Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

AHH FUGH posted:

I just have no idea how to win these games. I'm not tilting or raging at all, I'm warding, I'm positioning decently and I can only find a few things every game I can impove on (ie should flash that Gragas ult or something) but every game my team gets stomped, not just me.

yeah that's the main problem

can't fix stupid people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

AHH FUGH posted:

I just have no idea how to win these games. I'm not tilting or raging at all, I'm warding, I'm positioning decently and I can only find a few things every game I can impove on (ie should flash that Gragas ult or something) but every game my team gets stomped, not just me.

If you can't find things in your play to improve on then your probably not looking hard enough, even top players make mistakes, try recording games and spot when you could of roamed, made a call to your team to go somewhere, danger pinged someone for going too far out of ward vision, taken objectives or enemy jungle, gotten a lot of extra farm for yourself or avoided a death yourself.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you can't find things in your play to improve on then your probably not looking hard enough, even top players make mistakes, try recording games and spot when you could of roamed, made a call to your team to go somewhere, danger pinged someone for going too far out of ward vision, taken objectives or enemy jungle, gotten a lot of extra farm for yourself or avoided a death yourself.

the problem lies with, if you literally have a perfectly mechanically played game, you can still lose the game completely because the rest of your team are a bunch of potatoes that wont listen to what you say and will continually insist "dude i can play kat against yas no prob bro"

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

the problem lies with, if you literally have a perfectly mechanically played game, you can still lose the game completely because the rest of your team are a bunch of potatoes that wont listen to what you say and will continually insist "dude i can play kat against yas no prob bro"

Alright but you won't have a perfectly mechanically played game.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Prokhor posted:

Alright but you won't have a perfectly mechanically played game.

no one will

i am content to wallow in my acceptance that my team is awful even if i play very well

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I just won a game as nasus where I could easily 1v3, carrying my pathetic teammates. All of you are wrong, you can win every game if you just play better noobs.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
Speaking of Nasus ... Is he a good choice for learning toplane? He always seems to become a nigh-unkillable shitlord if you leave him alone for like even 10 minutes and the Q stacking aspect seems to make last-hitting under tower way easier.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
There are a slew of champions that kick the unholy poo poo out of him in lane but you can learn a lot about csing under tower and playing passively til you hit a breakpoint where you can fight back

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

victorisham posted:

Speaking of Nasus ... Is he a good choice for learning toplane? He always seems to become a nigh-unkillable shitlord if you leave him alone for like even 10 minutes and the Q stacking aspect seems to make last-hitting under tower way easier.

Yes, learn him. He's a beast as long as you manage to Q stack. You should be able to get 400 stacks by 20 minutes and as long as you get that you're gold. Check http://champion.gg/champion/Nasus for the highest win % build and split push the whole game. If the enemy leaves lane, ping MIA and farm away.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

lucifirius posted:

Yes, learn him. He's a beast as long as you manage to Q stack. You should be able to get 400 stacks by 20 minutes and as long as you get that you're gold. Check http://champion.gg/champion/Nasus for the highest win % build and split push the whole game. If the enemy leaves lane, ping MIA and farm away.

Importantly he will teach you to mute your teammates. You can ping 100 times and say it in chat, but the roaming top WILL kill your mid, and you WILL get yelled at.

Just don't worry about it and keep on getting those stacks. A full wave + cannon is 24 damage, basically a pickaxe advantage!

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

victorisham posted:

Nasus is great if you have a passive safe playstyle. In this match I was against malphite, a wonderful matchup for nasus especially if he tries to out-tank you. Malp's moves are dangerous but with Grasp of Undying and your passive you can win trades so easily by just doing e-auto-q, and just by going even in lane you win thanks to stacks. For me the difficulty is knowing when you give up farm to go join up and fight with your team. Around the time you have about 300 stacks is usually when dragon fights begin in earnest so try that?

Is he good in general in toplane? Well that's hard to say, against any ranged champ he struggles a lot unless you can do decent wave control. That said, as long as you build The One True Nasus Build (tank, boots, triforce), you will end up becoming pretty hard to kill and able to stomp squishies quickly with the armor shred on e. If you get pitted against someone truly obnoxious like gnar/teemo/ranged assholes you have to just try a bunch of poo poo to see what works, I like the tactic of going ham at low level to scare them back a bit so I don't get bullied too hard, but pulling the wave right to the tower's edge is good too.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 17, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm sure it varies a ton based on the level at which you're playing, but where I play ATM (mid-silver) Darius is pretty much the only opponent I truly fear, along with maybe Jax. Aside from those, even the champions that "counter" Nasus can usually be handled by playing very conservatively and patiently, letting them push you up to tower and working your way up to more and more tank items. You might fall behind on stacks but you can catch up later.

Darius is just the lovely fun police though and I pretty much ban him whenever I can if I know I'm going to be taking Nasus top.

vvv I like to think I've gotten better about that and now know that, e.g., I should shove and start wrecking towers anytime my opponent leaves lane, once I've got some good stacks and a Sheen item. This said, there is also a substantial responsibility on the part of the team to not force/get picked into a lovely 4v5 and lose while the Nasus (or any splitpusher really) is doing that.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 17, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you learn Nasus you really need to learn when you should take towers and do stuff because I can't tell you how many games I have been in that were won or lost off the back of the fact that the top lane Nasus just froze top lane forever and lost his team the game.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

rabidsquid posted:

If you learn Nasus you really need to learn when you should take towers and do stuff because I can't tell you how many games I have been in that were won or lost off the back of the fact that the top lane Nasus just froze top lane forever and lost his team the game.

Having a nasus with like five hundred stacks refuse to participate in teamfights because "I need to farm my Q, guys" is super infuriating. I think my won that game, and it was still really unsatisfying, especially because it validated the idea that our Nasus was doing the right thing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

I had this happen with a Wukong last night who insisted that going to "manage side waves" that were a minute out from damaging a T2 tower was the ideal play over taking Baron when we had five people in front of Baron pit after picking off their ADC.

Of course, we lost the ensuing 4v4, they took Baron, and won the game while Wukong blamed me and my bad Baron call.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Nasus is easily kited and killed in late game team fights, he's a midgame split pushing champ.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Right, but playing better can swing the games that are only unfavourable and not unwinnable. Throwing up your hands and saying "Team too heavy, why try" is stupid.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

henkman posted:

Nasus is easily kited and killed in late game team fights, he's a midgame split pushing champ.

yeah people don't get this enough

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
which is also why zzrot is super good on nasus.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SaberToothedPie posted:

which is also why zzrot is super good on nasus.

i can't think of a single non-adc or assassin champ that wouldn't want to get zzrot

the sheer fact that i see so many tanky teammates not take it baffles me

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zz'rot isn't good for resists unless the MR has value for you.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Here in Japan the new thing is top and mid both rush ZZrot portals first item with CDR boots on EVERY CHAMPION

It's like the cold war, if you don't build it first, the other laner will and you WILL lose your turret, guaranteed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

How do they lane versus you with no combat stats tho

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
First pick Gragas is really nerve wracking because they're either going to be complete garbage or one of the eleven Gragas savants in existence that will completely shitwreck your team

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

How do they lane versus you with no combat stats tho

Resists are combat stats, they're just not offensive combat stats.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Against almost every champ in every lane half the stats on a Zz'rot are totally wasted during laning.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Magres posted:

First pick Gragas is really nerve wracking because they're either going to be complete garbage or one of the eleven Gragas savants in existence that will completely shitwreck your team

This doesn't ring true for me at all, Gragas is a super-popular and very good jungler at the moment, with good ganks, engage, and disengage. He's not someone that requires a PHD to play.

Junglers that I think of that fit that description better:
  • Fiddlesticks
  • Shaco
  • Kha'Zix
  • Skarner
  • Ekko
And the most binary "are you the lord our savior of jungling or a complete poo poo," Evelynn. An Eve player is just as likely to get four kills before first back as she is to get executed at level two.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Playing against a really good Eve who just snowballs is incredibly frustrating. Playing against a bad one is funny

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

this is not true at the level you play at (or most/all of us)

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Gragas is pretty drat easy to play with the sole exception of his ultimate, which can really make or break a teamfight, kinda like Janna's ult. I mean yeah a guy that fucks that up on the regular is annoying but you still have a really good peeling guy with his belly bump (which is honestly the best thing about his kit, sorry ya'll)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Body slam is one of those fun skills that you can flash during and really wreck people who didn't expect the range. I finally pulled off that Froggen flash Kassadin ult last night and that was really good in the same way :c00l:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

You hosed up because nobody is going to read past "if you literally have a perfectly mechanically game" and then they'll all fall over themselves to point out that ACTUALLY you're not as good as you think you are.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It's more that no one in this thread is going to play perfect mechanically so that fantasy example will never exist

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Body slam is one of those fun skills that you can flash during and really wreck people who didn't expect the range. I finally pulled off that Froggen flash Kassadin ult last night and that was really good in the same way :c00l:

The coolest one is with Shen, where you can taunt one person and then flash onto someone else to literally double the spell (and extend the range) with the flash.

(an extremely cool and attractive person will remember who did this in a pro game fairly recently and reply to this post with the clip)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

This doesn't ring true for me at all, Gragas is a super-popular and very good jungler at the moment, with good ganks, engage, and disengage. He's not someone that requires a PHD to play.

Junglers that I think of that fit that description better:
  • Fiddlesticks
  • Shaco
  • Kha'Zix
  • Skarner
  • Ekko
And the most binary "are you the lord our savior of jungling or a complete poo poo," Evelynn. An Eve player is just as likely to get four kills before first back as she is to get executed at level two.

poo poo you're right. I'm behind the times!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

henkman posted:

It's more that no one in this thread is going to play perfect mechanically so that fantasy example will never exist

If that's all you get out of that statement then you're completely missing the point.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No, I understand it. It's just a bad reply to a post saying that the only thing you can control is yourself so you're better off focusing on and analyzing your own play

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
After the game, no one cares who won. Seriously. It's like, a difference of 20LP and if you're a competitive person, you'll probably play hundreds more this season. So saying, "I couldn't win because [anything about other people]" is just masturbatory. Whether people are posting it in the thread, telling their team about it next game, or messaging someone in-game, it's pretty much write-only. That game doesn't matter any more, more on.

What does matter is whether you took away anything that you could do better.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Even pro players don't have mechanically perfect games so there is always gently caress ups you made that you can improve on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Lady Naga posted:

If that's all you get out of that statement then you're completely missing the point.

When you lose a game of League of Legends, you have two options:

1) You can say "poo poo, here are the places where I hosed up, if I had played better at those situations then probably the game would have been winnable"

c) You can say "My team was full of feeders, they're too heavy and I can't carry them."

What benefit do you get out of option C? You can't control your teammates. Even if you run with four other people every game, sometimes your teammates are just gonna feed.

If you take every game that you lose and look for moments where you misplayed, you'll be making the wrong choice far less often than if you blame your teammates and you'll improve a lot faster.

• Locked thread