Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's not like it was just White Wolf. The 90's were filled to the brim with "this ability makes you faster, which lets you take more turns, let us never think about what thta might actually mean mechanically."

I mean, the entire trad games industry in it's entirety has long viewed mechanics as something you do by "feel" without ever examining the results. People who know how to actually make games get the gently caress out of that industry when they can.

Proud owner of HoL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
City Gangrel would be fine with Animalism instead of Celerity.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's not like it was just White Wolf. The 90's were filled to the brim with "this ability makes you faster, which lets you take more turns, let us never think about what thta might actually mean mechanically."

I mean, the entire trad games industry in it's entirety has long viewed mechanics as something you do by "feel" without ever examining the results. People who know how to actually make games get the gently caress out of that industry when they can.

Didn't D&D do that with a spell that before that had a major drawback? Haste used to age you something like a year every time it was cast on you,

Edited while making post!
It was stupider. In older editions before 3rd you were explicitly told it does not make it so you can cast spells more often. Guess what 3.0 didn't do!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Got the urge to start a new playthrough. I forgot how brutal the wind in Santa Monica was.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I want to play this again. What's the optimal patch/mod lineup for a Tremere (best bloodline) playthrough? Unless mods include Lasombra now?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I want to play this again. What's the optimal patch/mod lineup for a Tremere (best bloodline) playthrough? Unless mods include Lasombra now?

DO NOT USE THE MOD THAT INCLUDES LASOMBRA!

Antitribu mod is absolute garbage!

The optimal patch/mod lineup continues to be and will likely always be just grabbing CQM, which comes packaged with a ton of other stuff anyways. If you want a true "purist" experience then you grab whatever the newest Wesp patch is and install the basic version.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ProfessorCirno posted:

DO NOT USE THE MOD THAT INCLUDES LASOMBRA!

Antitribu mod is absolute garbage!

The optimal patch/mod lineup continues to be and will likely always be just grabbing CQM, which comes packaged with a ton of other stuff anyways. If you want a true "purist" experience then you grab whatever the newest Wesp patch is and install the basic version.

It's gotten a bit better but holy poo poo is it buggy. Nagaraja for instance have to eat flesh periodically on top of blood. But is there a way to harvest it? Nope. You gotta rely on those random severed arm and leg items that occasionally appear, effectively giving you a permanent stat buff for most of the game. Likewise the ghost mechanic is awesome in concept but has some clear issues when it comes to summoning them.

Apparently at least one of the devs was a huge jackass that basically hosed everything up. Last I heard someone else was trying to fix it.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's a shame... I was looking forward to the Antitribu mod (whatever it was called).

Guess I'll stick with tremere and blood boild for now with CQM :)

Thanks for the answers!

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 12, 2017

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Dienes posted:

Got the urge to start a new playthrough. I forgot how brutal the wind in Santa Monica was.

It got so bad in one of my games, that the power lines came in the houses!

I haven't played anything but CQM with Cam Lite (which I recommend).

The rest just look awful or tinker with things I don't really care about.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 12, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Seems to me like the main advantage of the Clan Quest Mod are the included secondary mods and the all-in-one installer that lets you pick the stuff you want. The actual quests that CQM adds honestly felt pretty crappy to me. The arsenal mod was pretty poo poo too.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Fuzz posted:

You haven't played this game until you've played a clan with Celerity. :colbert:

Yeah, my first game was as a tremere and while I enjoyed making people explode, I generally pushed through the combat to get to the good parts of the game.

Then I played a toreador specced into guns. That poo poo is fun and makes you feel like vampire neo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dienes posted:

If you were Malk you'd realize the telephone poles are sentient and they just wanna play some double dutch. :smugbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Would this be a bad moment to bring up Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand? Or is the right moment for doing so “never, ever, and please go boil your head”? :D

But yes, celerity was probably the biggest mechanical screw-up in the game, and that's in a game where very single discipline had at least one level that made you go “wtf were they thinking?!” It got to the point where even official material got in on the cheese, my favourite being an adventure that very reasonably pits the players against über-bad-girl Kemintiri.

Great, a fourth-generation Setite who has learned almost every trick and discipline in the book over the last 3,500 years. Through some utterly stupefying feat of trickery, the players are supposed to apparently have her cornered, with all of the Camarilla as cavalry coming just around the corner. So she does the only sensible thing: uses the same three-dot Thaumaturgy ability that some of the players probably started with, expends three points of blood, and lowers her generation to 1. Rocks fall; everyone dies. :D

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The best thing about Celerity was first edition Celerity, which boosted your Dexterity and lasted the entire scene, instead of one round.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tippis posted:

Would this be a bad moment to bring up Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand? Or is the right moment for doing so “never, ever, and please go boil your head”? :D

Get to boilin', buddy

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Get to boilin', buddy

I did like the implication that every different Mage tradition going Vampire to solve the dying-through-lack-of-magic problem would turn into a different clan/bloodline of Vampire.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Get to boilin', buddy

Nah man, post. POST AWAY!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Nah man, post. POST AWAY!

Many moons ago I tried talking about Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand for the FATAL & Friends thread. I got one update in before it defeated me. It punished my will to live. You can read what I managed to write, I guess. It's only a brief overview of the sect but it should give you the basic idea that that book was terrible, which it is.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Many moons ago I tried talking about Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand for the FATAL & Friends thread. I got one update in before it defeated me. It punished my will to live. You can read what I managed to write, I guess. It's only a brief overview of the sect but it should give you the basic idea that that book was terrible, which it is.

Aww… you cracked and gave up before you even got to explain the Souleaters, or the absolute mechanics mindfuck of the new clans and disciplines.

Weakling. :D

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Tippis posted:

Aww… you cracked and gave up before you even got to explain the Souleaters, or the absolute mechanics mindfuck of the new clans and disciplines.

Weakling. :D

To be fair, I was having some Other Assorted Personal Issues at the time IIRC, so yeah, I gave up and saved my sanity before I could get to "oh Vicissitude isn't actually a Vampiric Discipline it's an infestation of Umbral parasites that eat the user's brain" and "The True Brujah can gently caress with time because gently caress you that's why."

I maintain that the single best change that V:tM made when they went to the Revised Edition was to say "oh, rumors occasionally crop up about some 'True Black Hand' or something but if there ever was such a group they have all been wiped from existence."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

To be fair, I was having some Other Assorted Personal Issues at the time IIRC, so yeah, I gave up and saved my sanity before I could get to "oh Vicissitude isn't actually a Vampiric Discipline it's an infestation of Umbral parasites that eat the user's brain" and "The True Brujah can gently caress with time because gently caress you that's why."

Temporis was great because it was the complete inversion of “we don't understand how to balance Celerity.”

Right, let's give these vampires abilities that time-sphere focused Mage characters would get mighty jealous of. Now hype it up as “oh, but this is the true form of the child's play that is Celerity.” Top it off with mechanics that make it worse than Celerity at almost every step of the way, yet somehow — paradoxically — even more broken.

And yet, it was almost sane compared to the rest of the book.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Nordick posted:

Seems to me like the main advantage of the Clan Quest Mod are the included secondary mods and the all-in-one installer that lets you pick the stuff you want. The actual quests that CQM adds honestly felt pretty crappy to me. The arsenal mod was pretty poo poo too.

I was disappointed with the Arsenal mod, the explosives were really broken.

I really like the blood counter in the Cam edition though. The OP was right, what seems like it would be an annoyance was surprisingly fun and made all those NPCs useful.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Well, gently caress, there's some weird bug in my game. I'm escaping from Grout's mansion and after jumping from the balcony, I take the door directly beneath it. I know its the correct door. When I run down the short hall, a wall of fire pops up over the end of the hallway, just before entering the room. If I get too close, I get stuck in the fire wall and can't move, and die pretty quickly. (I checked the route I am taking against a few let's plays, and they all go the same direction but don't have the fire wall.) I've never had this bug before and its the same Steam version I've had for years without issue.

Edit: I was able to noclip around the issue. Weird!

Dienes fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 15, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You'll probably just have to noclip past it. Kind of weird bug. Sounds like the fire is triggering early for whatever reason.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CatchrNdRy posted:

I was disappointed with the Arsenal mod, the explosives were really broken.

I really like the blood counter in the Cam edition though. The OP was right, what seems like it would be an annoyance was surprisingly fun and made all those NPCs useful.
Yeah the explosives were stupid, plus some of the models and effects were really cheap and lovely. Sure the game isn't exactly a graphical triumph, but I'm talking really lovely.

I agree about the Camarilla mod too, the constant blood drain and other features made things pretty interesting.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Nordick posted:

Yeah the explosives were stupid, plus some of the models and effects were really cheap and lovely. Sure the game isn't exactly a graphical triumph, but I'm talking really lovely.

I agree about the Camarilla mod too, the constant blood drain and other features made things pretty interesting.

I believe the selling point for the Arsenal mod was once easy opponents now make you re-think your strategy. All that means is everyone has phosphorus rounds now.

Yeah, the only thing I didn't like was the blood loss during conversation.

Its not a graphical triumph, but I wish most of modding was spent on improving the 3rd person NPC models (the conversation graphics are fine). Also maybe different voices, I'm tired of hearing "cop voice" from everyone from a Russian gangster to a Chinese Kuei Jin.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 16, 2017

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
change all voices to chunk

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is it reasonable to use the latest version of wesp's patch for the game?

In looking at the patch notes, I can see that wesp continues to mess with the game, as he will no doubt do for the rest of his life. I don't know how it's possible to continue to find things to change, after the 97th update to his patch, but he found all this:

+Restored Chateau Hotel to ending, thanks EntenSchreck and Psycho-A.
+Swapped clone Brujah at solo ending with Toreador for male Brujah.
+Made Gary gift different bloodpacks and fixed missing Kathayan bug.
+Stopped shaking Malkavian lines in Ocean House and at observatory.
+Made crypt ghosts vanish and added missing door to Chinese Theatre.
+Fixed map details, cleaned files and updated SDK, thanks Psycho-A.
+Removed Lotus Blossom patron with bad shadow and fixed green drips.
Switched badly fixed missing Tommy line with better fitting float.
Fixed Kilpatrick's line making it possible to restart Carson quest.
Recreated floats and subtitles, thanks miracle.flame and Psycho-A.
Fixed four level holes at the Ocean House and one in Venture Tower.
Mirrored SM area maps and improved details of others, thanks IanW.
Fixed unbalanced XP of Bad Luck Farmer quest and minor text issues.
Corrected Luca, Damsel, Bertram, Gary and Skelter dialogue issues.
Removed confusing left over corpse and gone cars in parking garage.
Fixed Zhao exploit and walkthrough errors, thanks to sunsmountain.
Corrected lip-sync of prostitutes in cemetery and her dialogue bug.
Improved Empire Hotel mafia TV room sound switch and music radius.
Disabled bump mapping option because of issues with improved water.
Fixed Nadia sequence, frozen zombies and Ming endgame camera shot.
Repaired bad icons and flickering for upper Venture tower elevator.

The concern I have is that he makes so many changes with each patch version that he might have broken something, or done something that I wouldn't like. I'm fairly certain that all the fixes he's doing by now are just fixing things that he himself broke in an earlier patch version. So, which one to use?

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 20, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're worried about Wesp breaking stuff, stick to the Basic version of the patch. It's mostly bug fixes and works very well in its current incarnation.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you're worried about Wesp breaking stuff, stick to the Basic version of the patch. It's mostly bug fixes and works very well in its current incarnation.

If you notice, half those changes in the patch notes were to the basic version, every line without a plus in front. And how could they all be bug fixes? This is literally his 60th or 70th version of the patch, each one having a couple dozen changes. There's no possible way there could still be bugs remaining for him to fix, unless he's causing them himself.

For example, from the latest patch, "Fixed unbalanced XP of Bad Luck Farmer quest and minor text issues". This sounds like he's just moving XP values back and forth based on his own personal preferences, and not like any sort of bug fix.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know what the XP change is about, but the rest just seems like incredibly minor stuff that no one has bothered to fix yet because it's basically unnoticeable.

I mean, if you want a patch that only fixes the most annoying bugs of the original game, you could probably stop at 7.9, but going with the most recent version is unlikely to break anything.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Remember, this is the patch that routinely causes this thread to throw out such jokes as:

"Moved Jeanette's hairbrush rightfully to the opposite side of the sink."

"Rotated Gary 13 degrees away from the player before he become visible."

"Removed nervous smile from Chip's voice line because he's literally dead inside."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So they've officially announced a Werewolf: Apocalypse videogame being made by Cyanide Studios.

https://twitter.com/wwpublishing/status/822388049094983681

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

So they've officially announced a Werewolf: Apocalypse videogame being made by Cyanide Studios.

This is objectively a bad thing.

Werewolf is kind of lame and Cyanide has a fairly bad track record. That said, they put out a trailer for their CoC game yesterday and that looks good...

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is objectively a bad thing.

Werewolf is kind of lame and Cyanide has a fairly bad track record. That said, they put out a trailer for their CoC game yesterday and that looks good...

At least they gave the lame game to the mediocre game company, so at least we can be sure they won't give the cool oWOD properties to those guys!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's unfortunate they went the Werewolf way with the tons of other chapters to the WOD Universe.

Demon, Wraith, Hunters or another Vampire game would have been pretty great.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It's unfortunate they went the Werewolf way with the tons of other chapters to the WOD Universe.

Demon, Wraith, Hunters or another Vampire game would have been pretty great.

Eh, Paradox has their in-house studio and a good working relationship with Obsidian. I am expecting more announcements to come in the near future, given the agreement with Focus and Cyanide I am kind of expecting the Old World of Darkness to become the next Warhammer brand with a bunch of licensed titles of varying quality coming out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inzombiac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jNY3GT0jUg

Edit:
This one is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYmiwbO5icc

Edit2: This poo poo was state-of-the-art back in the day. Like, "I can't believe how real it looks!" and everything.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 20, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
cyanide is worse than mediocre and goes straight to pretty bad. i would expect VERY little out of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ZearothK posted:

Eh, Paradox has their in-house studio and a good working relationship with Obsidian. I am expecting more announcements to come in the near future, given the agreement with Focus and Cyanide I am kind of expecting the Old World of Darkness to become the next Warhammer brand with a bunch of licensed titles of varying quality coming out.

I'd be fine with that. There have been a few very good WH games over the years.

• Locked thread