Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

Did they ask if you had a job?

Did they ask if you had a down payment?

Did they perform any sort of income verification?

These are things that were NOT done in the sub-prime crash of '08. Big US banks would literally give a Mexican fruit picker a 750K loan. They were called NINJA (No Income, No Job) loans.

20% of people applying for mortgages in Canada with the big banks are rejected due to factors such as insufficient income or down payment. You can go to a shittier lender but those loans are NOT covered under CMHC

When I applied for my first mortgage, I was approved to borrow something like $500k - 14 times my takehome - for reasons I still don't understand. Like... if I'd actually spent that... :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait until captain Canada learns about hcg

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I know some people giving a talk on UBI and it's frustrating because they're small business owners and they express concern over job security for people yet all their "employees" are independent contractors. Ive pointed out that simply classifying people correctly and paying them benefits, etc would eliminate a lot of this worry but nope. They don't like it when I point out that paying themselves strictly through dividends and having their business buy everything for them so they have a lower tax rate isn't helping things either.

They just seem to miss the point which is ironic since several of the people involved grew up really poor.

quote:

This Wednesday I'll be presenting for the first time ever a talk for "we the 1%" where I present why it is in our self-interest as successful, wealthy, innovative & disruptive entrepreneurs to call for the government support a basic income in order to survive and thrive in the next 20 years.

As part of the 1%, the government will invariably expect us to pay for this program through taxation. A portion of these talks will discuss potential benefits to entrepreneurs (lower salaries as people will now have a guaranteed minimum income) and taxpayers (elimination of social programs since people will now be able to pay for services out of pocket with their UBI).

I plan to have this be a platform to raise awareness of UBI among fellow rich people. Feel free to attend!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

ITT the luteal bubble bursts.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

When I applied for my first mortgage, I was approved to borrow something like $500k - 14 times my takehome - for reasons I still don't understand. Like... if I'd actually spent that... :stonk:

The real story is you didn't start saving for a down payment in high school, and your parents didn't prep you for the concept of pride of ownership since birth. You see, pride of ownership is simply mind share of the Canadian people's desires and dreams manifested as a shelter and strategic investment vehicle.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

namaste faggots posted:

faaaaaaart you mean home capital group? The non-regulated lender? Taxpayer isn't on the hook for them you loving idiot. Here's a quote for you.

quote:

Home Capital’s loans are usually made to borrowers that big banks shy away from, such as people who are self-employed and have irregular income. These loans tend not to be insured by the government, and there really isn’t a market for them in Canada now whether they are sold outright or packaged into bonds

Tl;dr for the slow among us. This isn't 2008, our bond brokers aren't doing lines of coke off of the calf-skin seats of the GIV.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

http://business.financialpost.com/executive/how-canadas-horrible-anti-spam-law-is-about-to-get-a-lot-worse-for-companies

CASL contains a number of instances of implied consent, any of which may be relied upon when sending a CEM

This is the part of the regulations that pisses me off the most. No, my having purchased a bobble from you does not actually indicate my willingness to receive your advertisements on an ongoing basis. The implied consent exemptions are too broad for my taste.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

B33rChiller posted:

This is the part of the regulations that pisses me off the most. No, my having purchased a bobble from you does not actually indicate my willingness to receive your advertisements on an ongoing basis. The implied consent exemptions are too broad for my taste.

IIRC they're still required to present you with an option to unsubscribe in each communication.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Mr. Apollo posted:

I know some people giving a talk on UBI and it's frustrating because they're small business owners and they express concern over job security for people yet all their "employees" are independent contractors. Ive pointed out that simply classifying people correctly and paying them benefits, etc would eliminate a lot of this worry but nope. They don't like it when I point out that paying themselves strictly through dividends and having their business buy everything for them so they have a lower tax rate isn't helping things either.

They just seem to miss the point which is ironic since several of the people involved grew up really poor.

Great, business owners and rich people want to use UBI as a means to suppress income, that's a good solution :rolleyes:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

infernal machines posted:

IIRC they're still required to present you with an option to unsubscribe in each communication.

True, and I appreciate when a business respects an unsubscribe request. But, it's still an extra step, and lovely companies like to ignore these and point to implied consent when called on their BS. I would prefer if they stuck purely to expressed consent.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

MA-Horus posted:

faaaaaaart you mean home capital group? The non-regulated lender? Taxpayer isn't on the hook for them you loving idiot. Here's a quote for you.

Tl;dr for the slow among us. This isn't 2008, our bond brokers aren't doing lines of coke off of the calf-skin seats of the GIV.

HCG is regulated, they simply also offer loans to sub-prime borrowers and they work with the CMHC for borrowers that qualify. Not all HCG customers are sub-prime, some wanted the most cut rates and don't care whether it is a large bank as the mortgage originator. The loans that qualify and were issued in conjunction with CHMC insurance with proper due diligence will be covered by the taxpayer sooo...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

The real story is you didn't start saving for a down payment in high school, and your parents didn't prep you for the concept of pride of ownership since birth. You see, pride of ownership is simply mind share of the Canadian people's desires and dreams manifested as a shelter and strategic investment vehicle.

I thought it was the immediate entitlement to your parents' quality of life upon entering the workforce at any age.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Risky Bisquick posted:

HCG is regulated, they simply also offer loans to sub-prime borrowers and they work with the CMHC for borrowers that qualify. Not all HCG customers are sub-prime, some wanted the most cut rates and don't care whether it is a large bank as the mortgage originator. The loans that qualify and were issued in conjunction with CHMC insurance with proper due diligence will be covered by the taxpayer sooo...

Ok mea culpa, that I didn't know.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Great, business owners and rich people want to use UBI as a means to suppress income, that's a good solution :rolleyes:

Told you guys :smugbert:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

THC posted:

Told you guys :smugbert:

That's why you elect a guy like Caron who wants a GMI and to pay for it with a wealth tax (1% of wealth/year on the top 10%) and an inheritance tax (45% of estate over $5 million), plus better tax enforcement and preventing the use of tax havens. And his second major plank after income inequality is climate change.

Yeah, a GMI implemented by the drat Liberals will be done in a lovely way (whatever way helps their donors most), but a GMI done by an NDP government would be much better.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol calm down gomer pyle

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, a GMI implemented by the drat Liberals will be done

K I'm gonna stop you right there...

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
In other NDP news, Brian Graff has a court hearing today to try to force the NDP to let him run for leadership. They are saying no because he doesn't really support party policy and had a criminal harassment conviction in the 90s for stalking a woman. He's a long-time Liberal who wants to cut back on immigration.

WTF

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

If the Liberals implement a UBI they will do it by eliminating CCB, EI, Minimum Wage, OAS, GIS, GST Refunds, Rent Assist, Welfare, Disability and any other direct transfer benefits that I'm forgetting. You can't give low-income people something without taking something else away.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

If the Liberals implement a UBI they will do it by eliminating CCB, EI, Minimum Wage, OAS, GIS, GST Refunds, Rent Assist, Welfare, Disability and any other direct transfer benefits that I'm forgetting. You can't give low-income people something without taking something else away.

That's kind of the point of the whole idea.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Nope. UBI is intended to address income security. All those other programs address different needs and giving everyone the same amount of money despite the variance in their needs is inefficient and regressive as gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

That's how it's often sold, as economic efficiency, but it doesn't have to be.

cowofwar posted:

Nope. UBI is intended to address income security. All those other programs address different needs and giving everyone the same amount of money despite the variance in their needs is inefficient and regressive as gently caress.

I think you will find it is in fact true equality...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure any basic income strategy implemented by the liberals or really any current party would be a huge net loss for the most vulnerable. Hell I'd see them using it as an excuse to privatize or 2-tier healthcare. You'don't have to pay MSP premiums anymore, you have health care CHOICE now and we've returned the savings to you through your UBI.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Funnily enough I made the case that things like public healthcare and social services are important along with UBI to address issues of poverty. The organizers of that talk said that no, with UBI we can now have 2 tier healthcare since the poor can now pay for it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mr. Apollo posted:

Funnily enough I made the case that things like public healthcare and social services are important along with UBI to address issues of poverty. The organizers of that talk said that no, with UBI we can now have 2 tier healthcare since the poor can now pay for it.

Yep, this is why a lot of people are very against UBI. Next thing you know there's private healthcare and more private education, then no public option, then the private options becoming more and more expensive and no one on UBI earning anywhere close enough to afford either, except now there's no safety net to catch them. Health problem? Addiction? Depression? Lack of education? Tough poo poo, you get 10k a year from the government deal with it or die on the street, if you can afford your pedestrian permit from one of the many independant street management companies we now have in this glorious land of consumer choice.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I like that the folks most in favour of UBI are folks with comfortable, robot-proof salaries.

Personally I think that money would be better served developing a cheap, ubiquitous, environmentally-friendly suicide booth a la Futurama.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah i mean in theory you could have UBI and a humane society with a strong welfare state but don't assume someone's a leftist just because they support UBI, in fact it means they're probably a liberal!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any proposed "revenue neutral" or "cost neutral" program is regressive. UBI that doesn't involve new taxes and new spending is garbage. Sure you can trim some costs here and there where there's a direct overlap, but not much else.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

That's how it's often sold, as economic efficiency, but it doesn't have to be.

You can make it as inefficient as you drat well want, it's your hypothetical UBI. The wikipedia page for it has "Welfare substitution" as the #1 key principle under affordability though so I don't think I'm the crazy one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The wikipedia page for it has "Welfare substitution" as the #1 key principle under affordability though so I don't think I'm the crazy one.

Well poo poo, I guess that's the be-all end-all authoritative source on UBI, Wikipedia. I'm sorry for having suggested otherwise.

Please see my custom title.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Replace welfare and welfare only with UBI that is equal to or greater of a benefit to those people that need it would be good. Replacing the entirety of the Social Safety Net with UBI that is less that what people receive on those programs now would be bad. The Liberal or Conservative party of Canada is more likely to go with the latter.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Skippy Granola posted:

I like that the folks most in favour of UBI are folks with comfortable, robot-proof salaries.

Personally I think that money would be better served developing a cheap, ubiquitous, environmentally-friendly suicide booth a la Futurama.

Why not both?

DariusLikewise posted:

Replace welfare and welfare only with UBI that is equal to or greater of a benefit to those people that need it would be good. Replacing the entirety of the Social Safety Net with UBI that is less that what people receive on those programs now would be bad. The Liberal or Conservative party of Canada is more likely to go with the latter.

The program cost will be cheaper even if you give them more because the administration costs will plummet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

cowofwar posted:

Hahhahahaha consent is so burdensome. My profits!

How many girls do you think this guy has raped?

holy poo poo his name is even Chad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The three year Ontario pilot project is set to start sometime soon (if it hasn't already?) in Tbay, Lindsay, and Hamilton so you can just keep an eye on how that plays out.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/16/pilot-project-to-introduce-a-basic-income-in-ontario-gets-strong-public-support.html

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 26, 2018

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/incident-canadian-tire-rcmp-toronto-police-islamic-state-1.4147750

More copycat terrorism in Canada, probably inspired by the recent real organized network terrorism in England.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

no terrorism charges. lol reactionaries want terrorism to happen in canada so bad

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

THC posted:

lol reactionaries RCMP want terrorism investigation overtime pay to happen in canada so bad

ftfy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I went to the BC legislature on the weekend. All my life I've enjoyed going in there. You just walk in and it's cool and quiet and pretty. I used to wander in on my lunch breaks and just chill out or read a book in there as I worked close by. When the legislature was actually sitting I'd go up to the viewing gallery and watch and giggle and all the stupid shouting and posturing and chat with the nice old sergeant at arms. Sometimes I'd see MLA's roaming around that I recognised, I even made eye contact with Gordon Campbell and gave him a disapproving slow shake of the head. I mean these aren't important people, they're just MLA's what ever no one cares. But it almost made me feel slightly patriotic that our government was just regular accessible people and the government building was very casual and accessible.

I haven't been in about a year, but it was a super hot day so I wanted to roam in to cool down. First thing I notice is armed guards at the door, then my heart sank as I saw the full security theatre setup inside. They have a full on airport style security checkpoint where you have to put everything in trays to be scanned and go through a metal detector your self, all surrounded by tons of guards and security staff. Once inside, most of the building is closed off now and instead of just one or two friendly security folks it's nearly a dozen more guards of the variety that think them selves very very important and protecting the building from daily terror threats.

It's really sad and made me lose probably the one shred of "patriotism" I had left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

tbh that sounds like my visit to the house of commons when I was 12 (in the year 1999)