Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We have a dude who can't really skate that well, but like your dude, he stumbles into the right spots and ends up scoring a bunch of goals. He's one of the team's top scorer's and its so :iiam:

INTANGIBLES!

Or "hockey sense" if you prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
need new roller wheels. currently using rink rat hornet playing on ice court. i am 6' 190-ish. any thoughts?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bewbies posted:

need new roller wheels. currently using rink rat hornet playing on ice court. i am 6' 190-ish. any thoughts?

I used the hornet splits 76A for a bit and now I'm using the 76 Hot shots that come with the new mission skates. I'm the same height but skinny ~150ish so you might want a harder wheel if you're looking for durability.

I think the price of the hot shots compared to the hornets is a great deal compared to the performance differences between the two wheels.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 28, 2012

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

bewbies posted:

I live and die by Labeda Millenium Grippers. I used Labeda Dynasty IIIs for a while too, but switched back because I didn't see THAT much difference in performance and they required you to use those stupid mini-hub bearings.

I've heard nothing but mixed reviews on the Labeda Addictions, haven't tried them myself. $14/wheel is a bit steep for me.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

Labeda Millenium Grippers, errey time.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

How old are you, how long have you been skating?

I'm in the second 6 week session of learn to skate and I'm getting confident in a lot of things, I just can't do all the stuff necessary yet to play hockey.

Anyway, my learn to skate classes are only like 40 minutes long, but they let you stay on the ice till the zambonis come around, which is like an extra half hour with a very low amount of people on the ice. So, basically what I'm saying is: maybe you should take a learn to skate class to get that extra practice and ice time and not have to worry so much about the pros and kids.

Im planning on the skating classes to supplement the clinic, but it doesn't start for a few weeks. I've also been skating inlines in a local parking lot, but until the winter cleanup is done, the piles of sand really make it not so fun. I grabbed a pair of mission A3s at the end of last summer and put labeda asphalt wheels on after tearing up the stock wheels in short order.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Thufir posted:

Our scorers are really awful, probably about half of our goals get credited to the right guy so we end up with one of our best players only technically having 1 point this season while a guy who can barely skate apparently had a three point game a few weeks ago.

Somehow all my points are accounted for though :whatup:

:ssh: the refs are the ones who determine goal and assist and tell it to the scorekeeper so if the scorekeeper is recording it wrong that's one thing, but missing assists is prob more the ref's fault.

Usually if I know there was an assist but didn't catch the number of the player who passed it (because it was a long outlet pass and I was in front of it or there was a line change going on), I'll ask the person who scored, they usually know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So my local rink hung up a flag for Mexico the other day, next to the US and Canadian flags.

Is this a thing now? Does hockey even exist in Mexico?

They also added an Illinois flag, which also doesn't make a whole ton of sense to me as I'm pretty sure only national anthems are played.

But it's not like I'm offended or anything, it just seemed like a totally random addition.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

So my local rink hung up a flag for Mexico the other day, next to the US and Canadian flags.

They also added an Illinois flag, which also doesn't make a whole ton of sense to me as I'm pretty sure only national anthems are played.

But it's not like I'm offended or anything, it just seemed like a totally random addition.
The IIHF U20 tournament happened in Mexico City last year:
http://www.iihf.com/channels1011/wm20/news/news-singleview-wm20/article/hockey-fiesta-in-mexico.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3UGAnOaSI

But really no, Mexico is a non-entity as far as hockey goes. They would be better off hanging the flag of Latvia.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

A bunch of youth players from Mexico City come up to Phoenix to train and buy gear. I don't think there is a ton of hockey in Mexico, but it does exist on some level.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Just realized after almost an entire season that one of the pretty drat good dmen on my men's league team is the brother of a certain rather good defenseman for the St Louis Blues. Maybe in the summer season we can convince him to call up The Ultimate Ringer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any Northern CA goons going to the Sharks/Blues game on Saturday? If so, look for Auburn Alehouse on the jumbotron between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

A good chunk of my team are going for our annual trip. We're staying in downtown and SJ and will be getting hammered after the game. What's more awesome is that we have our first playoff game on Sunday. Hopefully we won't be too hungover.

Our goalie is finally back from his totally-worth-it fighting suspension. His replacement (and our new goalie starting next season) during his suspension gave up 2 goals in 4 games, with 2 shutouts.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Just realized after almost an entire season that one of the pretty drat good dmen on my men's league team is the brother of a certain rather good defenseman for the St Louis Blues. Maybe in the summer season we can convince him to call up The Ultimate Ringer.

Dustin Byfuglien has done the before. It would be pretty nuts to unleash a current NHLer in a men's league.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Aniki posted:

Dustin Byfuglien has done the before. It would be pretty nuts to unleash a current NHLer in a men's league.

Last time I was around DC watching pickup Jeff Halpern came out to some game and switched teams halfway through the game. Yes, he switched teams in the middle of the 2nd. I think 1st half he scored 9 goals, 2nd half he got 8.

It was more entertaining than seeing Robert Lang come in to my uncles game out in Cranberry PA in like, 98 and score 17 goals. Jerk.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

New gloves (Eagle X89s) came in the other day, haven't used them yet. Was wondering, what does everyone do to take care of their gloves aside from airing them out? Do you put any kind of leather care product on the palms so they'll last longer?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's really not much you can do I don't think. The leather will typically wear out from the constant friction of the end of the stick. I've found using rubber grips from tacki-mac help quite a bit.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Gio posted:

New gloves (Eagle X89s) came in the other day, haven't used them yet. Was wondering, what does everyone do to take care of their gloves aside from airing them out? Do you put any kind of leather care product on the palms so they'll last longer?

With my new Bauer 4Rolls I've been putting odor eaters and a dryer sheet in them as I air them out. It seems to be helping keep the funk down

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

With my new Bauer 4Rolls I've been putting odor eaters and a dryer sheet in them as I air them out. It seems to be helping keep the funk down

I just toss mine in the washing machine once a month. No detergent, just hot water on the delicate style. Still completely odorless.

I also don't let them rot in my bag after a skate, everything gets set out to dry as soon as I get home. I think that helps a lot too.. guys who leave their stuff in their bag are always the stinkiest motherfuckers.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've gone to a sticks and pucks with my brother in law before (current AHL/NHLer) and played a few half rink games against some other kids. Its amazing how much better you feel when a pass hits your stick perfectly every time no matter where you are. And kids get really irritated when they realize the warmup gear he's wearing isn't just because he likes the team, but in fact he actually plays for them.

I also played roller hockey with Colin Greening this summer. The guy was pretty good but luckily the fact that it was inline evened the playing field a bit. He complimented me on my D skills. Apparently for being 5'10" and 160lbs, I play like a bigger guy and I'm annoying to skate up on because I don't buy dekes or pinch early and I have a very active stick. :smug:

He only got through a handful of times but if we were playing full check, I'm sure it would have been a lot more.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

shyguy posted:

There's really not much you can do I don't think. The leather will typically wear out from the constant friction of the end of the stick. I've found using rubber grips from tacki-mac help quite a bit.
Sad to say I haven't thought of this before. I'll give it a shot and see how it works out. Also, I kinda forgot about this place before I bought the gloves.

http://www.hockeyrepair.com/glove_repalming.html

It's actually $30 per glove so it's like ~$70 (including shipping) and whatever it costs to ship them out. So probably more like ~$85-100. Almost better off getting new gloves at that price, really, unless you live by there. Maybe I'll take a road trip there this summer for a Twins-Tigers game and get my (now old) gloves repaired.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

I just toss mine in the washing machine once a month. No detergent, just hot water on the delicate style. Still completely odorless.

I also don't let them rot in my bag after a skate, everything gets set out to dry as soon as I get home. I think that helps a lot too.. guys who leave their stuff in their bag are always the stinkiest motherfuckers.

How are your palms holding up from doing that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

How are your palms holding up from doing that?

I bought them in August, they still look like they're new to me. They're cheapy Bauers.. with that faux-leather stuff they use.

I put all my poo poo through the wash, and the only signs of wear is the velcro tabs are curling quite a bit on my shoulder pads, which makes them a bit annoying.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
I wash my gloves maybe once every three months...I take a different approach though, I throw them in on a gentle cycle, cold water, and with detergent, then let them air dry. I also have a front loading machine (like the kind at laundromats) which I imagine is gentler and less prone to destroying things.

I just washed my shoulder and elbow pads recently too, following hte same method, and it worked great. I'm sure it doesn't help durability, but I've had all this stuff for a year now and it's still going strong. Most of it was low end anyway so if I have to replace it sooner than I would have with no washing, it's not a huge deal to me.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Just remember to hose it down with some quality disinfectant spray -- i've always used the Lysol hospital grade stuff. Washing machine is totally safe for gloves on the gentle cycle if you use them regularly, but if it's just once in a blue moon the washing machine would probably cause them to fall apart faster than they normally would.

The best option is to build a pool, that even made them a bit more white again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I can't imagine putting my gloves in the washing machine. The leather palms are kept feeling new by staying dry. The second you get them wet is when the leather hardens up and becomes stiff. The only way to bring the leather back to its original feel is to apply oil or get them wet again kind of like a chamois you would use to dry a car.

I put everything in the washing machine except gloves, skates and helmet.

Gloves typically last me about a year of playing. If I spend a good deal of money on them, I will re-palm the right and make them last 2 years. Anytime after that, the rest of the glove is falling apart and smells so terrible that new gloves are a godsend.

Also, Easton EQ gloves are the best, but only if they could get the Eagle palms again. So much dexterity.

Aburke27
Aug 2, 2004
HEaoheah
Alabama hockey goon checking in. 4 weeks in to my men's league after taking 2 years off. My team unfortunately is really bad and I am too out of shape to carry them right now. God I love this sport though. I'm only 27 so it didn't take too long to get my edges back.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Speaking of playing with NHLers, I grew up with a kid who just got called up to the Bruins. We played travel baseball together, never hockey though. He was always three levels higher than us. It's still crazy to see him on the ice. And score a goal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The closest I've been to a NHL player in any form was Scott Gomez. :smith:

He went to a neighboring high school and as I was pretty good about going to all hockey games for my high school, I had to have seen him several times. I just never knew who he was until after he got drafted.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I feel disgusting reading everyone's cleaning habits. The only thing I've ever washed hockey-wise were the shirt and shorts I wore under everything. I've never washed anything save for a white jersey now and again - when it turns brown.

I've had the same pads for about nine years now.

The gloves are also nine years old. I see people with busted out palms and wonder how it's done - maybe I've got a really soft grip or something, but mine still look stellar.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I also would have thought that getting the leather palms wet would actually ruin them faster. I know from previous gloves the leather seemed worse although it was cleaner.

I usually just use an antibacterial spray on my helmet, shinguards and pants, odor eaters in the gloves and skates and let everything air out for a couple days

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

I also would have thought that getting the leather palms wet would actually ruin them faster. I know from previous gloves the leather seemed worse although it was cleaner.

Real leather, yes.

Synthetic leather handles washing a lot better.. though it depends on the type of synthetic being used. The stuff used on hockey gloves seems to work fine, my palms are still soft and very much not stinky.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I've met two NHLers, one of them only played a couple of games. Funny thing is I know them both from their time in HV.

It's Mattias Tedenby and Stefan Liv. Yup, that Stefan Liv that died in the Yaroslavl crash. :(

I'm also distantly related(not really) to Mattias Remstam of former HV71, now playing for a small-time team in Sweden. He is my wife's cousin's cousin's cousin. Yeeaaah...

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I'm 2/2 on draws against this guy:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=31049

So I have a 100% faceoff rating against NHL players, no big deal, who's counting?

Also, I tried to fight this guy:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=110227

Luckily for me he told me to gently caress off instead of accepting. It was a short while later that I found out he was drafted by the Oilers and was a WHL goon. Oops. :stare:

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Anyone here done a week long adult hockey camp? If yes, could you recommend a specific one? Yes I know I am a giant manbaby. It's good to be young with disposable income let me tell you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't apologize for being a manbaby, to me, the sole purpose of growing up is so you can afford to be the kid you always wanted to be. :haw:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Rutkowski posted:

It's Mattias Tedenby and Stefan Liv. Yup, that Stefan Liv that died in the Yaroslavl crash. :(
Speaking of which...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/03/red_wings_get_a_visit_from_5-y.html

Also the only "pro" I've played with were a couple of guys who played for the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL. That's about it. Plenty of college players, but no one noteworthy. There were a couple guys I played with growing up who ended up playing major junior, does that count? (They weren't drafted.)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

lizardking posted:

Anyone here done a week long adult hockey camp? If yes, could you recommend a specific one? Yes I know I am a giant manbaby. It's good to be young with disposable income let me tell you.

My upstairs neighbor (I live in a duplex) came home while I was sitting on the patio assembling my new hockey net and now I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm like, mentally a 12 year-old or something.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Edit: wrong thread

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Thufir posted:

My upstairs neighbor (I live in a duplex) came home while I was sitting on the patio assembling my new hockey net and now I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm like, mentally a 12 year-old or something.

Haha. Luckily the only other person in my building also plays hockey, in my league no less. I'm thinking I'll do the Can/Am week camp in Guelph in July since it's not too bad a drive from Ann Arbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My uncle did CanAm Guelph like 15 years ago and seemed to enjoy it.