Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Take offs are fine just don't be an idiot on them. I ran my track take offs for years on the street - just like any other tire you gotta respect them for what traction they provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Z3n posted:

Take offs are fine just don't be an idiot on them. I ran my track take offs for years on the street - just like any other tire you gotta respect them for what traction they provide.

Take offs are pretty amazing in the right conditions. Don't be stupid and ride your slicks in the rain, etc...

The down side comes when you stop at the top of the mountain at one of those overlooks and forget how fast tires cool off.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Well, I had a bit of a crash this morning on my way to work. I was pulling out of my parking garage and must have grabbed a bit too much throttle at about 15mph. Fell really hard and knocked the wind right out of me. I Just got back from the urgent care and no broken ribs just badly bruised, and really, really hurts. I Was wearing all of my gear and it got rashed up a bit but should be fine except for the helmet which is hosed.

Wondering if I should call insurance or not? I do have full coverage and I wonder if they will replace my gear and helmet, and might be nice to get new fairings.

Bike still runs - fairings are scratched to poo poo, some bolts got ground down, foot peg snapped, brake lever bent, frame slider snapped right off, but from what I can tell no mechanical damage.

Probably not going to be able to ride for a week or two, but it's getting loving cold now anyways and my bike is about to hit 26k for valve adjustment.

I guess it's a good excuse to finally get a really good, quiet helmet. My Bell Vortex was loud as gently caress!

http://imgur.com/a/zQRhb

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sucks dude, sorry to hear you got so dinged up for such a minor accident.

Afaik gear cover is usually explicitly extra or separate to vehicle insurance, at least in the UK. If it wasn't mentioned as a perk of your cover, you probably don't have it.

Unless your fairings are super expensive (or if you have an unnaturally low excess) they'll probably come in at less than your excess, making a claim not worth it.

Definitely call your insurance company anyway to ask them these questions though, even if you don't end up making a claim. Unless they're complete bastards they should be able to let you know exactly what you're covered for, what you can claim, and what a claim will do to your premiums (and just asking hypotheticals won't hurt you any).

Also what the heck was your footpeg made of, cheese? 15mph topple and it's almost completely gone :psyduck:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 27, 2015

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I should grab pics of the pavement, it actually slid pretty far. I probably won't bother with insurance since I can get a lever, footpeg, and even a new helmet for not much more than the deductible would be. It's an older bike so I can deal with some cosmetic issues - if I feel like it I can always ebay some new fairings for ~$500 or so, it looks like they come in every possible color too.

Should I go OEM levers or is there any advantage to those shorty CNC ones?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Voltage posted:

I should grab pics of the pavement, it actually slid pretty far. I probably won't bother with insurance since I can get a lever, footpeg, and even a new helmet for not much more than the deductible would be. It's an older bike so I can deal with some cosmetic issues - if I feel like it I can always ebay some new fairings for ~$500 or so, it looks like they come in every possible color too.

I liked the shorty myself, felt more comfortable. If you're curious about them there's cheap Chinese pairs on eBay for like :20bux: to give them a shot.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Voltage posted:

I like the shorties. I'd recommend against getting the foldable ones, though. Adjustable is a nice option, especially if you'll be wearing differing thicknesses of gloves. I ride all year, so I have wet/cold gloves and hot/dry gloves, and the thickness of them makes having the adjustable lever really handy.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Voltage posted:

I have full-length CNC levers on my new bike, they look and feel a lot better than stock.

Shorties won't snap when you drop the bike and will probably prevent you from grabbing your brakes too hard in an emergency I guess?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I hate shorties, but I will never own something without folding levers again. The CRGs on the GSXR went through at least 3 crashes (1 before me, 1 with me, and 1 after me) and are fine albeit rashed. I crash my YZ450F at least three times a weekend and the levers just fold right up.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 28, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Voltage posted:

I've used shorty levers on the DRZ for the past 8kmi just so that they don't hit my handguards. That's it. Honestly, they're a bit weird and I liked the full length ones better. They kind of remind me of gimpy little bicycle brakes too.

I keep OEM levers on my FZ6 because they're comfortable and I can't justify $100+ for fancy/cool looking folding levers.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 28, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I swear someone here said foldables were akin to Satan or something. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

I hate shorties,
:hf: longie bros

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You should report that, because they'll probably total it and you'll make about 1500 bucks if you have a 1k deductible, and can buy it back and have a salvage bike plus some cash. At least talk to them about it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Deductible is only $250 - it definitely needs all new fairings, peg, engine/timing cover and brake lever to be perfect again.

Just worried my premium will skyrocket if I submit a claim.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Only one way to find out and that's asking the insurance company.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
They said to get an estimate before I submit a claim - but the shop near me charges a lot just for an estimate...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am not saying submit a claim, I am saying ask them what submitting a claim might do to your premium.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My agent was super vague, he said it will go up but had no idea by how much :/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's going to go insane. I'd make sure the thing is definitely going to be totalled before I claimed it, because it's not worth claiming just to repair it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I really don't even care if the fairings are perfect, they aren't falling off or out of place. I could get a clutch and timing cover, pegs, brake lever, and new frame sliders for about $250 - probably just gonna do that and not gently caress with dealing with insurance at all. Biggest expense is going to be a helmet.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Welp, so much for lane splitting being less safe than bumper-to-bumper. Pulled up in back of a guy as he stopped behind other cars at a light, he decided to back into a spot, didn't see me despite my helmet being lit up. Thankfully no damage I can make out. https://streamable.com/c9j1

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I would say that lane splitting is far safer than sitting in traffic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shimrod posted:

I would say that lane splitting is far safer than sitting in traffic.

:agreed:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Squirrel Burger posted:

Welp, so much for lane splitting being less safe than bumper-to-bumper. Pulled up in back of a guy as he stopped behind other cars at a light, he decided to back into a spot, didn't see me despite my helmet being lit up. Thankfully no damage I can make out. https://streamable.com/c9j1

This is loving exactly why I leave at least half a car length between me and the guy in front at lights (when splitting isn't possible, which is often on the fairly narrow roads here), and my bastard examiner gave me a minor for it. "Brake checking the car behind you because he'll expect you to go right up to the bumper of the car in front, and you're stopping earlier than that". gently caress that and gently caress you :argh:

Also high five el-wire helmet buddy :awesomelon:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 22, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Squirrel Burger posted:

That happened to me except it was a pick up truck and I was in the miata. The guy backed right over my hood. It's amazing how unaware people are.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Squirrel Burger posted:

Is..is that a back-up camera on his dash display?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I think you're seeing through the windscreen to the cars in front?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It looked like a display on there for sure. Might not be a camera though.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

What are you guys seeing that I'm not? There is a car in front illuminated by his headlights, which is the only thing I can see which contrasts with the darkness of the inside of the cabin. There does appear to be a reversing cam under the Chevy badge on the rear of the car, but I'm pretty sure we're not seeing the screen for it in the clip.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What are you guys seeing that I'm not? There is a car in front illuminated by his headlights, which is the only thing I can see which contrasts with the darkness of the inside of the cabin. There does appear to be a reversing cam under the Chevy badge on the rear of the car, but I'm pretty sure we're not seeing the screen for it in the clip.

Alright. Maybe there isn't. Still retarded.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Still retarded.

No question!

Zack de la Rochelle
Oct 21, 2008
I have that same car. Back up camera is standard equipment.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Welp.

Was riding to work, started to change lanes. As I got to the bumper of a CX7 she decided that my bike wasn't important.

Hit me from the side, I hit the ground pretty hard and rolled. Maybe 20mph wreck.

Still in hospital waiting on results and some kind of loving pain relief. Without a full face I would have been fuckeddddd.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

iwentdoodie posted:

Welp.

Was riding to work, started to change lanes. As I got to the bumper of a CX7 she decided that my bike wasn't important.

Hit me from the side, I hit the ground pretty hard and rolled. Maybe 20mph wreck.

Still in hospital waiting on results and some kind of loving pain relief. Without a full face I would have been fuckeddddd.

Fuckin' cagers, man.

Hope you get feelin' better, man. How bad is the bike? Thinkin' about gettin' a different one if it's totaled?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Verge posted:

Fuckin' cagers, man.

Hope you get feelin' better, man. How bad is the bike? Thinkin' about gettin' a different one if it's totaled?

She straight up said she never saw me.

Not sure on the bike. I know the headlight bucket was pretty trashed, tank dented, probably bars hosed.

They're saying no fractures, just a bit of rash and a really loving badly sprained ankle that wouldve been shattered if not for boots.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

iwentdoodie posted:

She straight up said she never saw me.

Not sure on the bike. I know the headlight bucket was pretty trashed, tank dented, probably bars hosed.

They're saying no fractures, just a bit of rash and a really loving badly sprained ankle that wouldve been shattered if not for boots.

Don't forget to go for diminished value in the bike if they don't total it and seriously consider having a lawyer get your pain & suffering. Of course she didn't see you, she didn't look. You hit the ones you don't see. Hitting someone you see is considered assault, which would require motive.

Heal up well, my friend. Glad to see your mind's still on riding. Oh, don't forget to make her insurance pay for gear, especially your lid. That's a thing in many states (maybe all).

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Verge posted:

Don't forget to go for diminished value in the bike if they don't total it and seriously consider having a lawyer get your pain & suffering. Of course she didn't see you, she didn't look. You hit the ones you don't see. Hitting someone you see is considered assault, which would require motive.

Heal up well, my friend. Glad to see your mind's still on riding. Oh, don't forget to make her insurance pay for gear, especially your lid. That's a thing in many states (maybe all).

I don't know how it'll work with pain and suffering since I'm military.

But overall, I'm decent. Ankle is sore as gently caress, hip is sore as gently caress, road rash loving blows (literally all that got rash is my god drat muffin top that got exposed), and neck is starting to hurt.

Looking back, I think I may have actually blacked out for a second. I remember me moving over, seeing her signal, trying to evade, a loud crunch...And then I was rolling. Stopped sliding, ran a 20yard dash that Usain Bolt couldn't have matched, then realized I could barely walk.

It was fun. 0/10 would not do again.

Already looking at bikes, just in case. If I had hosed up, or it was my fault, I would probably be more anxious...but I was doing everything right, and just couldn't evade away.

Wife smacked me when I tried to get her to stop at the BMW dealer on our way home.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Did you get a good painkiller? I hope you did! Suxaboutthecrashtoo.

I don't see how you being military would effect the claim, except that returning to working condition might take a little longer since you, presumably, need to be in tip top A+ #1 fighting shape.:patriot:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

Did you get a good painkiller? I hope you did! Suxaboutthecrashtoo.

I don't see how you being military would effect the claim, except that returning to working condition might take a little longer since you, presumably, need to be in tip top A+ #1 fighting shape.:patriot:

gently caress no. A shot of tramadol that did gently caress all. Literally the best pain relief I got was when the corpsman felt bad, and snaked a tube of lidocaine to put on the road rash after he cleaned it. Really wish they would have taken me to a civilian hospital.

And ha. I had to go in for an hour as soon as I got out of the ER, and I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Also, my Kevlar jeans held up loving great. The denim tore away, but the seams held and the Kevlar under panels didn't tear at all. Of course this wouldn't happen in summer when I have armored pants on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Double post, but...

Thank christ for full face helmets.

Right elbow. All of that is on the armor. Arm is totally fine.

And right shoulder. Hard to tell, but it's dented and those gouges are deeeeep. But my shoulder is completely fine.

• Locked thread