Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

new vegas> dead money> fallout 1> fallout 2> far harbour> honest hearts>fallout 4> fallout tv show> lonesome road> old world blues> fallout 3

didn't play 76 or fallout tactics. might play tactics soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the only contentious part of that post ^ is that honest hearts is obviously unfinished. but whats there is more interesting than a lot of fallout 4. farewell.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Don’t play tactics,no-one deserves that kind of punishment.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Tactics is ok.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also neat hearing Inon Zur's first take on Fallout music before he really codified the modern Fallout theme song with 3.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Old World Blues is good actually

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Old World Blues is good actually

what do you like about it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My brain. And Mobius. And the Think Tank.

The Sink can be grating but the main scientists are all hilarious.

I just wish that it didn't take 30 minutes to start.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Has the best ending slide for Rex.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Dongicus posted:

Mostly the dialogue and performances you get from the main and side characters. Love getting building yourself a new little home base, poking around all the side-quest labs, and having some fun new items for energy weapons characters

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

poison immunity

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the booping stick

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skinvelopes and RICHIE MARCUS

Is it bad that I feel more sympathy for the Great Khans than I do for the Mojave Brotherhood, based entirely on the fact that Jack is the coolest stoner in the wasteland this side of Professor Goodfeels?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Old World Blues was aggravating because of the enemy spawns out of nowhere but it made me laugh a lot

“Hear that Becky? Richie. Likes. Balls”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Arc Hammer posted:

Skinvelopes and RICHIE MARCUS

Is it bad that I feel more sympathy for the Great Khans than I do for the Mojave Brotherhood, based entirely on the fact that Jack is the coolest stoner in the wasteland this side of Professor Goodfeels?

My take on the Mojave Brotherhood has always been that there's assholes in the bunker, but not everyone is an rear end in a top hat, and under the leadership of McNamara they're just doing their best to survive. In their best ending, they even make peace with the NCR and help patrol the Mojave, which is a net positive for the entire region.

The Khans are raiders with aspirations that sell drugs to the Fiends, who are arguably the biggest assholes in the entire game, and their best ending is loving off and going somewhere else. Like the Brotherhood, not everyone is an rear end in a top hat, but I've never been particularly sympathetic towards the faction on the whole.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Khans are messy because on the whole they are not pleasant people and are looked down on with good reason. But they're also a long lasting group that has managed to survive in one form or another for over 100 years while other raider tribes and gangs have gone extinct. It's a blurry line with the Khans between what distinguishes a functioning society from a gang of raiders. They've got more going for them than a group like the Vipers, but despite their longevity they haven't made the same strides as the NCR or the Legion towards becoming an organized society. Part of that comes down to the constant antagonism from the NCR over their historical grievances, but part of it is the Khans' own stubbornness and refusal to change in a wasteland that doesn't have time or patience left for bandits. At what point does a raider tribe get a legacy participation award that grants them status as a recognized society.

I'm not sure that I really like the way USA-Indigenous human rights violations are alluded to with the NCR-Khans dynamic since, as mentioned, the wasteland has a very good reason to dislike the Khans. While that doesn't justify something like Bitter Springs, it's still messy to make the comparison to native groups in the USA. I also think it's for the best that the Khans ditch town and head for Wyoming, and hopefully the Followers of the Apocalypse can help them learn to finally be something other than drug dealing wannabe warlords.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It is a shame that horses are canonically extinct because a future title set in Wyoming with the Khans in full-force as techno-Mongols would be pretty badass.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Don’t worry a vault somewhere is populated entirely by horses for some reason.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The khans are a functioning society, they have their own culture including linguistic tics, coming of age rituals and ideas of adulthood, and clearly defined methods of labor organization and hierarchy. Just because they arent emulating failed civilizations of the past doesnt mean they arent a functioning society.

Theyre a group who has to inhabit an economic niche (drug running) because theyve been pushed to marginal lands by an expanding imperial power

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Counterpoint: they are absolutely emulating failed civilizations of the past, those civilizations being "prior incarnations of the Khans" and the emulation being "Starting poo poo with Shady Sands/NCR" :v:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the khans are victims of genocide. the east and west coast brotherood of steel are fascists who should all be killled. farewell.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dongicus posted:

the khans are victims of genocide. the east and west coast brotherood of steel are fascists who should all be killled. farewell.

this, tbh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWiI613D7So

Chalk this one up to another thing I never considered doing in my playthroughs. This loving game I swear what didn't they think of?
The only thing I've seen the game not account for is, if you beeline to Vegas straight from Goodsprings, kill Benny and then come back to Goodsprings, the dialogue options to ask about Benny are all still there. Every other step of the main quest makes sense if you've already killed Benny before doing it.

Dongicus posted:

The environment design is really well done, there's tons of little things and interactions that make exploration feel rewarding, such as the cannon you can fire that unlocks loot in another area, or the concentration camp where you find a diary from Elijah that mentions he saw someone watching him and if you go to the place he was talking about you find Christine's rifle, or the fact that if you kill all the robobrains on the stealth course before it starts then you get chided but it still lets you complete the course. I was bumbling around Higgs Village and saw you could get up on the roofs, and I went up there for fun not expecting to find anything, but they'd put a little skeleton in a chair up there just for me.

There are also some creative solutions to the fact that they had little to no art budget- using the rarely seen Night Stalker enemy and cut LAER weapon from the main game, shoving a skeleton into a spacesuit to create a new enemy type with a dark as hell backstory, giving you a wearable Ghost People outfit from Dead Money, etc.

And of course the writing is a standout. The Think Tank and the various helper characters in your player home are packed full of character and jokes and the odd dark moment, and the backstory establishes the place as a nexus for a bunch of events both in the main game and the other DLCs, both the Sierra Madre and Ulysses's odyssey.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

played through FNV many times over the years but never touched any of the DLC until a few days ago. Thought Honest Hearts was ok but I loving hate Dead Money, two big irradiated thumbs down from me. Hoping the rest are alright.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thunderspanks posted:

played through FNV many times over the years but never touched any of the DLC until a few days ago. Thought Honest Hearts was ok but I loving hate Dead Money, two big irradiated thumbs down from me. Hoping the rest are alright.

The rule of thumb for new Vegas DLC is that everyone hates one, loves one, and likes two, but which ones are which is an individual thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

The rule of thumb for new Vegas DLC is that everyone hates one, loves one, and likes two, but which ones are which is an individual thing.

Yeah they're very good that way. Each of them tries for something very different. Good DLC oftens tends to try and do something a bit different.

Even though I don't think they all work that well, and there's a clear worst, I do like that Fallout 3 also made all its DLC's have quite different vibes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Every DLC is worth playing even if its just to find you don't like it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Buschmaki posted:

Theyre a group who has to inhabit an economic niche (drug running) because theyve been pushed to marginal lands by an expanding imperial power

I'm just saying that if you're gonna draw a parallel to the US government's treatment of indigenous groups via the Bitter Springs Massacre it might not be the best idea to also describe the Indigenous stand-ins as drug addicts and alcoholics.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i generally don't really care at all to relitigate the whole "are the great khans a stand-in for indigenous american peoples" all i know is that they have very good reasons to despise the NCR but can still be reasoned with, and the brotherhood of steel are willing to murder a chapter of the followers of the apocalypse because they're mad that a member whose sexuality they tried to suppress wants to leave

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hulking individuals moving around after dusk are difficult to reason with, it's true.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
started playing TTW again after the show reinvigorated my zest for irradiated life and I forgot just how finicky everything involving the Omertas questline is, like going line by line through the wiki to avoid losing out on the Pimpboy 3-Billion and also not breaking them by doing them out of order lol

also I don't know if you can ever ask him about it but its funny that the only interaction House has with vault dwellers in FNV is kicking them out of the nearby vault and filling it with concrete, a real 'these people are beneath my notice or contempt' move. given the last episode of the show it'll be interesting to see how that is or isn't retconned in S2

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 22, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Hottest take: I love Old World Blues, don't care for Honest Hearts, absolutely hate Dead Money and Lonesome Road.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

During spinning up my latest New Vegas play through I realised I've never done a run with Weird Wasteland enabled. Is that worth seeing?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
HH just feels so bland and I hate the map but it's the one I do every run. Gotta get that sweet ALSID. Dead money is easily the strongest, thematically, but also the most frustrating. The other two both kinda have too many words but in different ways. I dunno if I'm stupid or what but Ulysses and his crap never clicked with me. First time I did LR I was like what? Did I miss the courier's entire backstory? I am not very smart with story structure and narrative.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not really, most of the "wild" encounters are kinda lame.

I'd only take it if I wasn't interested in taking any other trait. Or get it via a console command as a bonus trait (traits are just perks)

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 22, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

boneration posted:

I dunno if I'm stupid or what but Ulysses and his crap never clicked with me. First time I did LR I was like what? Did I miss the courier's entire backstory? I am not very smart with story structure and narrative.

You're not stupid, you were just exposed to purestrain Avellone and that will do a number on anyone.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bumhead posted:

During spinning up my latest New Vegas play through I realised I've never done a run with Weird Wasteland enabled. Is that worth seeing?

It's mostly pretty minor but it's fun, especially with a mod that makes it a separate toggle from traits. The only reason I'm sad I turned it on this playthrough is no YCS 186, and I might just console command that

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I like Old World Blues for the absurdity of the brains and their 200+ years of obsessing about high school antics. Lonesome Road has good gameplay (and some great gear in the early part to jumpstart a run), my head cannon is that Ulysses is just completely delusional because he really doesn't make much sense. Honest Hearts is kind of bleh and the ''white savior" stuff is a bit off-putting if I think about it. I hate dead money, the gameplay is just annoying and if I wanted some kind of survival game I'd just get a game dedicated to that.

Weird Wasteland is kind of a bizarre thing to make a trait pick - it affects a couple of unique weapon drops and adds a handful of encounters, it doesn't really change the game experience the way you'd expect.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dead money - perfection
Honest hearts - kinda empty, but pleasant to explore nonetheless. A light break from the main story.
Owb - too big, too relentless, too much incongruous stuff, too much forced humor all the time
Lonesome road - no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It's me, I'm the guy who likes all the DLC