Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If your MBP came with a Lion USB stick, then boot to the stick and throw the drive in an enclosure. If not, use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant to make a bootable USB stick.

Either way you can use Disk Utility to clone your old drive to your new drive. After that boot to the new drive and set it as the startup disk in System Preferences > Startup Disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Legdiian posted:

Does the box say it requires a G series processor?

NESguerilla posted:

Oh wait yeah it does. Why would it run on older versions of osx then?

NESguerilla posted:

As much as that makes sense to me now that you explain it, I still feel like it's something worth letting consumers know. As someone who rarely plays games on PC I wouldn't have known that in a million years and it's issues like that make me not want to touch PC games with a ten foot pole.

It's a bummer cause I really wanted some nostalgic fun but I am sure Kmart will take it back if I whine hard enough.

I totally understand where you're coming from, and sure a "Won't Run On Lion!" sticker would be a nice warning, but they did let consumers know what it would run on. It specified the OS and the hardware that it would work on.

I'm not arguing that there might not be a better way to do it, but that's how software (or games, at least) have been labeled as long as I can remember. It tells you what platform it runs on/what the system requirements are, and if you buy it without checking or knowing what that means then it's sort of on you.

Edit: I admit I've been guilty of not paying attention to system requirements before, too.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I just wish the original 256 color mode still worked :sigh: all my doom engines used to run so nicely in it.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Bobby Digital posted:

Is five years of Rosetta really that 'cavalier?'

Yes and no.

It's a tiny little app that is incredibly useful to a lot of people. They should have spun it off as an optional, paid, AppStore product.

Everybody wins.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Crackpipe posted:

It's a tiny little app that is incredibly useful to a lot of people. They should have spun it off as an optional, paid, AppStore product.

Except Rosetta isn't Apple's technology to sell, and IBM (who purchased its developer) isn't allowing third parties to license it anymore.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

The fact that you can extract and install Rosetta from the 10.6 DVDs proves there's no technical reason they couldn't have allowed it.
I haven't found anything that proves that actually works and allows execution of PowerPC binaries on Lion in the 5-10 minutes of searching I've done. I did find some people mentioning that they managed to get some allegedly PPC-only installers working, but no actual PPC applications. Maybe it also requires installing PowerPC system libraries as well?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

NESguerilla posted:

Oh wait yeah it does. Why would it run on older versions of osx then?

OS X was initially PPC-only.

Is there some obvious reason I'm unable to boot my MBP from a Windows Defender Offline Beta boot disk? I've tried both USB and DVD, neither is recognized at the disk picker screen.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Trying to forward a port on a Windows application using Parallels is either way over my head, or way too hard to figure out. I'm thinking it's the latter but either way it's beyond frustrating.

The IPv4 address (as shown in Windows Networking properties) is a 192.168.2.* address and yet, my public IP is some random 65.*.*.* address, therefore I'm both lost and confused. Being stupid is hard.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Xithyl posted:

Trying to forward a port on a Windows application using Parallels is either way over my head, or way too hard to figure out. I'm thinking it's the latter but either way it's beyond frustrating.

The IPv4 address (as shown in Windows Networking properties) is a 192.168.2.* address and yet, my public IP is some random 65.*.*.* address, therefore I'm both lost and confused. Being stupid is hard.

192.168.2.* is an internal IP given to you by your router. All the computers/IP devices in your home have that rang. However, to someone like me, trying to contact you through your modem, we use the 65.* number to first go to your modem. Then it goes to your router, and it's up to that to figure out which computer the data goes to. You can specify this by saying "anything on this port goes to 192.168.2.50, which is my gaming rig".

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
The only way Parallels will affect your port forward is if the virtual network adapter is set to Shared or Bridged mode. For port forwarding on a router, you want your VM to be in Bridged mode. Your VM will get an IP address directly from your router, and so then you continue the port forward process as you would for any other computer/device.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

The fact that you can extract and install Rosetta from the 10.6 DVDs

Can you back this up? Because I feel that this is either overstated (you can install rosetta but it won't do anything) or a serious "citation needed" statement.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Anyone have issues with finder just leaving icons suspended mid drag?

Example: I drag a PDF file to a another partition and the finder icon stays suspended where it was being copied into the window. If I close the window the icon stays put and can never be interacted with. It's like the animation for the icon freezes a frame and stays there till OS X is restarted or finder is restarted.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

Except Rosetta isn't Apple's technology to sell, and IBM (who purchased its developer) isn't allowing third parties to license it anymore.

Well poo poo. I didn't know the dev got bought out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Viktor posted:

Anyone have issues with finder just leaving icons suspended mid drag?

Example: I drag a PDF file to a another partition and the finder icon stays suspended where it was being copied into the window. If I close the window the icon stays put and can never be interacted with. It's like the animation for the icon freezes a frame and stays there till OS X is restarted or finder is restarted.

Occasionally, yes. I always forget to check Console.app when it happens and usually end up rebooting.

By occasionally I mean maybe three times since I've had Lion installed.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Ok, kind of a weird issue so I hope this is the right thread. I'm looking for a way to automate passing a password to hdiutil. What I'd ultimately like to do is something like this:
code:
hdiutil attach /path/to/sparsebundle/ "password"
I've been working with python but so far I haven't been able to figure anything out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm afraid I can't really back anything up; I read it on a Canvas user's forum where people said some stuff worked and some stuff didn't.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

angrytech posted:

Ok, kind of a weird issue so I hope this is the right thread. I'm looking for a way to automate passing a password to hdiutil. What I'd ultimately like to do is something like this:
code:
hdiutil attach /path/to/sparsebundle/ "password"
I've been working with python but so far I haven't been able to figure anything out.

Are you logged in when this is being run? If you store the password for the disk in your login keychain, it should look it up automatically (assuming you haven't changed any settings for said keychain). If not, there should be an Expect module/library for Python that will let you do this.

edit: oh actually, looks like 10.7 has Expect installed already. I don't think older versions of Mac OS X do, but I could be wrong.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 29, 2011

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
On mac office 14.1.3, when I've got got a line graph with the axis in the middle of the graph , how do I go about moving the x-axis information down outside of the plotted data, as right+click format axis doesn't seem to give me any sound options? :downs:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there anyway to port an Access database to something I can use on a Mac? I want to upgrade my dads business desktop(a dell still running xp) to an iMac but we use Access for our container database.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I'm afraid I can't really back anything up; I read it on a Canvas user's forum where people said some stuff worked and some stuff didn't.
If that's the case I'm guessing it would have to do with something like kode54 suggested:

kode54 posted:

Maybe it also requires installing PowerPC system libraries as well?
I think part of Rosetta was having PPC versions of pretty much everything needed to run an app (while using some native UI stuff on top or something), so perhaps some basic stuff without too many dependencies on other system parts could potentially work.

KidDynamite posted:

Is there anyway to port an Access database to something I can use on a Mac? I want to upgrade my dads business desktop(a dell still running xp) to an iMac but we use Access for our container database.
DB stuff is over my head, but maybe look into SQL solutions?

From a quick search it sounds like OpenOffice can work with Access but hell if I know if it would actually work properly or be reliable.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

My macbook has been slowly grinding to a halt lately. I'll turn it on, and after a while (between an hour to 4 hours or so) it'll just freeze up. I can move the mouse cursor around, but can't really click on anything. If I right click to force quit a program (like itunes or something), then after about a minute the dialog will show up, and even after it quits, my computer is still going super slow.

When I restart everything goes back to normal.

I checked activity monitor. I constantly have about 80mb of free memory sitting there, and then when it gets down to about 6mb then everything just stops. I'm assuming that has something to do with it.

Right now I have 512mb wired, 967mb active, 459 inactive, 1.92gb used. I don't know why the inactive memory is just sitting there doing nothing.

For reference my macbook is about 3.5 years old, running version 10.7.2. I have about 4gb of hard disk space open, but even when I had about 15gb it still did this.

Any ideas?

edit: I had iTunes, Chrome, Skype, Adium, Vienna, TextEdit, and Thunderbird open the last time this happened. Was just browsing when it happened.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Are you logged in when this is being run? If you store the password for the disk in your login keychain, it should look it up automatically (assuming you haven't changed any settings for said keychain). If not, there should be an Expect module/library for Python that will let you do this.

edit: oh actually, looks like 10.7 has Expect installed already. I don't think older versions of Mac OS X do, but I could be wrong.

I'm logged in as a different user, so it won't automatically unlock.
I've attempted it with pexpect, but the documentation is pretty sparse so I was hoping there was a simple thing I was missing.
Next step is "echo password | hdiutil attach /blah/blah/blah" and then after that I'll learn TCL.

edit: Got into work and "echo `password` | hdiutil attach /path/to/sparsebundle" works. Looks like I'll be doing this using shell scripting.

angrytech fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 29, 2011

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

KidDynamite posted:

Easiest option is Filemaker
http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/

You'll have to dump the Access DB into some Filemaker friendly format, then import it into Filemaker. Their help site has some info on this.

You might also be able to use Bento, which is also a Filemaker product. It's meant to be a really simple personal database, and may or may not work for your needs. Check it out, though
http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/
http://www.bentotrial.com/bbo/

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I just bought an Air and want to stream videos from my iMac through my router. What's the best way to do this?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Is there any MP3 tagging program for the Mac that even comes close to rivaling, or simply working in the same way, MP3Tag or Tag&Rename do for the PC? It seems like a real struggle to find a good, fast, comprehensive and effective tagging program for the Mac.

I mean, I could use Parallels, but I figure there has to be something somewhere.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Xithyl posted:

Is there any MP3 tagging program for the Mac that even comes close to rivaling, or simply working in the same way, MP3Tag or Tag&Rename do for the PC? It seems like a real struggle to find a good, fast, comprehensive and effective tagging program for the Mac.

I mean, I could use Parallels, but I figure there has to be something somewhere.
In all honesty, TuneUp is all I ever wanted from a tagging app and more. It's pretty phenomenal from my experience so far.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
I was hoping not to have to drop $50, but it looks like maybe that's my only option. In terms of how it works, am I able to edit some tag features by myself, or is the majority of the program based on automation?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, just downloaded something in Xvid format and I'm looking for a safe, free codec for my iMac running Lion 10.7.2

Thanks in advance.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, just downloaded something in Xvid format and I'm looking for a safe, free codec for my iMac running Lion 10.7.2

Thanks in advance.

http://perian.org/

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

When Time Machine is backing up, I get a rotating arrow icon randomly bleeding through whatever application I'm looking at. I can reproduce it at will by forcing a Time Machine "Back Up Now". While this screenshot is of Firefox, it will display on any application I try.

Is there any way to disable this? It's kind of distracting even if it's only up for a few seconds an hour on a typical incremental backup.

I can swear that this never happened until a few days ago, but maybe I've just noticed it for the first time?

e: I'd even just be curious if anyone else who runs Time Machine sees this -- I couldn't find a whole lot on Google.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 31, 2011

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Xithyl posted:

I was hoping not to have to drop $50, but it looks like maybe that's my only option. In terms of how it works, am I able to edit some tag features by myself, or is the majority of the program based on automation?
Yea, I got a free code through my work so I'm definitely biased in favour : > It's pretty much all automatic, you can choose to exclude certain fields from being changed but you can't do anything on the level of %n - %x style renaming rules that I remember from Tag&Rename. Am I right in thinking there's a demo you can try?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MrChupon posted:

When Time Machine is backing up, I get a rotating arrow icon randomly bleeding through whatever application I'm looking at.
That's weird as balls and shouldn't be happening at all. It persists after a reboot?

All I can think of is if maybe there's an application running but not having the window drawn properly that's causing some weird graphical thing like that. Maybe try clearing your saved application state folder?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

TACD posted:

That's weird as balls and shouldn't be happening at all. It persists after a reboot?

All I can think of is if maybe there's an application running but not having the window drawn properly that's causing some weird graphical thing like that. Maybe try clearing your saved application state folder?

:doh: I probably should have tried a reboot before posting. This is my first Mac and I have to reboot so rarely compared to Windows that I didn't even think of it. That indeed solved the problem, so I'll chalk it up to a random application causing strange draw issues. Thanks for the help!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I mean that still shouldn't be happening. I was going to suggest filing a bug but if it doesn't persist through a reboot then it's probably such an edge scenario that you'll never see it again.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Hey, I had that happen once too and with Firefox as well. Never managed to reproduce it though, so didn't bother reporting it to Apple.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Xithyl posted:

I use The Tagger (http://deadbeatsw.com/thetagger/) because I much prefer the use of Discogs for metadata combined with the way it populates things like Album Artist fields etc. It's a little more manual in that it doesn't auto-tag and you have to perform a search yourself, but to be honest that's much better for my needs - it infuriates me to find that an album has been tagged incorrectly because of regional release differences, remastering, etc.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Xithyl posted:

I had the same dilemma when I moved to OS X, and after finding no good free alternative to Tag&Rename, I ended up ponying the cash for MediaRage, which does everything Tag&Rename does, and used it for a while, but found the interface to not be to my liking. Eventually I found and settled on MusicBrainz Picard, which is free and completely automatic (when correctly identifies the music, which in my experience has been >90% of the time).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

I just bought an Air and want to stream videos from my iMac through my router. What's the best way to do this?
Do you mean locally or remotely? Locally you could just turn file sharing on on the iMac, mount the share on the Air to access anything, then use whatever video player you want on the Air.

Remotely is a bit trickier mainly cause your connection may not have the bandwidth necessary to play your videos (depending on the videos and connection of course), and mounting your share remotely usually involves some more steps with regards to router setup and ideally some more security measures.

Or just get something like StreamToMe...which is basically a port from iOS so the UI is kind of weird on a desktop, but it works. The server app does transcoding to deal with lower bandwidth situations, and does UPnP/NAT-PMP for opening whatever ports on your router. I assume there are other similar apps (god knows there are a bunch on iOS) but that's the only one I remember for Mac off the top of my head.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Stupid "Numbers" question

Is there a way to number a column of cells 1- 5000 without using a formula?

In Excel, it will rather intelligent realize that you want to add a numbering column when you select the first few cells that are labeled "1, 2, 3, 4" and fill in the rest with appropriate numbers.

There does not seem to be a way to do this in Numbers.

Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cyne posted:

http://perian.org/

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.