Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021

Endman posted:

Yeah, it’s a nice idea, but vast generalised statements are usually anathema to “good” history and often books like this just serve to disguise how little we actually know about human societies from before the historiographical record began.

I’m reading “The Dawn of Everything” written by the same guy who rote “Debt: The first 5,000 Years”. I have no idea how accurate it is, but the general thesis is that human society is not a straight forward evolution from hunter gather, horticulture, farming civilization etc. There’s lots of “choices” that early societies made and there’s a lot of variation within.

The main point is that you can’t look at the Kung people of the Kalahari and and extrapolate their society to every pre-modern society on earth. which is funny, because around the time I was taking anthropology classes in college, that seemed to be the implication.

But yeah, there’s a lot of conjecture coming from like shards of pottery and burial sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wouldn't surprise me to find out that we had shared Earth with other close relatives besides the Neanderthals.

I actually kind of wonder what sort of civilization was going on when the Bering Strait was something you could walk across. Were there people living up there?

the fearsome Alaskorussians

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Weka posted:

You don't just sail wherever, you follow the currents. So it's ~5000km of open ocean sailing across the Atlantic compared to ~7000km across the Pacific, but you've got to sail down the inhospitable coast of west Africa first.

if you sailed up past Japan and followed the North Pacific current, you’d end up in probably the Pacific Northwest though, from that map. Sail off the right hand side of the map and onto the left hand side.
I’m not a sailor though, so I could be wrong on this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There is no maximum safe working temperature limit in the UK and all our buildings are absolutely not designed for this

https://twitter.com/hannahfearn/status/1668207765473439749?t=pTkkdsdqQxIF_JQUE3nYag&s=19

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The thing with thought experiments like China colonising north america or kickstarting the Industrial revolution is the inherent implication that people would just be europeans if given the chance.

When in reality enough people would have looked at the necessary brutality like the north atlantic slave trade and noped out.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Junkozeyne posted:

The thing with thought experiments like China colonising north america or kickstarting the Industrial revolution is the inherent implication that people would just be europeans if given the chance.

When in reality enough people would have looked at the necessary brutality like the north atlantic slave trade and noped out.

The Song dynasty, the ones who made the proposal, had millions of (castrated) slaves, all Mongolians, Vietnamese, or other conquered "lesser" ethnic groups per their perspective. People are, in many times and many places, not ideal.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Never mind

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

The Song dynasty, the ones who made the proposal, had millions of (castrated) slaves, all Mongolians, Vietnamese, or other conquered "lesser" ethnic groups per their perspective. People are, in many times and many places, not ideal.

Yeah slavery existed in many forms across many cultures but considering the lasting effects of the american genocides or the ongoing! "underdevelopment" of Africa by Europe/Anglo countries pointing to random luck in geography robs the actors of a fair bit of (monstrous) agency

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

europeans are not uniquely evil. there examples of this kind of human behavior across all of history. humans are humans.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

Yeah slavery existed in many forms across many cultures but considering the lasting effects of the american genocides or the ongoing! "underdevelopment" of Africa by Europe/Anglo countries pointing to random luck in geography robs the actors of a fair bit of (monstrous) agency

no it doesn't.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Can a non-European brain even conceive of a thing called "evil"?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Reverse phrenology to prove the white brain is the most evil and stupid

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Reverse phrenology to prove the white brain is the most evil and stupid

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

[As Song soldiers drag another hundred Joseon villagers to the Castration Spot to enslave them]

dang these savages sure are noble

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think a lot of people just like to theorycraft alt history poo poo without getting into the weeds of how big a prospective rear end in a top hat a given state might be. it's like real world world-building.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

If Maximilien Robespierre had gotten laid one more time in his life the entire world would be french-marxist by now

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wouldn't surprise me to find out that we had shared Earth with other close relatives besides the Neanderthals.

they were called Denisovans

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the guy who found the cave the fossils were in was named Denis

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

indigi posted:

the guy who found the cave the fossils were in was named Denis

Denis
|

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Parrots38/status/1668902091560026115?t=GJ5mgiQjnKMQkB3_tpv_XQ&s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
oh my god lol

reminds me of the early days of Covid: evil totalitarian Chinese drones flying around telling people not to leave their homes versus fun wacky Italian drones flying around telling people not to leave their homes

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

vyelkin posted:

oh my god lol

reminds me of the early days of Covid: evil totalitarian Chinese drones flying around telling people not to leave their homes versus fun wacky Italian drones flying around telling people not to leave their homes

actual chinese in actual rome: what backward rear end village is this

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

oh my god lol

I only took Covid seriously when it hit Italy because I'm so used to cable news hyping up "scary Chinese disease" every few years. Got totally owned when it came roaring through and killed all of those people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/as_a_worker/status/1668451627764789248?t=cjQC1T0sPYK7VmCDRjRYpw&s=19

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Is it anticommunism? Or is it just typical communist navel-gazing and self loathing? Who knows? Is there even a difference?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Endman posted:

Is it anticommunism? Or is it just typical communist navel-gazing and self loathing? Who knows? Is there even a difference?

Anarchist so it's the first one.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
a command economy will never work i keep insisting while china outproduces everybody else by a county mile

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So the, what, 200 million people, inside the Soviet system just lacked the most basic goods huh? And then kept going for 20-30 years? Incredible.

Endman
May 18, 2010

YaketySass posted:

Anarchist so it's the first one.

Anarchists really just shouldn't be allowed

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
irl anarchists i know are mostly OK. we might disagree on this or that minor thing, but they're great comrades

otoh, i rarely see a twitter anarchist that doesn't walk in complete lockstep with US/MIC global agenda. it's almost like the popular US website is just an arm of the US propaganda machine, but surely that can't be true, they have free press!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

are you literally doing the thing from whatever australian show it's from

e: apparently it's from a german show called Die Känguru-Chroniken

stringless has issued a correction as of 11:19 on Jun 15, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i haven't seen that, but yeah

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Truga posted:

irl anarchists i know are mostly OK. we might disagree on this or that minor thing, but they're great comrades

otoh, i rarely see a twitter anarchist that doesn't walk in complete lockstep with US/MIC global agenda. it's almost like the popular US website is just an arm of the US propaganda machine, but surely that can't be true, they have free press!

I'm somewhat more disillusioned on Balkans anarchists than you are, but yeah, twitter anarchists are a special kind of plague

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's pretty much true, plus the revolution is probably never going to happen (insert Adam Curtis : "Because all their protesting happened on the internet and thus had no effect whatsoever. Oh Dear"), so best to just be chill

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Truga posted:

i haven't seen that, but yeah
cool and agreed tbh

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

indigi posted:

they were called Denisovans

There was another type of close relative they haven't found any remains for from Africa, identified only from our genes.

Cerebral Bore posted:

a command economy will never work i keep insisting while china outproduces everybody else by a county mile

Well, this is the hot takes thread. China doesn't have a command economy. Technically it's less of a mixed economy than America, it's just there is more direction to their government spending.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
buddy, like half the chinese economy is made up of directly state-owned enterprises and the other half is eminently commandable whenever the government decides to

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cerebral Bore posted:

buddy, like half the chinese economy is made up of directly state-owned enterprises and the other half is eminently commandable whenever the government decides to
are those state-owned enterprises commanded centrally, or do they just have a general purpose that they pursue in a decentralized manner? a state owned enterprise alone does not a command economy make.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Endman posted:

Anarchists really just shouldn't

saved u some words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Local shrimp idiot has opinion on economics, the field invented by Satan to pervert true political economy