Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don’t need a car I just kinda want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok so im gathering don’t test drive the e36

It's absolutely not worth even close to $9k, even factoring in the insanity of the used market.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok so im gathering don’t test drive the e36

for that price i'd get the 8th worst miata on the west coast

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Go drive it.

Offer $5k.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bad uses of $5k from worst to best

custom jpegs
crypto
a 30 year old german entry level car
gambling on sports
bottle service
onlyfans/twitch subscriptions
a down payment on a financed extremely ratty & beaten E92 M3

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Bad uses of $5k from worst to best

custom jpegs
crypto
a 30 year old german entry level car
gambling on sports
bottle service
onlyfans/twitch subscriptions
a down payment on a financed extremely ratty & beaten E92 M3
lol if u think that buying an e36 is a worse idea than financing a clapped out e92 m3.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
lotta lol ITT

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

lol if u think that buying an e36 is a worse idea than financing a clapped out e92 m3.

I think the point is that neither is a good idea

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'd say a $5k e36 is a fine choice over the usual NA miata. Go for it.

M3 is entirely a "be this tall to ride" territory. With a deece amount of wrenching, you can keep the rest on the road.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I saw that one up close it was lovely

Edit they have a new one up lol https://www.bmwofhumboldtbay.com/used/BMW/1982-BMW-320I%20SEDAN-456d54b20a0e09a82f043eacada9e036.htm

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 19, 2022

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What should the UB voltage be in an E82 with a freshly replaced battery? I think either my IBS module is going out or the alternator is, this morning on the way to work I got the red battery warning, e.g the alternator wasn't supplying enough power to the battery. On my way home I monitored the voltage through the hidden menu and it started at like 11.7 with the car running (pretty sure this meant the alternator wasn't doing anything since the warning kept popping up)and then went up to around 13.1-13.2 while driving on the highway, though that would drop down to around 12.7 or so if I had the AC on full blast. The warning doesn't seem to come on under 12 volts from what I can tell. The battery was replaced with a geninue BMW battery and coded by the dealership a couple months ago when I last had it in the shop so I don't think it's that.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Very concerned on how insurance is going to handle this one. Got absolutely hosed by some idiot behind me that tried to pull out from our dead stop lane into traffic going 45 and got slammed by an HD truck into my rear quarter.

Big loving sigh watching this poo poo go down in my rear view with nothing to do sucks rear end.

The idiot:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Ouch. That stinks. As a fellow E91 owner I hope they fix it for you.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 20, 2022

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Unfortunately I think that's going to be a total. Hope you can buy it back.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Super sucks :(

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
May your insurance check fund an E91 M3 build. :mario:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yeah I am really not sure how it’s going to end up, the D pillar unibody being damaged does not bode well and the hatch clearance being off doesn’t either. However it does not appear to have any damage to like the suspension area.

If it gets totaled I am not sure what I would do, it’s the second accident for this car, but it also has a fuckload of nice components in it. I might rather search for an auto m sport rwd to have the interior I want to start as a base for an S65 since I would be swapping in a manual anyway with the drivetrain. Or I just buy an e90 m3 and give up wagon hopes and dreams. Or I buy an NA miata for a couple grand and just shrug. Who knows, I am a bit bummed at the moment.

Ideally it’s not totaled and instead of bringing it back to stock I use the insurance money to just do the rear widebody and bumper that I was wanting to do anyway. But thats a longshot ha

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It sucks, but if it's been in a previous accident then it's time to stop giving a poo poo about a salvage title, just find a high end body shop and remind them to practice orange peel painting. There's almost no way a hit that big didn't gently caress up the doors on the passenger side in some small or large degree as well so now that it's a project, throw the body shop manager/owner an additional $2k cash to put M3 arches & bumper on it on top of your payout to fix it - buy back costs, and then start looking for a S65 and live in shame that you're down 3 exhaust pipes on the bumper cutout until that happens.

Those wheels are going to look wrong on a M3 width though.

I don't see how someone who needs a wagon M3 is going to cope with the size of an NA Miata??

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
gently caress all that just get a new car

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

gently caress all that just get a new car
yup

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Yes, simply and easily acquire a different, brand new, and entirely suitable vehicle.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

in particular, may I suggest the "E92" "M3" sports coupe, produced by Bayerische Motoren Werke AG

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
4 doors or gtfo

(unless it's the clown car, then please proceed)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

It sucks, but if it's been in a previous accident then it's time to stop giving a poo poo about a salvage title, just find a high end body shop and remind them to practice orange peel painting. There's almost no way a hit that big didn't gently caress up the doors on the passenger side in some small or large degree as well so now that it's a project, throw the body shop manager/owner an additional $2k cash to put M3 arches & bumper on it on top of your payout to fix it - buy back costs, and then start looking for a S65 and live in shame that you're down 3 exhaust pipes on the bumper cutout until that happens.

Those wheels are going to look wrong on a M3 width though.

I don't see how someone who needs a wagon M3 is going to cope with the size of an NA Miata??

Yes this is pretty much the thoughts running through my mind.

As for wheels, yeah I figured I’d slap some spacers in the rear or just find some marketplace m wheels

NA miata is just, have a cheap car for a bit while I mull things over. I have already been looking for one, as evidenced earlier in thread, as a second car anyway.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 20, 2022

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Elite Taco posted:

Yes, simply and easily acquire a different, brand new, and entirely suitable vehicle.

Yes, that would be my advice. There are places you can go that specialize in selling vehicles to consumers, where he would likely find a suitable replacement.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yes, that would be my advice. There are places you can go that specialize in selling vehicles to consumers, where he would likely find a suitable replacement.

But BMWs with E in the generation name are the only cars that exist.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Interesting.

KillHour posted:

But BMWs with E in the generation name are the only cars that exist.

Thank you!

Full disclosure: when my e91 eventually dies somehow, I'm going old porsche. v0v Unless I somehow figure out how to get a B3/B5 wagon here...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Any idea what the OEM brake fluid is in M cars? I'd hope it's something good enough for track use but I'm going to Watkins Glen in October and I'd rather not find out differently during the downhill braking zone into turn 1.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KillHour posted:

Any idea what the OEM brake fluid is in M cars? I'd hope it's something good enough for track use but I'm going to Watkins Glen in October and I'd rather not find out differently during the downhill braking zone into turn 1.

Flush the whole system out with a high boiling point fluid a week or two before the event. You have a fast car with lots of grip but also lots of weight, don't ruin a weekend with old brake fluid. Think the general recommendation is Motul 600, 660 or 700.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Flush the whole system out with a high boiling point fluid a week or two before the event. You have a fast car with lots of grip but also lots of weight, don't ruin a weekend with old brake fluid. Think the general recommendation is Motul 600, 660 or 700.

I was just going to have the dealer bleed it when they do the oil change since it's only a year old. I normally run Motul 660 but I figured that would be basically what it comes with.

Edit: poo poo, RBF660 got expensive what the gently caress

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 21, 2022

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Everything appears to have gotten expensive.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The supply chain, as we say in the industry is "hosed"

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

KillHour posted:

I was just going to have the dealer bleed it when they do the oil change since it's only a year old. I normally run Motul 660 but I figured that would be basically what it comes with.

Edit: poo poo, RBF660 got expensive what the gently caress

OE fluid is likely pentosin dot4, which is not as good as typ200, nevermind rbf660.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Speaking of brake fluid, I lost a bunch recently and posted it over in the WDYDTYCT thread. It turns out it was the clutch slave cylinder that failed but my clutch pedal and associated plastic pieces also failed at the same time. Since this care is 20+ years old I usually try to replace systems instead of individual parts. In this case I replaced the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave, and clutch pedal.

FCP has been flawless for me forever but they forgot one of the two clutch return spring pieces that I needed to go with the new clutch pedal. It turns out you can drive the car just fine without although the pedal feels a little wonky.

Pedal box

The culprit

Assume the position

I needed new rear tires so it was time to test the clutch repair and send them off to Valhalla. It's been a while since we had a burnout in this thread.

Fresh meat

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Hi thread, I have a 118i 2016 model. A couple of days ago, the centre console warned me that my oil was at the minimum level and to top it up 1 litre. I did so and all was fine for about 10 miles then the notice came up again, so I added another litre, the warning didn't go away. After about another 20 miles another warning came up saying the oil level had dropped below minimum and to top it up immediately. I'm reluctant to keep adding oil as I know the tank is only 4.5 litres. I don't think there's a leak and suspect it's a sensor issue.

I've booked in to see a mechanic but it's a long weekend here in the UK so it won't be until next week now.

This model doesn't have a dipstick so I can't manually check the oil level but the red "oil pressure" light hasn't come on, which according to google means it's probably an oil level sensor issue and safe to drive but I really don't know much (or anything) about cars so was hoping someone could weigh in on whether they think it would be safe to drive in the meantime or not?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I would drain and measure the oil in your shoes.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

I would drain and measure the oil in your shoes.

Shoes aren't good for oil volume measurement. Use a catch pan. :buddy:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Tea Bone posted:

Hi thread, I have a 118i 2016 model. A couple of days ago, the centre console warned me that my oil was at the minimum level and to top it up 1 litre. I did so and all was fine for about 10 miles then the notice came up again, so I added another litre, the warning didn't go away. After about another 20 miles another warning came up saying the oil level had dropped below minimum and to top it up immediately. I'm reluctant to keep adding oil as I know the tank is only 4.5 litres. I don't think there's a leak and suspect it's a sensor issue.

I've booked in to see a mechanic but it's a long weekend here in the UK so it won't be until next week now.

This model doesn't have a dipstick so I can't manually check the oil level but the red "oil pressure" light hasn't come on, which according to google means it's probably an oil level sensor issue and safe to drive but I really don't know much (or anything) about cars so was hoping someone could weigh in on whether they think it would be safe to drive in the meantime or not?

I would definitely wager on it being a sensor issue - if you was losing that much oil in that short a time via a leak or burning you would know.

So the issue is given the sensor is likely bad was you low on oil to begin with? Or was the first warning correct and subsequent warnings faulty? Without knowing I personally would only drive the car if it is absolutely necessary until it can be looked at.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I would definitely wager on it being a sensor issue - if you was losing that much oil in that short a time via a leak or burning you would know.

So the issue is given the sensor is likely bad was you low on oil to begin with? Or was the first warning correct and subsequent warnings faulty? Without knowing I personally would only drive the car if it is absolutely necessary until it can be looked at.

I don't know for certain but I suspect the first warning was faulty as well. I've called in a favour this morning and had a mechanic take a quick look at it and he said that there's definitely oil in there and wouldn't top it up any further. Like I said it's driving fine and there's no sign of oil leakage.

Edit: Thanks for the input everyone. The warning had disappeared now but when I measure the level it still says it's below minimum. I've got someone changing the oil for me tomorrow morning now so presumably after draining it and knowing what's there I'll have more peace of mind.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
Test driving a 2015 328i with 60k miles tomorrow. What should I be looking for in a low mileage bmw or should I be running away from this?