Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Amarcarts posted:

"Lesnick Dance"

You remind me of the cult
What cult? cult with the power
What power? power of voodoo
Who do? you do
Do what? remind me of the cult

I saw my cultist, crying hard as a cultist could cry
What could I do
My cultist's support ticket had gone
And left my cultist blue
Nobody knew

What kind of terrible business decision to make?
Paarp and fails
Or JPEG sales
Walking or Running
Then cultists said
Dance Lesnick, dance (dance Lesnick, dance)
Put that cultist spell on me
Jump Lesnick, jump (jump Lesnick, jump) [seriously please don't Ben]
Put that cultist jump on me
Slap that cultist, make him free

I saw my cultist, trying hard as a cultist could try
What could I do
My cultist's fun had gone
And left my cultist blue
Nobody knew

Paarp and fails
Or JPEG sales
Walking or Running
Then cultists said
Put that cultist jump on me
Slap that cultist, make him free

Put that cultist spell on me (ooh)

You remind me of the cult
What cult? cult with the power
What power? power of voodoo
Who do? you do
Do what? remind me of the cult

Dance Lesnick, dance, ooh ooh ooh
Dance Lesnick, dance, ooh ooh ooh

Paarp and fails
Or JPEG sales
Walking or Running
Something stunning

Dance Lesnick, dance
Dance Lesnick, dance
Jump Lesnick, jump [seriously please don't Ben]
Put that Lesnick jump on me
Slap that cultist make him free
Put that Lesnick jump on me
Slap that cultist
Dance Lesnick
Slap that slap that cultist make him free

:lesnick:

Beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Physics bugs in 2.0? I haven't seen any, why do you ask?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Star Citizen Alpha 99.1 Character Creator

had a bit StarEngine glitch there but anyway Alpha

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not convinced they've actually done it. There's only been that one post.

They'll have done it, and it's not that big of a deal, certainly not four pages of chicken-little.

It's first line support, and it's very likely to be entirely decoupled from production. While they're in production mode - and I'm not suggesting that they aren't loving something up here - they're going to be balls-to-the-wall in fixing the higher priority items, so first line is going to hang onto minor things and forward the more important ones. Refund requests and other bullshit are going to languish in the queue and rot.

The Pareto principle (80/20 rule) applies here, and you're going to cover the 20% of problem tickets that cover 80% of the effected people.

Clearing down tickets is something that happens fairly routinely in corporates; People leave and their tickets don't get reassigned. The ticket producer has left. The property being worked on has changed, or been back-burnered, or you don't have a _tight project manager_ that isn't actually following these things up. It's not an indication of anything other than they have a high ticket volume that is resisting clearance for whatever reasons.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

celewign posted:

The impacts of the boarders echoed down the hallway. The Pirates had finally burned through his hull and entered his MUSASHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES FREELANCER LUXURY EDITION. He should have seen them coming, but the cockpit windshield was not the best for situational awareness. Anyways, boarders were not a concern when you carry a rack of four GARDINER-PARP MX3 ELECTROPULSE FLETCHETTE CARBINES onboard. Also his LIFETIME INSURANCE ensured the ship could be replaced without consequence.

Nervously, he pulled a rifle from the wall. His body immediately entered a rigid crucifixion style state, the rifle vibrating in the air next to him. The selector switch on the rifle appeared to be desperately trying to escape the handgrip. He was ready for combat.

His body suddenly shot through the walls and into space, hundreds of kilometers from the ships in an instant. He realized his helmet had disappeared, and smiled. Death from the vacuum was far better than being raped by pirates. Checkmate, Pirates. He sighed with contentment as his limbs twisted around themselves violently.

Another day in the 'verse.

I love these - keep 'em coming!

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I saw this poster at the movies and immediately thought of Star Citizen.

(imagine I photoshoped DS in place of the girl and pgab's dancing cat as the boy)

Can we survive the 5th wave?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

"Dev Meetings at F42"

what a 105 million dollar meeting looks like. A photo essay in 1/1 parts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Too late, although I think this will be my last e-mail.

Good for you. Sit back, relax, this poo poo fall down by its own weight. No need to touch it.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sillybones posted:

I wish I could just wish this post away

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sillybones posted:

Gently caress the pain away.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I don't think I've ever read or kept up with any thread nearly as much as this one. Star Citizen is like watching a video compilation of train wrecks in slow motion.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

They'll have done it, and it's not that big of a deal

I did it once years ago when I got handed a poo poo job of sorting a failing department out after it became obvious the guy in charge didn't give a poo poo and was looking for another job. Closed all the active support escalations as they'd been waiting months and the whole thing was a mess, these were the complicated issues. Clean slate and fasted track anyone who came back. The front line guys got grief for a couple of weeks taking details again and I wasn't popular but better two weeks of pain than trying to continue with something broken. My boss thought I was a genius, he didn't care how I sorted it, he just wanted it fixed.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Hav posted:

They'll have done it, and it's not that big of a deal, certainly not four pages of chicken-little.

It's first line support, and it's very likely to be entirely decoupled from production. While they're in production mode - and I'm not suggesting that they aren't loving something up here - they're going to be balls-to-the-wall in fixing the higher priority items, so first line is going to hang onto minor things and forward the more important ones. Refund requests and other bullshit are going to languish in the queue and rot.

The Pareto principle (80/20 rule) applies here, and you're going to cover the 20% of problem tickets that cover 80% of the effected people.

Clearing down tickets is something that happens fairly routinely in corporates; People leave and their tickets don't get reassigned. The ticket producer has left. The property being worked on has changed, or been back-burnered, or you don't have a _tight project manager_ that isn't actually following these things up. It's not an indication of anything other than they have a high ticket volume that is resisting clearance for whatever reasons.

Yeah, you're really giving quite a bit of leeway to a company that repeatedly demonstrated poor practices. The majority of their tickets clearly only require a canned response because they aren't tied to production. What do their hypothetical tickets look like?

Bug reports that are sent because their isn't an established report system? Forward the report to the bug team, send either a canned response of "noted, forwarded, ticket closed" or ask for diagnostics and then do the canned email.

Refund requests? Send the canned "no refunds, sorry sucker" email.

Questions on melting or other account poo poo they aren't addressing currently? Canned response email.

Corporates also avoid months long backlog because it is unacceptable. Do tickets get dropped due to turnover? Of course, but more get transferred than are dropped. You don't clear queues because the year changed, that's moronic.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lowtax posted:

I don't think I've ever read or kept up with any thread nearly as much as this one. Star Citizen is like watching a video compilation of train wrecks in slow motion.

Have you read the very first Star Citizen thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Everyone was so excited.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

Lime Tonics posted:

"Dev Meetings at F42"

Looks like a normal meeting to me

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Lowtax posted:

It's addictive, right? I have been a huge lurker on SA for over a decade (mostly because I don't have much to contribute compared to some of these folks with their truly amazing wit and creativity), but drat if I don't read these SA threads every single day without exception.

Lock it down Lowtax. I guarantee paywalling just this thread would increase your forums income. I'd pay $10 again - it's worth it to see such absolute insanity repeated on a daily basis.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

AP posted:

I did it once years ago when I got handed a poo poo job of sorting a failing department out after it became obvious the guy in charge didn't give a poo poo and was looking for another job. Closed all the active support escalations as they'd been waiting months and the whole thing was a mess, these were the complicated issues. Clean slate and fasted track anyone who came back. The front line guys got grief for a couple of weeks taking details again and I wasn't popular but better two weeks of pain than trying to continue with something broken. My boss thought I was a genius, he didn't care how I sorted it, he just wanted it fixed.
I think the situation here is slightly different, due to the fact that one of Star Citizen's major selling points was that they were going to be so involved with the community. They've repeatedly made it sound like their decisions are based around the community, and they are always listening to the community, and there is nothing more important to them but the community... and then they delete everything and ignore the community who submitted issues preventing them from being able to use their product successfully.

So yeah, they'll listen to their community... but only if they are talking about new ways to give them more money.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lime Tonics posted:

"Dev Meetings at F42"

The amount of misery in that meeting looks familiar, where have I seen that before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KseqzmcqQBQ

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Bait and Swatch posted:

Yeah, you're really giving quite a bit of leeway to a company that repeatedly demonstrated poor practices. The majority of their tickets clearly only require a canned response because they aren't tied to production. What do their hypothetical tickets look like?

Bug reports that are sent because their isn't an established report system? Forward the report to the bug team, send either a canned response of "noted, forwarded, ticket closed" or ask for diagnostics and then do the canned email.

Refund requests? Send the canned "no refunds, sorry sucker" email.

Questions on melting or other account poo poo they aren't addressing currently? Canned response email.

Corporates also avoid months long backlog because it is unacceptable. Do tickets get dropped due to turnover? Of course, but more get transferred than are dropped. You don't clear queues because the year changed, that's moronic.

What if someone's new years resolution was "you know what, i just can't be hosed with these special snowflakes and their butthurt"?

Still think the refund dude has got it. Tons of new shitizens over christmas, no doubt an uptick in refund requests so they'll pull this poo poo to wipe out the 14 days deadline. Then bank on most nerds being non-confrontational enough to eat the loss when they get a canned gently caress off even if it's 100% CIG's fault

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lime Tonics posted:

"Dev Meetings at F42"

Looks like a standard boring meeting to me? Probably featuring too many people dragged in that would rather be doing real work, which is a standard feature of meetings everywhere.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Whenever CIG has presented new information to their customer base it nearly always been fraught with errors or extremely obscure language. Unless I'm mistaken every, or virtually all, ship sales have been accompanied by some poor use of language or information that varies wildly from one page to the next. Or a price changes. I know everytime that happens it generates a ton of tickets from people wanting to know if the space potato has 3 sperg cannons or if it has 2 gyrating megaparps.

Those sorts of miscommunications and the accompanying tickets they generate happen with every single sale. The failure to deliver information is so consistent and the accompanying glut of demand on CS resources so routine that I have to wonder if it's somehow intentional to create a buffer of excusable delay.

Sorry about your refund request taking four weeks to respond to . We've a month of questions trying to clear up some throwaway comment Ben dropped in chatroll last June. We could clear it up with a forum post but it's likely preferable to take care of it on an email by email basis.

Gwaihir posted:

Looks like a standard boring meeting to me? Probably featuring too many people dragged in that would rather be doing real work, which is a standard feature of meetings everywhere.

When Chris is talking I suspect that you just go quiet until you're called on to say that it's an interesting idea and definitely doable.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Looks standard and cramped as hell. Not entirely sure why someone would take a picture of it... are they trying to show us how they've not wasted any of the millions of backer dollars on a bigger meeting room?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's just an office meeting. all office meetings are cramped, miserable and lovely. doesn't matter the size or turnover of the company

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
The fleet was arrayed in the assembly station. Off in the corner of the landing pad, pride of the 4th STIMPIRE, the IDRIS CLASS ULTRAFRIGATE bristled - clipping through the platform, vibrating and burning slightly. She was ready for war. Nearby a platoon of ANVIL HORNET INTERCEPTORS bounced on the pad, their SKYWALKER-ULTRATECH DD4 GAUSSPARP HECTOCANNONS glistening in the too-bright light of the star CRUSADER IV. Three pilots stood underneath the Hornet "m'Lady Fedora" and chatted, arms stiffly out in a t-bar like shape. One of them vanished, leaving behind traces of a weapon belt floating in space.

All told, there were 29 ships prepared for battle. The last time a battle fleet of this magnitude had assembled only a server crash had saved their adversary. No one could save them now.

At command the pilots boarded their ships and set out. The IDRIS CLASS MEGASHIP unfortunately was unable to clip out of the station and had to be left behind. She was unneeded anyway, and detonated in a blue particle spray ring that made little physical sense in the vacuum of space. She was a tribute for a donation, not a purchase.

The massive fleet quantum jumped simultaneously. Only one MISC FREELANCER and three ANVIL HORNETS crashed out of the game during the jump, unbelievable luck and an auspicious start to a major battle. The remaining 24 ships were split onto three instances when they reached the comm station. They would not be able to fight alongside each other but brotherhood knows no limits and each pilot felt the pride of the STIMPIRE through CISCO OPTICAL NETWORK SWITCHES connecting them to each other.

The engagement began with glittering cannon fire across the three separate instances. The commander of the battle GRAND ADMIRAL WULGE KNIGHT coordinated over a third party program, TEAMSPEAK, with the individual fleets. An enemy ROBERT SPACE INDUSTRIES CONSTELLATION vanished completely from the battle space as his STRAT-FOXER RAPTOR III WASP PARTICLE LASER LANCE shattered its shields in an orgasm like spray. Moments later an explosion bloomed in the space the ship had once occupied. The Admiral's hand twisted around itself in gentle circles. The poop filled sock next to his desk seemed more a trophy then ever before.

Tonight he would break out the fleshlight, a reward for another great day in the 'verse.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dusty Lens posted:

When Chris is talking I suspect that you just go quiet until you're called on to say that it's an interesting idea and definitely doable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXtPygIL5E

It used to be surrealist madcap humour. Now it's just business as usual.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Watching the scope expand from "freelancer with joystick support" to the current "MAH Immersion" clusterfuck is amazing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

I think the situation here is slightly different, due to the fact that one of Star Citizen's major selling points was that they were going to be so involved with the community. They've repeatedly made it sound like their decisions are based around the community, and they are always listening to the community, and there is nothing more important to them but the community... and then they delete everything and ignore the community who submitted issues preventing them from being able to use their product successfully.

So yeah, they'll listen to their community... but only if they are talking about new ways to give them more money.

I agree when I did it email support hadn't really started with that company, about 15 years ago, so I was dealing with hundreds of manually half filled in forms stacked on the desk of someone who'd just left the company and clearly hadn't been doing anything for a year. The idea of contacting people who'd been waiting for 6 months and maybe didn't even have a problem anymore didn't really appeal to me.

Email support is different as you know the status, I can imagine maybe doing it if the procedures were terrible, about to change and you honestly think the delay has meant the majority of the issues are resolved. But CIG shouldn't have any major issues like that, there's no real game as yet and there's nothing persistent at all. So the majority of their support calls will be general enquiries, payment issues, people asking to buy ships and refunds.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Duckaerobics posted:

I saw this poster at the movies and immediately thought of Star Citizen.

(imagine I photoshoped DS in place of the girl and pgab's dancing cat as the boy)

Can we survive the 5th wave?

:effort:

Paint.NET doesn't have a smudge too and I am too lazy to switch to GIMP

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Oh man, those release dates.

The First Thread posted:

Hangar Module
Approximate date: August 2013

Dogfighting Module
Approximate date: December 2013

Social / Planetside Module
Approximate date: March-April 2014

Squadron 42 / Singleplayer Alpha
Approximate date: August 2014

Persistent Universe Module / Beta
Approximate date: End of 2014

Star Citizen & Squadron 42
Approximate date: Early 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can somebody get a screencap of that Stimpire thing? I'm posting a follow-up e-mail to CIG asking them what I wrote that was somehow worse than CP or that, and I'd rather have a record of that thread in case they "discover" it should be deleted.

Unfortunately they've been pretty busy over the weekend, but they did provide an initial response. Hopefully they will indeed behave in the "better" manner that they have declared as an intent and will validate the e-mails.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/310241/the-sickening-and-heartbreaking-truths-of-the-fourth-stimpire

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Derek if I win the powerball and buy SC will you take over as head whatever i'll pay a generous salary

I'm not worried about the loss of money I plan on recouping half my cost by liquidating mocap studios and furniture

Nope. You couldn't pay me enough. Plus, why would I want to do anything to ensure that those rear end in a top hat Spergs ever get a game worth playing, after all the crap they've pulled?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40en2n/did_anyone_just_receive_this_message_from_cig/cytmoh5

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The sort of cool sentence you get to say when you use the word "troll" to describe anyone who disagrees with you.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Derek if I win the powerball and buy SC will you take over as head whatever i'll pay a generous salary

I'm not worried about the loss of money I plan on recouping half my cost by liquidating mocap studios and furniture

If you win the Powerball and buy SC you should make it entirely based on the fourth stimpire. It would be the first game that would ever be based on the fan fiction of a schizophrenic nerd with extreme bdsm and nullification fetishes.

Though if I win the powerball I am funding a sequel for Dredd. Because it needs to be done.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

DEREK SMART: Did you record your performance for Bootcha today?

I love you man but seriously you need constant reminders...

I did. Not happy with it. Trashed it. Going to be having a chat with Bootcha about it today.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lowtax posted:

CIG has a habit of repeating things until people believe they are true. They appreciate the community and are thankful to the backers (as they gouge them left and right but adamantly oppose anything that would give the backers more flexibility). They are one of the most open companies on the planet (though what they share is mostly useless fluff and marketing). Development is progressing very well (even though they never meet their own dates, what we have seen is a glitch filled abomination, and the pace of development is falling further behind the pace of scope creep). Everyone is happy with development (though refunds are now denied). Nobody has ever been banned for what they've done off the forums (the lead moderator is wrong when he references Twitter posts when explaining a ban). Developers are in constant communication with the backers (though Roberts flat out said any information coming from a source that isn't him is just an opinion and can't be trusted). The physics of the game is a high fidelity simulation (just that the ships are so poorly designed that they can't actually fly without cheating the numbers to the point where they are meaningless). Everything is coming together (even though designers are making changes without even knowing why they're working). Squadron 42 will be a AAA game experience on par with anything else out there (with 20 hours of gameplay that used to be 50). Everyone is happy to work at Cloud Imperium Games (ignore the private investigator scouring people's computers for leaks). CIG Santa Monica is a pleasant work environment without any toxicity (unless you're a butt hurt special snowflake with no balls). Illfonic completed their contract and delivered their portion of the FPS content (which is why nobody has seen any of it and Illfonic has indicated unexpectedly losing CIG's business has caused them financial problems). We've always been at war with Eastasia.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

AP posted:

Email support is different as you know the status, I can imagine maybe doing it if the procedures were terrible, about to change and you honestly think the delay has meant the majority of the issues are resolved. But CIG shouldn't have any major issues like that, there's no real game as yet and there's nothing persistent at all. So the majority of their support calls will be general enquiries, payment issues, people asking to buy ships and refunds.
I don't think any of us can accurately speculate upon what the majority of submitted issues regarded. I was just saying that it seems odd a company that repeatedly stresses their involvement with the community and how the game itself has been defined by the community (stretch goals), wouldn't make sure to have an ample staff to handle or at least respond or even read issues from their community. Who knows, maybe every ticket submitted over the past X months has been bullshit, but it sounds like they didn't even bother reading them and just purged the entire folder. I may have missed it, but I don't recall anybody there saying they're going to address the issue by hiring more people to handle support or implementing a new streamlined bug report process, so what's to prevent this entire scenario from occurring again?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lowtax posted:

I don't think any of us can accurately speculate upon what the majority of submitted issues regarded. I was just saying that it seems odd a company that repeatedly stresses their involvement with the community and how the game itself has been defined by the community (stretch goals), wouldn't make sure to have an ample staff to handle or at least respond or even read issues from their community. Who knows, maybe every ticket submitted over the past X months has been bullshit, but it sounds like they didn't even bother reading them and just purged the entire folder. I may have missed it, but I don't recall anybody there saying they're going to address the issue by hiring more people to handle support or implementing a new streamlined bug report process, so what's to prevent this entire scenario from occurring again?

Sandi, the VP of marketing, is busy training more CS people

Daztek fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

CIG want/need constructive criticism. That's why they have a Concern forum where they send threads to die.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zzm2h/drama_the_responsening_inn/cyqoe0h

• Locked thread