Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Uma comes up again in Act 2, after you finish In Ciri's Footsteps, which is the main story in Velen, Skellige and Novigrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is there any way to disable these loading cutscenes? By the fifth time, I really would just prefer a quiet spinning bar and a tooltip.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Poison is an incredibly powerful effect. I'm able to kill skull level enemies without to much difficulty on Death March just by dancing around like and idiot and hitting them a few times to apply poison.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Sauer posted:

Poison is an incredibly powerful effect. I'm able to kill skull level enemies without to much difficulty on Death March just by dancing around like and idiot and hitting them a few times to apply poison.

On that note, does anyone know if dots like poison, bleed, and burn scale off your attack power or their health?

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
Poison and bleed seem to just tick for a percent of the target's max vitality.

So yeah, really powerful effects.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Why do I love Gwent so much uuuuuuungh

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do the Gwent quests have stories to them or are they all just 'play x at Gwent and win'?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

NaDy posted:

Fuuuck Skellige is absolutely god drat stunning holy poo poo. The bear armour set is cool as gently caress too.

Indeed - I was slightly disappointed that the game world seemed pretty flat, and then Skellige comes and has mountains and valleys rivaling Skyrim.

Orv posted:

(Double post but gently caress giant quote walls)

It auto sets your current quest as Destination: Skellige whenever you finish something for some insane reason. You still need to go do the whole six or seven hours of story stuff in Novigrad. That'll get you in range to do Skellige.

Not sure what you're talking about here. The only thing I had to do in Novigrad so far was visit one boat, get directed to a sailor who's crazy enough to do the trip, and then I was in Skellige.

For the Skellige wake, is there any outfit that Yennefer actually likes? Only one I got a different reaction from was the blue coat one. I guess it doesn't affect anything at all, but it was a bit annoying.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Does loot scale in the game to an extent based off of level? I've done...a metric fuckload of question marks in Velen and I'm now getting garbage loot on some of them. I'm wondering if I haven't exhausted loot tables or something, and I am making a huge mistake running around like a dipshit horribly overleveling the main story content.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

Not sure what you're talking about here. The only thing I had to do in Novigrad so far was visit one boat, get directed to a sailor who's crazy enough to do the trip, and then I was in Skellige.

There are six or seven hours of main quest involving Triss, Dandelion, Zoltan and a bunch of other previous game and books characters. Having not finished Skellige's main quest stuff I don't know if doing that will let you skip the Novigrad stuff but I expect not. It's just the order they expect you to do things in. Baron points you to Novigrad, Novigrad stuff gets you around level 10 or so so you can safely do Skellige when it points you there.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 23, 2015

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Into, loving, what...?

Jesus this game is off the rails weird sometimes.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I need help. The game randomly freezes for 5-8 seconds every minute or two. It's just bad enough to make me want to keep playing and power through it but I feel constantly annoyed.
I don't see any posts of people with the same problem, but does anyone have any ideas? My GPU isn't the best (r7 200 series), but other than this freezing, the fps is acceptable. It still does it at the lowest graphical settings.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Man, the baron went and hung himself, I thought he was a pretty decent guy. Kinda want to completely restart the game now and not create my little pony.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

280 new posts on Saturday morning. I think we know what goons are doing with their Friday nights! :roflolmao:

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
I think they dropped the ball on oils (and to an extent food/potions). My problem isn't that they have a limited number of hits/uses before they expire, or that you have to apply them before combat, it's that I have to slog through the inventory menu to get to them and apply them, when it seems like they could have set a hotkey that brought up a menu on the fly to apply/switch or something.

I find that I set an oil in an area for what I 'assume' I will be fighting, and then never bother changing it or reapplying it, because breaking the gameplay to go into the inventory is becoming a drag. Plus no oil/potion animation!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
^^^^^

I just wish they lasted a lot longer, but I've not yet upgraded them so maybe they'll get better I dunno

Arglebargle III posted:

280 new posts on Saturday morning. I think we know what goons are doing with their Friday nights! :roflolmao:

i am at a bar irl keeping up on this thread.

I played like six loving hours today which I almost never do anymore

good game, small gripes aside so far it is amazing. almost too much to do, I love the story quests so far

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 23, 2015

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Solartide posted:

Man, the baron went and hung himself, I thought he was a pretty decent guy. Kinda want to completely restart the game now and not create my little pony.

No, he really wasn't a decent guy at all, but its a testament to the writing and characterization of this game that you (and me) felt some degree of sympathy for the nasty old fucker. He had it rough, but so does just about everyone in the shitshow world in which the Witcher takes place.

Bad choice, though, now he won't ever get a chance to redeem himself...

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 23, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I feel weird I have spent alot of time just exploring and am level 14 and just finishing up the Velen Main Quests...

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Haven't seen any screenshots of Mastercrafted Ursine, so here we are.

I really like how it starts out as a leather breastplate, padded coat, thick sleeves, then as you upgrade to the next tier, pieces get added on in sensible layers until you have Viking death armor.

*edit - added a closer shot below.

isk fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 23, 2015

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Aaaaw. Spoiler for Triss in Novigrad, with what I assume is Witcher 2 import stuff: There's no prompt, but you can go into her house and look around, and on the top floor she's got the Rose of Remembrance. It's all dried up :(

Anyone want to check to see whether or not it's still alive if you (basically) tell her you love her in TW2? It's when you first go to the elven ruins, right after she tells you that the legend says it'll live forever if you give it to someone you love. I went with the "this is awkward" option, since Geralt had just gotten a bunch of his Yennefer memories back.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

isk posted:

Haven't seen any screenshots of Mastercrafted Ursine, so here we are.

I really like how it starts out as a leather breastplate, padded coat, thick sleeves, then as you upgrade to the next tier, pieces get added on in sensible layers until you have Viking death armor.

*edit - added a closer shot below.

drat that does look pretty awesome. Cat suits my playstyle more but it looks like fashion souls will probably make me end up in ursine.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I've just unlocked horse racing, how frustrating is it?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I've done the main quest chain in all 3 regions, some 40+ hours in and I'm only level 20. I have crafting schematics for up to level 42 stuff, is there really that much more content?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is anyone else getting random red/green artefacting during the cutscenes? Running 970s in SLI. Also random, faint black boxes that come and go, again only in the cutscenes.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Hold up, why is Triss mentioning "the massacre at Loc Muinne"? I imported a save where that didn't happen. Does the game just not acknowledge that choice at all? I had hoped that all the witch hunts would at least get explained away.

**I mean, like, "Radovid dissolved the Council+Conclave because he hates sorceresses" is all it would have taken.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 23, 2015

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
I don't have the game yet, but i'd like to know if there's a slider, in the graphics settings to adjust saturation?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Verranicus posted:

So I've just unlocked horse racing, how frustrating is it?

It isn't, in fact it's super easy and will net you some nice upgrades for your horse. You just sprint along the line on the map. Note that you can block the opponent pretty easily while you're recovering stamina if you're ahead.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
So I just found out what happens when you try to fight a Griffon that went to prison, got ripped, and lit itself on fire... bad things happen.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Vendor inventories being level based seems super lovely for alchemy characters.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol some dudes at the gate to a city in Velen were like "there's no way you're getting in without a travel pass!" and I assume I could have acquired one via some quest chain but instead I just swam a really short distance onto the shore, skipped the gate, and entered the city just fine. Did I break/miss anything cool? Was this an intended "solution"? Either way I'm proud of myself

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

goferchan posted:

Lol some dudes at the gate to a city in Velen were like "there's no way you're getting in without a travel pass!" and I assume I could have acquired one via some quest chain but instead I just swam a really short distance onto the shore, skipped the gate, and entered the city just fine. Did I break/miss anything cool? Was this an intended "solution"? Either way I'm proud of myself

Hah, I did the same thing.

I think one character gives you papers at some point, but you don't need them.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Elderbean posted:

Hah, I did the same thing.

I think one character gives you papers at some point, but you don't need them.

There's at least 3 chars that give you papers, the guard captain by the bridge to Novigrad after completing his witcher contract, the shady dude in the same area for gold (can reduce price by doing a side quest) and the Bloody Baron.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

goferchan posted:

If you don't want to get wet you can either get given the papers at some point during the main quest line, or pay 100 gold for them, so you didn't miss out on any content.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Should I have crafted new armor and weapons before starting the first Witch Hunt quest with Keira? what's the best way to mine crafting resources? i suck at that so far, alchemy included.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Slackerish posted:

Should I have crafted new armor and weapons before starting the first Witch Hunt quest with Keira? what's the best way to mine crafting resources? i suck at that so far, alchemy included.

There's no need to "mine" crafting materials. For whatever you're looking to create you'll probably either already have the stuff or be able to easily buy it or get it from dismantling old gear.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm doing Wild at Heart and I feel like I'm missing something. I don't want to just wait in the werewolf's lair and fight him, that seems rude. I'd rather cure him of the curse. But it says I should search his lair, and I can't find anything. Am I missing something or am I just supposed to stab him a few times to make him better? :(

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 23, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm doing Wild at Heart and I feel like I'm missing something. I don't want to just wait in the werewolf's lair and fight him, that seems rude. I'd rather cure him of the curse. But it says I should search his lair, and I can't find anything. Am I missing something or am I just supposed to stab him a few times to make him better? :(

You gotta kill that fucker.

edit: nevermind

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

This game was running like a dream until the latest patch. I mean, im getting better FPS and poo poo since the patch but I wasnt crashing ever until the update

One thing thats really cool about this game though is the full CPU core optimization. Ive got an FX-8350 8 core because its the highest upgrade I found that my mobo could support, and this game utilizes the hardware beautifully.

HORMELCHILI fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 23, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

This entire war makes me feel like it is Radovid is essentially Stalin, down to the opportunistically absorbing small nations to fight Nilfgard, to having paranoid purges of mages, intellectuals etc. and just in general from the Witcher 2 he seemed relatively reasonable if as dickish, he seems to have gone insane then again he is literal the last northern King.

Also I didn't have any Witcher 2 saves (new computer) so Henselt seems to default to dead, Is he still alive in any imported saves or did Radovid in this case kill him between games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I cant thank CDPR enough for having the game engine load fast and the splash screen be skip-able . It so good to have a game that lets you get back in the action in 30 seconds top .