Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

Start as a deprived and try different builds, you can respec later so try stuff as you like.

Never start as a deprived unless you want to punish yourself with less stats than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It doesn't need to be a stopgap unless you just want to use something else. It's one of the best weapons in the game for everything and the ultimate "mash butan!!!!" weapon.

I was thinking a spear, actually. My last dex run in the original Dark Souls 2 had me abandon a dex/faith run in favor of power stancing the white and black steel katanas (that was super fun, actually) but I'd still like to give one of the two faith spears a whirl.

This last run was like half a year ago and I'm struggling a lot more than I'd expected. The new enemy placements are cool and a lot tougher than the original (a loving cyclops in the Forest? Though just getting behind them and trapping them in that butt stomp cycle is a lot easier than the Heide Knight was)

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 21, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Now I remember why I REALLY hate Soul Memory: if you lose your bloodstain, your character is permanently gimped by that much. It doesn't sound like much but it adds up. God help you if you want to buy arrows or something, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I know it's not actually that big a deal at the end of the day but every time I buy something I get a little annoyed because that's just wasted souls so far as multiplayer is concerned. Buying that one firebomb to break open the shortcut in the Forest (gently caress you, undead knight, why couldn't you just hit the stupid barrels) doesn't mean anything, but it feels like it does and that's kinda lame.

Though when I think about it, the system could work in an interesting way if it actually was a choice between leveling and upgrading your gear. But it's not so it's just annoying and useless.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm really annoyed that I have to do this, but as I understand it I have no choice: is there someone in here around 2.5 million SM willing to drop the Insolent armorset? Agdayne doesn't sell it and I killed every phantom in the crypt (getting precisely one shield and a shitload of spice for my trouble.)

The chestpiece in particular is a critical part of my fashion souls, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any other options at this point. If it's laying on the ground somewhere, that would be fine too.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, I know it's not actually that big a deal at the end of the day but every time I buy something I get a little annoyed because that's just wasted souls so far as multiplayer is concerned. Buying that one firebomb to break open the shortcut in the Forest (gently caress you, undead knight, why couldn't you just hit the stupid barrels) doesn't mean anything, but it feels like it does and that's kinda lame.

Exactly. Trying to PVP or co-op at low SM is an amazing nightmare too, because you have to ironman it to Straid while meticulously calculating how many souls you absorb. Every non-essential thing you spend souls on (read: not levels or upgrading the only set of gear you'll ever use) will put you at a marked disadvantage against people who DID min-max their character. Basically, you're allowed to enjoy PVE or PVP/Co-op with Soul Memory, but not both.

King of Solomon posted:

I'm really annoyed that I have to do this, but as I understand it I have no choice: is there someone in here around 2.5 million SM willing to drop the Insolent armorset? Agdayne doesn't sell it and I killed every phantom in the crypt (getting precisely one shield and a shitload of spice for my trouble.)

The chestpiece in particular is a critical part of my fashion souls, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any other options at this point. If it's laying on the ground somewhere, that would be fine too.

You can always use Ascetics to respawn black phantoms. Of course, then you have to use an Ascetic, which has its own problems.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 21, 2015

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alabaster White posted:

You can always use Ascetics to respawn black phantoms. Of course, then you have to use an Ascetic, which has its own problems.

I thought bonfire ascetics don't respawn these specific phantoms?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I thought bonfire ascetics don't respawn these specific phantoms?

Ascetics respawn everything forever, as far as I know. I think there are a couple strange exceptions but if they're ordinary black phantoms, it should work just fine.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Exactly. Trying to PVP or co-op at low SM is an amazing nightmare too, because you have to ironman it to Straid while meticulously calculating how many souls you absorb. Every non-essential thing you spend souls on (read: not levels or upgrading the only set of gear you'll ever use) will put you at a marked disadvantage against people who DID min-max their character. Basically, you're allowed to enjoy PVE or PVP/Co-op with Soul Memory, but not both.

Though the power difference isn't nearly as bad as loving blood gems in Bloodborne. I guess anyone that goes through the Defiled stuff at low level deserves to oneshot everyone but it still sucks that the game allows for such a divergence in power between players that are otherwise exactly the same.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Just bought SOTFS, haven't played Dark Souls 2 since its release as mainly a strength character with a penchant for huge weapons. I'd like to play as something completely different, dex/hex seems like the best choice from what I can tell.

My question is, are dex weapons good for PvE now? Back at release there was no real reason to use anything but strike weapons like the club, from what I remember.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alabaster White posted:

Ascetics respawn everything forever, as far as I know. I think there are a couple strange exceptions but if they're ordinary black phantoms, it should work just fine.

Yeah, they're uh. Not ordinary black phantoms. They get summoned by lighting the major torch in the area. Apparently that torch might be reset by burning an ascetic at the Velstadt bonfire, but that seems like a weird thing to tie to ascetics.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Though the power difference isn't nearly as bad as loving blood gems in Bloodborne. I guess anyone that goes through the Defiled stuff at low level deserves to oneshot everyone but it still sucks that the game allows for such a divergence in power between players that are otherwise exactly the same.

Yeah, the blood gems were wonky as hell and completely ridiculous. It was pretty obviously just an experiment, much like everything else in that game. If the Phys% gems weren't QUITE so atomically destructive it would be a cool system.

Ekster posted:

Just bought SOTFS, haven't played Dark Souls 2 since its release as mainly a strength character with a penchant for huge weapons. I'd like to play as something completely different, dex/hex seems like the best choice from what I can tell.

My question is, are dex weapons good for PvE now? Back at release there was no real reason to use anything but strike weapons like the club, from what I remember.

Yeah, they buffed a lot of weapons, particularly thrusting ones. Spears are the best they've ever been in the series, and Thrusting Swords are fantastic. The Rapier is arguably the best weapon in the entire game.

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, they're uh. Not ordinary black phantoms. They get summoned by lighting the major torch in the area. Apparently that torch might be reset by burning an ascetic at the Velstadt bonfire, but that seems like a weird thing to tie to ascetics.

Well, the wiki says that Ascetics work. They generally do refresh the whole area but yeah, grains of salt and all that. If you don't mind clearing the area out again, it can't hurt to try, right?

e: that brings me to another thing about DS2 that sucks: non-respawning enemies with unique drops. In DS1 they at least had the courtesy to patch in guaranteed drops if you extincted something, so you could get every single item in the game, but DS2 is just "lol hope you're lucky". I liked going around and collecting every item in the other games but it's not feasible in 2 because of the luck or merchant costs involved.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 21, 2015

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alabaster White posted:

Well, the wiki says that Ascetics work. They generally do refresh the whole area but yeah, grains of salt and all that. If you don't mind clearing the area out again, it can't hurt to try, right?

e: that brings me to another thing about DS2 that sucks: non-respawning enemies with unique drops. In DS1 they at least had the courtesy to patch in guaranteed drops if you extincted something, so you could get every single item in the game, but DS2 is just "lol hope you're lucky". I liked going around and collecting every item in the other games but it's not feasible in 2 because of the luck or merchant costs involved.

The Insolent phantoms have guaranteed drops. The problem is, it seems like the only thing they ever drop is spice, which quite frankly shouldn't even be in their drop table. Also, I just checked and using an ascetic on the Velstadt bonfire does reset that torch.

E: Apparently one of them has a Fragrant Branch of Yore as a set drop, which is...fine? I guess? They also drop Twinkling Titanite, which is better than spice but still something that interferes with them dropping anything you loving want. I'm pretty sure I need to kill Velstadt again to even get a shot at this armorset now.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ekster posted:

There are some good Dex weapons (thrusting swords, katanas, spears, curved greatswords), but heavily investing into Dex is still a bit of a waste in most situation due to the bad scaling. If you want to do a hex build, just get the minimum amount of Dex required for wielding your weapon of choice and then infuse it with dark.

Edit: Admittedly, hammer class weapons are probably still the best choice for PvE, but then the game is easy enough that you're not forced to take the most optimal route. Pick whatever feels enjoyable..

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 21, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Loyce geatsword is an amazing dex weapon. Though it needs so much STR that it might as well be a quality weapon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

True, but that requires going through Frozen Outskirts, which is a strong contender for worst area in any Souls game.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Iretep posted:

Never start as a deprived unless you want to punish yourself with less stats than everyone else.

Eh, you don't lose much, if you don't know yet what you want just start as deprived and respec later into whatever you like after trying different things

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

Eh, you don't lose much, if you don't know yet what you want just start as deprived and respec later into whatever you like after trying different things

Just pick cleric if you want to try out everything. Due to how soul memory works you want to pick the highest level starters. If you decide to not go magic or faith you're only gimping yourself by about 7 points going cleric. Deprived is gimping yourself by 13 points no matter what you build. It isn't much, but why would you gimp yourself intentionally?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Allright, loving DS2 so far. Combat feels much much better than DS1 even if at the start the roll/dodge is gimped but still. Managed to get a Fire Longsword +3 and the Club +3, did I gently caress up? I already got by roaming around and killing the giant (with help), pursuer and that dragon guy on the cathedral some stuff that I don't really know if it's worth keeping for a Knight (str/adp guy).

What I got so far:
-Fire longsword +3
-Club +3
-Bastard Sword
-Drangleic Sword
-Channeler's Trident (dex stuff)
-Whip (Castlevania!)

Got the Drangleic Shield that has that sweet 100% dmg reduction but for resistances the Large Leather Shield seems quite decent. What should I upgrade?

Edit: Should I buy an Estoc when I can? or just stick to one of the previous weapons?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 21, 2015

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Guillermus posted:

Allright, loving DS2 so far. Combat feels much much better than DS1 even if at the start the roll/dodge is gimped but still. Managed to get a Fire Longsword +3 and the Club +3, did I gently caress up? I already got by roaming around and killing the giant (with help), pursuer and that dragon guy on the cathedral some stuff that I don't really know if it's worth keeping for a Knight (str/adp guy).

What I got so far:
-Fire longsword +3
-Club +3
-Bastard Sword
-Drangleic Sword
-Whip (Castlevania!)

Got the Drangleic Shield that has that sweet 100% dmg reduction but for resistances the Large Leather Shield seems quite decent. What should I upgrade?

I'd advise against using the trident or the whip for your build, but the rest is totally fine. Longswords are excellent weapons, the club is a great weapon to keep around for a strength build, and greatswords have really good movesets. The drangleic shield will probably be more useful for you. E: I'd personally suggest you stick with one of the greatswords depending on your moveset preferences and the club, at least until you find something...let's say bigger.

I'd definitely suggest proceeding past either Pursuer or the Dragonrider, both will lead you to some useful stuff. Glad you're enjoying the game!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

trident is an amazing pvp weapon but yeah if you want a spear you're better off with either the base spear or the winged spear for your early game choices.

also don't upgrade your shields

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Guillermus posted:

What I got so far:
-Fire longsword +3
-Club +3
-Bastard Sword
-Drangleic Sword
-Whip (Castlevania!)

Edit: Should I buy an Estoc when I can? or just stick to one of the previous weapons?

The fire longsword is perfectly serviceable early game weapon so feel free to try out some of the others and see which you like best. The estoc is an excellent weapon for a strength build, it hits fast and pretty hard without weighing too much or having insane requirements.

As for shields, I don't really like using them to block unless they are greatshields -- it drains too much stamina for my liking, and they aren't as good at parrying as in DaS or DeS. I think it is more useful to have a shield with a good spread of resistances so that if you get caught out by a sudden bolt of lightning or homing soul arrow or whatever and don't have anywhere safe to dodge to, you have an "oh poo poo" button. Drangleic shield is also pretty heavy for the point in the game where you can get it and I find that I'd rather just carry an offhand weapon instead.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm enjoying The Pursuer's downgrade to Team Rocket status

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Manatee Cannon posted:

While it does't address your real point, ultra greatswords can be used to detonate explosive barrels :eng101:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

skasion posted:

The fire longsword is perfectly serviceable early game weapon so feel free to try out some of the others and see which you like best. The estoc is an excellent weapon for a strength build, it hits fast and pretty hard without weighing too much or having insane requirements.

As for shields, I don't really like using them to block unless they are greatshields -- it drains too much stamina for my liking, and they aren't as good at parrying as in DaS or DeS. I think it is more useful to have a shield with a good spread of resistances so that if you get caught out by a sudden bolt of lightning or homing soul arrow or whatever and don't have anywhere safe to dodge to, you have an "oh poo poo" button. Drangleic shield is also pretty heavy for the point in the game where you can get it and I find that I'd rather just carry an offhand weapon instead.

A lot of enemies and early bosses can be dodged just by walking around (without rolling), and it's nice to hold a shield up while you do that as a sort of just-in-case thing. That's how I fought the big guys in Heide my first time through the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Covenant of Champions doesn't make the Insolent respawn, huh?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tallgeese posted:

Covenant of Champions doesn't make the Insolent respawn, huh?

Nope. That was the first thing I tried. The only way to get them to respawn is to refresh the torch, which means reviving Velstadt.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Even in full Elite Knight Armor, im getting stunlocked a handful of times. Most of my deaths lately are from being hit once, and then mobbed because my guy is staggering. Not sure if I like that change.

Also, as far as SOTFS goes, are there any stats/weapons/things I should know in regards to character building? Are there certain builds that were good in DS1 but suck in this one?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Avocados posted:

Even in full Elite Knight Armor, im getting stunlocked a handful of times. Most of my deaths lately are from being hit once, and then mobbed because my guy is staggering. Not sure if I like that change.

Also, as far as SOTFS goes, are there any stats/weapons/things I should know in regards to character building? Are there certain builds that were good in DS1 but suck in this one?

Rolling was mostly divorced from carry weight, but now you need to level ADP if you want to dodge anything. Oh yeah, and everything does a billion poise damage (especially in PvP). It's possible to poise through attacks, but for pvp you'll want at least 60 and probably more like 90-94. Or just ignore poise, equip fashion souls, and dodge everything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tran posted:

While it does't address your real point, ultra greatswords can be used to detonate explosive barrels :eng101:

Not exactly an option where I was at the time tho

edit: ahaha this dragon in Heide's is bullshit, what the gently caress

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 22, 2015

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ruggington posted:

I'm enjoying The Pursuer's downgrade to Team Rocket status

After killing him 4 times, found him on his last spot in Lost Bastille... he tried to run me over but I dodged and he fell to his death. :downs:

Got the souls, titanite didn't drop in the floor though :argh:

Manatee Cannon posted:

edit: ahaha this dragon in Heide's is bullshit, what the gently caress

Run towards him and poke his feet

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 22, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I did the first time I saw him as a helper phantom and he killed me before I could even reach him. Maybe it was just because the dragon was already awake, but there's not enough time to get to him between his flamethrowers (I timed my run right after one ended and the second started just before I reached him and it stunlocked me to death). When I fought him in my world, I didn't feel like dealing with that and used the traditional Souls game method of dragon slaying: I shot him with arrows for like five minutes and then he died. :effort:

I did kill the first Pursuer without taking any damage though so I feel good about that. Oh well, four bosses down in about three hours of playtime is maybe a little worse than I'd expected when I started this playthrough but they changed so much and it's really throwing me off. Most of it is really cool though, I just didn't like that dragon.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
When I do power stance, does upgrading my offhand weapon also increase my attack damage? I'm duel wielding Caestus, my primary is +6 and my offhand is +1.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Avocados posted:

When I do power stance, does upgrading my offhand weapon also increase my attack damage? I'm duel wielding Caestus, my primary is +6 and my offhand is +1.

Yes. The Caestus power stance is two separate attacks, one with the left hand and one with the right. So upgrading both punchgloves is worth it.

I don't know how offhand weapon damage works for things like the Bone Fist power stance though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

skasion posted:

My main gripe is that while I'm leveling I have to spread the stat points WAY too much. Vigor, END, VIT, STR, some DEX (at least 12 to wield the Bastard Sword) and ADP. At the other hand leveling is much cheaper than DS1. The whole poise being nerfed to hell is annoying, elite armor does nothing so I'm using something lighter like the Alva armor set.

I joined the rat king covenant (gently caress that small arena plagued with little bastards) just to get to the rotten zone freely, did I gently caress up?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Guillermus posted:

My main gripe is that while I'm leveling I have to spread the stat points WAY too much. Vigor, END, VIT, STR, some DEX (at least 12 to wield the Bastard Sword) and ADP. At the other hand leveling is much cheaper than DS1. The whole poise being nerfed to hell is annoying, elite armor does nothing so I'm using something lighter like the Alva armor set.

I joined the rat king covenant (gently caress that small arena plagued with little bastards) just to get to the rotten zone freely, did I gently caress up?

If it makes you feel better about your stat spread, the consensus PvP level (which only really matters in the Bloodbro arena) is SL 150, as opposed to ~SL 120 in DS1. Also there's a ring that encourages you to have low vitality that you'll get later.

As for joining the Ratbros, nah. There are no consequences to joining or leaving covenants in DS2, save for the covenant leaders being very disappointed in you.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

King of Solomon posted:

If it makes you feel better about your stat spread, the consensus PvP level (which only really matters in the Bloodbro arena) is SL 150, as opposed to ~SL 120 in DS1. Also there's a ring that encourages you to have low vitality that you'll get later.

I thought the arena was confirmed to have to SL/SM filtering at some point?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's what he was saying, yes; arena uses SL.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wait, so the game actually has functioning and implemented SL matchmaking code for the arenas? There's actually somewhere to PVP reliably now without worrying about micromanaging your soul memory????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's an incredibly dull place, but yes.