Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

I got a cheap picture frame from target to frame a poster that I'd like to hang on my wall. When I got home, I realized that I'm not quite sure how to hang it on my wall. It doesn't have a string across the back, but does have this

Go to a hardware store and get some of this:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ook-framers-pro-wire/

and some of these:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ook-readynail-conventional-picture-hangers/

(It doesn't have to be that brand, this was the first thing I found online.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Golbez posted:

I have a nascent ear infection coming on that I've been trying to stave off. I've been popping sugar-free cough drops like tic-tacs the last two days, mostly for comfort but also to cut down on coughing. I went through a whole bag of 25 in one day. Could having this much mentholyptus (and whatever else) in my system potentially be bad?

I doubt it, but honestly I don't know the answer to that question. The bag would have some sort of warning if there were a chance of O.D., I'd assume.

What I wanted to say was I think you should get some sudafed (or similar stuff) and use that, not cough drops.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Raimundus posted:

Ever try to cut leather, dude? It's pretty tough. And this belt is about a quarter-millimeter thick (and an inch and a half wide) and treated. If I had a belt saw, I'd be using that instead of a hacksaw, which is probably going to be beat to poo poo by the time I get through this thing.

What if I vicegrip it to a block of wood to give it a solid backing?

How about a dremel and a cutting wheel?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Barometer posted:

I doubt it, but honestly I don't know the answer to that question. The bag would have some sort of warning if there were a chance of O.D., I'd assume.

What I wanted to say was I think you should get some sudafed (or similar stuff) and use that, not cough drops.

I did, and have been using it today, but yesterday I was stuck on the road and all I could find was closed pharmacies.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Golbez posted:

I did, and have been using it today, but yesterday I was stuck on the road and all I could find was closed pharmacies.

Right on. A few years ago I had a stopped up feeling ear that I just ignored for a week or two and it ended up bursting my ear drum. :(
The Doc told me I was prone to ear infections and should use sudafed when there was an issue, so I thought I should pass it along. Bursting ear drums are not a pleasant feeling. :)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Barometer posted:

Right on. A few years ago I had a stopped up feeling ear that I just ignored for a week or two and it ended up bursting my ear drum. :(
The Doc told me I was prone to ear infections and should use sudafed when there was an issue, so I thought I should pass it along. Bursting ear drums are not a pleasant feeling. :)

Before moving to Iowa in 2007, I'd had one ear infection ever. Since then, I've had at least five, two of which were among the most painful experiences in my life. It was only after the fourth that I discovered that civilian Sudafed is absolutely useless, and since then I only use the stuff you have to sign for.

My 'goal' is to get two ear infections in one month such that I hit the legal limit for buying meth-grade Sudafed. I wonder if opening my mouth and showing them my throat would count as a waiver. ... then again, I'm sure there'd be some freaks who would keep themselves sick deliberately just to score more cooking materials.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barometer posted:

:aaa: Okay making a clinic appoint right now. I've had a conjested ear for a while, but my mother (a medical professional) told me it would pass in a couple of weeks.

It hasn't.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Before moving to Iowa in 2007, I'd had one ear infection ever. Since then, I've had at least five, two of which were among the most painful experiences in my life. It was only after the fourth that I discovered that civilian Sudafed is absolutely useless, and since then I only use the stuff you have to sign for.

My 'goal' is to get two ear infections in one month such that I hit the legal limit for buying meth-grade Sudafed. I wonder if opening my mouth and showing them my throat would count as a waiver. ... then again, I'm sure there'd be some freaks who would keep themselves sick deliberately just to score more cooking materials.

Have you been tested for allergies? It's possible that the aggravation of pollen and whatnot could be contributing to ear infection. Also, try afrin if you get stopped up. It is perfectly safe when used as directed (i.e. don't use it for more than three days or whatever the box says).

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

stubblyhead posted:

Have you been tested for allergies? It's possible that the aggravation of pollen and whatnot could be contributing to ear infection. Also, try afrin if you get stopped up. It is perfectly safe when used as directed (i.e. don't use it for more than three days or whatever the box says).

I'm positive it's allergies, but it tends to come along pretty fast. I suppose I should start taking allergy medication just as a precaution. It's like it attacks my ear first, skipping my nose. I woke up Saturday morning with a sore throat and a mostly clear nose. In fact, my ear infections almost always manifest only as an intensely sore throat, and then progressing to nasal stuff, etc., with me feeling an urge to pop my ears, but the actual symptoms are centered in my throat.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Mak0rz posted:

:aaa: Okay making a clinic appoint right now. I've had a conjested ear for a while, but my mother (a medical professional) told me it would pass in a couple of weeks.

It hasn't.

You could just try OTC medicine if it's a case of wax build up. You essentially pour a liquid down your ear canal and rinse it out after a few hours. I suffer from this from time to time; the first time required a clinic visit because of the pain. Now I've learned to recognise the symptoms and know how to rinse it out myself, even without medicine.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had ear pain and it made my ear hurt even after it got better, for a couple years then once a day pain twinges for another year or two. I waited a couple days before I went and got it checked, it was really bad. Seconding the 'get it checked asap'. Also, a friend of mine's dad is an ENT, and he said to me once: when you have an ear problem, don't gently caress around, go to an ENT immediately.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Daemus posted:

You could just try OTC medicine if it's a case of wax build up. You essentially pour a liquid down your ear canal and rinse it out after a few hours.

If it's to the point where he can barely hear, the OTC stuff isn't gonna work well. He's gonna have to get a good flushing at the doctor's. The hearing sensations you get after the wax washes off is incredible; enjoy it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does psx4droid not work on gingerbread? (2.3)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

change my name posted:

Does psx4droid not work on gingerbread? (2.3)

It is half finished and not being developed any more, so fpse is the way to go.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Daemus posted:

You could just try OTC medicine if it's a case of wax build up. You essentially pour a liquid down your ear canal and rinse it out after a few hours. I suffer from this from time to time; the first time required a clinic visit because of the pain. Now I've learned to recognise the symptoms and know how to rinse it out myself, even without medicine.

I went to the clinic about a month and a half or so ago, she said it was a viral infection that should clear up. Well, it hasn't, and I don't respond to decongestants (it's not wax, it's various immune response fluids), so I guess it's time for another trip anyway.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

redreader posted:

It is half finished and not being developed any more, so fpse is the way to go.

Thanks, hope this one works (probably not since I'm trying to run it off my nook)

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kharmakazy posted:

May as well replace that copper piping anyhow... isnt there something newere than pvc they are using now... I'll pick up a handman book and see how bad I can gently caress it up until I need a plumber.

Go for it; it's rewarding. So much of plumbing is really just having the right tool and a very small amount of knowledge.
I'm loving useless, mechanically, and I've replaced sections of copper pipe All By Myself -after doing it with someone else a couple times. The keys are absolute dryness (blowtorch and the right angle), flux, a circular pipe cutter ($3-4), solder (that's the daunting-sounding part; it ain't) , and the fittings. Old plumber's trick: jam some crust-free Wonder Bread™ up in the pipe to sponge up water that is trickling down to destroy your soldering job. It will just dissolve and disappear eventually.

^As you say though, that stuff has all been obviated, mostly. Just use some PVC; it will be even easier -just less interesting.

Also, there is someone at your local hardware store (not the big box) that would love to tell you all about it.

Q: 2D Bar codes: If I want to make a 2d bar code that will take a phone from a poster to a URL of mine, how do I do that? Googling is turning up all kinds of conflicting stuff. Is there some kind of ICANN type of registrar that databases the info or is it purely mathematical or what?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Very Strange Things posted:

Q: 2D Bar codes: If I want to make a 2d bar code that will take a phone from a poster to a URL of mine, how do I do that? Googling is turning up all kinds of conflicting stuff. Is there some kind of ICANN type of registrar that databases the info or is it purely mathematical or what?

This might be no help but if you search by QR codes (their original name in Japan where they were invented, first popularized, and extremely widely used), you might get more accurate results.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
is "LeÕ inter Agnus" the correct Latin way to write "Lion among sheep"?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

mambo italiano posted:

is "LeÕ inter Agnus" the correct Latin way to write "Lion among sheep"?

leo inter agnis

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

MyronMulch posted:

Go to a hardware store and get some of this:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ook-framers-pro-wire/

and some of these:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ook-readynail-conventional-picture-hangers/

(It doesn't have to be that brand, this was the first thing I found online.)

Thank you! I love pictures when I don't really know what I'm talking about. I can find those things in a store. :D

hecho en mexico posted:

does anyone know the best way to get ink out of a shirt? someone left a pen in their pocket when they put their poo poo in the dryer and i got ink all over my favorite t-shirt. it's like day-glo yellow, so i'm not sure if bleach is going to work or whatever.

I had really good luck with store-brand Oxyclean. I had all of my clothes go through the dryer with an exploded pen, and I managed to salvage most of them by dumping a whole bunch of Oxyclean in the washer and running them through with that. I wasn't able to save everything, though, so YMMV.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

leo inter agnis

Thank you

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Mak0rz posted:

It hasn't.

There's a very high chance it's just ear wax buildup. Even if you're sure your ears are clean.

Get an ear syringe, fill it with warm water and go nuts squirting it in your ear over and over. There's a good chance that will clear it up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When you first install itunes and start the program up for the first time a utility window will pop up for you to determine settings for it, such as whether to add all music found in "My Documents" to iTunes. Can I access this utility again through the preferences or whatever and if so how?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Schweinhund posted:

There's a very high chance it's just ear wax buildup.

No it isn't:

Mak0rz posted:

I went to the clinic about a month and a half or so ago, she said it was a viral infection that should clear up. Well, it hasn't, and I don't respond to decongestants (it's not wax, it's various immune response fluids), so I guess it's time for another trip anyway.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
How do you find the join date on someone's AdultFriendFinder?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I'm using Ubuntu 10.10, what the gently caress is this progress manager that keeps popping up? Got a little wizard icon in the tray. I feel like it's mocking me for not understanding its purpose.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Go here, enter the URL, press button -- you'll get a QR code directing to that site; ought to be what you're looking for!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

kapalama posted:

This might be no help but if you search by QR codes (their original name in Japan where they were invented, first popularized, and extremely widely used), you might get more accurate results.

Travakian posted:

Go here, enter the URL, press button -- you'll get a QR code directing to that site; ought to be what you're looking for!

Thanks guys, I found that very same site with some better googlings and it works like a charm. I guess I was thinking that it was more like UCPs that had to be registered to work, rather than just that simple data like a URL can all be contained in that graphic. Reality is loving easily mediated these days. It probably seems like old hat to many, but it's kind of mind-blowing to me.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I need to do some tagging of mp3s in OS X. I got spoiled by the auto lookup feature in Tag&Rename, and I cannot get my PC online; only my Mac.

Are there any taggers for OS X that actually lookup up the info on the internet? I do not want to hand enter tag info, I want the tagger to enter the info for me.

(Every time I ask this in the Mac Software thread, a bunch of people suggest a bunch of programs that are not taggers, but ID3 editors only.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

kapalama posted:

I need to do some tagging of mp3s in OS X. I got spoiled by the auto lookup feature in Tag&Rename, and I cannot get my PC online; only my Mac.

Are there any taggers for OS X that actually lookup up the info on the internet? I do not want to hand enter tag info, I want the tagger to enter the info for me.

(Every time I ask this in the Mac Software thread, a bunch of people suggest a bunch of programs that are not taggers, but ID3 editors only.

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

This is what I use.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Nuclear Spoon posted:

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

This is what I use.

I appreciate the suggestion, but.. Tag&rename works by hooking into Amazon (and FreeDB if they are still around) and recognizes the CD without fail. For foreign language CDs you can choose which country's Amazon to use so you get the titles in the native language if you can read it, or in a romanized form if you do not.

What Tag&Rename is so completely effective it seems a shame that no one has written a program that does this for the Mac. I have Tag&Rename but I do not have a Japanese capable windows computer to use it on. (All my BootCamp installs are corrupted, and other peoples computers are not set up to rad Japanese..)

I tired Picard but it still tries to recognize each individual song, rather than the album as a whole, and apparently knows none of the music I am trying to tag.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Golbez posted:

I have a nascent ear infection coming on that I've been trying to stave off. I've been popping sugar-free cough drops like tic-tacs the last two days, mostly for comfort but also to cut down on coughing. I went through a whole bag of 25 in one day. Could having this much mentholyptus (and whatever else) in my system potentially be bad?

Just wanted to pipe in and say that in my experience, and with friends and family, too many halls can lead to the shits.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
What's better for your credit, in terms of a charge card for a store that you haven't shopped at in years? Leave it active, close it, or does it matter? Obviously don't open cards you don't plan to use just because your friend is an employee there and he bugged you to get it, but uh, what now?

(Clarification to save face: This is not me/my card)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
looking for a piece of gonzo journalism not by HST. The name is something about drinking rum and a whole bunch of other ridiculous things while speeding. Thanks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Google's URL shortener http://goo.gl can create QR codes as well. Just create your goog.gl URL, then append .qr to the end for the QR code. So if your code is goo.gl/abcd, just enter in goog.gl/abcd.qr and you'll get a QR code for your URL.

What's nice about Google URL shortener is that is tracks click and scans, so you can see who is using your code in real time.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

I'm positive it's allergies, but it tends to come along pretty fast. I suppose I should start taking allergy medication just as a precaution. It's like it attacks my ear first, skipping my nose. I woke up Saturday morning with a sore throat and a mostly clear nose. In fact, my ear infections almost always manifest only as an intensely sore throat, and then progressing to nasal stuff, etc., with me feeling an urge to pop my ears, but the actual symptoms are centered in my throat.

I've been using either nasonex or flonase for my allergies ever since I moved to the pacific northwest. They work for me a lot better than OTC stuff. Ask your doctor if either of those might work for you. Flonase is available in generic and is thus probably going to be cheaper.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Preoptopus posted:

looking for a piece of gonzo journalism not by HST. The name is something about drinking rum and a whole bunch of other ridiculous things while speeding. Thanks.

Novel or magazine/newspaper article? Or both? You can't offer anymore specifics about the plot?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

http://www.heretical.com/miscella/reptile.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
So I discovered an HDMI port on the back of my computer. My first thought was "oh man, I could hook this the hell up to my gigantic TV then play games with style". Then I inspected my TV and saw no HDMI port of it's own. What sort of sorcery am I going to have to accomplish to achieve this incredibly stupid dream? Google suggests a simple hdmi-to-svideo/composite doesn't exist (at least, what I could find). Am I going to need a converter box?