Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

mechacop posted:

How often are new chapters out? Guts just got the armour.

We just got our first chapter in over a year. Should be another one out soon though.

Last few years it's been approximately monthly for a string and then hiatus. Last one was longer than normal because he did a brief side manga that was weird but had a guy wrestling a postapocalyptic tardigrade so it wasn't all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
The last year Miura worked solely on Berserk, we still only got like 6 or 7 total chapters. Then he took a year off. Then he did a side project. Basically, never expect new Berserk, and when you do get it be pleasantly surprised.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
A friend asked me out of nowhere if I've seen the Berserk anime. Seems like he got hooked and wants to get started on the manga, but he's not sure from which chapter he should start; and me neither, I only had a brief look but I can't find the point where the series ended in the manga. Any ideas?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The start. The anime removes some plot details that are necessary going forward.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mango Polo posted:

A friend asked me out of nowhere if I've seen the Berserk anime. Seems like he got hooked and wants to get started on the manga, but he's not sure from which chapter he should start; and me neither, I only had a brief look but I can't find the point where the series ended in the manga. Any ideas?

Start from the beginning, but when the flashback starts you can skip ahead to chapter 88, if you really want to. But at this point every chapter of Berserk is a precious resource, so you should really read all of them. The anime leaves out some things, even in the Golden Age arc.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Mango Polo posted:

I started at chapter 80 after watching the manga. Starts in the middle of the eclipse so is a perfect jumping off point. I don't feel like I really missed anything except the introduction of Puck. I'm around Ch. 250 and loving it.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
You would be denying yourself some of the best that berserk has if you skip the golden age stuff.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Golden Age is the part of Berserk I think people should really read most.

edit: I know nothing about the anime, but if it really covers that whole segment that's probably gonna be a slog to reexperience.

If he's hoping for some sense of closure after the anime, though, just punch him in the face until his mind is erased.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Berserk arcs only ever improve from one to the next with the exception of Golden Age-> Lost Children. Despite this, Golden Age is still some of the best manga you're ever going to read.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Rodyle posted:

Berserk arcs only ever improve from one to the next with the exception of Golden Age-> Lost Children. Despite this, Golden Age is still some of the best manga you're ever going to read.

How loving good was that troll arc tho

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
So Griffith reincarnated after ascending to Femto, so does that mean Femto is still around? Does this mean Femto and reincarnated Griffith are two separate people now? Or can he change between the two?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mechacop posted:

So Griffith reincarnated after ascending to Femto, so does that mean Femto is still around? Does this mean Femto and reincarnated Griffith are two separate people now? Or can he change between the two?

Griffith is Femto and Femto is Griffith. There's only one, he's just been incarnated as a physical being again. The God Hand can't incarnate at will, that's why the whole thing at the Tower of Conviction needed to happen for Femto to assume physical form again.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Begemot posted:

Griffith is Femto and Femto is Griffith. There's only one, he's just been incarnated as a physical being again. The God Hand can't incarnate at will, that's why the whole thing at the Tower of Conviction needed to happen for Femto to assume physical form again.

But Griffith used Guts and Casca's kid as a vessel, right? So doesn't that make everything else inconsequential?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mechacop posted:

But Griffith used Guts and Casca's kid as a vessel, right? So doesn't that make everything else inconsequential?

Well he also needed the behelit apostle. Whether the rest of the craziness was strictly necessary or just because the God Hand like to travel in style is open to interpretation.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

mechacop posted:

Yeah it didn't sit right with me either. Femto basically did nothing after the Eclipse, he just shows up at the end of Black Swordsman to piss off Guts. It stinks of bad writing, which is a shame since the rest of the story holds up well so far.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
Why did Griffith reincarnate anyways? Isn't being Femto inherently cooler?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mechacop posted:

Griffith is incredibly vain and self-obsessed - why wouldn't he want to be "himself" again? It's why his disempowerment and desecration made him willing to sacrifice literally everyone who ever trusted him in order to regain his glory.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
Oh, I understand that. I guess I just hope that Femto will make a glorious, badass return. This time with his cock in his pants, hopefully.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Femto choosing to incarnate as Griffith is kind of the basis of his entire character. He may be an eldritch god-demon far removed from the struggles of mortals, but he still dreams of being a regular (well, relatively speaking) ol' king. Everything is a means to that end, as far as we can understand his motives.

Edit: He has a physical form now, but he's hardly human. I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing the Femto getup again.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 16, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mechacop posted:

His great vain desire is to rule a kingdom, namely Midland. Now that he has all of fate backing him, why not just follow his base desire?

All of the Godhand embody certain sins or essences of negative emotion. The desire for some essence of the human condition taken to an inhuman extreme, casting off all that once cared about. Griffith is ambition embodied. For the sake of his ambition he sacrificed everyone he knew and cared about. He is still Femto, just Femto incarnated and capable of "playing" in the mortal realm.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

mechacop posted:

To fulfill his dream of having his own kingdom.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Griffith became his Femto form recently when he encountered Ganishka when the two of them were alone. He can transform back at any time. He's just appearing in his old form because it works with his plan.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

He had himself reincarnated so he could actually interact with the mortal world. Remember that prior to the fusion of the mortal and spiritual planes, the Godhand were too powerful to appear except for a few specific instances.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There would have been no point in Griffith sacrificing everyone he cared about if he had remained incorporeal. A super powerful spiritual entity that can't directly affect the mortal plane is no more capable of making a kingdom than a disgraced cripple.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Serious Frolicking posted:

There would have been no point in Griffith sacrificing everyone he cared about if he had remained incorporeal. A super powerful spiritual entity that can't directly affect the mortal plane is no more capable of making a kingdom than a disgraced cripple.
Griffith would have been dead without the sacrifice. His behelit made him a demon and the prince of demons. The Egg behelit made him human again. Ganishka made Griffith/Femeto's demon world overlap the human world, thus Griffith/Femto became the prince of both. Schemes within schemes.

edit: Caska's child and Femto kind of swapped places. Griffith came back as a human, the child went fully into the spirit realm. They are connected.

temple fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 16, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I just assumed Griffith can morph in the same way the count at the start of the Black Swordsman arc was able to.
People are more likely to trust and follow a human looking figure over a winged demon.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Kind of on this same line of questions but when Skull KNight got tricked and unleashed all the fantasy creatures we saw the other God Hand members (maybe minus Void?) and I took from that that they had also been made manifest. Was I wrong and it was just showing them for the sake of cool imagery/something else or are they out to party somewhere?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

All the fantasy creatures were unleashed because the ethereal and mortal planes were fused. Thus anything from the ethereal plane, even the Godhand, are now able to exist in the mortal plane.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

Popo posted:

Kind of on this same line of questions but when Skull KNight got tricked and unleashed all the fantasy creatures we saw the other God Hand members (maybe minus Void?) and I took from that that they had also been made manifest. Was I wrong and it was just showing them for the sake of cool imagery/something else or are they out to party somewhere?

For Void they just showed a full page of his head-brain.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
So, just got to the part where they made it out to sea, and Griffith is engaged to the princess. I'm shocked. Also, pirates? Really?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like the pirates a lot and hope they get their own volume cover

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

All the fantasy creatures were unleashed because the ethereal and mortal planes were fused. Thus anything from the ethereal plane, even the Godhand, are now able to exist in the mortal plane.

I don't think so. The godhand inhabit a plane that is further away than the one that the trolls and whatnot are from. They are closer, that's for sure, and can do stuff like using guts to take a physical form for a while but they don't really exist in the mortal plane.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

kittenchops posted:

For Void they just showed a full page of his head-brain.

Because the rest of the picture was too horrible, even for Miura, to draw.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just got to the part where they're fighting their way to the boat and those pirates rule. The rest of the manga has so much great unique (or at least uncommon) imagery, and then boom that stereotypical pirate captain who looks like he's about to say "yarr my hearties" whenever he's on the page. I love him.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Let's see how much you like that pirate after 30 or so issues of him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The pirate is great when you don't have to wait a year for each chapter.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PiedPiper posted:

Because the rest of the picture was too horrible, even for Miura, to draw.
Completely true. Miura must have been on a bad trip when he drew Void. He looks like a mutilated corpse, with the skin around the mouth tied back and the eyes sewn shut.
Could easily be mistaken for a Cenobite.

At least Slan is just a naked woman with bat wings.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Say Nothing posted:

Completely true. Miura must have been on a bad trip when he drew Void. He looks like a mutilated corpse, with the skin around the mouth tied back and the eyes sewn shut.
Could easily be mistaken for a Cenobite.

At least Slan is just a naked woman with bat wings.

Because he is directly inspired by Cenobites.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They all are, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Miura is a Clive Barker fan. I should have guessed.
http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/God_Hand