Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Labradoodle posted:

There's also the important point to be made, that at this point it's very likely that the military is the only thing holding the government back from drastic price adjustments to household staples, gas and the exchange rate. They've been flirting with these ideas for a while, but the military oversees smuggling through the borders in broad daylight and the exchange rate differentials make it the most loving lucrative business ever.

There's also a national consensus that raising gas prices was one of the detonants of the Caracazo, a series of violent protests that ocurred in 1989 where over 300 civilians were killed by security forces, so the whole subject has become taboo in venezuelan politics, even if everyone knows that at some point someone is gonna have to do it.

The government has been playing lots of TV and radio ads saying how gasoline is so cheap and how a raise in the price is needed yadayada

The price increase is coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HorseLord posted:

Just another fascist movement ran on US Dollars and british guns. How do you feel about chupa chups? Solid oak furniture?

lol you're literally borneo jimmy the 2nd

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

El Hefe posted:

The government has been playing lots of TV and radio ads saying how gasoline is so cheap and how a raise in the price is needed yadayada

The price increase is coming

Honestly I avoid national TV like the plague. But you just know they're sweating their asses over the idea, I mean, they've been mentioning it on and off again for years so they must be nervous as hell about finally implementing it and probably still want to push it for as long as humanly possible (though with no new chinese lifelines, it can't be long now).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Labradoodle posted:

There's also the important point to be made, that at this point it's very likely that the military is the only thing holding the government back from drastic price adjustments to household staples, gas and the exchange rate. They've been flirting with these ideas for a while, but the military oversees smuggling through the borders in broad daylight and the exchange rate differentials make it the most loving lucrative business ever.

There's also a national consensus that raising gas prices was one of the detonants of the Caracazo, a series of violent protests that ocurred in 1989 where over 300 civilians were killed by security forces, so the whole subject has become taboo in venezuelan politics, even if everyone knows that at some point someone is gonna have to do it.
Is the view that the military is holding the price adjustments back widespread? How well-known is the fact that the military is so thoroughly corrupt? I mean on an institutional level, everyone always knows someone who knows someone who's a corrupt officer, but is that abstracted to the armed forces as a whole or do they preserve the veneer of national service etc. etc.? I'm asking because the last thing you want in a situation like this is for a price adjustment to go completely tits-up (exactly like the Caracazo) and then have people come out of the woodwork saying "oh well the military was against it!!!" and just feed the cycle of terrible confrontational politics for a whole new decade.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Is the view that the military is holding the price adjustments back widespread? How well-known is the fact that the military is so thoroughly corrupt? I mean on an institutional level, everyone always knows someone who knows someone who's a corrupt officer, but is that abstracted to the armed forces as a whole or do they preserve the veneer of national service etc. etc.? I'm asking because the last thing you want in a situation like this is for a price adjustment to go completely tits-up (exactly like the Caracazo) and then have people come out of the woodwork saying "oh well the military was against it!!!" and just feed the cycle of terrible confrontational politics for a whole new decade.

Everyone knows the military are the main smugglers in the country

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Don't be dishonest. Both of them fall under the category of "obvious loons" that I specifically excluded from my comments.

So in my post making fun of the crazy people in this thread you decided that I was actually referring to the not crazy people? Both Labradoodle and Chuck Boone have answered a number of questions I've had over the last year and I'm very appreciative of the effort posts they made in this thread. If you think I was calling the posters like that reactionaries then I'm gonna fall back on my previous position and say your head is wedged firmly up your own rear end.

If you want to play the game of offended sanctimonious anger then pick a fight with HorseLord or BorneoJimmy, it will probably be much more enjoyable for both of you.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Now that the spat with the United States appears to be over, Maduro has decided to take issue with Spain.

Yesterday, the Spanish lower house issued a statement calling for the release of Leopoldo Lopez, Antonio Ledezma, and others they consider to be "political prisoners" in the country.

Last night, Maduro went on his television show (En Contacto con Maduro) and said this:

quote:

Venezuela will not allow itself to be assaulted by Spanish courts and a thousand courts from Madrid. That’s what I’m announcing, and I’m ready to fight against Madrid. If they look for us, they will find us. They found us. That’s what I’m saying. [Prime Minister] Rajoy, your abuses will end. Let all of Spain know it. Let the courts give their opinions. You can have an opinion about your mothers, but you can’t have an opinion about Venezuela. That’s enough. Abusive Spanish court, corrupt elite.
(...)
Don’t pick fights with Venezuela. I want to have good relations. That’s enough. How much more will we endure abuses, contempt, racism. Rajoy is a rolo e’ racista [roughly, “really racist”]. But he has historic racism. Social racism… he’s behind all of the manoeuvres, all of the plays and disgusting moves against Venezuela. Racist, corrupt elite.
Today, Foreign Minister Delcy Rodriguez met with the Spanish ambassador in Caracas, and she said that the government was set to announce a review of Spain-Venezuela relations. Maduro hinted that "measures" would be taken against Madrid, although what these measures might be is not exactly clear at the moment.

Madrid has recently come to the forefront of PSUV conspiracy theories. The government argues that there's a Madrid-Miami-Bogota axis that finances the Venezuelan opposition and the psychological/media/economic war against the country.

A really interesting facet of Maduro's tenure is his government's obsession with "respect" for the Venezuela people, its dignity and sovereignty (whatever that means). Maduro will often invoke this idea of respect when talking about anyone who speaks out against his government. A phrase he often repeats is, "Venezuela se respeta!" [Venezuela must be respected!]. It's interesting that while he claims to hold "respect" as sacrosanct, he doesn't bat an eye when it comes to saying whatever he wants about anybody he wants.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PerpetualSelf posted:

How have Arab countries avoided these issues?

By collapsing.

I'd contrast Venezuela's course with Nigeria, more so than Ukraine. Similar economic and insurgent problems exist in Nigeria as in Venezuela, if not moreso due to the failure of Boko Haram to completely co-opt the Nigerian government as FARC in Venezuela. Due to continued devotion to democracy, Nigeria is in a much better position to weather out an era of low oil prices than Venezuela. Ultimately, I see no way for Venezuela to avoid a similar security situation as Nigeria, and would much rather the M. Discordia's emerge victorious from it than the Borneo Jimmy's.

Chuck Boone posted:

Now that the spat with the United States appears to be over, Maduro has decided to take issue with Spain.

Yesterday, the Spanish lower house issued a statement calling for the release of Leopoldo Lopez, Antonio Ledezma, and others they consider to be "political prisoners" in the country.

Last night, Maduro went on his television show (En Contacto con Maduro) and said this:

Today, Foreign Minister Delcy Rodriguez met with the Spanish ambassador in Caracas, and she said that the government was set to announce a review of Spain-Venezuela relations. Maduro hinted that "measures" would be taken against Madrid, although what these measures might be is not exactly clear at the moment.

Madrid has recently come to the forefront of PSUV conspiracy theories. The government argues that there's a Madrid-Miami-Bogota axis that finances the Venezuelan opposition and the psychological/media/economic war against the country.

A really interesting facet of Maduro's tenure is his government's obsession with "respect" for the Venezuela people, its dignity and sovereignty (whatever that means). Maduro will often invoke this idea of respect when talking about anyone who speaks out against his government. A phrase he often repeats is, "Venezuela se respeta!" [Venezuela must be respected!]. It's interesting that while he claims to hold "respect" as sacrosanct, he doesn't bat an eye when it comes to saying whatever he wants about anybody he wants.

Maduro sounds like quite the Ghaddafi-esque dictator.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 15, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

My Imaginary GF posted:

By collapsing.

I'd contrast Venezuela's course with Nigeria, more so than Ukraine. Similar economic and insurgent problems exist in Nigeria as in Venezuela, if not moreso due to the failure of Boko Haram to completely co-opt the Nigerian government as FARC in Venezuela. Due to continued devotion to democracy, Nigeria is in a much better position to weather out an era of low oil prices than Venezuela. Ultimately, I see no way for Venezuela to avoid a similar security situation as Nigeria, and would much rather the M. Discordia's emerge victorious from it than the Borneo Jimmy's.

Maduro sounds like quite the Ghaddafi-esque dictator.

lol

d&d is amazing

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I told you guys that MIGF would be the perfect mod for LF 2: Reactionary Bugaloo.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
It sounds like they are getting ready to push dollarization as a last hope punt.

The hard reality of those $40 a month salaries are going to make things interesting though.

Maduro is also talking about "Radicalizing the Revolucion." and "Forming Round Tables to Debate Radicalizing the Revolution"

Sounds pretty scary to me. Wonder what we will be getting. Another Hundred Flowers Campaign?

In good news since we talk so much about Colombia in this thread 3 major important Political figures from Alvaro Uribe's inner circle were found guilty and sentenced to 5-6 years for their role in the Yidispolitica scandal that involved bribing Senators to vote in favor of approval of a reelection law back during his first term.

PerpetualSelf fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 16, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

PerpetualSelf posted:

"Forming Round Tables to Debate Radicalizing the Revolution"

modernleftism.txt

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
wait, is the Maduro government seriously considering dollarization? That would be utterly astonishing.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

ronya posted:

wait, is the Maduro government seriously considering dollarization? That would be utterly astonishing.

I do no belive that it is. This week, and economist suggested that dollarization would be relatively easy and quick to implement, but that is the only time I've heard that word and Venezuela in the same sentence.

Unless there's a reliable source on this, I don't think it's true at all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's consistent under a theory of a hyperrational Maduro inner circle waging a subtle battle against their own subordinates, by making it steadily more difficult to fudge where the money is coming from or going to

there's very little to indicate that there's a level of disciplined doublethink that would permit this, however

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
How do you implement something like that anyway? Would we have to buy the currency from the U.S.? How did Ecuador do it?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Panama and El Salvador are on the USD too.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
What you do is basically stop issuing your domestic currency as legal tender, and fix an exchange rate and a time frame to trade-in the old currency for the new one. Its the same process when a country joins the Euro, for example. Panama has used the US dollar since 1904, and Ecuador since 2000 (I don't know about El Salvador), whats interesting is that both Panama and Ecuador also both mint their own coins (which are equal to American cents). What happens though is that you obviously lose control of monetary policy. I really don't think that Venezuela is going to dollarise, from an ideological point of view it seems like utter suicide. Correa's administration inherited dollars and it works well for Ecuador apparently, but to go and take initiative to adopt it? Seems extremely unlikely.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Yeah Maduro would never do it

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

ronya posted:

it's consistent under a theory of a hyperrational Maduro inner circle waging a subtle battle against their own subordinates, by making it steadily more difficult to fudge where the money is coming from or going to

there's very little to indicate that there's a level of disciplined doublethink that would permit this, however

Sure. In other words, if anyone is seriously thinking about it they haven't told anyone, so it's 100% speculation. There's really nothing to suggest this is happening/will ever happen.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Happy 2 year anniversary of Maduro being president. Hope you guys pop the champagne.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Wow! Two years!

Maduro was out at a subsidized housing complex in Caracas the other day and took a moment to jump on a seesaw with Libertador municipality mayor Jorge Rodriguez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-QrvJ1OSp4

One of the big stories breaking right now is that the CNE (the body that oversees elections) appears to have been caught trying to gerrymander parliamentary districts ahead of the fall elections. The way they're trying to do it is by playing around with census data to re-distribute population weight in a way that would benefit the PSUV and harm the opposition. For example, the CNE is projecting that the population of Aragua state will rise 4.64% between June and December of this year, which will grant the state an extra seat in the National Assembly (Aragua is a PSUV state). The CNE projects that Miranda state will lose 5.36% of its population between June and December of this year, meaning that the state will lose one seat in the National Assembly (Miranda is an opposition state). Once a state crosses a certain population threshold, it can gain or lose additional deputies to the National Assembly.

The way people caught on to the shennanigans has to do with population projections by the INE, the census people, and the way they measure up against the CNE projections, which try to estimate the population of the country's different districts for December 2015 (around the time of the election). For example, for Aragua, the table looks like this:
  • INE population estimate, June 30 2015: 1,805,185
  • CNE population estimate, December 31 2015: 1,888,983
  • INE population estimate, June 30 2016: 1,822,424
For Miranda, it looks like this:
  • INE population estimate, June 30 2015: 3,159,048
  • CNE population estimate, December 31 2015: 2,989,795 (EDIT: This was a typo - I originally wrote it as 2,289,795)
  • INE population estimate, June 30 2016: 3,194,390

In other words, it looks like the CNE pulled numbers out of thin air to force states to lose/gain seats to benefit the PSUV.

The National Assembly is going to vote (tomorrow, I believe) on whether or not to accept the CNE's projections and go ahead with the changes.

Sumate has a breakdown of the figures here, in Spanish.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 21, 2015

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Lol So much for that end to U.S. "meddling" Obama made such a fuss about.

http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/11346

quote:

The United States is threatening the small Central American country of El Salvador with financial repercussions for having supported Venezuela's campaign seeking the repeal of sanctions against the country.

The leftist Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN) Front government of Salvador Sanchez Ceren, together with all of the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean, called on U.S. President Obama to repeal the executive order that declared Venezuela to be a “threat” to its national security.

However, the threat against El Salvador appears to be the first case of the U.S. trying to push its diplomatic weight around in order to force a sovereign country to take steps that would better align with U.S. interests.

“The government of the United States and the embassy are working hard to obtain money for the Alliance for Prosperity program (but) the reality is these messages make the work harder,” said Mari Carmen Aponte, the U.S. ambassador to El Salvador.

The Alliance for Prosperity program is an effort by the U.S., together with Central American countries, to reduce the influx of migrants to the United States and the Obama Administration proposed US$1 billion in aid to the region as part of the initiative.

Medardo Gonzalez, secretary general of the ruling FMLN, criticized the statements made by the U.S. ambassador Monday. “We have the right to back Venezuela. We have expressed our solidarity and we maintain that the decree should be repealed,” said Gonzalez.

The FMLN handed the U.S. ambassador approximately 25,000 signatures of Salvadorans calling for the United States to repeal the executive order ahead of the Summit of the Americas held earlier this month.

A U.S. official previously expressed disappointment over the lack of support in the region for U.S. sanctions against Venezuela. Even governments widely seen as close to the United States, such as Mexico and Colombia, who joined in the unanimous call for the executive order to be repealed.

The statements by the U.S. ambassador may be an indication that the U.S. Department of State is now pursuing more forceful measures to win support for its highly unpopular decision to impose sanctions on Venezuela

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
"Your statements make raising money for you harder" is totally accurate. The republican legislature might be convinced to spend money on reducing unauthorized immigration, but not on supporting anti-US demagogues. Thanks, Obama!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Lol So much for that end to U.S. "meddling" Obama made such a fuss about.

http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/11346
Wait, so how is this meddling?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Omi-Polari posted:

Its Borneo Jimmy, he's loving with you.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cliff Racer posted:

Its Borneo Jimmy, he's loving with you.

And it's coming from Venezuelanalysis, which is unabashedly hardcore pro-PSUV. As in RT-but-for-Venezuela pro-PSUV. Yeah there's a kernel of truth in their articles, but it's always slathered in whatever language makes Venezuela look saintly.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 22, 2015

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And it's coming from Venezuelanalysis, which is unabashedly hardcore pro-PSUV. As in RT-but-for-Venezuela pro-PSUV. Yeah there's a kernel of truth in their articles, but it's always slathered in whatever language makes Venezuela look saintly.

They're biased yes, but no more so than "serious" news sources which just credulously parrot the u.s. state department or the wealthy right wing opposition.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Borneo Jimmy posted:

They're biased yes, but no more so than "serious" news sources which just credulously parrot the u.s. state department or the wealthy right wing opposition.

2/10, needs work.

Omi-Polari posted:

America bad!!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Aren't you special, Jimmy. Whats your angle? Are you trying to get yourself some air time on RT as a "Venezuela Policy Expert"? Seems like you're after something with your posting, Jimmy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Why yes, they're biased, but no more biased than this other biased media. No, whether it's true or not is beside the point.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I don't think there exists such a thing as an unbiased news source tbf, at least not in the political world, everyone has an agenda.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

El Hefe posted:

I don't think there exists such a thing as an unbiased news source tbf, at least not in the political world, everyone has an agenda.

Sure, and sometimes that agenda is to convey the truth.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
See for Borneo anything that is opposed to his viewpoint on things is "parroting" the state department. He doesn't care about reality or the truth on the ground. He cares about what fits into his own self defined views of what are happening.

In a way he's kind of like a Christian Fundamentalist who refuses to accept evolution. Or a republican that refuses to accept that trickle down economics doesn't work.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
So what exactly is inaccurate in the VA article I posted? Its quite clear that Latin America is united in standing up against Obama's pathetic attempts to turn Venezuela into a regional pariah in order to appease the shrill Oligarchs in Miami. The sanctions have backfired.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

So what exactly is inaccurate in the VA article I posted? Its quite clear that Latin America is united in standing up against Obama's pathetic attempts to turn Venezuela into a regional pariah in order to appease the shrill Oligarchs in Miami. The sanctions have backfired.

This is just us saying "if you oppose our diplomatic efforts, we will give you less money". I suppose that's meddling, as far as any foreign policy is meddling. The US is allowed to do that, there's nothing wrong with it, and trying to act like it is a brutal act of imperialism is sad and embarrassing, but typical for people and news sources that act like restricting the personal bank accounts of a handful of kleptocrats is an assault on Venezuelan sovereignty.

The problem with crying wolf like this is it makes you very hard to take seriously, as you can see by the responses you're getting.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Adventure Pigeon posted:

This is just us saying "if you oppose our diplomatic efforts, we will give you less money". I suppose that's meddling, as far as any foreign policy is meddling. The US is allowed to do that, there's nothing wrong with it, and trying to act like it is a brutal act of imperialism is sad and embarrassing, but typical for people and news sources that act like restricting the personal bank accounts of a handful of kleptocrats is an assault on Venezuelan sovereignty.

The problem with crying wolf like this is it makes you very hard to take seriously, as you can see by the responses you're getting.

That said, even Colombia has voiced concerns about it. I think it is a stupid move by the US and you don't have to support Maduro to see it.

While I don't agree with much of what BJ posts, the slamming he is getting for posting that article is really over the top. Ideology is a blood sport I guess.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Obama isn't the one making Venezuela into a regional pariah, that's Maduro and the Miami crew only care about Cuba.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the problem with the sanctions or the fact that Venezuela is labeled a threat to the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Is the problem with the sanctions or the fact that Venezuela is labeled a threat to the US?

The problem, from Jimmy's perspective, is that the world has moved on from his reflexive anti-Americanism and chosen not to take his views seriously.

• Locked thread