Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

horriblePencilist posted:

Which reminds me that Rebel Jam was announced as soon as that Game Jam sponsored by Pepsi crashed and burned. The same Game Jam that Zoe Quinn was in and she cashed by convincing everyone to leave.

Also this

to be fair, apparently most of the people involved in this agreed that is was bullshit and lovely afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

interesting thing popped up re max temkin.

http://antinegationism.tumblr.com/post/95564866591/so-internetaristocrat-has-a-new-video-have-you-seen

quote:

I was hesitant to drag Max into any of this, because I got the impression that he’d already been through hell, and because he paid for my boat ticket and had a brief discussion with me about Kant’s contributions to astronomy, which means I like him. Anyway, Max Temkin made Cards Against Humanity. CAH or Max personally, I’m not sure which, is or was going to be one of the anonymous supporters of Rebel Jam.
Then a rape allegation dropped by a pseudonymous user, and everyone manned a witch hunt against Max. A little bit later, the person who made the allegations clarified that it wasn’t so much rape, as it was a “textbook example of a crime of opportunity.” I don’t know what that means — but in any case Zoe and I had a long discussion about it. The issue was Zoe wanted Max’s money, but no amount of money would have made up for the amount of harm it would do to her career to continue associating with him. So Zoe figured she would talk to Max, and try to get him to write something talking about how issues of consent are important, and how difficult it can be to discern right from wrong when young men are raised in a society that teaches them to objectify women.
(This was the night of the karaoke bar, which meant she was going to be late to karaoke. She absolutely did not want me waiting for her at the karaoke bar, because she claimed Nathan might throw a hissy fit. So I was left waiting at the hotel, but in any case:)
I want to make it clear here that her primary concern wasn’t whether or not what Max did was wrong. It was whether or not people would find out that he was sponsoring Rebel Jam. She would only continue business with him so long as he maintained a pristine image.
But this all ties back to the consent and hypocrisy thing. Like when we were discussing these issues of consent in the wake of that controversy, she spoke of them with the weight they deserved — but when we were discussing them with regard to the consequences of that controversy with respect to Max in particular, everything was purely a business decision. And whether or not she continued associating with him was purely a function of the odds that someone would find out he was sponsoring her projects, and how he handled the situation from a PR standpoint.

Zoe formulated the apology that Max Temkin got raked over the coals for by Jezebal/Kotaku/Gawker. She also doesn't actually give a poo poo about rape unless it affects her image.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Fathis Munk posted:

to be fair, apparently most of the people involved in this agreed that is was bullshit and lovely afaik

It's bullshit, but no different from normal TV. Changing the narrative and vilifying is extremely common and sponsorship is hardly evil. Besides, these guys should be used to being sponsored by Pepsi at this point.

Anyway, proof iFred is poo poo.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 25, 2014

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah I read an article on this and it did seem super lovely and lame. Like, forcing the nerds to drink coke with a guy yelling that the logo has to be facing the cameras and stuff. It seemed really staged and disorganised.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

It's bullshit, but no different from normal TV. Changing the narrative and vilifying is extremely common and sponsorship is hardly evil. Besides, these guys should be used to being sponsored by Pepsi at this point.

I guess they didn't quite expect it to be that harsh ? What I'm saying is that on this one case the other people seem to have thought like her. Not that it changes anything in the long run.

(Broken clock yadda yadda)

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
That's TV/a job, baby. Doritos money is still money.

Rather be a shill for Dew then be a crazy charity crashing blob woman who thinks it's more dignified to sit on your rear end and be handed money rather then earn it, IMO.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Gorman Thomas posted:

I made a hangman clone for a cs course in college, am I an indie dev now?

i made a memory game complete with an AI you could play against (with 3 difficulty settings) in quickbasic when i was like 12, good thing i remembered, that poo poo is going straight on the resume

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Have the Ai do nothing because it's depressed. the resulting unplayable game is a treatise on AAA development.

I've already donated to your patreon.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
There's 2 guys on /v/ pretending the whole thing is a Phoenix Wright case. It's pretty fun tbh

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

big duck equals goose posted:

That's TV/a job, baby. Doritos money is still money.

Rather be a shill for Dew then be a crazy charity crashing blob woman who thinks it's more dignified to sit on your rear end and be handed money rather then earn it, IMO.

also they would have signed a contract that would have stipulated all that poo poo, so complaining about it after the fact is stupid. much in the same way that she was making GBS threads herself about being sued, she certainly understood the situation well enough to straight up lie and get her buds to lie.

on the other hand, the bad guy wore a FEDORA so obviously it was all his fault.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Which reminds me that Rebel Jam was announced as soon as that Game Jam sponsored by Pepsi crashed and burned. The same Game Jam that Zoe Quinn was in and she cashed by convincing everyone to leave.

Speaking of this, wasn't there some sub-scandal where zoe did something to jontron?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

FAROOQ posted:

interesting thing popped up re max temkin.

http://antinegationism.tumblr.com/post/95564866591/so-internetaristocrat-has-a-new-video-have-you-seen

Zoe formulated the apology that Max Temkin got raked over the coals for by Jezebal/Kotaku/Gawker. She also doesn't actually give a poo poo about rape unless it affects her image.

*in darksydephil voice* what an rear end in a top hat huhahah

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

DrManiac posted:

Speaking of this, wasn't there some sub-scandal where zoe did something to jontron?

Aw god, we've gotten to the point where we have to add sub-scandals to the main scandals ?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Supernorn posted:

Yeah I read an article on this and it did seem super lovely and lame. Like, forcing the nerds to drink coke with a guy yelling that the logo has to be facing the cameras and stuff. It seemed really staged and disorganised.

The articles are really convincing. Problem is, 3 of the major articles about the failed game jam were all written by people very closely and explicitly linked to her social circle, 2 of them are members of the 5 guys, and the third is a guy whose place she apparently crashed at from time to time. There's a 4th article written by her. It's quite suspicious.

Zoe: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ZoeQ...t_Game_Jams.php
Robin Arnott: http://soundselfgame.com/blog/game_jam-and-the-power-of-integrity/
Nathan Grayson: http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-indie-game-reality-tv-show-that-went-to-hell-1555599284
Jared Rosen: http://indiestatik.com/2014/03/31/most-expensive-game-jam/

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

XK posted:

The articles are really convincing. Problem is, 3 of the major articles about the failed game jam were all written by people very closely and explicitly linked to her social circle, 2 of them are members of the 5 guys, and the third is a guy whose place she apparently crashed at from time to time. There's a 4th article written by her. It's quite suspicious.

Robin Arnott: http://soundselfgame.com/blog/game_jam-and-the-power-of-integrity/
Nathan Grayson: http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-indie-game-reality-tv-show-that-went-to-hell-1555599284

God they are all so close they couldn't find an outsider if they tried.

STOP INCEST IN THE VIDEO GAMES INDUSTRY. :argh:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

we were months away from gaming's Charles II but now we'll never witness the majesty of it

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
This weekend, 4chan donated thousands of dollars to a charity to support women in the gaming industry. Here is a comprehensive list of gaming sites covering the news:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Maxwell Adams posted:

This weekend, 4chan donated thousands of dollars to a charity to support women in the gaming industry. Here is a comprehensive list of gaming sites covering the news:
  • Something Awful

:v:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
This is our moment to shine and take over video games journsaslfjalknfd,.mfdsf

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Fathis Munk posted:

Sad thing is that at this point, if we put in the effort, we probably could.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:effort:

even though, making bux for playing vidya games sounds :effortless:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

can we hvae pages for hot new cheat codes? I think that's why internet gaming news sucks dick compared to magazines, no cheats.

in b4 some zzoe quinn is a cheat post

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Oh wait I actually found one:

http://gamesnosh.com/notoriously-foul-website-4chan-funds-female-inclusive-gamejam-response-to-zoe-quinn-scandal/

Meanwhile, on Giant Bomb, all mention of The Fine Young Capitalists are being deleted from the forums. Patrick Klepeck does not mention them on his twitter or his daily unwatchable facetime vlog, but he gives a tweet to those fuckfaces making The Sarkeesian Effect.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

XK posted:

For future reference, use donotlink so the sites don't actually get anything from the views.

Also the buddy-buddy situation is very real. After a lot of arguing with himself via Twitter, Wolf Wozniak confessed he got sexually harassed by Zoe, only to immediately retreat after Phil Fish yelled at him. He's now super anxious and is being denied by his former circle of indie-friends because he spoke against Zoe.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Some site reported it but they made it sound like it's a bad thing.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Fathis Munk posted:

We, too, have become what we hate most.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Maxwell Adams posted:

That's a hard one to write about for a journalist. Maybe the headline could be:

:siren: Misogynist male internet terrorists exploit and victimize women for tax write-offs. :siren:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

Sorta, but it was never really clear.

At Game_Jam, I guess JonTron said something that pissed her off. She pulled him aside and wanted to talk about it privately. That Pepsi guy who ran/ruined the whole show wanted to get it on camera and ran out to interrupt them, which got her mad at them, etc. so whatever issue she had with JonTron was dropped/interrupted. But that account is from that Rosen guy.

Recently, Jontron said Zoe was "rude to him" on Twitter at Game_Jam. I think there's NDAs involved, so a lot of the YouTube people are keeping their mouths shut on it.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

/pol/ did it

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Fathis Munk posted:

God they are all so close they couldn't find an outsider if they tried.

STOP INCEST IN THE VIDEO GAMES INDUSTRY. :argh:

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 25, 2014

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Remember when Penny-Arcade was like, "hey, we can do vidya game journalism better," and then no it turns out when you lie with dogs you get flees.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

For future reference, use donotlink so the sites don't actually get anything from the views.

Donotlink doesn't actually stop a site from receiving ad revenue, it just prevents search engines from moving up their search rank due to seeing a link to them.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ Still better than linking them directly

Zoe's ex, the same guy who posted those Facebook logs and got the whole thing started in the first place, is gonna hold an AMA at r/drama.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

is the n-wordwalk may may still a thing, are there any zoe quinn ones?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

lol the ex-boyfriend is really coming across as a piece of human garbage. No wonder he got cucked so hard, everyone in this story is terrible.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

^^ Still better than linking them directly

Zoe's ex, the same guy who posted those Facebook logs and got the whole thing started in the first place, is gonna hold an AMA at r/drama.

Hah, he's gonna announce his game soon, just watch. "Cuckold quest".

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Supernorn posted:

lol the ex-boyfriend is really coming across as a piece of human garbage. No wonder he got cucked so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

I actually like the character they came up with minus all of the rule 34 fan art.

XK posted:

Donotlink doesn't actually stop a site from receiving ad revenue, it just prevents search engines from moving up their search rank due to seeing a link to them.

lol do people have issues with using adblock? If you want someone to get revenue you can just disable adblock for that one site.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 25, 2014

• Locked thread