Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

He said controllers so no, not Meraki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

So apparently the production wireless network at my previous workplace has been down since tuesday. My previous boss, who I feel I had a great relationship with, finally reached out to me by text as a last resort. The details were every ap/controller is online, but not functioning with clients. About 30 spanning 3 IDF's. All went down the same day.

"Did you renew the licenses for the aps like I updated on the what-to-buy list before I left?"

"Oh, do we need those?"

I can't fathom why they didn't contact support or if they did why support didn't nail that down right away. I guess they cheapened out on my replacement.

This sounds like the true Meraki experience.

e: ^ drat you're right

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You also can't click on a single Meraki page and not see the massive red banner at the top clearly explaining that your APs are down because your license expired. They make it painfully obvious what's happening, to the point where a non-IT person can understand why it's not working. There wouldn't be a mystery if they were on Meraki.

vvv maybe they were on trial licenses that needed to be purchased before X date?

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 7, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm drawing a blank with which other wireless vendor kill-switches the product if you don't renew licenses.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You also can't click on a single Meraki page and not see the massive red banner at the top clearly explaining that your APs are down because your license expired. They make it painfully obvious what's happening, to the point where a non-IT person can understand why it's not working. There wouldn't be a mystery if they were on Meraki.

vvv maybe they were on trial licenses that needed to be purchased before X date?

Bingo.

These are all cisco ap's on controllers all using the trial licenses. Some licenses for the controllers were purchased by my boss but I think the count was only 4 total and we needed at least 30. These were all new ap's and controllers as we did a massive overhaul and like a lot of things I expected him to shuffle his feet on buying them since they are expensive. I suspect there was some other changes that were made to the network as the controller based ap's would keep their configs, or should.

I asked him if the ap's were showing up in the list of the controllers and he answer "no" so there is no doubt the licenses expired. Doing some googling, it looks like they are only good for 3 months.

I am sure waiting on CDW to get them licenses is going to be a fun wait.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't get my head around the thinking that is happy to pay for that much hardware, the site surveys, the physical install of the equipment and then not just put the licenses on the initial purchase. It's not like after three months you'd go "nah this isn't for us".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can't get my head around the thinking that is happy to pay for that much hardware, the site surveys, the physical install of the equipment and then not just put the licenses on the initial purchase. It's not like after three months you'd go "nah this isn't for us".

Because you didn't need them day 1, order them later!

I was already on my notice period and had checked out. We had gone through a roller coaster of ap's not coming with antennae despite CDW listing them on the product and poe injectors not coming with power supplies. Normally I wouldn't even ask for approval and just buy them, but at that point I had already handed in my credit card. The only thing we did right during that rollout was the site servey and third party installation of the ap's.

My previous boss was also totally devoting his time to crypto currencies when I left and probably is consumed by it now. Its not very surprising.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
This is the kind of story that reinforces my inclination to half-rear end my notice period documentation and cleanup as much as possible. If they're not even going to glance at it, why am I wasting my energy?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
So, on licensing.

We have a big customer. $700k per box, yearly license renewals for support and firmware updates etc. Customer's renewals are paid for through their contract with us.

Upstairs refuses to provide license renewals because their budget is too tight. The customer who has PAID for license renewals is not getting a license renewal because someone in another country decided they wouldn't be providing a GODDAMN TEXT FILE THAT DOESN'T COST THEM ANY MONEY for someone who has already paid 6 figures.

Instead, they have been cutting 30-day trial license every month for the last 5 months. For a customer we've had for at least 7 years. Trial licenses do not include hardware support....

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
That sounds like you HAD a big customer because I couldn't see any company putting up with that.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

iRend posted:

So, on licensing.

We have a big customer. $700k per box, yearly license renewals for support and firmware updates etc. Customer's renewals are paid for through their contract with us.

Upstairs refuses to provide license renewals because their budget is too tight. The customer who has PAID for license renewals is not getting a license renewal because someone in another country decided they wouldn't be providing a GODDAMN TEXT FILE THAT DOESN'T COST THEM ANY MONEY for someone who has already paid 6 figures.

Instead, they have been cutting 30-day trial license every month for the last 5 months. For a customer we've had for at least 7 years. Trial licenses do not include hardware support....

Uhhhhhhhhhhh................

wargames posted:

That sounds like you HAD a big customer because I couldn't see any company putting up with that.

Yeah that.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Let me tell you about nVidia M60 licensing for the GRID drivers... hoo boy.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Malek posted:

Let me tell you about nVidia M60 licensing for the GRID drivers... hoo boy.

That would be great actually. We are getting ready to start using a few. Are there some hangups I need to watch out for?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Gealar posted:

That would be great actually. We are getting ready to start using a few. Are there some hangups I need to watch out for?

You will bleed money. The hardware isn't expensive... by comparison.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Student e-mailed his professor and CC'd support for some reason?

quote:

I am having an issue with my grade
I want to look over my final and I would also like to get in touch
with you. My final grade says I am .000001% away from passing however I
believe that in science, human error is a root cause for many issues that
occur in the real world which may have caused this to be the result. I also
would be willing to do any extra credit so I don't have to spend $2000 for
a worse teacher. I am also a bit concerned about how I could get a
54.49999% if grades are graded by absolute numbers and not such small
decimals.I am frustrated and I hope that we can work something out.

Sincerely,

The Frustrated Engineering
Student,

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

He's being pretty reasonable about it. I've seen some students go apeshit over the same thing in the past.

I also didn't realize 55% was considered a passing grade. A TA from when I was in school had the mantra "C's make degrees"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Danyull posted:

Student e-mailed his professor and CC'd support for some reason?

Maybe he's hoping IT can "fix" the computer to round to the next nearest whole number?

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

The Fool posted:

He's being pretty reasonable about it. I've seen some students go apeshit over the same thing in the past.

I also didn't realize 55% was considered a passing grade. A TA from when I was in school had the mantra "C's make degrees"

"D is for Done" was mine.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MisterZimbu posted:

"D is for Done" was mine.

D is for Doctor no it isnt

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

The Fool posted:

This can fluctuate from program/institution. Good on the engineer for seeming at least sort of reasonable. Odd he'd include the helpdesk on it. That prof can bump up that grade but it sure won't really help him down the road.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Some places also have different scores for passing in major vs out of major classes, where you pretty much have to just be conscious to pass an out of major class but in major classes require actually decent scores.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Fool posted:

A TA from when I was in school had the mantra "C's make degrees"

What I heard was "A's get paid, B's get degrees"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lol the part that gets me is

quote:

I am also a bit concerned about how I could get a 54.49999% if grades are graded by absolute numbers and not such small decimals.

You can get all kinds of decimals when calculating an average! Try getting a percentage for your 1923 points out of 2501 possible for the semester. (the answer has a shitload of decimal places)

Engineering student doesn't get basic math, I guess?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

You can get all kinds of decimals when calculating an average! Try getting a percentage for your 1923 points out of 2501 possible for the semester. (the answer has a shitload of decimal places)

The professor should give him an extra credit problem to explain the math used to arrive at that score, and make it worth just enough to push it to 55%

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

People come up with all sorts of crazy poo poo to get out of cheating/failing at school. My fiancee got her master's in psychology, in either her last semester or the semester before that she was in a group project, one of the guys in the group was a lazy POS and was essentially going to tank the group. I told my fiancee to bring this up to the professor, which she did (guy didn't meet any of the group goals for having parts of the project done by X, Y and Z dates etc), come the final turn in, he turned in something alright. He plagiarized a fuckton of stuff from different articles/journals and poo poo, when he got called out on it he claimed he wrote a program in C++ that gathered data from a bunch of sources, did :something: and out came a paper, I can't remember everything because as soon as she said "he wrote a program in C++" I kind of glazed over and knew everything afterwards was going to be bullshit, and she knew it too. He "got away" with it, didn't get expelled, just got a really lovely grade on that project, he still passed the class and probably still graduated, he might even be YOUR therapist!~!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Well honestly, if 55 % is what he needs and he has 54,49999 % I don't see any good reason not to round even just the last digit, I mean come on.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SEKCobra posted:

Well honestly, if 55 % is what he needs and he has 54,49999 % I don't see any good reason not to round even just the last digit, I mean come on.

If he did poorly enough to earn a 54.999%, he maybe pissed off the teacher to the point where they felt he didn't pass the class, regardless of the grade.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Anyone looking for SysAdmin positions in the SF Bay area? We just lost one at a critical time, and we are looking to hire another in 6-ish weeks if we find a good one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What size cardboard box will be provided as housing? Will it be recycled or made from virgin wood pulp?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

What size cardboard box will be provided as housing? Will it be recycled or made from virgin wood pulp?

Recycled of course, this is California. We like to be eco-friendly now that we have pressed all the water out of the mountains.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

chin up everything sucks posted:

Recycled of course, this is California. We like to be eco-friendly now that we have pressed all the water out of the mountains.

Do you guys atleast add a flame retardant to the recycled cardboard? prob not a good thing for your workers to burn up.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Starkk posted:

Do you guys atleast add a flame retardant to the recycled cardboard? prob not a good thing for your workers to burn up.

Please, do you think the entire state would be on fire constantly if we used fire retardant?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

He raises a valid point.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Starkk posted:

How do you think they lost the last one?

Maybe you should pay more than $200k so the next guy can afford to sublet a 400sq ft apartment with 4 other people instead of living like a savage.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

How do you think they lost the last one?

Maybe you should pay more than $200k so the next guy can afford to sublet a 400sq ft apartment with 4 other people instead of living like a savage.

Hmm you make a good point.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Please, do you think the entire state would be on fire constantly if we used fire retardant?

Fire retardants contain matter, a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Or just lovely coding on the grading software's side, I scored a 7 and an 8 on something that only gives score in integer amounts and my average on it is 7.499999 because floats.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Anyone looking for SysAdmin positions in the SF Bay area? We just lost one at a critical time, and we are looking to hire another in 6-ish weeks if we find a good one.

I'd be interested if the position is right. Would you mind sending some info to username at Gmail?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'll send info to people as soon as the IT Manager gets the job description written up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I still don't get how a passing grade less than 80% on anything is a thing.

55% pass grade? Well you did just barely better than flipping a coin, so you're obviously deserving of this certification!

• Locked thread