Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

I don't even want to ask why you want RHEL5 instead of 6, but the steps are basically the same.

Curriculum and shooting target for Network security classes.

Yeah looks like there is support for an orchestrator method; I wasn't sure if anyone had done it.

E: it's RHEL 5.6 so it's somewhat modern

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Curriculum and shooting target for Network security classes.

Yeah looks like there is support for an orchestrator method; I wasn't sure if anyone had done it.

E: it's RHEL 5.6 so it's somewhat modern

It's so easy to script yourself from a template or "golden" image to clone from that there's almost no reason to muck with vButt, vOrchestrator or vAnythingButCenterToProvidePowerCLIAPI

I guess I'm asking about 5 vs 6 only because you're looking to set up something which can be reset and reused over the course of semesters/years, and 5 is going the way of the dodo sooner rather than later, and you're talking about moving (so it's unclear who'd upgrade the environment if they wanted to move to 6), but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you're talking about a target to try to harden for infosec classes.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

It's so easy to script yourself from a template or "golden" image to clone from that there's almost no reason to muck with vButt, vOrchestrator or vAnythingButCenterToProvidePowerCLIAPI
No I am going to give it a shot scripting it, I am just interested in the orchestrator method as well.

quote:

I guess I'm asking about 5 vs 6 only because you're looking to set up something which can be reset and reused over the course of semesters/years, and 5 is going the way of the dodo sooner rather than later, and you're talking about moving (so it's unclear who'd upgrade the environment if they wanted to move to 6), but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you're talking about a target to try to harden for infosec classes.

I agree with you but I am not planning to move unless I can get a garunteed job somewhere else, moving and YOLO'ing isn't exactly how I'd like to do it. I would like to hit 25, with some ample savings then choose the best option.

5.6, yes I agree 6.x is great, but this is for the UNIX 1 course, where they learn bash, scripting, and some of the syntax. It's 5.6 because the current curriculum works with 5.6 and 6.x doesn't offer much over what the students can't get in 5.x, and UNIX 1 never goes into the deep features of RHEL 6.x; that is for UNIX 2 the RHCSA course. Right now it is the pilot stage, so yes while I could use 6.5(is that the latest?) I couldn't go back to the directors and go "here is a 1:1 of how poo poo worked". I'd like to change as little as possible to how the course is taught/interacted so I can focus on showing how well the course worked with my design improvements, then come back to the "let's use 6.x". Right now it is a burden for teachers wanting to upgrade and setup the environment, with my vAPP or linked clones it is much easier.

It's really not my say to waltz into the *nix teachers and tell them to upgrade, but doing it this way does help reduce quite a bit of the burden on the teachers for setting up labs and such; thus making updating a more viable and appealing task.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 29, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jre posted:

Might want to turn off cloud 2 butt before posting/

I appreciate it because there is no version of Cloud to Butt that works with the Awful app

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

I just wanted to reiterate that there is nothing wrong if you understand the caveats with 5.x, and that it may even be a good thing for infosec, and it isn't worth retraining. I only asked initially because it's weird to see someone ask about 5.x in 2013. Nothing wrong with it, no criticisms, nothing to see here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Instead of having each of our 6 VLAN's on their own NIC to just bond them all together and make a vSwitch or something that contains them all? Is there an article that explains this a little bit more? It just seems wasteful to do it that way when we have very little traffic on two of them.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Instead of having each of our 6 VLAN's on their own NIC to just bond them all together and make a vSwitch or something that contains them all? Is there an article that explains this a little bit more? It just seems wasteful to do it that way when we have very little traffic on two of them.

I guess your real question is what each of those VLANs is doing. The canonical way is basically:

If the VLANs are for vMotion, svMotion, storage, vmkernel, or management, segregate them enough that you can jack up the MTU and that high traffic on one won't bother guest traffic, storage, vMotion, or management. This usually means physical NICs the way you have them.

If the VLANs are for guest traffic and you have enough traffic on any VLAN to saturate a link, it should get its own NIC or two, depending on traffic.

If there's not that much guest traffic, usage is irregular, or whatever, bond everything and assign VLANs in the guests.

Without knowing your current setup or needs, it's hard to say.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Bob Morales posted:

Most hypervisors support 802.1q vlan tagging. If you were building an ESXi server you'll probably want to configure the switchports your ESXi server is plugged into as VLAN trunk ports and add all your VLANs. Then on the ESXi side create a portgroup for each of your VLANs.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I Am Not A Network Engineer, but I was wondering here: What if you did aggregate the physical links after all, and used QoS to prioritize or limit bandwidth for each VLAN accordingly? Also, if I'm not mistaken, vSphere 5.5 dvSwitches support DSCP. Are these things helpful enough, or a better practice, or should links indeed be separated because this perhaps introduces too much configuration complexity?
I also suppose VMware NSX will up-end all of this as well.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
You can do via PG on a vDS limiting ingress/egress traffic traffic, VSS's do egress only IIRC.

You'd then tag the PG's with vlan's as 101 was saying.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I was trying to rsynch my roommate's movie folder share from his ESXi box to mine, but for whatever reason instead of going to the 4TB RDM I have set up on my linux VM the movies started copying over to my datastore. I read somewhere that ESXi likes to store everything on the datastore before moving it over to the RDM to prevent the loss or corruption of any data. Has anyone ever heard of this, is that correct, and is there a fix so that my 300GB datastore drive doesn't get killed by trying to rsynch 2.5TB of movies?

And in other news I have the components for a home NAS coming early next week - I had a machine with a Core2Duo sitting around collecting dust, so I ordered some additional RAM and a 4-in-3 drive enclosure and I'm going to build me a Frankenstein box and throw FreeNAS on it and go to town with 4x2TB Seagate NAS drives. I'm pretty excited to play with it in ESXi and can't wait to see how it performs on my network.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 30, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
What??
I think you want to use the Linux Guest OS to do the actual file copying so it ends up stored inside the virtual disk. Does your friend have an NFS share or something? Mount that in Linux and copy it into your RDM that way.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Kachunkachunk posted:

What??
I think you want to use the Linux Guest OS to do the actual file copying so it ends up stored inside the virtual disk. Does your friend have an NFS share or something? Mount that in Linux and copy it into your RDM that way.

Sorry, I phrased that incorrectly. I have 2x2TB LUNs in a RAID-0 attached to my Linux VM using RDM. In a putty session I ran rsynch on my VM, but instead of copying the files to the RAID, it instead copied the files to my datastore. I'm not sure if I made a mistake in the configuration or not and would appreciate some pointers on where to start looking.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Sorry, I phrased that incorrectly. I have 2x2TB LUNs in a RAID-0 attached to my Linux VM using RDM. In a putty session I ran rsynch on my VM, but instead of copying the files to the RAID, it instead copied the files to my datastore. I'm not sure if I made a mistake in the configuration or not and would appreciate some pointers on where to start looking.

So you're saying you have ESXi host "A", and your roommate has ESXi host "B". You have VM "A1" running on "A" with your RDM RAID 0 attached and he has VM "B1" running on "B" with some sort of storage that doesn't really matter here.

You want to copy files from "B1" to "A1", so you logged in to "A1" and ran an rsync connecting to "B1". Somehow those files ended up on "A"'s datastore instead of inside the filesystem "A1" has on the RDM RAID.

Is that correct?

goffries
Feb 1, 2005
I was recently thrown into a virtualization project due to me knowing more than nothing about the process, but the environment they want created is fairly large and I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

I am deploying a new VMM 2012 R2 server with 44 2012 r2 hyper-v hosts, each have a quad port nic and 2 onboard nics, all ports for all hosts are on the same vlan and subnet. I have been reading some blogs about SCVMM best practices and one of the primary things it says is try to separate out different types of traffic using VMM. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a dud when it comes to networking and i was hoping someone could help simplify the process.

If all the hosts are on the same vlan and subnet how can you separate out the live migration traffic from the host management and guest traffic?

I do not have any control over the switches at my company and I would like to be able to avoid any direct manipulation of them.

We are not doing any Iscsi traffic, all hosts are in 5 node clusters. There will be between 4 to 8 guests per host.

If any additional info is needed i would be happy to provide.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

So you're saying you have ESXi host "A", and your roommate has ESXi host "B". You have VM "A1" running on "A" with your RDM RAID 0 attached and he has VM "B1" running on "B" with some sort of storage that doesn't really matter here.

You want to copy files from "B1" to "A1", so you logged in to "A1" and ran an rsync connecting to "B1". Somehow those files ended up on "A"'s datastore instead of inside the filesystem "A1" has on the RDM RAID.

Is that correct?

Exactly. I thought I'd read somewhere that ESXi likes to make sure that 100% of the data gets transferred without error, so it temporarily stores it on the datastore before handing it off to the RDM RAID, but since I only have 300GB of space on the datastore and I'm transferring 2.5TB of data what instead happens is that I get a critical error about running out of space and my VM shuts down. I fixed the VM issue by deleting all snapshots, but I need to figure out how to avoid the files synchronizing to the datastore instead of just going straight to the RDM RAID. At least, that's what I think - I'm just guessing here.

NYFreddy
Feb 16, 2009
I'm looking to build a hybrid ESXi / HTPC server and I'm want to get GPU passthrough working. The ESXi server will be serving mostly light weight duties so I'd like to also use it as an HTPC. I've decided on the following parts:

ASRock E3C226D2i
Xeon e3-1240v3 OEM
16 GB ECC DDR3 Unbuffered
Spare SSD or USB drive for ESXi install

I'm trying to figure out which video card to grab. I was hoping someone has done this before and could recommend a well supported graohics card. The most strenuous thing I'll be doing is pushing 1080p video to a 1080p display so almost any video card should do. The ASRock board doesn't support Intel graphics and has a weak GPU for IPMI.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

NYFreddy posted:

I'm looking to build a hybrid ESXi / HTPC server and I'm want to get GPU passthrough working. The ESXi server will be serving mostly light weight duties so I'd like to also use it as an HTPC. I've decided on the following parts:

ASRock E3C226D2i
Xeon e3-1240v3 OEM
16 GB ECC DDR3 Unbuffered
Spare SSD or USB drive for ESXi install

I'm trying to figure out which video card to grab. I was hoping someone has done this before and could recommend a well supported graohics card. The most strenuous thing I'll be doing is pushing 1080p video to a 1080p display so almost any video card should do. The ASRock board doesn't support Intel graphics and has a weak GPU for IPMI.

This doesn't work the way you think it does (and IPMI is wholly independent of the GPU).

Make sure the motherboard supports VT-d.
Make sure the motherboard supports VT-d
Make sure the motherboard supports VT-d

Not VT-x, though you need that, too.

Get any GPU you want. Pass it through to a guest with VT-d.

Consider using Linux+KVM, Xen, Hyper-V, or a Raspberry Pi. ESXi+pass through works if you have to do it, but it's frankly not the best solution for hypervisor+htpc

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Exactly. I thought I'd read somewhere that ESXi likes to make sure that 100% of the data gets transferred without error, so it temporarily stores it on the datastore before handing it off to the RDM RAID, but since I only have 300GB of space on the datastore and I'm transferring 2.5TB of data what instead happens is that I get a critical error about running out of space and my VM shuts down. I fixed the VM issue by deleting all snapshots, but I need to figure out how to avoid the files synchronizing to the datastore instead of just going straight to the RDM RAID. At least, that's what I think - I'm just guessing here.

If the files are ending up as files in VMFS, I'm sorry but I have to think you're doing something wrong. As far as I'm aware the guests have no ability to see VMFS, nor is ESXi aware of the filesystems in use on RDM disks, so I really can't think of any way this is happening without an error in your rsync command or the terminal you selected to run that command resulting in the files being rsynced to ESX rather than to the guest.

Or are you just assuming they're landing in the datastore because you're getting the out of space error?

Does your VM have any sparse provisioned disks within the datastore, where the apparent size would exceed the datastore free space if it was to be filled? Could the VM be caching received files there before writing to the RDM partition, thus causing it to balloon up and run you out of space?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 2, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I was trying to rsynch my roommate's movie folder share from his ESXi box to mine, but for whatever reason instead of going to the 4TB RDM I have set up on my linux VM the movies started copying over to my datastore. I read somewhere that ESXi likes to store everything on the datastore before moving it over to the RDM to prevent the loss or corruption of any data. Has anyone ever heard of this, is that correct, and is there a fix so that my 300GB datastore drive doesn't get killed by trying to rsynch 2.5TB of movies?

And in other news I have the components for a home NAS coming early next week - I had a machine with a Core2Duo sitting around collecting dust, so I ordered some additional RAM and a 4-in-3 drive enclosure and I'm going to build me a Frankenstein box and throw FreeNAS on it and go to town with 4x2TB Seagate NAS drives. I'm pretty excited to play with it in ESXi and can't wait to see how it performs on my network.

Can't you just setup some VM Freenas NFS media server, mount it to that box and then just do a straight up copy?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I must be missing something, but is there an easy way to create a bunch of linked clones in vSphere? I'm setting up a test environment for a project I'm working on, and it would be nice to save the storage space. Hyper-V calls them differencing disks I think, I'm looking for the same thing basically. One master image and then just the deltas for each VM elsewhere.

May 14, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I must be missing something, but is there an easy way to create a bunch of linked clones in vSphere? I'm setting up a test environment for a project I'm working on, and it would be nice to save the storage space. Hyper-V calls them differencing disks I think, I'm looking for the same thing basically. One master image and then just the deltas for each VM elsewhere.

PowerCLI New-VM has an option to create a linked clone. Also vCenter orchestrator has the capability to provision VMs based on linked clones.

edit: it's not exposed in the vsphere client or the web client by design.

1000101 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 2, 2013

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
VMware is doing some cool sales this week, up to 35% off Workstation/Fusion. vSphere Essentials for $504 as well.

http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/Content/pbPage.CyberWeek&src=eBIZ_Email_Workstation10_CyberWeek_CLICK-HERE-TO_11-30_US

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Can't you just setup some VM Freenas NFS media server, mount it to that box and then just do a straight up copy?

I was trying to mirror my roommate's setup, and from everything that we can tell (other than me using a generation newer) it's all set up the same. Since I've got the parts coming to build a NAS I'm not going to stress over it too much right now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if I'm blind or what but I can't find any place to download SNMP MIB files to define the OIDs that ESXi spits out.

I'm pretty sure every google search tells me to download the management SDK but I can't find any MIB files in there :confused:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

I don't know if I'm blind or what but I can't find any place to download SNMP MIB files to define the OIDs that ESXi spits out.

I'm pretty sure every google search tells me to download the management SDK but I can't find any MIB files in there :confused:

The vSphere Web Services SDK is correct. I'd give you a link, but communities.vmware seems to be down...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No worries, I'll find it. I thought I downloaded it today but it was just full of WSDL templates and such. Definitely not what I was looking for. Of course, VMware's site is laid out so poorly that I probably downloaded the wrong thing entirely.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
http://ramses.smeyers.be/blog/?p=37

Anyone have some more metrics on the E1000 vs the E1000E? I'm a bit surprised I haven't been using it more as oppose to the E1000.

Also fun side note: ESXI 5.5 will not install with less than 4GB of installed memory

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 7, 2013

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Anyone have some more metrics on the E1000 vs the E1000E? I'm a bit surprised I haven't been using it more as oppose to the E1000.
We have generally used the vnxnet driver. Why use either the e1000 or the e1000e if you don't have to?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

We have generally used the vnxnet driver. Why use either the e1000 or the e1000e if you don't have to?

yeah no I'm all for the VMXnet adapter as well, but some things like nested ESX or some *nix distro's the native intel driver is nice.

May 14, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I was trying to mirror my roommate's setup, and from everything that we can tell (other than me using a generation newer) it's all set up the same. Since I've got the parts coming to build a NAS I'm not going to stress over it too much right now.

Setup your RDM as physical mode not virtual. That's probably why you see the RDM vmdk stub growing. I'm guessing you had it snapshotted at the time?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

1000101 posted:

Setup your RDM as physical mode not virtual. That's probably why you see the RDM vmdk stub growing. I'm guessing you had it snapshotted at the time?

Not sure if I did or not, although deleting all snapshots fixed the free space issue and allowed me to restart the Linux VM. It's academic at this point, however, since my FreeNAS server is up and running and working like a charm. I'm very pleased with how everything worked out, but I definitely want to try and incorporate shared storage - I might go ahead and build another box in a few months so that I can try that out and have another storage server.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I decided to install ESXi 5.5 (I guess vSphere Hypervisor now?) because I've never used a bare-metal hypervisor and it looked neat. The install went fine but apparently I can't manage it directly, but need to install an admin client elsewhere? So I installed vSphere client on a WinXP VM but apparently 1) vSphere Client doesn't work on XP and 2) doesn't support everything ESXi 5.5 does? So even if I installed a newer Windows I still couldn't manage everything?

Are you really supposed to be able to use ESXi for free? Or can I not really use it unless I buy some admin console thing? Is there some other way of managing it (like a web UI or Linux binaries or something)? I clearly have no idea how I am supposed to use ESXi. :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

What's your goal in using VMware ESXi? You're right that it's not meant to be managed directly from the console and you need to load the management client on another machine. It's definitely not a product in the same space as something like VMware Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox which I (maybe wrongly) get the impression you're looking for. For any non-toy use it's meant to be licensed and then used to run dozens to thousands of VM's, and yes you will need to pay for that functionality.

Mostly unrelated but I'm not sure why the Christ you expect anything to support Win XP in 2013, it's more than 12 years old :corsair:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Docjowles posted:

Mostly unrelated but I'm not sure why the Christ you expect anything to support Win XP in 2013, it's more than 12 years old :corsair:

Funny enough, I'm waiting on management to provide me with an XP key so I can do an install on an i7 machine.

I don't even know if this is going to work.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

For any non-toy use it's meant to be licensed and then used to run dozens to thousands of VM's, and yes you will need to pay for that functionality.

1) we use the free version of ESXi for many projects which do not warrant the fully licensed features.
2) I have vendors who still only support Windows XP and Office 2000 for their products.... :(

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Docjowles posted:

What's your goal in using VMware ESXi? You're right that it's not meant to be managed directly from the console and you need to load the management client on another machine. It's definitely not a product in the same space as something like VMware Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox which I (maybe wrongly) get the impression you're looking for. For any non-toy use it's meant to be licensed and then used to run dozens to thousands of VM's, and yes you will need to pay for that functionality.

The only thing this computer is going to do is host VMs so it seemed silly to install Linux and KVM or VMWare (or whatever) when I'll never use the base OS for anything. I assumed I could admin a single ESXi easily, but maybe not? Are you saying the vSphere Client works well as long as I use something newer than XP? Or don't bother with ESXi unless I'm going to fork out for the real client admin tools?

The only Windows licenses I have handy are XP licenses and I figured the client is just configuring the server, why does that require a new version of Windows? (Apparently it's related to the supported SSL ciphers in XP?)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We use free ESXi for pretty much all of our clients. You can still manage pretty much everything in the client still these days. Most of the features that are in the Web client only are geared towards vCenter deployments.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Ninja Rope posted:

2) doesn't support everything ESXi 5.5 does?
Yeah 5.5 is a bit of a red headed step child at the moment, for about 98% of the things you can do with the free version of ESXi your windows client will work. Just do not upgrade the VM virtual hardware to 10.

quote:

Are you really supposed to be able to use ESXi for free? Or can I not really use it unless I buy some admin console thing? Is there some other way of managing it (like a web UI or Linux binaries or something)? I clearly have no idea how I am supposed to use ESXi. :(

The management piece called vCenter allows for more options as you get different licensing levels. For the free version, aside from upgrading the virtual hardware to 10 you can do pretty much everything you need to do.

I'm interested to see what they do for 6.0, I wonder if they will make a "free vcenter" or just intergrate it with player/workstation. I'm also interested to see what they do about VUM seeing as it is still dependent on a windows install for ?????

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't see any way of them avoiding releasing a "free vCenter" as a virtual center appliance, unless they are planning on running web and management within ESXi itself, which I highly doubt will happen.