Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Thoughts on Fury of Dracula vs Letters from Whitechapel?

Planning on getting a hidden movement game sometime soon, those both appeal equally right now.

LfW is lighter and shorter. Drac is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh and I ended up playing a Crayon Rail game at my New Years gaming group and my god I'm sure it was considered ok/good in its time but EuroRails is like a shittier version of Steam in every way imaginable: way longer and way more random, I can't imagine ever playing it when something like Steam/AoS exists. I ended up getting bankrupted by a disaster event that destroyed like four parts of my railway and was pleasantly relieved when it did, while there's definitely some strategy to the game like 80% of it is predicated on a single deck draw of like 100+ cards. Mega64 won it so maybe he'll have a different view but I can't believe anyone would sit down at that thing for 3-4 hours when Steam exists. It's like the Monopoly of pick up and deliver.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Thoughts on Fury of Dracula vs Letters from Whitechapel?

Planning on getting a hidden movement game sometime soon, those both appeal equally right now.

We bought and played Both Letters from Whitechapel is really awesome and we've played it 4 or 5 times now, it's shorter, and the mechanics are pretty tight so every game feels super close.

Fury of Dracula is amazing, but takes 3 - 4 hours to play, and I've had trouble convincing the group to commit to that.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

I don't know what my opinion is on New Angeles, right now. I'd have to think and type a ton more than I'm willing to do at the moment.

Are you still thinking of running a forums game of it? :getin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

al-azad posted:

This is me but instead of ruining everyone else's time I'll raid your fridge for beer. The Resistance is stupid.
:same: Resistance is a much better executed Mafia-like game and I wouldn't call it "stupid", but I still don't like those really except very specific mood and occasion. Someone brought out some Werewolf game which was basically a 1 round mafia, that was a really loving terrible game so I just spent the game drinking and laughing manically and being a dick pretending to be the werewolf even as a villager.

I do like Coup/Love Letters tho which are fun little in between games, unfortunately I'm mostly alone there

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

:same: Resistance is a much better executed Mafia-like game and I wouldn't call it "stupid", but I still don't like those really except very specific mood and occasion. Someone brought out some Werewolf game which was basically a 1 round mafia, that was a really loving terrible game so I just spent the game drinking and laughing manically and being a dick pretending to be the werewolf even as a villager.

I do like Coup/Love Letters tho which are fun little in between games, unfortunately I'm mostly alone there

Maybe the game would be more fun if you weren't actively sabotaging it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Turtlicious posted:

Maybe the game would be more fun if you weren't actively sabotaging it?
:perfect:

for real, you're the very person we were mocking last page. ONUW is a good game. If you can't play along for a 5 minute round, then just sit out and don't ruin it for everyone else.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
The guy who made Letters is working on a Lord of the Rings hidden movement game where one player is the hobbits trying to get to Rivendell and the other players are Ring Wraiths.

So uhh, pretty soon the answer might be that one.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Big McHuge posted:

The guy who made Letters is working on a Lord of the Rings hidden movement game where one player is the hobbits trying to get to Rivendell and the other players are Ring Wraiths.

So uhh, pretty soon the answer might be that one.

There's also a new Friday the 13th one that looks interesting (last Friday?)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xaris posted:

If you don't want to play a game then you should say "I don't want to play this," in as polite a fashion as possible. Sabotaging a game other people are invested in is loving awful, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

It helps if you use visuals

Also, if people were serious about moderating this thread, they would ban Rutibex. He offers nothing, distracts the conversation, and is a true creep and rear end in a top hat.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

sector_corrector posted:

Also, if people were serious about moderating this thread, they would ban Rutibex. He offers nothing, distracts the conversation, and is a true creep and rear end in a top hat.

Agreed. At least a nice long probation.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caedar posted:

Agreed. At least a nice long probation.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol

What would you guys recommend for someone who really really loves Combat Commander: Europe?

Is it more CC expansions cos I'm fine with that.
I'm currently learning (and coming to love) Panzer.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Sleekly posted:

lol

What would you guys recommend for someone who really really loves Combat Commander: Europe?

Advanced Squad Leader.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The End posted:

Advanced Squad Leader.

Oh dear....that's what the guy who sold me Panzer said too

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sleekly posted:

lol

More Combat Commander. You might also like Chad's other game, Fighting Formations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sleekly posted:

lol

cenotaph posted:

More Combat Commander. You might also like Chad's other game, Fighting Formations.

Not knowing much about CC: I still agree with cenotaph. When you're lucky to find a favourite item at the buffet, take extra helpings of that. Still wander some, sure, but you don't want to waste all your intake budget on things that are probably less tasty.

However, I'm pretty sure Chad Jensen's other game is Dominant Species

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

cenotaph posted:

Fighting Formations.

Extremely my poo poo! Thanks its on my various wishlists now.

rchandra posted:

Dominant Species

I know that's very highly regarded round here but honestly I struggle with the theme.

I will gorge right out at Mr Jensens CC buffet guilt free!

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 5, 2017

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Fat Turkey posted:

About halfway through last year I mentioned I was going to pick up Mage Knight Lost Legion and could anybody share their customers inserts as I want to build one out of foam board. Someone answered saying they could share later in the year.

Wondering if that person is still about or if anyone else has custom inserts to share. I got MK:LL to play, and bizarrely enough I'm currently more into building the insert than playing!!!

Not that guy but here is mine anyway:

http://imgur.com/a/gkT6A

It was my second insert so the execution is a bit sloppy but it fits the Base Game, Lost Legion and Krang so I'm happy with it.

All the cards are sleeved.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 5, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Sleekly posted:

Fields of Fire

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I've read so much about that game...it sounds like a beautiful mess

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Sleekly posted:

I've read so much about that game...it sounds like a beautiful mess

If you're more interested in the general feel of the game, rather than getting all nitty-gritty about the rules, this guy is really on point.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Fat Turkey posted:

About halfway through last year I mentioned I was going to pick up Mage Knight Lost Legion and could anybody share their customers inserts as I want to build one out of foam board. Someone answered saying they could share later in the year.

Wondering if that person is still about or if anyone else has custom inserts to share. I got MK:LL to play, and bizarrely enough I'm currently more into building the insert than playing!!!

That person was me. I'm afraid I have a bit much on my plate as it is, but I promise I'll show my work if and when I get around to designing the thing

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Had my first game of New Angeles tonight. 5 players. We managed to address the first demand card narrowly, and players were surprisingly cooperative. Second demand card was clearly headed toward failure, so there was a bit of jousting for position and points. Final demand card seems like a fairly easy one, and round 5 goes relatively smoothly. The second to last player then threatened to use an asset to burn a resource to gain two points, but collectively we negotiated to bring him back in to the game by encouraging him to blackmail his rival. Seemingly at a point where nothing can go wrong, the final turn comes up and since everything is poised to coast to the line, the last place player proposed a deal that would give him some capital while putting an outage on the board. Noone really anticipated a drama so he won the deal handily. He dropped the outage on top of the one energy producing square we needed to satisfy demand. Failing the demand card spikes us past 25, and the final player flips his rival card: Federalist. He wins alone, and none of us ever suspected it. Played us for suckers absolutely perfectly.

As for the strange amount of cooperation - of the five players, three got their own card, I got the card of the Weyland (federalist player). So, everyone was happy to finish ahead of me and the federalist, I didn't care as long as I was ahead of Weyland, and Weyland just needed to sneak past 25. Despite the incredible odds, the mixture of rival cards put us right into his gameplan.

It's a cool game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A friend has bought Xia: Legends of a Drift System because pew pew and space. From what I understand from reading the rules, the pro strategy is to be an annoying rules lawyer and argue as much as possible? :v:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can turn that into a fun game with enough house-rules.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played Viticulture + Tuscany as a new player and only came in last. But a respectable last, not an utterly shameful one I guess?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fat Samurai posted:

A friend has bought Xia: Legends of a Drift System because pew pew and space. From what I understand from reading the rules, the pro strategy is to be an annoying rules lawyer and argue as much as possible? :v:

Isn't that the one where rules arguments are settled by a d20 roll off and the high roller decides how the game is played?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lord Frisk posted:

Isn't that the one where rules arguments are settled by a d20 roll off and the high roller decides how the game is played?

I thought that was a Games Workshop trick?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lord Frisk posted:

AND you get a point for rolling a 20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lichtenstein posted:

If you're more interested in the general feel of the game, rather than getting all nitty-gritty about the rules, this guy is really on point.

Sincerely thought that was going to be Calandale crying about playing Magic with his ex-wife

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

MikeCrotch posted:

Sincerely thought that was going to be Calandale crying about playing Magic with his ex-wife

No, that's the Advanced Squad Leader experience. With FoF, the only victim is yourself.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Picked up a copy of Cacao from BGB directly, which was neat seeing the store in person that I get so much stuff from online. Basically just a glorified warehouse but pretty cool wandering the rows and seeing all the Good Stuff.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I really enjoyed it. Super quick little game that basically plays like Carcassonne if the meeples were pre-baked onto the tiles. Very charming, inexpensive, and actually had a bit of decision making to it, which pleasantly surprised me. Overall, if you're looking for a light, tile-placement game that also has a bit of strategy to it, I recommend it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It just me or does the Sushi Go Party box not really make that much sense. Obviously the cards go in the slots but thicker cardboard ones are just supposed to be laid in between, I guess, on their sides instead of standing up so you can see what it is to pull it out. Doesn't seem like they put much thought to it, but I guess that's normal for game inserts.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Elysium posted:

It just me or does the Sushi Go Party box not really make that much sense. Obviously the cards go in the slots but thicker cardboard ones are just supposed to be laid in between, I guess, on their sides instead of standing up so you can see what it is to pull it out. Doesn't seem like they put much thought to it, but I guess that's normal for game inserts.

I've always treated inserts as what they use to keep the contents secure until you open them up. After that they're usually just in the way.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lichtenstein posted:

No, that's the Advanced Squad Leader experience. With FoF, the only victim is yourself.

lol implying that anyone who plays ASL actually plays it with other human beings

Sloober posted:

I've always treated inserts as what they use to keep the contents secure until you open them up. After that they're usually just in the way.

I turned the Mansions of Madness 2nd edition box insert into a sweet DM screen since I liked the artwork on it and it was a good size. But otherwise :agreed:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
avoid kingmaking by only playing coop games

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

avoid kingmaking by only playing coop games

But then you have quarterbacking problems...

The only solution is to not play games with other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
avoid problems by only playing solitaire games