Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

not really seeing it

Fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue, god that's the most blatant D&D party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Star Man posted:

I'm indifferent to the 2016 Commander decks being four-color decks, but I imagine that all I'd do if I played the format is ask myself why I'm not just playing a five-color commander instead. It seems like the legendary creatures with the partner ability are a concession by Wizards that four-color cards are just unwieldy.

Maro has talked about this before and definitely noted that because there's no guild/shard/clan identity, and because a 4 color card must, by necessity, be incredibly hard to cast, they always end up being really weird designs because they have to hit 4 points while also having a reason not to be the fifth color.

There's just not enough design space without an identity to tie it to and I can't imagine ever wanting to somehow work an "everything but aggro" or whatever trapezoid into standard

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Now here's a cost reduction mechanic we hope you'll really like.

That's a weird rear end looking mana cost.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Entropic posted:

That's a weird rear end looking mana cost.

It's ten grand, baby!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue, god that's the most blatant D&D party.

I meant I don't see how the legends in this set are like legends, my bad

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Death Bot posted:

Maro has talked about this before and definitely noted that because there's no guild/shard/clan identity, and because a 4 color card must, by necessity, be incredibly hard to cast, they always end up being really weird designs because they have to hit 4 points while also having a reason not to be the fifth color.

There's just not enough design space without an identity to tie it to and I can't imagine ever wanting to somehow work an "everything but aggro" or whatever trapezoid into standard

I like Ink-Treader Nephilim because instead of trying to be four colors it's trying to be two guilds: using Izzet means (copying spells) to achieve Selesnya ends (beefing up your army of little creatures). That seems a lot more elegant than that spoiled GWUB that gets a bunch of keywords that kinda sorta map to its colors (it's already black but apparently being green is what gives it deathtouch).

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Blurry, but plausible.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ok, fine. Point still applies. That simple line of text that's instantly grokkable makes the rules poo poo themselves.

reminder that the reason they don't just make grokkable versions of cards is because MTGO works by parsing the text on cards and attempts to come up with the equivalent computer version from that

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't believe that.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

dragon enthusiast posted:

reminder that the reason they don't just make grokkable versions of cards is because MTGO works by parsing the text on cards and attempts to come up with the equivalent computer version from that

Just because you put "reminder that" before something doesn't make it true.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MTGO doesn't parse the text on cards at all. Each card's effect is hard-coded into MTGO separately, which is why different printings of the same card will do drastically different things sometimes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yeah, the reason easily grokkable things don't always work is because the rules have to be complete and consistently applied, because if you have to make a ton of one-time-only exceptions it all becomes a mess. The price is the closing of some very narrow windows of design like the fliers/power thing.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Blurry, but plausible.

The not-blue one says:

Name
Vigilance, haste
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a player.
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to the chosen player.
3/4, I think.

The not-green one says:

When ~ enters the battlefield, create (?) (?) blue Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying.
1, Sacrifice an artifact: Choose 1:
- I don't know
- Target creature gains (?) until end of turn
- You gain (?) life.

The not-white one is a 5/4 with Trample and is a Djinn Wizard. It does something when it deals combat damage to a player, but I can't make out what it is.It has a shitload of reminder text and has the name Maelstrom in his name so maybe gives all your spells Cascade until end of turn or something?

The not-black one says:

"at the beginning of your end step, draw a card. Each player may put a land card from his or her hand onto the battlefield." There's more but I can't make it out.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 24, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lets Pickle posted:

The not-blue one says:

Name
Vigilance, haste
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to the chosen player.
3/4, I think.

gently caress that guy in particular.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Lets Pickle posted:

The not-blue one says:

Name
Vigilance, haste
3/4, I think.

[name] the Unyielding looks like.

I could also spend time squinting at most of these and try to context them out.

Non-White: Trample, Combat Damage to Player Trigger
Non-Green: ETB Trigger dealing with Artifact Creatures, Sac an Artifcat Ability
Non Black: EOT Trigger (Your Turn)

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 24, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lets Pickle posted:

The not-blue one says:

Name
Vigilance, haste
3/4, I think.

The not-green one says:

When ~ enters the battlefield, create (?) (?) blue Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying.
1, Sacrifice an artifact: Choose 1:
- I don't know
- Target creature gains (?) until end of turn
- You gain (?) life.

Just to make sure I've got things straight, if you've got a damage doubler, this would double twice, right? Once when you hit the guy, and then again when it deals damage to the chosen player?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Quote is not edit

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just to make sure I've got things straight, if you've got a damage doubler, this would double twice, right? Once when you hit the guy, and then again when it deals damage to the chosen player?

Correct, a 1/1 would end up dealing a total of 6 damage.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

^: Wait, 6? Wouldn't it be 1 (doubled) + 1 (doubled) for the trigger? I think he meant with Furnace or Twin Gods out.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Add double strike and well... :getin:

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 24, 2016

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Evil Badman posted:

^: Wait, 6? Wouldn't it be 1 (doubled) + 1 (doubled) for the trigger? I think he meant with Furnace or Twin Gods out.

Add double strike and well... :getin:

It would be 1 doubled to 2, then the ability would see you dealt 2 damage and deal 2 doubled to 4. For a total of 6.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ask Me For Warez posted:

It would be 1 doubled to 2, then the ability would see you dealt 2 damage and deal 2 doubled to 4. For a total of 6.

Oh right. Oh god.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

MTGO doesn't parse the text on cards at all. Each card's effect is hard-coded into MTGO separately, which is why different printings of the same card will do drastically different things sometimes.

That's somehow worse than what I proposed on the basis of technical merit

Seriously though did I completely misremember a job opening for the MTGO team that wanted people who could build natural language parsers

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Evil Badman posted:

Oh right. Oh god.

Which means him + a damage doubling effect = 18 commander damage.

Seems fine.

I'm a loving idiot who doesn't know the rules to Magic the Gathering

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

That's somehow worse than what I proposed on the basis of technical merit

Seriously though did I completely misremember a job opening for the MTGO team that wanted people who could build natural language parsers

Yes they had that. Because they don't do any of it atm, and knowing their practices not for like a decade yet.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Blurry, but plausible.

The not-black one are the Guardians of Meletis.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A big flaming stink posted:

Is this the part where I quote MTGS like LoB w/r/t those two being gay?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The not-green one looks to be from Esper, because its a legendary artifact creature and is colored.

The Guardians of Meletis are great, though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Is this the part where I quote MTGS like LoB w/r/t those two being gay?

I don't know, I just thought it was cool we got explicitly queer characters in this game, even if they're outside of the main plotline.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That would be pretty sweet.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

The not-green one looks to be from Esper, because its a legendary artifact creature and is colored.

The Guardians of Meletis are great, though.

pretty sure it has ETB put ? thopters into play and 1, sac an artifact choose one: "three things I can't read."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Guardians of Metis sounds pretty lovely

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sigma-X posted:

Guardians of Metis sounds pretty lovely

Ummm isn't this the name of like a 0/5 wall from 2-3 blocks ago?

edit: yeah it is http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373605

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
Not White: Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder
Not Blue: Saskia the Unyielding
Not Black: Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis
Not Green: Breya, Etherium Shaper

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

Yes, the wall is a current-day statue of the two in Theros. That's why it's a wall. The legendary is the actual two dudes back when they were alive.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I take back all previous criticism, best set ever

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Creature - Ox Elemental

Haste

At the beginning of the end step of each player, if no creature attacked this turn, put a fury counter on ~. Then ~ deals damage to that player equal to the number of fury counters on it.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 25, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

80s James Hetfield posted:

edit: yeah it is http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373605

No, that's guardians of meletis, which is completely different from my apparently overly obscure pun.

Where my elemental bois at?

Holla atchu elemental bois

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Boi is a great creature type.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
This is Metis you noobs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=559

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Now we just need a card with the creature type Sk8er.

• Locked thread