I realize I don't know how many kitchens I have looked at (and noticed the microwave). I'm sure I'll be subconsciously looking for it in the future. :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Computer viking posted:

Same. I dunno it looks like it would get in the way of the extractor hood for the range to me. Unless they managed to cram one in.

I prefer non built in microwaves so I can just get a new one cheaply. We have a shelf in our kitchen, was meant to take a built in model but it was so expensive we said gently caress that noise and turned it into a regular opening that we put a regular microwave in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I've seen the "use PTFE tape!" and "don't use PTFE tape!" Stuff before. I've used it and it was fine so who knows, I guess just do whatever?

Also in case anyone has one: you can use ptfe to fix a leaky stove top coffee maker by wrapping it around the basket to seal it between the basket rim and the base. I learned this from a guy on YouTube doing it in his tiny kitchen in eastern Europe so that was good.

Just occurred to me that I might be drinking ptfe laced coffee though. Hmmm.

In industry they always use natural fibre with locking.. stuff. (Or at least they're supposed to. I mean the certifiers won't unscrew every loving fitting now will they.)

e: Tape will start leaking if you screw back even a little bit. Also the fibre will swell with moisture so it's kinda anti-leak naturally. If you're installing your washing machine, it doesn't really matter because you'll notice real soon if it leaks.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 18, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Washing machine hoses are face‐sealed, you philistine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Washing machine hoses are face‐sealed, you philistine.

None of the ones I've seen have been :shrug:

e: Oh wait yeah there is a gasket in the female end. Welp, just proves my point it doesn't matter what you put on the threads there!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Same. I dunno it looks like it would get in the way of the extractor hood for the range to me. Unless they managed to cram one in.

I prefer non built in microwaves so I can just get a new one cheaply. We have a shelf in our kitchen, was meant to take a built in model but it was so expensive we said gently caress that noise and turned it into a regular opening that we put a regular microwave in.

They do. Combining a range hood and a microwave is apparently the one thing the US does that conserves space.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was just at a rental that had one of those below counter height microwaving drawers. I think I was into it? Only annoying part was that particular model forced you to pull the drawer out 100% before allowing you to close it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love my lil corner microwave, the door sits high enough that you can set a bowl of food down in front of it and not hit the bowl when opening it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whs-EUIsaO4

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Platystemon posted:

No joke my woodworking teacher at school was called Mr Woodcock.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cat Hatter posted:

They do. Combining a range hood and a microwave is apparently the one thing the US does that conserves space.

The combinations suck rear end though. The units are limited in how tall they can be and the capacity of the microwave is a selling point listed on the box while the actual performance of the extraction system (beyond raw cfm) isn't. You can't route air ducts through the microwave cavity and a proper air collection hood takes vertical space, so the manufacturers prioritize maximizing the microwave capacity above all else.

You end up with huge microwaves with dinky little intakes located near the middle-back of the device and pathetic mm-high overhangs around the edge. The fans are utterly useless on any setting other than high but are very loud on high because they are trying to move air through very narrow passages to hit the flow rate number. Even on high they can't properly pull from over the front elements (the ones people use most often).

I really hope that the recent focus on indoor air quality from cooking (particularly with gas) results in standards and regulations mandating actually effective air extraction over cooktops, which would probably completely eliminate combination microwave hoods.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

No joke my woodworking teacher at school was called Mr Woodcock.

I thought he taught gym class?

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

moist turtleneck posted:

I love my lil corner microwave, the door sits high enough that you can set a bowl of food down in front of it and not hit the bowl when opening it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whs-EUIsaO4

:confused: But how am I going to fit a whole turkey in that?

Jows
May 8, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

The combinations suck rear end though. The units are limited in how tall they can be and the capacity of the microwave is a selling point listed on the box while the actual performance of the extraction system (beyond raw cfm) isn't. You can't route air ducts through the microwave cavity and a proper air collection hood takes vertical space, so the manufacturers prioritize maximizing the microwave capacity above all else.

This. If I had more counter space I'd like to get a proper vent hood, but my kitchen is small :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Put the microwave over the oven, and build the range into the counter.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jows posted:

This. If I had more counter space I'd like to get a proper vent hood, but my kitchen is small :(

Same. I am currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel and desperately wanted a real hood vent, but counterspace is at a premium and I use my microwave constantly so OTR microwave with loud as gently caress fan it is. I did not have enough space for a drawer-style microwave either. :( The struggle is real.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have one of those rising downdraft extractors that cost a fortune and doesn't work which we didn't realise because we didn't check when we bought the place. I suspect that it's just not wired into its base transformer properly because the base unit does power on but I haven't got round to getting under the units to have a look.

Even then, I strongly suspect it does not do anything useful.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sirotan posted:

Same. I am currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel and desperately wanted a real hood vent, but counterspace is at a premium and I use my microwave constantly so OTR microwave with loud as gently caress fan it is. I did not have enough space for a drawer-style microwave either. :( The struggle is real.

The previous owner of our house stuck their microwave in the pantry closet (which used to be where the washing machine was so there is an outlet). I wouldn't have throughly to use it if I hadn't seen it when we were looking to buy but the location works surprisingly well!

Jows
May 8, 2002

My in-laws have a really nice range hood that they specified and had installed and then have never used it. The plastic is still on the grates, and because my MIL has been cooking on the stovetop for almost 20 years there's nasty greasy buildup over the plastic. It's gross.

Jows fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 18, 2023

Jows
May 8, 2002

I'm dumb

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Do rooftop-mounted range hood motors exist in the US in residential buildings? That's the most common non-combined setup I've seen here. Seemingly basically universal outside of apartment buildings and similar where they annoyingly combine it with the overall ventilation/extraction system, which depending on how old your building is might be useless (like mine, which runs on a timer and the high speed mode which actually does something to cooking fumes and smells and moisture from the sauna and the bathroom only engages four times a day for an hour each) or if you have your own ventilation unit that you can manually control might actually do its job almost as well as a separate hood fan.

But yeah, the one at my parents' house for example is just a long duct from the grease filters on the hood (which obviously also has the controls for the fan) up to the roof where the actual motor and fan exist in one compact unit at the tip of the extraction pipe. Consequently it tends to freeze over during the winter during rapid temperature shifts and moisture builds up inside it that then freezes. It usually gets going after a while though. I imagine it'd be much better in less extreme climates.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Ruflux posted:

Do rooftop-mounted range hood motors exist in the US in residential buildings? That's the most common non-combined setup I've seen here. Seemingly basically universal outside of apartment buildings and similar where they annoyingly combine it with the overall ventilation/extraction system, which depending on how old your building is might be useless (like mine, which runs on a timer and the high speed mode which actually does something to cooking fumes and smells and moisture from the sauna and the bathroom only engages four times a day for an hour each) or if you have your own ventilation unit that you can manually control might actually do its job almost as well as a separate hood fan.

But yeah, the one at my parents' house for example is just a long duct from the grease filters on the hood (which obviously also has the controls for the fan) up to the roof where the actual motor and fan exist in one compact unit at the tip of the extraction pipe. Consequently it tends to freeze over during the winter during rapid temperature shifts and moisture builds up inside it that then freezes. It usually gets going after a while though. I imagine it'd be much better in less extreme climates.

Sounds a lot more useful than most of the ones I've seen in CA. My current place is the first one I've lived in with a range hood that vents outside, most of them just blow directly at face level through a useless grease filter.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I have one of those rising downdraft extractors that cost a fortune and doesn't work which we didn't realise because we didn't check when we bought the place. I suspect that it's just not wired into its base transformer properly because the base unit does power on but I haven't got round to getting under the units to have a look.

Even then, I strongly suspect it does not do anything useful.

My mother in law loves her downdraft extractor even though you can see that it grabs maybe half the steam. Whenever my in-laws are being weird I just assume it's because they're German.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I think even the appliance sales person strongly discouraged the high dollar popup downdraft as they just are not effective.

I chose my OTR microwave based on it having high cooking wattage and a high cfm fan. It's loud, and recirculates. My house doesn't have the ductwork yet to route it outside but it will eventually.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’ve never lived someplace with any sort of vent hood that actually extracted (as opposed to a lovely filter and back out into the kitchen) so y’all are all living a life of luxury afaict

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Dave posted:

I was just at a rental that had one of those below counter height microwaving drawers. I think I was into it? Only annoying part was that particular model forced you to pull the drawer out 100% before allowing you to close it.

We considered that option but they're much more expensive and at least according to some of the people we talked to, more prone to failure.

We redid our layout and will have one mounted in a full height cabinet like you often see with ovens. It's a regular countertop model but with a fancy trim kit. The trim kit cost as much as the microwave.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I do like just having a low microwave shelf under the counter. Nothing specific to a built in though, just a flat surface with an outlet in the back.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the yeti posted:

I’ve never lived someplace with any sort of vent hood that actually extracted (as opposed to a lovely filter and back out into the kitchen) so y’all are all living a life of luxury afaict

I literally have no idea if mine actually extracts. There's ducting above the stove that goes up into the ceiling but also there's like filtered exhaust looking ports on the front right under the microwave. I can't feel air moving out of it...I think?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I literally have no idea if mine actually extracts. There's ducting above the stove that goes up into the ceiling but also there's like filtered exhaust looking ports on the front right under the microwave. I can't feel air moving out of it...I think?

Your attic is completely full of grease.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

sleepy gary posted:

That’s extra insulation, and it’s rust-inhibiting!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VelociBacon posted:

If you can't feel air moving* you're good. The vent ports are there because the unit can be set up to either vent outside or recirculate.

* dip your fingers in water, if air is moving you'll feel one side of your finger get significantly colder than the other due to the evaporation of the water on one side.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Alternatively, light a match and blow it out so you can watch the smoke follow air currents.

Mostly useful for more gentle currents though.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

sleepy gary posted:

If I had to pick I’d prefer kitchen vent over bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Wasabi the J posted:

Your buddy, whose name is Spam? Or your buddy's Spam lasagna?

Yes