Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

All my numbers went down today, so Monday I'll be rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hey could someone PM me when the markets hit the peak, thanks in advance.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

movax posted:

It’s not worth brain cells trying to apply reason to TSLA valuation. Still hopeful they’ll die soon and better companies will bring EVs to market that aren’t engineering deathtraps.

Teslas have been out for a long time now. GM has had plenty of opportunity to upgrade their vehicles, but I rented a new Acadia last week and it was the same old shitbox.

Think y'all should drive a model 3 around a bit before shorting any Tesla.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're OK. Honestly I feel like the build quality is pretty lovely. And for the price you can get an amazingly built used Lexus or BMW.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
TSLA is more than a car company, FYI

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

movax posted:

It’s not worth brain cells trying to apply reason to TSLA valuation. Still hopeful they’ll die soon and better companies will bring EVs to market that aren’t engineering deathtraps.

haha remember when tesla, a huge corporation, literally tried to have someone assassinated by swatting them?

https://twitter.com/awinston/status/1198281740852322304?lang=en

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

greasyhands posted:

TSLA is more than a car company, FYI

Yes, it's a stock promotion scheme that misleads consumers and a massively unprofitable and dying solar energy company.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Race Realists posted:

haha remember when tesla, a huge corporation, literally tried to have someone assassinated by swatting them?

https://twitter.com/awinston/status/1198281740852322304?lang=en

Elon Musk is Henry Ford 2.0 with better spying technology.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I still feel like using the YTD number is cheating given the timing of the 2018 crash. Stocks values were, IMO, artificially depressed during that period because of the shutdown.

It's not like most big crashes where it takes years for the market to recover and so you can argue that the market was reflecting an inherent loss of value in the economy.

Yeah, even beyond the December crash, the market was down for the year, and down basically 20% from the high. There's a solid argument that 2018 was a bear market and constitutes a "reset" or whatever, if that poo poo even matters

It's definitely kind of comical to listen to MAGA boomers crow about their 401ks that are *checks math* up the regular historical return of 10% per year over the last two years

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Baddog posted:

Teslas have been out for a long time now. GM has had plenty of opportunity to upgrade their vehicles, but I rented a new Acadia last week and it was the same old shitbox.

Think y'all should drive a model 3 around a bit before shorting any Tesla.

Ya nobody here is praising GM's poo poo evs but I think TSLA and GM are not the only companies make EVs( all the eu makers + asian). Also the earliest projection for EVs overtaking Gas cars is in 20 years+, that is earliest maybe the projection is wrong and it will accelerate due to carbon tax implementation or something but it is still far off. Meanwhile until that happens TSLA is missing on that whole market and still is incapable of producing at the rate of other oems even in their ev production despite investing billions to make giga factories to automate the whole process.

And please lets not say TSLA is a tech company because the valuations and margins for that are completely different, when they sell hardly any tech and like over 90% of their revenue is from car sales. I just was saying the valuation these days seem like the best case scenario and even more.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
For airlines why does CASM-ex go up when they add planes to service? I figured you get some kind of fixed cost leverage but I’m obviously missing something.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Chatting with my Father over the holidays I was recounted two surprising tales bearish on the Automobile sector, whether ICE or Electric.

Anecdata ensues:

The first and most interesting story comes from my Father's chat with his long time pal now retired but who used to be a Big Important Person at Ontario Power Generation (OPG). The two were on vacation and being Boomers with a love of cars impulsively walked into the car show that was going on near their hotel. Checking out all the latest electric cars, the ex-OPG bigwig stated that they were never going to replace ICE cars because the power requirements would be enormous as would the cost of new infrastructure and it is all beyond the provinces' ability.

At this point in the story I expected my Father's friend to launch into a passionate call to action for more nuclear power to address this, but I was surprised to hear that he dismissed the whole idea, citing the public's anathema to nuclear on top of the incredible time and expense of creating new nuclear power stations. Not to say that he thinks the ICE automobile based infrastructure status quo will prevail. Rather he thinks governments will look at the incredible expense of increased power generation to meet the new demand in comparison to the climate impact of the status quo and pursue a third, less costly, option of building more and more electrified public transit.

"Build more public transit" is like the hipster millennial urbanist solution to the climate crisis, so it was surprising to me to hear this from a retired car loving boomer. Perhaps though he's clued in enough into cost adverse government bureaucrat thinking that he could be right that the Province could shift in this unexpected way.

The second, much briefer story comes from my Father aiding a sales transaction of a Toyota Dealer selling off his dealership. Asked by my Father why he's selling, the Dealer states that of course he's retiring (though he isn't all that old ~60), but added that he sees car ownership as peaking for much the same reasons as the OPG bigwig. He expects some wall will be hit on selling ICE SUVs (government intervention?) but doesn't expect a Prius in everyone's driveway is viable either. Again a perspective one doesn't expect to hear from that sort of source.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
That guy is right that increasing public transit is the obvious solution but it has been for decades and the US had just added the sixth and seventh interstate lanes instead.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The go to solution has always been to add another car lane because in major part it's the cheapest and easiest modification to the status quo. The point of the ex-energy executive I suppose is that with the dynamic of climate change thrown in, adding another lane and doubling down on cars is no longer the cheapest option.

Of course these stories come from a Canadian perspective where there is now a carbon tax in place and public transit investment is experiencing a bit of an uptick (though is still relatively poor in comparison with other parts of the world).

In the USA, a different context, perhaps folks will continue to double down on ICE cars for some years to come...?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Electric vehicle sales are down year over year while SUVs as a percentage of all vehicle shipments keep increasing. So yes. Long BWA, and oil

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Comrayn posted:

That guy is right that increasing public transit is the obvious solution but it has been for decades and the US had just added the sixth and seventh interstate lanes instead.

No one wants to ride with poors. Everyone tries to rationalize other issues, but that is the base problem.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
idk, trains are fuckin great in Japan. I always figured we just weren't dense enough population wise to make the numbers work.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Foma posted:

No one wants to ride with poors. Everyone tries to rationalize other issues, but that is the base problem.

That is certainly a thing but from having lived and travelled in Europe and also used the NYC Subway system. The turnoff for me in the USA for everywhere except those major cities (maybe Chicago, San Fran?, NYC) is that the public transit options are so sparse that you waste sometimes hours of your time to take a bus versus driving your car. Or maybe you aren't wasting an hour but there's like 2 times the whole day where your desired destinations are serviced.

Now how do you go from poor transit to a critical mass like you see in Europe? Probably some sort of blockchain startup that TED talks the rideshare apps into public control.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

idk, trains are fuckin great in Japan. I always figured we just weren't dense enough population wise to make the numbers work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kor5nHtZQ yes sign me up right away.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

We’re getting far afield here but you have to remember, we had passenger rail transit into tiny dirt towns 120 years ago.

Times changed and policy changed. It’s not 100% the fault of cars; zoning and politics has made things a lot harder here than it has to be.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No matter what the solution is, it's going to immediately get taxed to hell and back to make up for the loss of gas/car/whatever revenue the government is losing.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Solice Kirsk posted:

No matter what the solution is, it's going to immediately get taxed to hell and back to make up for the loss of gas/car/whatever revenue the government is losing.

Electric bill goes up. Probably.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Tomorrow's gonna be a fun day

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Predictions?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MetaJew posted:

Predictions?

I am going to make (lose) a lot of money

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Tomorrow's gonna be a fun day
Finally?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjO1bMHbDpY

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Predictions?

Pain.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Where is all my money going. Come back, money.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My salary next year will be at least 23% higher. I wonder if it makes sense to sell/rebuy my positions to take the tax hit on gains this year.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

My salary next year will be at least 23% higher. I wonder if it makes sense to sell/rebuy my positions to take the tax hit on gains this year.

Well the math on this should be pretty straightforward but don’t forget to factor in whether something is STCG vs. LTCG and if waiting a bit would change that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

John F Bennett posted:

Where is all my money going. Come back, money.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Things seem to be recovering a bit now. I'm guessing lots of buying on the dips?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Covered some Nvidia short in order to add more to apple short. Apple is gonna screw me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Now that is efficient!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Elephanthead posted:

Now that is efficient!

I find this frotteurly appealing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That is the exception, not the rule :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/ehkn8w/im_testing_an_experimental_drug_to_see_if_it/

Reddit front page, eh? Can't be too bad for the ol' company

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
My personal finances are finally in a state that excuses some gambling, which biotech stocks should I fill 80% of my portolio with over the next three days

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Agronox posted:

Well the math on this should be pretty straightforward but don’t forget to factor in whether something is STCG vs. LTCG and if waiting a bit would change that.
Did a quick check and except for AMD and CRTX, my big gainers were purchased before 2019 so I’ll be paying 15% regardless. No point to sell/rebuy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Femur posted:

Covered some Nvidia short in order to add more to apple short. Apple is gonna screw me.

Anecdata from buying an Apple Watch and AirPods the other day, the flagship Apple Store in Vancouver is unable to keep the AirPods Pro in stock because they fly off the shelf immediately. They have no idea when they'll get more in.

People love noise cancellation that much or production trouble?