Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is a very, very nice post, friend.
Thanks. She was a very talented artist and wanted to get into either building design or become a national geographic photagrapher, she was in the process of earning the credits to do that when someone killed her and framed it as a suicide(we have evidence proving it wasn't). The entire thing is 100% some Dateline poo poo, it's real hosed up, but this isn't the thread for that.

Someday, I want to put all her artwork and other crafts online. I love her sculptures, like making a volleyball-sized marigold-cut diamond(think the typical type you'd see in a video game like Ducktales) out of welded steel, and the top(the top flat surface, rather) has hidden hinges and flips open to reveal...a fluffy pink secret compartment for her bong and paraphernalia. :v:

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Oct 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'd be happy to live in that, it looks rad.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pookah posted:

Nope - strangely it's actually a bit late :) I make old-fashioned rich fruit cakes which need to mature for at least a couple of months before you eat them, so I like to get it done by late-September. Best one we ever had was one that had been baked for the previous christmas, I think it was about 14-15 months old when it was eventually eaten. As long as you pack them up carefully in greaseproof paper, they keep for an extremely long time.

Cake number 2 is in the oven right now - out in 4 hours!

Oh, that's cool! The more you know I guess :)

Captain Invictus posted:

My little sister's birthday was a few days ago. I've rarely been in her room since she was murdered ten years ago, it's mostly used for storage anymore, though a lot of her effects are still in there. I went in there for a bit and dug around and found something I had forgotten about : The House She Built. For a project her class was asked to fully design and build a model of their dream house if they were to build one, so she made a two-story floor plan largely out of cardboard with build dimension detailing written into the paper of each floor. It's quite dusty and has some cobwebs and spiders in it and a mouse went into it at some point, but it's still intact. If I were to win the lottery or come into some significant money, I would make her dream a reality, my land is a large enough space to demolish my old house and build this one in its place, if I could. She wanted to build a big house for her and her family or friends to also live in with her. Apologies that it's messy. This is The House She Built.

And this is really cool too. It's a very nice floor planning.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

lovely co-worker put in his two week notice

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I put in my two week notice!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
MORE
OLD
JOB
LESS

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Made it through my first day back on Intermittent Fasting. I'm doing 15:9, and I'd like to move to 16:8 when I'm used to it.

Vadun posted:

lovely co-worker put in his two week notice

oldpainless posted:

I put in my two week notice!

The post is coming from inside the office :gonk:

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I can't say what happened but sharing my joy anyway.
Expressing gratitude for SA, it can be a force for good----
life changing, it was for me.
Thank you goons
You will never know how much❤❤

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

spinderella posted:

I can't say what happened but sharing my joy anyway.
Expressing gratitude for SA, it can be a force for good----
life changing, it was for me.
Thank you goons
You will never know how much❤❤

There's legit good people here and some of my best friends I have met through this site.

In the meantime I'm in Mexico and it's pouring super warm rain, there's a lit up pirate ship sailing by, a bunch of people are in costume, and I'm drinking mojitos and piña coladas next to a dia de los muertos shrine with live music playing behind me. I want to make this my new tradition.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The House She Built.
Those sentiments are beautiful, as are the pictures :)

For me I'm pretty glad to find something every day thats awesome. A moment. But this probably sounds dumb, but I love coming on SA when my life is really full on and reading people talk about things they are *into* really strongly. Not like a voyeur, but reading how excited and passionate people are about things is rad. Everyone should have at least one *thing* in their life and I really dig it. Plus I know random trivia about things I know nothing else about so thats fun. Getting vicariously hyped for something is also way cheaper and lacks buyers remorse.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I come to SA to complain about video games

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I have wasted so many happy hours on this website, and I will never regret finding it.

oldpainless posted:

I come to SA to complain about video games

Me too, it's an advanced sport in the steam thread. I love to complain about games, it's a sign of my love for them. :v:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I got promoted at work!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have wasted so many happy hours on this website, and I will never regret finding it.
:same:
I found out about it through a friend years and years ago directing me to the LP Archive. Laughed my rear end off at a great many of them, finally got a job, the first three things I bought with my very first paycheck of my very first job: SA accounts for me and my best friend, and plat for mine.

I regret nothing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's kinda nuts the amount of stuff I saw on early SA, like 2001 or 2002 when I first discovered it, that I'm like "yikes" to now, when I thought it was hi-larious back then. The stuff like the edgy kid's book photoshop phridays and such. Still some good ones though. Anything Karnov-related was always gold.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I survived the day while being fairly medicated, and I think I might actually be over my cold. I think that's pretty awesome. They also had free calzones and chicken parm at the office today.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's kinda nuts the amount of stuff I saw on early SA, like 2001 or 2002 when I first discovered it, that I'm like "yikes" to now, when I thought it was hi-larious back then. The stuff like the edgy kid's book photoshop phridays and such. Still some good ones though. Anything Karnov-related was always gold.

I sometimes come across little things that are jarring to read now, like the old quote text, "Username came out of the closet to say.."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

- Wrote another 2k for my NaNo, bringing the total wordcount up to 10k and I am very happy with that :toot:

- Did my math homework as well and mostly understood it, meaning I'm several days ahead of schedule

- Had a good walk with my dog

- A kickstarter for a volume 2 of an art 'zine I like launched, and I got the early bird tier so I get a free poster

- I started reading (another) good book!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The IRS’s new Qualified Business Income deduction thought it could kick my rear end? Think again! Put together a comprehensive Excel workbook for my firm in a couple hours that streamlines all the madness with minimal inputs. Nesting logic tests in Excel are so satisfying when they work properly.

(I’m not a programmer, so forgive my excitement over what’s probably pretty trivial)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Today the cover art for my first novel was finished! I am extraordinarily happy with it and it has spurred me toward the finish line even faster.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Went and saw Die Hard on the big screen and it was :krad:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Changed my sheets and pillowcases at the same time, and threw the pillows in the dryer with some softener sheets.

They're so comfy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My boss apparently got fired for who knows what(had to be bad, they're hurting for management folks and basically never fire anyone outside of kill/rape/steal, people have gotten in fistfights and kept their jobs even) and his replacement is my old boss who is the best and does a great job while also just generally being a cool, fun dude to be around

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I just ran like a god playing poker, combined with good table selection and good play. Cashed out after 2 hours up nearly 500bb to a comped buffet to make sure I don't go on positive tilt :dance:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I got back on the wagon and started exercising and dieting again and I've actually been getting results. I'm down to what I weighed 10 years ago and can actually see myself making my goal weight in a year if I keep it up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

-Zydeco- posted:

I got back on the wagon and started exercising and dieting again and I've actually been getting results. I'm down to what I weighed 10 years ago and can actually see myself making my goal weight in a year if I keep it up.

I've started going to the gym too, 2 weeks ago. I wasn't dieting, I only started counting calories 2 days ago, but I've lost 0.6 kg - I went from 89.8 to 89.2! I'm hoping to start losing faster now I've started watching my caloric intake, it mostly involves being more careful of snacks.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We got a letter saying our son was awarded a sizeable scholarship to summer art camp because of his major and because he'd attended this past summer. He loved it so much and was really excited about going back. I can't wait to tell him in the morning (he was asleep when we got the mail).

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's awesome!

I went for a run today because I'm terrible at running even like a mile but can do 25+ on a bicycle and that's not a good ratio. After only a 2 mile run (1 mile jog, 1 mile intervals) I'm dead and it feels good. Tried to stand up to make tea and nearly fell over, that's how you know it's a good workout.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Queen Combat posted:

That's awesome!

I went for a run today because I'm terrible at running even like a mile but can do 25+ on a bicycle and that's not a good ratio. After only a 2 mile run (1 mile jog, 1 mile intervals) I'm dead and it feels good. Tried to stand up to make tea and nearly fell over, that's how you know it's a good workout.

I can't run very far "live" on the road because I tend to outpace myself and get worn out really quickly. also the subtle hills everywhere give heavy resistance. I tend to need a treadmill or something to keep my pace consistent, at least in these early days.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Just a few years ago I was regularly knocking out 5-8 in the Army because I was sadbrains and had nothing else except exercise to live for. It's been a few years of backsliding but trying to work back to something reputable AND have good mental health at the same time.

A treadmill is nice here in AZ in the summer, and how I went from 320+ to 200 in order to join the army in the first place. Treadmill every day. Every. Day. But man is this a lot more difficult in my 30s versus my 20s.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

passed my driving test finally

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EmmyOk posted:

passed my driving test finally
grats! the actual test itself is always harrowing, I had a full blown panic attack during mine but managed to clutch it out.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I passed my Aussie citizenship test so when I get official confirmation and then attend a ceremony and say the pledge I'll be an Aussie.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Finally watched Matt Groening's Disenchantment and I wasn't expecting anything whatsoever based on the description and images I saw, but I honestly liked it a ton and watched 4 episodes in a row, I never do that for anything except rewatching old stuff for nostalgia or for Steve Wilkos. I don't like medieval old timey or elf poo poo at all, maybe I just like Matt Grownining's really weird sense of humor, it really shows through.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Nov 19, 2018

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I just got my first Engineering job, completing Uni this year and found employment before I even got my degree sent to me!

Helith posted:

I passed my Aussie citizenship test so when I get official confirmation and then attend a ceremony and say the pledge I'll be an Aussie.

Congrats!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My dog let me sleep in a whole hour. :kimchi:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This was technically yesterday, but: I was at the animal adoption center, and saw a mid-card wrestler from the local franchise adopting a dog. Absolutely blessed omen.

Then I went and ate a gigantic beef bowl.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Some legal guys on reddit (ok yeah I know) vindicated me in something that I've been accused of for over 2 years. They pointed me to the actual, legal, law statute that 100% proves me right. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, like physically.

E I'm yelling I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU in my head; I'd never do it to their face cause IM NOT THAT KIND OF PERSON BUT I TOLD YOU!

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Nov 20, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finished reading a really good sci-fi trilogy, made some chicken with some rad spicing, and now I've got my feet up and I'm reading another good book. And my dog's new toy arrived today, and he played with it hard enough that he's conked out on his bed right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My house has been slowly deteriorating over the years and badly needed fixing up all over. I've been struggling to keep things going with my mom's poor health and lack of job and the associated terrible costs of healthcare with that, mortgage, various debts due to some awful poo poo that happened many years ago, etc. My dad suddenly decided that since he's got a lot of money socked away for retirement, he could afford to pull a bit out to help pay off some of my/mom's debts, medical bills, and repair the house a bit. So he asked us to find some folks to fix up the roof and do everything they thought needed doing and to have them send the bill his way (about 15k worth of work), and they completely replaced the roof and soffits and all associated stuff as well as destroying the obsolete chimney(the house is 150 years old) and removing all the skylights which, with new england's weather, cause serious leakage and damage to the interior over time. We had a squad of 9 dudes all working at once who got it all done in only two days, and I managed to grab a few pieces of roof shingles to keep as mementos of just how bad things had gotten as they were from when we first moved here nearly 3 decades ago.

I won't post pictures of my house because of course not, but here are the three shingles I saved to give an idea. In particular check out the HUGE lichen on the bottom right piece, lichen grows insanely slowly so that sucker's been at it for a while. Unfortunately the guys tore part of it off when they were removing the shingles but yeah, these shingles were real bad. Keep in mind the black parts are what it generally is supposed to look like. Also that moss/lichen on a roof is really not good.

Also when they tore off the soffits, they were full of bird, mice and squirrel skeletons that had gotten into the attic and couldn't get out over the last century, since the soffits were positively ancient and the nooks where the skeletons were in were a spot humans couldnt fit into. The carpenters weren't thrilled to find that. :v:

But it's all fixed and properly set up for the next couple decades, hurrah! No more drafts or anything now, woo!!!

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I found out yesterday that my diet is helping my weight loss massively. In the first 2 weeks I only shed 0.6 kg, and that may have been right at the end, but in the last 3 days alone I shed a full 0.4 kg. That's way faster. I'm looking at a full KG lost in one week if I keep this up! Plus 88.8 kg is a fun number to be :3: