Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

DadJokeGenerator posted:

Just a quick question: Have any backers heard anything about the Lisboa Kickstarter? It's a bad time to expect updates but after 2-3 weeks of silence and no response after the G+ survey I'm a little concerned.

I pledged for a couple of add-ons via the G+ survey and just got emailed a tracking number today, so there's that. I did have to send them a message via Kickstarter asking how to pay when it looked like that Dec. 29 payment deadline for early shipping was going to come and go with no response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's very very different from all their other stuff. It was basically a Portuguese game they licensed and threw the AQ skin on. Here's my post about it:

quote:

Masmorra - Dungeons of Arcadia - This was the hit of Gencon for me. I like Arcadia Quest quite a bit for a dice chucking dungeon crawl/pvp brawl but this game is vastly different. It's basically a Mage Knight-lite puzzly dungeon crawler. Each round you roll the 6 action die (and have 1 free reroll of any number of dice) and those dictate your actions for that round. You have the following actions:

Movement - move two spaces/flip a new tile and move to it for free. Every character also has a free step token they can use each round to guarantee they always have 2 movement points.
melee - used to attack monsters
ranged - used to attack monsters, but if you use only ranged and kill them, they don't attack back (like Mage Knight)
shield - block a damage
potion - heal
magic - change any die to another face of your choice

When you flip a tile, it might have a monster slot, which you populate by rolling a monster die and placing it in the room with you. You can't move out of that room without fighting the monster first. You also get cards (either pve or pvp oriented) that have two uses, a spell like effect or dice icons. Each character also has special slots and abilities where they can spend dice to get various benefits (like changing swords into 2 swords, etc). Killing monsters, opening chests, and disarming traps all give xp and gold. As you level up, you unlock additional abilities that let you do more with each action. Gold can be spent on more cards or on certain abilities or effects. Your character starts out pretty basic, doing a few things each turn, but later in the game you are a monster killing machine and can pull off some really cool turns if you are clever with your dice and cards, which also reminds me of the best part of Mage Knight.

There is a pve and a pvp version of the game, each with their own decks of player cards. The pvp version is a race to level 16, and the pve version is a typical "find the boss and kill it to win" design. The pvp version is very take-that. After your character finishes their turn, you act as the DM and move any active monsters towards other characters and repopulate and rooms that have monster symbols. The pve version has a deck of cards that act as the DM and cause bad things to happen each round and you have a clock mechanic, every game will last exactly 21 turns. More players means each person gets less turns but you will explore the dungeon faster and find the boss easier.

Overall it's a really good experience that reminds me of Mage Knight while being about 95% simpler. I can teach this game in 10 minutes and play the full thing in about 1:30 max. I went ahead and late pledged the Kickstarter to get all the extra content that comes with it (like 15 more characters, more monster dice, tiles, token upgrades, etc) and I'll sell the base game off when it arrives. It also comes with regular Arcadia Quest cards for every character which is a good perk.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just won a game of Patchwork 31-1

:smug:

In completely unrelated news, my GF isn't so sure about Patchwork anymore.

e. She just trashed me 40-20.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 7, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Bottom Liner posted:

Movement - move two spaces/flip a new tile and move to it for free. Every character also has a free step token they can use each round to guarantee they always have 2 movement points.

Something like that would have improved the otherwise awful Ninja Turtle game immensely. The dice determining actions is very similar, but there are timed missions where you need to move across several rooms and if you are like me you'll never roll movement.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i got an Ipad Air 2 over Christmas, what are some good IOS board game apps to play on that are free/cheap to get? Already got Galaxy Trucker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i got an Ipad Air 2 over Christmas, what are some good IOS board game apps to play on that are free/cheap to get? Already got Galaxy Trucker.

You're welcome.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dead of Winter trip report:

Played with my family which was probably a bad idea. The group ended up winning because we purposefully failed a crisis that added a shitload of helpless survivors to the colony (which suited our objective), but no one made any effort to go for their secret objective so nobody won. :)

The betrayer did very little and kinda forgot that he was meant to be working against us.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone played Adrenaline? I've heard people say that it actually feels like a FPS board game, and apparently they developed a dice-less combat system.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Steve2911 posted:

Dead of Winter

This is where you went wrong.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rumda posted:

This is where you went wrong.

It felt like it'd be really good with the right group. :shrug:

Feeling like I should've got the original rather than The Long Night though. I took the modules out but there aren't all that many objectives at all as a result.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

It felt like it'd be really good with the right group. :shrug:

The right group for dead of winter is by definition the wrong group to play board games with.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
From earlier in the thread, regarding Adrenaline

The End posted:

Great theme. Nice bits. Kinda dull and long. Always seem to end up in 5 player games though, so maybe better with 3 or 4. It might be too streamlined for its own good

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Sinteres posted:

Has anyone here played Watch the Skies? I just got an opportunity to go for free, and I'm trying to decide if it would be fun to do if I don't know anyone there and don't really have much experience with board games. It kind of feels like jumping in the deep end.

Megagames are amazing, go do it. They're a weird and unique experience which overlaps a bunch of different types of game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Gahhh The Colonists is in stock in Canada but not at the retailer I preordered from :confuoot:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Do you always pass clockwise in Sushi Go? I only ask because in 7 Wonders they have you switch directions for the second round, and it seems like that would also make sense for SG, just so Bob doesn't win every single round because Steve never ever counterdrafts him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elysium posted:

Do you always pass clockwise in Sushi Go? I only ask because in 7 Wonders they have you switch directions for the second round, and it seems like that would also make sense for SG, just so Bob doesn't win every single round because Steve never ever counterdrafts him.

In the base rules you do [always pass the same way], but swapping directions is listed as a possible variant in the rules.

E: For clarity.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 8, 2017

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, seriously? Is that something that didn't get put into the Sushi Go Party rulebook?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CommonShore posted:

I just won a game of Patchwork 31-1

Yeah, the negative points can create total stomp-sounding scenarios like that, that are probably a bit closer.

Patchwork has a decent amount going for such a simple game, the balancing act between income, board coverage, and time, and trying to decide what your opponent can have. Basically the shape of the game should seem kind of Dominiony, in that you get income early and then spend it in the late game to get as much coverage for as little time as you can.

Game day today was fairly sparsely populated, but I got to play La Granja early, then a filler round of Fabled Fruits and A Feast For Odin.

La Granja... I really like pretty much everything about the game - the multiple different ways to deliver goods, the multifunction cards, the dice drafting. But it seems like if you luck into a good synergy combination on the most variable portion of cards, the special abilities at the bottom, or if two people wind up in competition with each other because of those abilities, the game is pretty much over. Maybe a couple more plays will open things up a bit, but I don't feel too inclined to try that at the moment.

Fabled Fruits is about the simplest game possible to turn into a legacy or legacy-like - a card collection set building game. The sets you cash in are represented by action spaces made of oversized cards in piles of about 4, and when you collect a full set you take one copy of the card on the pile and deal a new one off a stacked deck, so the available actions are constantly shifting, and if you want you can just let everything stay collected and watch the game shift over multiple plays. Freideman Freise has developed a pretty good skill at locking a bunch of simple mechanics together to produce interesting interactions.

A Feast For Odin remains a great game to puzzle solo or play even with two, though I still haven't got it out for higher numbers. There's enough incidental blocking and variety in strategy to make the huge action board worth exploring and still bring as few as two people into occasional conflict. Had a pretty heavy game of occupation card play both for me and the my opponent - I was lucky enough to draw Linen Weaver when the Faroe Islands were still available, and got the flax bonus going turn 3 and the sheep turn 4. I actually made decent use of the weekly market this time out, both the 3-column fruit space and the 4-column spices and animal goods space

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Inis was everything I wanted Blood Rage to be. Played three cutthroat 4 player game in a single sitting.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I played the first two scenarios of Arkham Horror LCG, 2 player. Initial impression: I like it.

Some quick thoughts:
- It has the Netrunner action/resource economy thing, where you get 3 actions a turn and can spend them to gain a credit or draw a card, etc. Your bank persists between turns rather than flushing like in Magic.
- The locations are laid out like a little map that your character travels around and this makes the game feel much less abstract than something like LotR LCG. Made me feel more in character.
- Players being represented by a single investigator and having a deck of cards that revolve around that character also helped make this game feel a little less like an abstract puzzle than LoTR.
- Moving around the map and exploring the locations is fun. I'm curious how it holds up once the surprises are fewer, though.
- Quarterbacking didn't seem so bad for a co-op because we didn't share hidden information like cards in our hand. Less susceptible to quarterbacking than something like Eldritch Horror, for example.
- The narrative of the scenario cards and campaign is pretty neat. Decisions persist between the different scenarios. There are also different levels of rewards depending on how well you did which results in a little bit of an adaptive challenge. Instead of just cruising to the finish line, you might try to gain an extra victory point or two in order to get a better card between scenarios.
- It's a little long and fiddly for a card game, but this could be us still learning a bit and having to reference some rules.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
People who get mad at the Dice Tower game component slow-mo dropping videos should not watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsUEZ1NG7YU

It is a true tragedy that the X-Wing stuff got nailed, but the Munchkin display seemed to come out unscathed

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That gumball machine got my hopes up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure any fuffy miniatures games were destroyed, but I guarantee the solid wooden Euros are still good to go!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I crave more board games. My thirst for cardboard is insatiable, and I have money to burn.

So I am looking for suggestions on what to get next. I love games with strong theme, a nice sense of growing/improving your stuff, that play well 2-to-4 players since at the table it's usually either me+wife, or me+wife+another couple. Ideally lasting 1 to 2 hours per game.

I personally prefer medium to heavy games with little to no interaction or cooperatives, but I also like having something lighter and more interactive for playing with family, non-gamer friends, or the occasion when we want to mess with each other.

Currently owned games in rough order of how much I like them + comments:

- Agricola : one of the first "real" games I got and the most played by a mile. Very tense, prone to analysis paralysis and very long playtimes, but it's just so engrossing...
- 7 Wonders + Cities: got this only recently for Christmas, already fell in love and ordered Cities. Kind of a very light Agricola that you can bust out at parties or when you don't have 3 hours to play.
- Eldritch Horror: I love the RPG style of improving your character and equipment, and the feeling of desperation you get when you inevitably fail due to its (maybe too) high luck factor. Makes for great stories. A bit on the long side.
- Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the cursed island : got on a whim few months ago and still waiting for the right time to actually play it, but it seems right up my alley as a mix between agricola and eldritch
- Arkham Horror: I love it, everybody else doesn't because they can't wrap their head around it so it's collecting dust. I got Eldritch as a replacement and it went much smoother with everybody
- Settlers of Catan: actually I kinda hate it, it's totally random and you have to constantly deal with people and ugh I don't even know why I have it, I sure as hell didn't buy it

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 8, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

So I am looking for suggestions on what to get next. I love games with strong theme, a nice sense of growing/improving your stuff, that play well 2-to-4 players since at the table it's usually either me+wife, or me+wife+another couple. Ideally lasting 1 to 2 hours per game.

I personally prefer medium to heavy games with little to no interaction or cooperatives, but I also like having something lighter and more interactive for playing with family, non-gamer friends, or the occasion when we want to mess with each other.

Isle of Skye is a 2-5 player game that plays like Carcassonne with auctions - you draw three tiles, discard one, and set a reserve price on the other two with the same money you'll use to buy a tile from someone else. There's one round of buying and any unbought tiles are kept with their reserve prices discarded. Then you make a landscape out of them that's scored with a mix of four different randomly drawn conditions. So one game having towers in mountain ranges might be super-good, the next game having animals next to farms is important, the one after that ships and lakes are key. It plays fast, there's a lot of variety, and the progressive scoring gives a pretty good feeling of development.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TorakFade posted:

I crave more board games. My thirst for cardboard is insatiable, and I have money to burn.

- Agricola : one of the first "real" games I got and the most played by a mile. Very tense, prone to analysis paralysis and very long playtimes, but it's just so engrossing...
- 7 Wonders + Cities: got this only recently for Christmas, already fell in love and ordered Cities. Kind of a very light Agricola that you can bust out at parties or when you don't have 3 hours to play.
- Eldritch Horror: I love the RPG style of improving your character and equipment, and the feeling of desperation you get when you inevitably fail due to its (maybe too) high luck factor. Makes for great stories. A bit on the long side.
- Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the cursed island : got on a whim few months ago and still waiting for the right time to actually play it, but it seems right up my alley as a mix between agricola and eldritch
- Arkham Horror: I love it, everybody else doesn't because they can't wrap their head around it so it's collecting dust. I got Eldritch as a replacement and it went much smoother with everybody
- Settlers of Catan: actually I kinda hate it, it's totally random and you have to constantly deal with people and ugh I don't even know why I have it, I sure as hell didn't buy it

Buy Castles of Burgundy, as it fits absolutely all of your criteria, and is a fun game to boot. I'd write more, but eh, I don't care enough. Read a review or something. I recommend the game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Glazius posted:

Isle of Skye is a 2-5 player game that plays like Carcassonne with auctions - you draw three tiles, discard one, and set a reserve price on the other two with the same money you'll use to buy a tile from someone else. There's one round of buying and any unbought tiles are kept with their reserve prices discarded. Then you make a landscape out of them that's scored with a mix of four different randomly drawn conditions. So one game having towers in mountain ranges might be super-good, the next game having animals next to farms is important, the one after that ships and lakes are key. It plays fast, there's a lot of variety, and the progressive scoring gives a pretty good feeling of development.

I would like to rectify: Isle of Skye plays very little like Carcassonne :v: . Yes you have square tiles that you place on the board, and terrain has to match. But that's... about it. Everyone develops their own kingdom, so there's no physical blocking, there's no dude management involved, and there's the whole auctioning thing. I agree that it's great for a number of reasons; it plays fast, there's massive "inflation" of both scoring and prices as the game goes along so it feels exciting, and scoring tiles have a fair amount of variation. Just don't expect Carc :) .

Edit: In a similar-ish vein: Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Probably a slightly weaker game, because the goals are rather boring at times, and the price-setting is less flexible, but it's really pretty, and a perfectly decent alternative. I own it and I'm happy I do.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 8, 2017

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
galaxytrucker.jpg
https://twitter.com/cultofstylus/status/817856791144972290

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

TorakFade posted:

Descent 2 with the app makes a great coop dungeon crawler. The mechanics are easy to teach and you improve your characters over the course of the campaign. The app records your equipment and skills, so it's has almost zero setup time.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

TorakFade posted:

A Feast For Odin sounds like it is for you. It ticks all these boxes except it is not super light. Also it will work well if Agricola is your top game. You may also be interested in Uwe's other games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

:golfclap:
Let me just say you have excellent taste in board games! I love all of the games on your list, so I will just assume you have exactly the same taste as me. If you like Eldritch Horror you should check out Arkham Horror. Its a bit heavier/meatier, and take a bit more time but that is a bonus in my experience. It would be a better buy than an Eldritch Horror expansion, you can usually find the base Arkham pretty cheap. You might also enjoy Tales of Arabian Nights, its more of a story generating game than Arkham or Robinson but in a similar vein. Tales will punish you more harshly than Arkham, but that usually ends up being good in the end as the more punishing scenarios give you more "story points" toward winning the game! Avoid Betrayal at house on the hill and Pathfinder Cards at all cost. If you have the same taste as me they will seem tempting, but they are terrible!

If you like Agricola than you should check out A Feast for Odin and The Colonists, if you can find them! Avoid Caverna, its a half finished bloated mess of a game that Uwe is ashamed of. A feast for Odin is the true successor to Agricola, and it may be the best game of all time. I will also recommend Mage Knight. It doesn't seem like it at first, but its soul is really just a euro game in a pretty dress. If you like Arkham games and Agricola you will love Mage Knight, its basically the combination of the two!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 8, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I played Betrayal with my wife and her friends and it was probably one of the worst most boring experiences I've had playing a game. 90 minutes to get to the haunt and then I lost on lovely die rolls as the traitor. I wouldn't take that game for free.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wife and I played the first encounter of Mansions of Madness 2nd ed last night and had a blast. I know the replayability of these is supposed to be fairly low so I haven't decided yet on reattaching all the monsters to new bases or leaving it as-is in hopes of selling it on.

Amazing first impression, though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

TorakFade posted:

Pandemic Legacy would probably be a good fit for you. Eminent Domain or Dungeon Petz if you want something more competitive. If you're willing to drop the theme condition, maybe Dominion or Concordia.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Huxley posted:

Wife and I played the first encounter of Mansions of Madness 2nd ed last night and had a blast. I know the replayability of these is supposed to be fairly low so I haven't decided yet on reattaching all the monsters to new bases or leaving it as-is in hopes of selling it on.

Amazing first impression, though.

My wife and I were similarly impressed and had tons of fun. Miniature and base quality is pretty :effort: though but the game's solid.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TorakFade posted:

Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert. Space Alert Space Alert? Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert.

Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert! Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert. Space Alert, Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert, Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert-- Space Alert Space Alert. Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert. Space Alert Space Alert, Space Alert? Space Alert.

Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert, Space Alert. Space Alert.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Broken Loose posted:

Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert. Space Alert Space Alert? Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert.

Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert! Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert. Space Alert, Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert, Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert-- Space Alert Space Alert. Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert. Space Alert Space Alert, Space Alert? Space Alert.

Space Alert Space Alert Space Alert, Space Alert. Space Alert.

This post is both better written and more accurate than Rutibex's.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Warning: Space Alert plays best at 4-5 players, and once you're good at it, the average complete game is about 20 minutes long. But don't just take my word for it--

Aston posted:

In summary, trying to train the battlebots in IT whilst they're revolting against you doesn't work.

Spiggy posted:

Sure- we may have died pretty horribly the next three games in a row, but it was probably one of the best experiences I've had in gaming in a long time. The highlight of the session was coordinating everyone to stare out the window during the final phase to celebrate our victory, only to discover that we didn't kill that destroyer which crashed into and destroyed the ship in that same round.

Broken Loose posted:

The Sitting Duck has:
  • Guns that need to be manually powered before automatically targetting and shooting incoming threats.
  • Shields that need to be manually charged and don't start with a full charge as a cost-saving measure.
  • The above, but also for the reactors.
  • Elevators that take an entire minute to traverse a single floor and can only fit a single crew member.
  • No anti-teleport shielding of any kind.
  • Reactors that are prone to overload, overheat, sabotage, spewing corrosive slime, and more, sometimes simultaneously.
  • In fact, all systems on the ship are highly prone to malfunction, hacking, poor maintenance, breaking, or sabotage.
  • No armor of any kind to protect vital areas of the ship from damage.
  • A contractual requirement of all crew members to use safety railings when moving around despite the fact that it demonstrably halves the efficiency of everybody on board.
  • An embarrassingly small complement of armed defense robots relative to the size of the ship. (and nobody else gets weapons ever)
  • The robots are semi-sentient and unable to function autonomously to protect the ship.
  • The robots are semi-sentient and occasionally achieve sentience only to predictably rebel against the Company and all onboard employees.
  • All high-level ship functions disabled by default and requiring ripping open consoles and rewiring to do things like charge reactors from upstairs, fire rockets without manually loading the tube, or fly interceptors more than 100 meters away from the ship.
  • No basic protection against ion cannons, resulting in entire crews getting killed, knocked unconscious, and/or physically disfigured simultaneously when encountering any alien races or mercenaries that utilize plasmatic technology.
  • Floorboards and wall panels cannot actually be opened in the case of an emergency (crews are known to force a Battlebot squad to pry them open).
  • etc.

Naturally the ship has a screen saver featuring an advertisement of the company who built the goddamn thing. Of COURSE we can't disable it, that would be against company policy! It's not like you're doing anything on those missions, anyway; the ship's computer is the one recording the sector and doing all the work while you sit on your rear end. And then it makes perfect sense that the screen saver activation turns off the lights because of a glitch in the ship's computer that cannot comprehend that it would never begin a mission manned and suddenly become unmanned halfway through under the logic that "nobody postponed the screen saver therefore there is nobody on board."

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I wanna love space alert but when people lose horribly the first time they get all discouraged and don't want to hear "ok, the tutorial went ok, let's try the first mission"

Putenbrust posted:

Now the blue zone had four damage markers. And lucky me! The octopus (two life points left) did exactly two damage...

...per remaining life point. Splendid. And as the mangled bits of octopus crashed into the Sitting Duck, tearing it apart with a loud, squishing noise, sucking me and my space beer and my nodding space snob androids into the cold and unforgiving void of the vacuum, I realized it.

Hubris is a bitch.

jayquirk posted:

Psssst... you don't need clones. That's for those other explorers. You can do it, you're good enough. You'll get your levels waaay faster. Don't you want to get levels?

Fuligin posted:

I thought space alert was just a goon meme until I finally got to play it with friends

everyone play space alert

Casnorf posted:

I got Space Alert the other week and even with all the general good feelings and hype surrounding it, I feel like it actually exceeded expectations. I absolutely cannot wait to play again.

Sloober posted:

It's all fun and games until your captain has a massive brain fart and accomplishes exactly zero of what he thought he was putting cards down for. (It's me, i'm the bad captain and instead of activating the crewbots and sealing the fissure in the hull I road the center lift up and down several times and looked out the window a couple times)

homullus posted:

Beat the two tutorial missions, then on the first simulation mission, communications officer (and the rest of us) learned that he should read the threat cards before firing the rockets twice on the major and minor asteroids converging on the ship. As chaotic as the "live" phase is, people were surprised at how tense the resolution phase felt.

We had to stop because our host's 5-year-old was getting freaked out by the robot voice. Kind of wish they'd gone with a irrationally cheerful female computer voice. The game was definitely worth it!

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Got my friends together to play my first couple of rounds of space alert yesterday.

I figured the constant gushing was hyperbole.

It's not. We died on our simulated mission, because we had a meticulous, beautiful plan that was completely thrown into disarray when our communications officer fired at a threat one turn before it appeared, while our captain and first mate crashed into each other on the way to the gravolift.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Space Alert - just...wow
Barely skated through the tutorial - jumped to the first simulation - got owned horribly in the first two - but we crushed the third (16 points!)
Then our captain spent the entire first Advanced Sim going up and down the elevator and firing empty lasers at no targets

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Nothing against Space Alert, but it matches one out of four criteria TorakFade mentioned. It's not a good suggestion.

TorakFade posted:

Look into The Voyages of Marco Polo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

After not paying close attention for more than a year, it's weird coming back and finding Quinns obsessed with Infinity, Joel Eddy with a terminal Silver Tower/Frostgrave/Guildball and now Sigmar addiction, Michael Barnes upgrading his Silver Tower and Gorechosen thing to full blown 4 Age of Sigmar army obsession, Rab from RPS writing 3 part articles about Silver Tower, Kieron Gillen running a warhammer blog, etc. 2015/2016 seems to have driven a few folks to painting miniature mans.

As a bystander, I know the grogs/goons hate Games Workshop and Age of Sigmar, but their latest management change and focus on board games seems to have pulled some board gaming people into the hobby (Quinns was probably X-wing, instead. Probably played a part elsewhere, too).