Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Rello posted:

Hey, I am going to be taking a Canadian equivalent of the MSF (http://www.canmocycle.ca/content_fr...=rider_training) in the summer most likely, however the course requires us to bring all the gear (Applicants must provide their own street legal helmet, leather gloves, leather or jean jacket, pants and above the ankle footwear. Note: running shoes are NOT acceptable.).

This means i have to buy it all, but I am a little bit reluctant to do this as I don't want to drop $410(course cost) + $300~ on something i might not pursue. Is there anyway I can get a full set of gear on the cheap somewhere? (sub $150, used is fine).

Thanks.

Once you take the course, you will pursue it. Also if you're a big boy (or girl) already it wouldn't hurt to have it around for future use, might get an itch, ya' know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Rontalvos posted:

:siren: Avoid buying from https://www.motorcycles508.com if you can. :siren:

I hope this jacket is as awesome as everybody says it is or I put out all this effort for nothing.

(I typed this on my cell phone so sorry if it's formatted weird or something)

It really is awesome and I hope you find one. Fit is perfect for me and I'm 5'6" and 150lbs. It's like a drat glove and comfy as hell. Working great so far in the Buffalo summers. I've had it out in 88 deg weather and it's comfortable when moving.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

SlightlyMadman posted:

Would paratrooper boots offer decent ankle protection? Maybe with some sort of a brace also worn inside the boot? I'd think twisting an ankle while hitting the ground would have been a design concern for them as well.

Have you ever worn "paratrooper" boots? They're just normal boots with a different looking toe and sole. Matterhorn was the popular brand when I was in the Army.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

frozenphil posted:

Have you ever worn "paratrooper" boots? They're just normal boots with a different looking toe and sole. Matterhorn was the popular brand when I was in the Army.

Yeah, I have a pair, which is why I ask. They are just "normal" boots true, but they go up to your calf and lace tight, which would seem to protect the ankle from twisting a fair amount. I wouldn't have normally even considered it, but a couple pages ago it seemed like people were saying that plates and gew-gaws don't matter so much as long as the boots go above the ankle.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

SlightlyMadman posted:

...seemed like people were saying that plates and gew-gaws don't matter so much as long as the boots go above the ankle.

They didn't know what they were talking about; all the fancy looking plastic plates are what keep your bones from exploding if you decide to kick the ground several times whilst crashing. A normal pair of boots aren't going to absorb a lot of the energy, if any at all, which means it's all going right to your foot.

In short, they won't work nearly as well as a comparably-sized riding boot.

edit: A good test is having a friend slam a car door on your booted foot, then it'll be painfully obvious how well the armor works :laugh:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Cool, thanks for clearing that up then. I have no problem getting "proper" boots, I just figured if there was a chance one of the dozen pairs I already own would do the trick, then that would save me a little closet space.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

They didn't know what they were talking about; all the fancy looking plastic plates are what keep your bones from exploding if you decide to kick the ground several times whilst crashing. A normal pair of boots aren't going to absorb a lot of the energy, if any at all, which means it's all going right to your foot.

In short, they won't work nearly as well as a comparably-sized riding boot.

edit: A good test is having a friend slam a car door on your booted foot, then it'll be painfully obvious how well the armor works :laugh:

Just to expand on this:

I had a crash at the track, at around 90 miles an hour, on corner exit of one of the fastest corners at buttonwillow. I ran wide, dumped into the dirt, the front dug in, I went headfirst through the windshield. I ended up doing a 90mph headslide:

I then tumbled and slammed my feet directly into the ground, right heel first.

The heel of the boot was completely shattered all the way around, I blasted the rivet out of the ankle pivot, but I was able to walk and completed my first race 2 hours later with a borrowed helmet and after duct taping my leathers back together. It hurt to walk for a few days, but a little bit of plastic and some padding helped me walk away from a very fast crash with essentially no injuries.

So yeah, proper riding boots might be expensive, but they're worth it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Wow, I don't expect to be going 90 any time soon, but that's drat impressive. I'm liking the SIDI Way Rain and Sport Rain boots, as the price isn't bad and they don't look too ridiculous, but they seem to have all the protection where it matters (it's just internal instead of external).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Wow, I don't expect to be going 90 any time soon, but that's drat impressive. I'm liking the SIDI Way Rain and Sport Rain boots, as the price isn't bad and they don't look too ridiculous, but they seem to have all the protection where it matters (it's just internal instead of external).

I actually should have mentioned this as well:

My finacee got in an accident when someone pulled in front of her from a side street and then stopped. Her foot got hooked under the bumper of the car that pulled in front of her, and it ripped a ~2.5 inch gash in her boot, straight down to the armor, which it gouged the hell out of. She also ripped the bumper completely off the car.

The impact highsided her off the bike, but thanks to her gear and some luck, she only was on crutches for a day or 2 while her knee recovered and she was basically mostly fine overall. She's got some residual swelling in her knee now, years later, but she's fine. I'm pretty sure she would have been looking at a shattered kneecap if not for the knee armor in her gear. The EMTs and doctors were amazed that she was walking.

Track riding has higher speeds but a hell of a lot less to hit. Armor's even more important on the street than it is on the track...

Pics:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 4, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

She also ripped the bumper completely off the car.

This is my favorite piece of anecdotal evidence of the usefulness of big honkin boots whenever someone asks me why I bother to wear them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

This is my favorite piece of anecdotal evidence of the usefulness of big honkin boots whenever someone asks me why I bother to wear them.

The thought of the edge of the bumper going into her foot, given the way it hosed up her boot, still gives me the creeps.

And yeah, that's definitely the :hellyeah: part of the story. :v:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Wow, yeah it's not so much that I was wondering if there's any danger, but rather wondering if big honkin' boots could actually protect you or just made you feel safer. That's pretty drat amazing and it sounds like her boots kept her out of a wheelchair.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Wow, yeah it's not so much that I was wondering if there's any danger, but rather wondering if big honkin' boots could actually protect you or just made you feel safer. That's pretty drat amazing and it sounds like her boots kept her out of a wheelchair.

Well, as you can see...I'm pretty sold on them. They have definitely kept me and those I know from serious injury. My friend dropped our 75 CB200 on his ankle when he fell over learning to ride, thankfully he was wearing my old A* SMX-Pluses, and he just was annoyed and uninjured. He was only doing a few MPH, but the boot's outer casing was pretty scraped up and it definitely saved him some grief there, considering that his foot was jammed between the bike and the ground while it slid along for a foot or 2.

This shouldn't be taken as boots will save you from any serious injury in crashes...some luck goes a long ways in accidents. But gear will always make a crash better. Sometimes making a crash better means the difference between a wheelchair and walking away, sometimes it means you don't have roadrash on your broken ankle. Either way, it's a win.

So many :words:, sorry.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

My finacee
If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right.

My fiancée. The magic is in the Alt key and the numeric keypad. The code is ALT+0233

Also, I'm now sold on getting some MoonBoots for myself as soon as possible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right.

My fiancée. The magic is in the Alt key and the numeric keypad. The code is ALT+0233

Also, I'm now sold on getting some MoonBoots for myself as soon as possible.

S'alright, she knew she was marrying a dumbass when she agreed to it. :v:

The only other alt code I know is ™. Which is handy.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

S'alright, she knew she was marrying a dumbass when she agreed to it. :v:

The only other alt code I know is ™. Which is handy.

The degree symbol (°) is alt 0176. You'll use it more than you think now that you know what it is.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ok well I stand loving corrected! Power Ranger Boots GO!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

[concerning me not gaining weight] Just you wait, bucko it will catch up with you one day.
I dunno, my Dad, who I'm a clone of, is pushing 60 and only has a minor beer belly, and has proven a few times he can lose it in about a week if he just bothers to stop eating all the random delicious baked goods hanging around the bakery he works at.

Tons of people posted:

Great gear suggestions
drat, thanks all! :cheers: I dig this forum. A lot.

frozenphil posted:

Check out Tilt Customs. They will make you a custom sized leather suit for $450. The reviews seem pretty favorable.
:tviv: Yeah. Definitely going to have to check that out. drat that's like 1/3 what most places are charging.

frozenphil posted:

The degree symbol (°) is alt 0176. You'll use it more than you think now that you know what it is.
One thing I dig about Macs is that all that poo poo is just alt+key. Makes more sense than that whole crazy alt code crap (though crazy unicode stuff is fun): ☭ etc.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Boat posted:

I dunno, my Dad, who I'm a clone of, is pushing 60 and only has a minor beer belly, and has proven a few times he can lose it in about a week if he just bothers to stop eating all the random delicious baked goods hanging around the bakery he works at.

drat, thanks all! :cheers: I dig this forum. A lot.

:tviv: Yeah. Definitely going to have to check that out. drat that's like 1/3 what most places are charging.

One thing I dig about Macs is that all that poo poo is just alt+key. Makes more sense than that whole crazy alt code crap (though crazy unicode stuff is fun): ☭ etc.

If you ever saw my father, when he was alive, you would see that how your father ends up doesn't necessarily mean you'll end up the same way. My dad was a a big Russian bear, he and I could pass for identical twins in our 20's. Now I'm in my mid 30's and the resemblance is gone. Knowing Doc Zero and his dad, the same goes for him.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
It's always nice to read this thread and the many, many examples of why gear is important. Of the three or four guys at work who ride, I'm the only one who wears anything more than a helmet. I take plenty of power ranger jokes on a daily basis, but I'm more concerned with my well-being in an accident than my pride.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
We'd be lying to ourselves if we denied that having an excuse to wear all sorts of crazy power-ranger outfits isn't one of the best parts of motorcycleing.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
True enough! Couple pages ago I mentioned I bought some A* SMX Plus boots and was interested in stopping the infernal squeaking. Now I love that aspect of these boots because they drive my coworkers crazy. I like to sneak into their cubicles and slowly shift my weight while they're on the phone.

Today I rode out to a Subway for lunch. There was a very young kid eating with his mom. I think he thought he was looking at Iron Man stopping for a sandwich.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, are there any boots that provide good armor and protection but don't have a bunch of logos and such on them?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

So, are there any boots that provide good armor and protection but don't have a bunch of logos and such on them?
No. As I have been very forcefully told, Sidi logos and shiny plastic are vital to protection in a crash.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Armyman25 posted:

choice of boot + a little work with a dremel.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've been looking at the SIDI Way Rain and Sport Rain boots and they aren't too logo-full or even plastic-looking, as their armor appears to be mostly internal.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Am I insane for wearing full vintage Fieldsheer leathers (which are bright red) every day I ride, including commuting to work? Because it loving rules.

:hellyeah:

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

AncientTV posted:

choice of boot + a little work with a dremel.

Also, Sharpies and paint pens are good for blacking out or blending in shiny bits and logos.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MourningGlory posted:

Also, Sharpies and paint pens are good for blacking out or blending in shiny bits and logos.

So is getting the gently caress over it. The shiny plastic bits are there for a reason.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

No. As I have been very forcefully told, Sidi logos and shiny plastic are vital to protection in a crash.

Some of the stuff is pointless flash, some of it is important. Most of the really important stuff is internal, but it depends on the individual boot as to if you're alright to remove parts or not...some of them are just sliders to prevent you destroying your boots in a single accident.

As to boots that don't have a lot of crap on the outside, daytonas are the only ones I've found that don't have a bunch of random poo poo...but the only ones that offer good protection, IMO, are their top of the line boots, which are stupid expensive.

I didn't like the Sidi boots I tried because the plastic heel protection stuff would always catch on the heel guards of my rearsets. My A*s had larger pieces with fewer overall edges to catch and worked a little better.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 7, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So is getting the gently caress over it. The shiny plastic bits are there for a reason.

I was talking more the raised logos that are plastered on some boot panels.

edit: Not that it's a big deal to me, just a suggestion for others.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MourningGlory posted:

Could you rhino line a pair of boots?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Probably. Red Wing makes this stuff called toe armor that looks exactly like rhino lining that you put on boots, but I don't know if they are much different to make it stick to shoes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
God dammit. Why did you bring that up?
I have an entire can of bedliner in my garage :negative:

edit: they'd match my bike :v:

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart
None of the gear I ordered on 6/2 from Motorcycle Closeouts and Motorcycle Superstore shipped yet, despite both saying ships same / next day. I'm worried the gear isn't going to arrive before I leave for vacation on 6/16. I emailed Motorcycle Superstore on Friday of last week but got no response. Is it worth calling about or do they always take this long?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lordofokra posted:

None of the gear I ordered on 6/2 from Motorcycle Closeouts and Motorcycle Superstore shipped yet, despite both saying ships same / next day. I'm worried the gear isn't going to arrive before I leave for vacation on 6/16. I emailed Motorcycle Superstore on Friday of last week but got no response. Is it worth calling about or do they always take this long?

I'd call them, they've usually shipped pretty fast when I've ordered from Motorcycle Superstore.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

lordofokra posted:

I'm having similar trouble from a Motorcycle Superstore order right now, I had to call them last week in order to get them to send out one order and the second order hasn't shipped yet. Grrr the only reason I ordered from them was that they claimed that they had both items in stock. Next time I'll order from Revzilla instead.

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart
Just sat on hold for 25 minutes, girl picked up and I started talking and then got hung up on. lovely.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

lordofokra posted:

Just sat on hold for 25 minutes, girl picked up and I started talking and then got hung up on. lovely.

Are you my clone? Same exact thing happened to me on Fri. Second call seemed to get things sorted out, was on hold after they picked up for about 5 mins though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

PlasticSun posted:

I'm having similar trouble from a Motorcycle Superstore order right now, I had to call them last week in order to get them to send out one order and the second order hasn't shipped yet. Grrr the only reason I ordered from them was that they claimed that they had both items in stock. Next time I'll order from Revzilla instead.

no one on the internet actually has anything technically in stock unless they have an actual storefront. Everything is shipped from supplier warehouses to their warehouse when you order it, then its shipped to you. Sometimes its even just dropshipped, which is why you'l get like 4 boxes of stuff from a single order