Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

overthefalls posted:

Ah, it's nice to paint again.

Put about 8 hours into my mommy buggy and I'm content where it is, considering I had no intention on painting this weekend.

I'm still a terrible photographer so there's far too much light on the picture, but I don't care right now. It's been nearly 3 months since I've painted with any sort of regularity, so it's nice to get back on the horse.

I've also changed my opinion on the GW texture paints. I quite like the base on this; tried them again on a lark.

Get a purple wash into the deepest folds on that stomach. You'll like what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
What shades of brown and red do people use to make a rust wash. I'm looking at the Privateer Press site and the model they show for the dire troll bomber and I'm trying to replicate the rusted look of the harness on it's back. I figure brown, some red and a lot of water to thin it way down but I'd love some suggestions. Link of the model I'm referring to below.

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/trollbloods/warbeasts/dire-troll-bomber

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Spigs posted:

What shades of brown and red do people use to make a rust wash. I'm looking at the Privateer Press site and the model they show for the dire troll bomber and I'm trying to replicate the rusted look of the harness on it's back. I figure brown, some red and a lot of water to thin it way down but I'd love some suggestions. Link of the model I'm referring to below.

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/trollbloods/warbeasts/dire-troll-bomber

PP's studio uses weathering powders for their rust effects.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah weathering powders and thinner (or whatever you use, I use airbrush thinner) make the best rust effects.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Spigs posted:

If you must make your own wash I've been using a mix of flame orange, indian yellow, and magenta

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

krushgroove posted:

Yeah weathering powders and thinner (or whatever you use, I use airbrush thinner) make the best rust effects.

Could you tell me more? Do you just mix them into an ungodly slurry and let the thinner evaporate off?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's one way to do it. Mix them into a mud, paint it on, and then let it dry. Or you can drybrush it on while dry and then hit it with some alcohol.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

overthefalls posted:

Ah, it's nice to paint again.

Put about 8 hours into my mommy buggy and I'm content where it is, considering I had no intention on painting this weekend.

Was going to recommend a purple wash on the belly, but gaylord beat me to it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I need a source on some 28mm figures of guys in workers jumpsuits/painter suits/tank crewman suits, preferably with no hats or helmets unless they are motorcycle helmets.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
It's ironic that I have to order an adapter for my Paasche hose seeing as I've got a Badger compressor but, holy poo poo, that discount on the SOTAR is too good to pass up. Thanks for the heads up.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ineptmule posted:

Could you tell me more? Do you just mix them into an ungodly slurry and let the thinner evaporate off?

BULBASAUR posted:

That's one way to do it. Mix them into a mud, paint it on, and then let it dry. Or you can drybrush it on while dry and then hit it with some alcohol.

• For a 'light rust' effect, drybrushing the powder and dropping thinner on works well.
  • For a rust wash effect (in the deeper areas of a model), I mix a bit of powder in a few cc of thinner and spread it on.
  • For another type of rust effect, tap a brush loaded with powder onto the model and drop thinner on.
  • For a more surface rust effect, spread thinner on the model and then tap a brush loaded with powder onto the model
  • For a chunky mud effect (tires, fenders, mud guards and tank tracks), add a lot of powder to thinner and spread it on in chunks.

I think these are the main ways to use powders, but there are probably more I can't remember at the moment. I do hit the powders with lacquer afterwards to keep it in place because everything I paint gets used in games, but if it's for display only you don't have to do this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You can also load the front up with powder and then blast thinner through an airbrush front the front to give you movement effects on planes/skimmers too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also gently caress. Yes. This kit is amazing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is that Curze?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I might buy it for that superhero looking solar auxilia on the right. Incidental dead dude sculpt is awesome.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 10, 2014

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010
Curze sighting! Can't wait for mine to show up. Better stock up on Blood for the Blood God technical paint.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think he might be the smallest primarch yet. He doesnt seem any bigger than Lorgar.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

I think he might be the smallest primarch yet. He doesnt seem any bigger than Lorgar.

He's absolutely a manlet. Compare him to the assault marine and he's really not much bigger.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I need a source on some 28mm figures of guys in workers jumpsuits/painter suits/tank crewman suits, preferably with no hats or helmets unless they are motorcycle helmets.

It's a super expensive way of doing it, but I've been using the Forge World Elysians as the basis for my Necromunda Van Saars and that's kind of the look you might be going for?

Edit: also, cheers all for the weathering powder advice. It's a scary new world.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

He's absolutely a manlet. Compare him to the assault marine and he's really not much bigger.

He's also in a weird splayed-leg position - he's primarch scale. Even in that weird pose, he's still taller than the standard Marine.

ineptmule posted:

It's a super expensive way of doing it, but I've been using the Forge World Elysians as the basis for my Necromunda Van Saars.
Wow - good idea. I may steal that. I was just cataloging my NM stuff, and realizing the real Van Saars kind of suck.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Slimnoid posted:

Wow, that model is gorgeous. £57 is totally bonkers though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Just finished this Tamiya armoured car.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That looks fantastic, and I'm assuming you're doing the German desert mustard-yellow, but something about your lighting setup / sealing coat makes it look like you went ball-to-the-wall NMM bronze on that 223.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, that's Tamiya Desert Yellow. I think it's the auto colour balance on my camera. I tried fiddling with the colour balance to make it look more like it does in real life, but it still didn't look quite right.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ineptmule posted:

It's a super expensive way of doing it, but I've been using the Forge World Elysians as the basis for my Necromunda Van Saars and that's kind of the look you might be going for?

Edit: also, cheers all for the weathering powder advice. It's a scary new world.

I'm modelling a 1980's Japanese street gang for a new miniatures game my group is playing that is all about 80's martial arts/Hong Kong action flicks.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

The Supreme Court posted:

Wow, that model is gorgeous. £57 is totally bonkers though.

Kind of surprised it's not the dark knight style perched on top of a gargoyle pose.

Whole thing looks weird to me. Seems like he has bad footing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm modelling a 1980's Japanese street gang for a new miniatures game my group is playing that is all about 80's martial arts/Hong Kong action flicks.

I wanna know when and why the second from left and third from right traded boots.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Looks like there's a line of minis for a game called Kiss Kiss Bang Bang that might fit the bill. I found them when I was looking around here.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm 3300 posts behind on this thread so here's a crosspost:

ghetto wormhole posted:

Say hello to Commissar Skull!

Bonus terrible pic of the Ordo Hereticus inquisitor I finally finished:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Also gently caress. Yes. This kit is amazing.

I don't usually do much painting over the winter, but he's definitely on the list once the sun comes back again

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Preiser makes 1:50 scale mechanics in jumpsuits (68212) that might work, but they're architectural figures and might not come unpainted.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Preiser makes 1:50 scale mechanics in jumpsuits (68212) that might work, but they're architectural figures and might not come unpainted.

Well, the first thing I thought when I saw the guy in white was "Japanese construction worker," so your recommendation isn't far off. The only thing he's missing is a green cross on his helmet.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Argh, this keeps happening. I get the urge to paint something while I'm at work, but by the end of the day I'm too tired to actually sit down and do it. Grrr.

Definitely need to work on some stuff this weekend. I'm way behind.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

My conquest finally came in (albeit missing pieces) so its finally time for me to start making my base for the thing. What would be the best material to flesh out a trench like this?

Not sure what would look best. Should I be making a mound then a tench, or raise the whole base like a cutaway? Want to to be sturdy and not too gaudy.

Open to alternative ideas as well. Just spent a ton of money on this thing and really want to nail the base.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Esser-Z posted:

Argh, this keeps happening. I get the urge to paint something while I'm at work, but by the end of the day I'm too tired to actually sit down and do it. Grrr.

Definitely need to work on some stuff this weekend. I'm way behind.

This is me, all the time. Or I'll go to bed thinking of a color scheme and toss and turn then I'm exhausted the next day and don't feel like painting.

Wish I knew the secret to feeling refreshed when I get home so I can hobby more.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is me, all the time. Or I'll go to bed thinking of a color scheme and toss and turn then I'm exhausted the next day and don't feel like painting.

Wish I knew the secret to feeling refreshed when I get home so I can hobby more.

Cocaine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's how I painted so many Valhallans in just a few short months, and it doubled as a handy basing material for their snow bases!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I've been working on some GorkaMorka muties. Pretty pleased with how they are coming out. I've always wanted to make a raiding party of these guys, but the originial models a) cost crazy money these days and b) look like utter balls. I imagine them as being like Tusken Raiders, less 'spikes and tentacles' and more Fallout-style mutated, hideous and bitter about it, so they hide themselves behind the masks and rags etc.

I'm leaning towards differentiating the Unks and Snagas more with the different sized mounts - it makes sense to me, seeing as they are treated as a single model, that having the rather fearsome looking dinosaurs represent a large part of the model's stats, so the heavier, tougher looking old style cold ones work well for the Unks.

First Unk

First Snaga/Seeker

Probably Keeper?

I really don't like the current lizardmen cold ones - they look so goofy, especially their really inept looking forelimbs. GW really hosed up I think with the lizardmen range.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to green stuff, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to build up the stowed kit/gear and make it seem more like it's really attached to the saddle or harness. I've tried to put a sort of leather underlayer beneath each collection of kit, as well as sort of balancing the amount/volume on either side, but these green stuff bits are pretty lacking in detail, so I need some ideas of how to busy it up a bit and make it look a bit more interesting.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wow - good idea. I may steal that. I was just cataloging my NM stuff, and realizing the real Van Saars kind of suck.

I'm really liking the effect. I also think the Elysian lasguns look awesomely different and high-tech which definitely fits for the Van Saar. Here's my VS test model:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

I'm really liking the effect. I also think the Elysian lasguns look awesomely different and high-tech which definitely fits for the Van Saar. Here's my VS test model:

Her head looks a bit big. Are you using the truescale or heroic heads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Heroic. Yeah, it is too big. They came from Statuesque, and I'm considering getting their true scale heads instead, which would be nice as there are many more options at that scale.

However then I have the issue of trying to get the scale to match across the rest of the heads I've got. I've got heads from like 6 different suppliers, so I'm going to have to figure it out.

Edit: I guess the other thing to note is the Elysian bodies seem pretty small - true scale or even slightly smaller. Finding heads with a sufficient range of aesthetics at the right scales is hard :(

• Locked thread