Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I actually prefer going to the JTB office and buying whatever. It was waaaaay easier for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Which distilleries were you planning on visiting? If it's Hakushu or Yamazaki, they have English audio guides, which includes the rules/safety orientation at the beginning.

If you want to do the tour at Yamazaki you may be hosed by now, since reservations are required. You could probably still get a spot for just the tasting bar and the museum, or alternatively you could try Hakushu as well (tasting menu is nearly identical).

https://www.nomunication.jp/2018/04/16/suntory-hakushu-distillery/

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 25, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just come again in October for the sake festival in Saijo, Hiroshima?

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
What are the goon approved Kyoto places to eat? I haven't had great luck researching the better places so far. Is there any must try places while in Kyoto?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I visited a lot of small sake breweries when I was there during sake making season and didn't have any issues. All of them were able to run off and find the one staff member who spoke some English. Once you've toured one you've seen them all though, just do one tour then go into the other ones for the tastings--in my experience if the door's open you can go in and drop 500 yen for a flight of their sakes.

The big distilleries and beer makers have English tours or audio guides.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Cbear posted:

What are the goon approved Kyoto places to eat? I haven't had great luck researching the better places so far. Is there any must try places while in Kyoto?

Japan, 〒604-8055 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Nakagyō-ku, Higashiuoyachō, 京都市中京区 錦小路通麩屋町西入ル東魚屋町198-1 hale

Some of the best vegan food I’ve had and it is tucked right in the middle of Nishiki market

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The burnt miso ramen at Gogoyo Ramen is awesome. Burnt soy sauce one is also good, you can order half portions to try both (or just go hard). It's right off the main drag of Nishiki market.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there any good website for finding out when certain bands will be playing in Japan? I was hoping to catch a Galneryus concert, but their website seems to mostly just have previous concert dates, unless I'm missing something.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

zmcnulty posted:

Which distilleries were you planning on visiting? If it's Hakushu or Yamazaki, they have English audio guides, which includes the rules/safety orientation at the beginning.

If you want to do the tour at Yamazaki you may be hosed by now, since reservations are required. You could probably still get a spot for just the tasting bar and the museum, or alternatively you could try Hakushu as well (tasting menu is nearly identical).

https://www.nomunication.jp/2018/04/16/suntory-hakushu-distillery/

To add to that - we were at the hakushu distillery and did get lucky that they had a few people answer and gave us the free spots on the tour. So it's possible, but I wouldn't plan a special trip around going that happens.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

Phone posted:

The Ghibli tickets for September went up on August 10, iirc. And judging from the Lawson site (both J and E), they're all sold out. You might have luck via JTB or at a Lawson in country.

The temp/humidity will probably be a hair milder than TN, not by much.

Wow, what a bummer... I wasn't expecting that at all. Last time I went to the Ghibli museum, my sister bought tickets at a Lawson in Japan. I guess the only thing we can do is try that as soon as we get into the country.

peanut posted:

Just come again in October for the sake festival in Saijo, Hiroshima?

Haha, maybe next year.

Grand Fromage posted:

Once you've toured one you've seen them all though, just do one tour then go into the other ones for the tastings--in my experience if the door's open you can go in and drop 500 yen for a flight of their sakes.

We'll probably end up doing this. Thanks!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I understand that the best thing to do about small tats is to cover them up with medical tape. There are also ryokans that offer private onsens, but you have to pay an arm and a leg for the privilege.

I think for my tattoos I'll bring cover sleeves, like this . That should work, right?

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 26, 2018

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spanish Inquisition posted:

Wow, what a bummer... I wasn't expecting that at all. Last time I went to the Ghibli museum, my sister bought tickets at a Lawson in Japan. I guess the only thing we can do is try that as soon as we get into the country.

There's no real additional method in-country. Sold out on the web means sold out in convenience stores too.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Cbear posted:

I just went to an okonomiyaki place called Manmaru no Tsuki. I don’t know how authentic it was or whatever but it tasted really good.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

If you have friends in Japan maybe ask them to walk into the local Lawsons and get you tickets or maybe a nice japan-goon could do it?

When I went I asked the guy who's airbnb I was staying at to grab me tickets and he was more than happy to.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think for my tattoos I'll bring cover sleeves, like this . That should work, right?

Under armor etc. is very common. But onsens are naked so like… just sleeves is kinda lol but they might appreciate the effort. I've often been the only customer in the bath at ryokan. Japanese families will usually finish a bath before dinner, so if you go in 6:30-8:00ish and eat later, you'll have less witnesses.

There are some onsen that don't hate on tattoos but you'll have to ask a tattooed local to find out. They don't have/want an online index.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

There are some onsen that don't hate on tattoos but you'll have to ask a tattooed local to find out. They don't have/want an online index.

When I’ve seen people go in with tattoos they wrap with plastic or medical style tape. Or what a friend did, draping a towel directly over his shoulder tattoo and keeping that facing the wall.

While there may not be an online list, you could search for “foreigner friendly” onsen instead - it’s been made a bit of a deal how some are preparing for the tourist influx including for the Olympics.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

https://tattoofriendlyjp.com

I’m not sure how comprehensive the site is, but it’s at least something.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

Under armor etc. is very common. But onsens are naked so like… just sleeves is kinda lol but they might appreciate the effort. I've often been the only customer in the bath at ryokan. Japanese families will usually finish a bath before dinner, so if you go in 6:30-8:00ish and eat later, you'll have less witnesses.

On the men's side a lot of guys come in at like 8:00 - 9:00 before they go to sleep, mostly just to relax. I have a feeling they do the same thing as me and are like "if I go after dinner I can get the bath to myself".

The 2 day renpai is amazing though. Go into the bath at 1PM and nobody is there at all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm usually too drunk after dinner to take a bath but it's empty in the morning!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Is this the thread to ask about how horrible of a decision I'd be making to try to move to Japan? I have experience in teaching English (in Taiwan) would that give me a leg up if I decided to switch over to Japan, or would I still be at the bottom of the stack in terms of pay/placement. Also, is it possible to get a non-teaching job without any Japanese language skill?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

CovfefeCatCafe posted:

would I still be at the bottom of the stack in terms of pay/placement.

Good news, there is no stack.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Cbear posted:

If you want a nice night out, I super recommend

Japan, 〒600-8434 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Shimogyō-ku, Takatsujichō, 室町通高辻下ル高辻町587

Set menu, got the second cheapest and it rivaled the meals I got at ryokans. Staff is very friendly and the owner even came to talk with us and see us off. Great place.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

CovfefeCatCafe posted:

Is this the thread to ask about how horrible of a decision I'd be making to try to move to Japan? I have experience in teaching English (in Taiwan) would that give me a leg up if I decided to switch over to Japan, or would I still be at the bottom of the stack in terms of pay/placement. Also, is it possible to get a non-teaching job without any Japanese language skill?

Just do it, mate! Eikaiwa hire year-round and schools will be starting interviews for April starts soon enough.
Visa requirements for non-teaching jobs generally require you to be some kinda science smarty, or a legally recognized spouse of a citizen or visa holder.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

peanut posted:

Just do it, mate! Eikaiwa hire year-round and schools will be starting interviews for April starts soon enough.
Visa requirements for non-teaching jobs generally require you to be some kinda science smarty, or a legally recognized spouse of a citizen or visa holder.

I’ve heard that it’s easier to jump out of teaching, too. Is that true? Like, in Taiwan, until I get an APRC and open work permit, I am only legally allowed to work for the employer sponsoring me. I can change jobs, though there’s some paperwork involved (transferring sponsors, etc). I heard that in Japan as long as you don’t need to change visa type that you can move a bit more freely between jobs.

Like, I’m totally down with doing the Eikaiwa thing (I’ve enjoyed teaching in Taiwan), but also want to think about not making a career out of being a cram school teacher. Also, any recommendations or schools to avoid?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
None of my 4 pals who tried to go from eikaiwa to other careers in Japan were successful but I don't have any particular insight :shrug:

There's a JET thread p2 of SAL and a huge JET/eikaiwa community on Reddit that might be better reading than the tourism thread.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
English teaching in Japan is a dead end job. There's no advancement outside of getting out and doing something wildly different.

The people I know who have left the loop either got married, got a job in IT, or started their own business.

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 27, 2018

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Phone posted:

English teaching in Japan is a dead end job. There's no advancement outside of getting out and doing something wildly different.

The people I know who have left the loop either got married, got a job in IT, or started their own business.

That’s kind of the plan. Make the hop, try to get into a different line of work. If it doesn’t work out, I can always fall back on Taiwan and possibly get a writing gig here, maybe.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If you want to jump out of English teaching, strongly recommend you have professional experience in your target field and/or N1 (N2 might be okay with professional experience).

Without Japanese proficiency, you're going to struggle a lot to get out of English teaching.

Another route people take is to leverage their Japan experience into work for a (Japanese) company overseas, and then be sent to Japan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In Japan your work visa is only tied to your employer at the application/renewal process. You can change companies without hassle as long as you still have time on your visa. Renewal is easy too.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
But I'm pretty sure employment type is on the visa - not sure if it's binding? For example, mine said 教育 / Instructor.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Unlike America, Japan actually doesn't have draconian policies for bringing in foreign (professional) workers. If the company sponsor is legit and you are legit, it generally won't be rejected.
So my advice is find a company first, worry about the visa later. This is also true for when/if you want to pivot away from teaching English. If they want to hire you, they'll figure out how.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

But I'm pretty sure employment type is on the visa - not sure if it's binding? For example, mine said 教育 / Instructor.

Once you get a real company to sponsor you for a more general visa, though, you're more free to move around. And ditto for working as an instructor and bouncing between positions. Only issue is that with less-stable work, they don't give you the longer-term visas as easily.

I know a few people who have made it a career but it's either right-place, right-time to get into a proper teaching job, or they're not eikaiwa/ALT but actual international school teachers and licensed from their home country. If you're into the teaching thing, getting a certification (advanced degree, license, etc.) from your home country may also be something to pursue.

It isn't easy to jump from teaching/ALT/eikaiwa into a white-collar job, but it's not completely impossible.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
Update: got a friend to run to Lawson's for me. The Ghibli Museum is well and truly sold out. Maybe next time.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Is there anything special or any events that only happen at the end of Feburary, start of March in Tokyo or Kyoto?

Planning on going on a trip with my parents and we're looking for some ideas of places to see/visit. Only hard event/date that is set in stone is the Tokyo Marathon on March 3rd.

Plan so far is get in on Feb 26 hang out in Tokyo until the marathon and after its over, go to Kyoto to check out the shrines since my mom is big into the Buddhist temple stuff and probably leave from Kyoto/Osaka.

So far picked some the big touristy names but was wondering if any goons on the ground had any interesting places to share for a visit.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
That's plum blossom season, isn't it? Go look at some plum blossoms like in Kairakuen.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Update: got a friend to run to Lawson's for me. The Ghibli Museum is well and truly sold out. Maybe next time.

Sucks to plan for but On the other hand im glad tickets are limited. You don’t want your visit to be flooded like shanghai Disney land and visitors are guaranteed to have a pleasant experience.

Like making dinner reservations!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Even with the limited tickets that place is way too crowded, and if you can’t read Japanese you can only get so much out of it. The short movie they only show there is cool though

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

Even with the limited tickets that place is way too crowded, and if you can’t read Japanese you can only get so much out of it. The short movie they only show there is cool though

The mystique is increased by the sold-out-immediately nature. And yes it is that bad, I had a friend try for months for weekend tickets only to lose out.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Oh yeah by the way what are the best street food things to gorge on in Osaka? I know takoyaki and okonomiyaki are the things to get but what specific places in Dotonbori or wherever?

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Mons Hubris posted:

Oh yeah by the way what are the best street food things to gorge on in Osaka? I know takoyaki and okonomiyaki are the things to get but what specific places in Dotonbori or wherever?

Kushikatsu at Daruma (chain that is everywhere in Osaka)

It’s not a street food. But neither is okonomiyaki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Takoyaki is bought from sweaty bald men at street stalls under a bridge, you'll know it when you see it. Okonomiyaki is the same everywhere just go somewhere close to your hotel.