Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Because of this post, I've revised my judgment to "moderate probation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sleekly posted:

Extremely my poo poo! Thanks its on my various wishlists now.

I know that's very highly regarded round here but honestly I struggle with the theme.

I will gorge right out at Mr Jensens CC buffet guilt free!

If you do find yourself taking a liking to FF you'll want to know that there is an expansion for the game coming out with several new scenarios. There is also another game in the series in development with US forces. Both are supposed to have smaller/shorter scenarios. Some of the ones in the first game are rather long, and one is supposedly a weekend-length affair. I've only played a couple games solo to test it out but I thought the system was pretty good but not as engrossing as Combat Commander.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

corn in the bible posted:

avoid problems by only playing solitaire games

A fair number of people in this thread would still have a problem with the one complete oval office in their group.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hey all, what're the best 2 player games? My girlfriend and I both love board gaming, but don't always have a chance to get a group together.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
boom

2 Player Games

7 Wonders Duel
Patchwork
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Agricola All Creatures Big & Small (different game from Agricola)
The Duke
Arcadia Quest
Pandemic
Splendor
Valley of the Kings
Tak
Mottainai
Keyflower
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Battlecon
Eminent Domain
Hive
Tigris & Euphrates
Lord of the Rings LCG
A Game of Thrones LCG
Arkham Horror LCG
Pixel Tactics
Paperback

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 5, 2017

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Kashuno posted:

Hey all, what're the best 2 player games? My girlfriend and I both love board gaming, but don't always have a chance to get a group together.

7 Wonders Duel
Onitama
...and then, we held hands.
The Duke
Patchwork
Jaipur
Santorini (comes out pretty soon)

Those all immediately come to mind off the cuff as smaller/lighter 2p games. There's certainly larger more involved games that work great 2p though. I'm sure more suggestions will come in.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The best 2p game is the best game in general, Sherlock Consulting Detective

EBag
May 18, 2006

Also Battle Line and Race for the Galaxy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
BL I gave you New Angeles because I thought you'd have the discernment to pick who to play with :). My issue with the game was that I didn't have the right people to play with and I thought it'd be a good fit for you. Live up to my expectations :colbert:

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Star realms is a cheap, fast, easy, and fun 2 player game. 7 wonders dual is great too.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Kashuno posted:

If you want some kind of heavier stuff, I have tested these 2p with my wife and think they are all very fun with two players. I am only recommending games that I think are BETTER with two or where the 2-player experience is at least exactly as good and no less good than 3p or 4p. The order of my list is from my least favorite (still good though) to my favorite.

-Seasons. This is actually not great with four players because outside of the draft you aren't really paying much attention to what other people are doing because it's too overwhelming to track all their combos and engines etc. At two players the draft is not as good really, but you can easily follow exactly what your opponent is going for. The dice drafting part is cool with two and you can definitely block easily. It's good if you like engine building, drafting, and games where you are basically just trying to get points. It's not good if you or your gf doesn't "get" the concept of engine building very well. The art on the cards is really good, the dice and the four seasons part of the theme all works really well from a gameplay and thematic perspective. One gripe is that something like 60% of the cards have cool artwork on it that only vaguely relates to what the cards do.

-Castles of Burgundy. It's really good with 2p, but I've never played it with more. I think with more than two it would possibly drag a bit too long. With two players it finishes pretty quickly once you know the rules. It's easy to follow what your opponent is doing, and it's possible to predict their actions and block or counter what you think they may want to do. The pacing of the game is nice, and especially toward the end in a 2p game, you really start to get a tense feel for how much each move needs to be optimized to max-out your end-game score. The only big downside to this game is that the components, theme, and presentation is very dull and boring as poo poo looking. This is my wife's favorite game on the list.

-A Feast For Odin. This game is getting hyped a lot, but it's legitimately very good, and that's why there is so much hype. Even with so many action spaces, blocking becomes a serious thing even in the two-player game. You can never really block someone in such a way that they are 100% shut out from having a good turn, but you can seriously put wrenches in your opponent's plans if you read it right. It's fun to do all the puzzle stuff, and it's fun to try new strategies every game. I've played this one the most out of the list, and I definitely want to play it a lot more. Downsides to this game is that it takes up a ton of table space, and especially the first game can take a long time to play. It's possible for someone who isn't a "gamer" to get overwhelmed by the number of action spaces, but if it's your gf and if you can just get her to give it a shot, she'll probably think it's fun once she gets over that hurdle. I think that once both players get more experienced, a 2p game will actually take less than two hours, which for a game of this "weight" is pretty nice.

-Inis. I honestly think this game is better with 2p than with 3 or 4. You lose all of the negotiation elements, but that also takes out all potential king-making and dog-piling problems. The 2p rules for this game are super tight; the way the draft is modified for 2-player makes it a lot more interesting than if they hadn't made some changes to the 3p and 4p draft. You can open the box and have the game setup to play in less than 5 minutes, and sometimes--once you both get to know the cards better--the game can end in under 30 minutes. It still feels like a heavy and strategic game despite the shorter length. A tight game that plays fast and feels heavy is pretty much my ideal combination. I don't think my wife likes this one as much though, as you don't get to really build anything. She likes CoB because she gets to build up her map and do more of her own thing, whereas Inis is very much distilled down and directly confrontational area control.

One game I really want to get and try with two players is Tzol'kin, but I'm waiting until we play what we already have a lot more before I get something new.

edit:

Here are some games I tried 2p that didn't go over well:

-Twilight Struggle. I think I would have been able to get really into this, but it just was flat for my wife. I think that unless you are actually into the Cold War thing, or if you are into the idea of "little point chits on a map," that it's going to be hard to get into this. It also felt really difficult to "sell" this game to her when I didn't understand very well how to play (well) myself. Playing the iPad version later didn't help me, as I found the electronic implementation not fun, since I couldn't really tell what the AI was doing easily enough.

-Race for the Galaxy. It's a good game, and I liked it. It was actually just too tight and "distilled" for my wife to think it was very fun. She didn't feel like she was doing anything other than putting cards down, and I don't think the whole "engine builder" thing has ever really clicked for her yet.

-Dominion. Same as above, but the fact that it's even more dry than Race for the Galaxy made it go over even worse.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 5, 2017

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm going to chime in on the recent quarterbacking chat to mention once again that I have never -- as in, never ever -- had a quarterbacking problem, and we play lots of co-op games.

I think the difference is we know we're solving a cooperative puzzle and that's what we like. It is possible to objectively discover and identify (and describe the reasons behind) better moves. People and groups like mine exist, and we may very well be the ideal target audience. YMMV :)

In other boardgame news I introduced my brother and nephew to Food Chain Magnate and you could SEE the lightbulb moments. They loved it, it was great. They had never played anything like it (and neither had I before I learned about it from Lorini in this thread in late 2015 I think.)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 5, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I think the difference is we know we're solving a cooperative puzzle and that's what we like. It is possible to objectively discover and identify (and describe the reasons behind) better moves. People and groups like mine exist, and we may very well be the target audience. YMMV :)

This is my group, too. The quarterbacking and kingmaking discussion kind of boggled my mind because I'd never realized it was such a problem before. Now I realize that I just have a Cool Group. It's really making me think hard about picking up New Angeles or Zimby Mojo, since I think we have the right kind of group to make those really interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:woop: Patchwork! :woop:

e. Pandemic is also fun 2p.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked up Spyfall for a board game night I'm going to tomorrow. Rules look pretty straightforward. Anything I should be aware of before we start playing?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Print out location lists from BGG and hand them out to everyone. Don't use card art for questions because that's impossible for the spy to gather information from. "Accidentally" have a round where everyone is a spy for some real hilarity :getin:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

CommonShore posted:

:woop: Patchwork! :woop:

e. Pandemic is also fun 2p.
For 2 player Pandemic, do you have each player play two characters, or does it work with one each?

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

SettingSun posted:

I picked up Spyfall for a board game night I'm going to tomorrow. Rules look pretty straightforward. Anything I should be aware of before we start playing?

Also, I would tell people to ignore the "roles" that are listed on the cards, at least at first.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
edit: lol ^

SettingSun posted:

Make sure people actually try to role-play the people they're given, as opposed to just generically answering questions about the place. There's roles that are funny, and roles that are specifically there to make you suspicious of that player (like Thief or whatnot), and the game's kinda weak if people don't embrace that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lord Hydronium posted:

For 2 player Pandemic, do you have each player play two characters, or does it work with one each?

We play one each, and we always randomly select. The only one that isn't so great 2p is the Contingency Planner, and the Dispatcher verges on OP in 2p.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is Patchwork the game that looks like Tetris? I liked that one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lord Hydronium posted:

each person will control two characters. it works well though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

edit: lol ^

Make sure people actually try to role-play the people they're given, as opposed to just generically answering questions about the place. There's roles that are funny, and roles that are specifically there to make you suspicious of that player (like Thief or whatnot), and the game's kinda weak if people don't embrace that.

Eh, the roles add too much distraction unless everyone is very familiar with the game. The spy will have next to zero chance guessing anything if everyone uses the roles, same reason I said don't use card art to base questions on.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
If you print out a list of the places and explain that everyone will be someone you might find at them, except someone's the spy, it's not really too complicated. But eh, I'm in the minority here so maybe it was just our group.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
ALso don't bother with the scoring.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

If you're more interested in the general feel of the game, rather than getting all nitty-gritty about the rules, this guy is really on point.

lol on point indeed.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Squishy posted:

ALso don't bother with the scoring.

Yep, this too. I agree with everything above, except for the stuff that contradicts itself. I would do a handful of rounds with no roles, and then switch to roles. It's a fun game, and probably best played until people get sick of it instead of what the rules suggest.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

My wife and I have done the first 2 rounds (out of 4) for Escape Room: The Game.

The production value is very low (other than the "timer/answer checker key machine", which actually works pretty well, it's mostly just paper bits in envelopes), and there's obviously very limited content (there's 4 hours of game play).

...but it's fine. The puzzles so far have been fine - not great, but certainly a step up from something like T.I.M.E. Stories - and we've so far been pretty happy with it. Balance seems fine: we've finished with ~15 minutes or so both games without leaning on hints (but the hint system is well done, and should keep you on track for a pleasant experience). There has been a couple somewhat ambiguous bits, and a couple logical stretches, but overall the content I've seen has been solid.

I think it's probably best with 2 people: with more you'd end up with more spectating - but I could see it working for 4 players as a mini-party sort of experience, as long as people were in the right mood. Going through the campaign with the same group, over the course of a few sessions, could work out pretty fun.

Anywho, don't take this as an overly glowing review - it isn't great... but I think this will end up being a good fit for some people, and an underrepresented genre. The wife and I really liked going through Sherlock Consulting as a couple, and I've had a hard time finding similar experiences. This isn't exactly the same kind of thing, but it fills the same niche for us (though it wouldn't work as well while driving; both players need to be able to hold and inspect things). The very limited content is the biggest problem right now - but on the plus side, expansion content should be very easy/cheap to make (edit: it looks like there's already a couple of these floating around).

TLDR: not great, but perhaps worth considering.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 5, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

jmzero posted:

Anywho, don't take this as an overly glowing review - it isn't great... but I think this will end up being a good fit for some people, and an underrepresented genre. The wife and I really liked going through Sherlock Consulting as a couple, and I've had a hard time finding similar experiences. This isn't exactly the same kind of thing, but it fills the same niche for us (though it wouldn't work as well while driving; both players need to be able to hold and inspect things). The very limited content is the biggest problem right now - but on the plus side, expansion content should be very easy/cheap to make (edit: it looks like there's already a couple of these floating around).

TLDR: not great, but perhaps worth considering.

... why have I not thought of playing Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective while driving? That is a brilliant idea for long road trips.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Spyfall can fall flat on its face if people don't grasp you should be asking questions about the location and not the art. A group of my family could just not grasp it and it was a very unfun 15 minutes of basically I Spy questions like "Do you see red?" I also had one person who purposely asked questions that had nothing to do with the location at all to try and "make the Spy unable to guess the location" and was confused on why the not spies kept losing by fingering her as the spy three minutes into a round over and over. Then everyone agreed the game was too confusing and someone wiped out a copy of Cards Against Humanity

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 5, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Time to take the plunge:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564278

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like how the people who ordered from CSI/Cardhaus/MM are getting The Great Zimbabwe earlier than folks who preordered from Splotter a year ago. I guess it's because their distributor is FunAgain (west coast shop) but ugh I want to play some TGZ/Indonesia.

e: also quick question on 1817 -- is it one of the 18xxs you have to wait a while on the preorder list to get, or do they print on demand?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

I like how the people who ordered from CSI/Cardhaus/MM are getting The Great Zimbabwe earlier than folks who preordered from Splotter a year ago. I guess it's because their distributor is FunAgain (west coast shop) but ugh I want to play some TGZ/Indonesia.

e: also quick question on 1817 -- is it one of the 18xxs you have to wait a while on the preorder list to get, or do they print on demand?

You can either get in the Deep Thought queue (lol) or order it from All Aboard games for like $250.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Kashuno posted:

It's hard to go wrong with Jaipur, Patchwork and Via Nebula.

But it'd be good to know if there are any specific things you're looking for. Playing time, confrontational/cooperative/multiplayer solitaire, specific mechanics, how important theme is and so on.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm probably playing Kanban for the first time tomorrow. Is there anything that I should know going in, particularly common rules mistakes? It's my friend's game, and although I had a flick through the rules I struggled to get a sense of how the game plays from them. Also there doesn't appear to be a good teaching video on YouTube, which is usually the way we learn games together, unless anyone has a suggestion?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kashuno posted:

Tash Kalar is really, really good two players.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aston posted:

I'm probably playing Kanban for the first time tomorrow. Is there anything that I should know going in, particularly common rules mistakes? It's my friend's game, and although I had a flick through the rules I struggled to get a sense of how the game plays from them. Also there doesn't appear to be a good teaching video on YouTube, which is usually the way we learn games together, unless anyone has a suggestion?

The actual game flows pretty well I find (especially as you start to see how each department depends on the others). I would explain the scoring in detail, how to get seats, and particularly that multiple people can score on certain projects, and that the end game scoring is actually pretty varied (it's really easy to get lost in the minutiae of the rest of the game and forget that you score a lot of points from training and the final goals tile --- which you need seats for ! ! ! ---).

Tested designs are also a bit confusing, I would go over that a couple of times, the example in the rulebook on page 14 does a good of conveying it, so it may be worth it to pass that around / show it in action. The difference between meetings (pace car), and end of the week scoring (Sandra gets back to her office) can be easy to forget in the first round, but when she starts hopping around and the pace car starts getting moved, people will pick it up, just remind them what that's doing.

Remember to collect both bonuses when you're certified (the certification track and the unlock on your board), too.

I mean come on it's simple really :o:

e: I was actually thinkin about bringing it out tonight but honestly I'm jonesing for some King Philip so that's probably gonna happen

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 5, 2017

EBag
May 18, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I got my copy of TGZ yesterday from 401games, can't wait to play it. But yah it always sucks when retailers get something before people who preordered directly from the publisher/kickstarter.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

EBag posted:

I got my copy of TGZ yesterday from 401games, can't wait to play it. But yah it always sucks when retailers get something before people who preordered directly from the publisher/kickstarter.

Yeah supposedly the East Coast/Canadians are getting theres now and Funagain expects it this Friday but holy gently caress what a wait -- with big retailers stocking up I'm tempted to stop preordering directly from companies like Splotter/GMT/etc when I can get a lot of their releases for around the same price with some kind of visibility on the delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Kanban stuff

Yah tested designs are probably one of the trickier things to remember. Basically just remember that if you want to score some extra points make sure that if you upgrade some parts for a specific model it's a good idea to grab one or two cars of that type early on if possible. Getting certifications is also really good as it gives you turn order advantage, bonus points here and there, and extra seats. Testing and innovation is where the majorty of your points outside of meetings will come from and the double scoring certification bonus can be good if timed correctly.

Oh one other thing is when you are producing cars, remember that you need to supply all parts that have been upgraded first in order to produce a car. So if a car has had it's yellow and pink parts upgraded, you will need to have a pink and/or yellow part in order to make one.

Oh and play with mean Sandra. Make sure you have always have a bit of time banked, don't blow through it all.

EBag fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 5, 2017