Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Literally Esoteric posted:

Why do I keep seeing things about General Greivous where Jedi are fighting him with lightsabers? Isn't that the single stupidest thing they could do? He clearly has the advantage in lightsaber combat. Shouldn't they be fighting him with the force instead, maybe at a distance? Is he somehow able to negate force powers???

He isn't able to negate force powers, Obi-One crushes his lungs using the force at one point. They use lightsabres because it looks flashy, just like Yoda did in that ridiculous fight against Count Dooku. It has to be flashy like that because otherwise no one would watch it for the rich narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

ijii posted:

I've been thinking of Star Wars lately. I really liked The Clone Wars, not too hopeful with Disney's Rebels though.

As someone who's never watched an episode of this, it seems like the main character girl is very Mary Sue-ish. It's like they retcon the entire prequels around her. "She's like, super powerful in the force! Oh and she can dual wield! And and she's Anakin's padawan. And she can burn people with laser eyes when she's like, really pissed off!"

I was going to say the only redeeming quality of the series was that they made the Stormtroopers badass, but that wasn't even them. It was the animated series by Genndy Tartakovsky.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Decrepus posted:

He isn't able to negate force powers, Obi-One crushes his lungs using the force at one point. They use lightsabres because it looks flashy, just like Yoda did in that ridiculous fight against Count Dooku. It has to be flashy like that because otherwise no one would watch it for the rich narrative.

Ya, a lot of people don't know about Obi-One, Ben Kenobi's brother from another mother.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Doctor Bishop posted:

Ya, a lot of people don't know about Obi-One, Ben Kenobi's brother from another mother.

There can be Obi-One

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Doctor Bishop posted:

I'm no GIF wizard, but here ya go, fella.

Just had a realization about this that allowed me to whip up a much better-looking version that's just under the avatar file size limit.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

kinmik posted:

I was going to say the only redeeming quality of the series was that they made the Stormtroopers badass, but that wasn't even them. It was the animated series by Genndy Tartakovsky.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

kinmik posted:

As someone who's never watched an episode of this, it seems like the main character girl is very Mary Sue-ish. It's like they retcon the entire prequels around her. "She's like, super powerful in the force! Oh and she can dual wield! And and she's Anakin's padawan. And she can burn people with laser eyes when she's like, really pissed off!"

I still vaguely remember that one arc that was basically following the Republic's version of Seal Team Six on a mission to look incredibly badass and pose a lot end a planet-wide stalemate.

poo poo, not fast enough:

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Sep 9, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

Just had a realization about this that allowed me to whip up a much better-looking version that's just under the avatar file size limit.

You're awesome. Can I buy you a forums upgrade?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

kinmik posted:

Nah, she's fine.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

:black101:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

You're awesome. Can I buy you a forums upgrade?

If you're feeling generous, an avatar certificate would be nice, please.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I have no idea how anyone could ever be intimidated by those ridiculous things.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

kinmik posted:

As someone who did watch it all, that was a real concern throughout the series. The way Asoka is written out of the show is wonderful, and consistent with the tone in the prequels (for what that's worth.)

Spoilers as to how it's done:

She is accused of aiding a fallen Jedi from escaping, and has a whole The Fugitive kind of plot for a couple of episodes. When the smoke clears, the Jedi come to her, apologize, and offer her her place back in the Order. She gives a small speech about how she can't trust people who don't trust her (The Order pretty much condemn her before an investigation is even done,) and she decides to just go away into the greater galaxy. Anakin has been training her this whole time, and was the only Jedi who believed her innocence. It helps sell his growing distrust of the Order, and her speech had a simply gorgeous sunset scene.

There are a couple of solid episodes with the clones. Asoka definitely has her faults in the series, and is far from "perfect."

Taratovsky's series were definitely superior overall, but the CGI sereis wasn't God awful.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Internet Kraken posted:

:spooky:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

If you're feeling generous, an avatar certificate would be nice, please.

Just give me an email to send it to.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Internet Kraken posted:

This episode honestly does do a pretty good job of making them intimidating though, basically because that particular Dalek kills like, everyone.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seventh Arrow posted:

Not to cast aspersions on cat people, but the reason people love dogs is because they seem to be committed to having a good time, all the time.

Cats share my idea of what's a good time, and they're very committed to it:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MizPiz posted:

I still vaguely remember that one arc that was basically following the Republic's version of Seal Team Six on a mission to look incredibly badass and pose a lot end a planet-wide stalemate.

Best part of that series was the biker alien dude getting a whole bunch of biker droids to wreck some clone poo poo. Then Obi-Wan gets his dudes to counter-attack with their own bikes.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Just give me an email to send it to.

Sure. sinchile@gmail.com

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

Sure. sinchile@gmail.com

Sent. Thanks again.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

MizPiz posted:

poo poo, not fast enough:

Was it by chance Delta Squad from Republic Commando? Because there's a game that needs a sequel ASAP.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
While ya'll are posting those gifs from GitS Innocence, don't suppose we could get some of Batou's basset hound as well?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Is this from a game?

bigredbutton
Feb 22, 2006

The jolly, candy-like button!

Nap Ghost
I had to track that down! Looks like it's from here:

http://videogamebread.tumblr.com/

"A game about sandwiches"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

"Watcha gonna do? Sucker me to death?"

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Bunch of Clone Wars critics ITT. Ahsoka too much for you? Here have Pong Krell, who can dual wield these:

Here's one of many villains I like:

General goofiness of the show:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Aside from the lightsabers I'm getting mad Oddworld vibes from those.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
More 'tars :

Aericura
Jun 12, 2003
I will eat your soul.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ijii posted:

General goofiness of the show:

Ah yes, Jabba's uncle Ziro the Hutt (A.K.A. Ziro Desilijic Tiure), a Hutt that talks and acts like Truman Capote. Was rumored to be queer, until that Gif.

In the persuit of honest, all this info is sourced from John Hodgeman, and not the show itself.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Ghost Dad

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Literally Esoteric posted:

Why do I keep seeing things about General Greivous where Jedi are fighting him with lightsabers? Isn't that the single stupidest thing they could do? He clearly has the advantage in lightsaber combat. Shouldn't they be fighting him with the force instead, maybe at a distance? Is he somehow able to negate force powers???

I'd love it if in Star Wars 7, Greivous (he's still alive somehow, I don't give a gently caress) fights Han Solo, and this time, Grevious has EIGHT arms! And a poo poo load of light sab-oh Solo just shot him in his stupid face.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feeple posted:

Taratovsky's series were definitely superior overall, but the CGI sereis wasn't God awful.

The only bad thing about Tartakovsky's series was it made Episode 3 all the worse for watching it first. Went in looking forward to a kick-rear end fight scene with Grievous after watching him fend off a full squad of ARC Troopers and four Jedi on his own, and instead all he did was spin his lightsabres like neon weedwhackers :effort:.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ragequit posted:

In what order am I supposed to watch all these GitS versions?

In addition to the info provided by earlier posters, I'd also like to recommend the SAC OVA Solid State Society (obviously, if you don't watch the series first you'll be a bit lost). It's very well-animated, the action sequences absolutely own, and the music is pretty darn good, too. If that wasn't enough to convince you, the big reveal at the end is loving ridiculous (and amazing) even by anime standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

• Locked thread