Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Taking out Lunatic 9 stages is much more about having a decent well-rounded team composition than having a bunch of 5* units. You could easily do it with 3* level 40s if you have good coverage. Having overpowered 5* dudes just makes it comically easy and removes any of the challenge. This may end up changing with how future high-end story mode content progresses, depending on overall power creep. But that's really hard to say.

I think levels and team composition definitely matter more than star rating of your characters for the difficulties. I mean, the dancer character was handed out for free and she alone can turn even a lame team into a decent one just by virtue of letting your strongest unit attack or heal twice. The hardest part I find about higher level content is that you run into enemies that double up on you, or enemies that should be weak to your units not dying and killing your guys in retaliation. But that's almost entirely due to my characters being low level. If my characters were the same or higher level than the enemies they were fighting the situation would be reversed.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So I'm struggling with an abundance of good reds and I want some advice on teams I can put together out of these characters:

5*: Lucina, Lyn, Takumi, Y Tiki
4*: M Robin, Olivia
3*: Nino

I also have 5* Jakob and Cain and a handful of borderline 4*s (Cherche, Raven, Roy, Saizo), plus some 3* healers. M Robin is an obvious choice to 5* but I'm also considering dumping my feathers into Nino since a strong green mage might go better with lots of reds. If I had an Azura I'd probably try running Lucina/Lyn/Nino/Azura, but 3 reds with Olivia instead seems... not so good? I dunno, I wanna try to find a squad that both Lucina and Lyn fit on because I like both of them too much to choose. :kiddo:

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Looking for some team-building and pull tips. Here's what I got so far:

5*
- Effie
- Camilla

4* (and what I consider worth a drat)
- Abel
- Robin M
- Tharja
- Corrin M
- Roy
- Merric
- Nino (a failed pull on the new banner landed her, which was nice)

3*
- Olivia (Dance acquired, at least)

I was enjoying Reposition shenanigans with Selene and Effie, but I doubt that will carry me there far at max level. Mostly sitting at about the mid-20s on my most used characters, but I have yet to blow any stamina potions aside from one for orbs. Eirika's movement abilities looked interesting to merit another pull, but I'm guessing I need to be focusing on buffs in order to actually do well in arena. Also holy poo poo are feathers going to be annoying to get. Not looking forward to that.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

So I'm struggling with an abundance of good reds and I want some advice on teams I can put together out of these characters:

I also have 5* Jakob and Cain and a handful of borderline 4*s (Cherche, Raven, Roy, Saizo), plus some 3* healers. M Robin is an obvious choice to 5* but I'm also considering dumping my feathers into Nino since a strong green mage might go better with lots of reds. If I had an Azura I'd probably try running Lucina/Lyn/Nino/Azura, but 3 reds with Olivia instead seems... not so good? I dunno, I wanna try to find a squad that both Lucina and Lyn fit on because I like both of them too much to choose. :kiddo:

Lucina/Robin/Takumi is a strong core for arena that can handle a lot of threats, 4th slot can be Olivia/Y Tiki, Nino if you want colour coverage or even Saizo if you want a budget Kagero. Promoting Robin is definitely your best bet though imo

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

Takumi + Olivia can let you kite and pick off most of the cast. Y Tiki is your best durable unit, handles hector, and gets you at least one source of magic damage. Do what you want with the fourth slot, I wouldn't worry about beating Takumi enough to auto-include Robin, since as the human with a brain and a dancer your Takumi should win any fights.

FeralWraith posted:

Looking for some team-building and pull tips. Here's what I got so far:

5*
- Effie
- Camilla

4* (and what I consider worth a drat)
- Abel
- Robin M
- Tharja
- Corrin M
- Roy
- Merric
- Nino (a failed pull on the new banner landed her, which was nice)

3*
- Olivia (Dance acquired, at least)

I was enjoying Reposition shenanigans with Selene and Effie, but I doubt that will carry me there far at max level. Mostly sitting at about the mid-20s on my most used characters, but I have yet to blow any stamina potions aside from one for orbs. Eirika's movement abilities looked interesting to merit another pull, but I'm guessing I need to be focusing on buffs in order to actually do well in arena. Also holy poo poo are feathers going to be annoying to get. Not looking forward to that.

Effie, Camilla, Robin, Olivia is probably your best team given that you don't seem to have the units for a Nino or Tharja centered composition. Effie will deal with the sword lords and probably handles the less tanky manaketes, Robin is there solely to stem the Takumi tide, Camilla + Olivia should let you delete some people in most matches.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Since everyone else is asking about team comp I might as well too!

I've got the following spear users: Sharena, Oboro, Sully, Peri, Catria, Jagen, Shanna and Florina. Out of this pile of Cute Girls with Spears (and Jagen) who should I put on my main team? I've been sort of leaning towards Catria because of Armored Blow, but any given archer just deletes her.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I've got the following spear users: Sharena, Oboro, Sully, Peri, Catria, Jagen, Shanna and Florina. Out of this pile of Cute Girls with Spears (and Jagen) who should I put on my main team? I've been sort of leaning towards Catria because of Armored Blow, but any given archer just deletes her.

If we see less Takumis in the arena then probably Catria or Shanna are the best. If not I'd go with Sharena.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Sharena is the best choice currently. While Shana and Catria are on par and decent at their roles, there is not that many targets for them in the meta if we're talking about arena. If were talking about story or event stages, she still edges out due to buffs/debuffs being more versatile and on some stages preferred above single target assassination.

Everyone else you mentioned is fairly mediocre or just average.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

akulanization posted:

If we see less Takumis in the arena then probably Catria or Shanna are the best. If not I'd go with Sharena.

Speaking of this, thanks for whoever recommended I promote her to 5*, she's loving ridiculous

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Like others said, go for Sharena. She has: Rally Attack, Hone Defense, a skill that buffs her speed, and at 5 stars her unique weapon allows her to inflict -5 Attack and -5 Speed on surrounding opponents. Even if you level her up to 4 stars, Sharena will be a valuable asset to your teams.

Sharena's only big issue is her low resistance, but if you have someone with either Spur Resistance (Anna, for instance), Rally Resistance or Hone Resistance, that can be patched up and fixed easily. Otherwise, keep her from magic users and you'll be golden.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Unfortunately I rolled a not 5* Robin; is he worth pumping up to 5*?

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I don't have any really good mages so Oboro has been my saving grace for tanky spear/sword units since seal defence and her heavy spear usually allow Takumi to finish them off, and her rally defence can let you get a huge advantage in some situations. She gets everything she needs at 4* too, which is a big point in her favour. She also has threaten Res but that doesn't do much for my team comp.

Sharena is probably better at 5* though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Unfortunately I rolled a not 5* Robin; is he worth pumping up to 5*?

He's certainly worth pumping up to 4 at least.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

http://i.imgur.com/nksEKvF.png

Few questions about my stable. If I could upgrade only 1, which 4 should i turn to a 5*? Are Draug or Sheena worth leveling if I already have Gwendolyn leveled? Cecilia if Nino already leveled?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I like my Peri. She's super fragile but can zip in and annihilate a red unit pretty fast. Her skill combos with her weapon to give her some pretty decent damage buffs every couple of turns too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AradoBalanga posted:

Like others said, go for Sharena. She has: Rally Attack, Hone Defense, a skill that buffs her speed, and at 5 stars her unique weapon allows her to inflict -5 Attack and -5 Speed on surrounding opponents.

Sharena's spear is -4atk within 2 spaces. Still decent, but not amazing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I hope they cut the amount of feathers needed to level from 4* to 5* by a significant amount, because 20k is ridiculous

On a related note: new rolls! is there any decent way to farm orbs that isn't farming story? My highest levels are 33-35 and I'm getting loving demolished on same level maps.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That is still a 8 damage swing with her spur defense ability.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

tithin posted:

On a related note: new rolls! is there any decent way to farm orbs that isn't farming story? My highest levels are 33-35 and I'm getting loving demolished on same level maps.

There's no way to farm orbs at all. That said, there's a new Paralogue which gives out 9 orbs and is pretty easy.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

OxMan posted:

http://i.imgur.com/nksEKvF.png

Few questions about my stable. If I could upgrade only 1, which 4 should i turn to a 5*? Are Draug or Sheena worth leveling if I already have Gwendolyn leveled? Cecilia if Nino already leveled?

I don't really know what Draug's deal is, Sheena has really high res for an armor so if you specifically need a green unit that can soak magic damage she can be decent. If I was upgrading from that I'd go for Sharena, you have Young Tiki and Kagero already and you can round out the team with a dancer.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plus there's extra rewards for doing the paralogue missions. Only one extra orb but free stuff is never bad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sharena's spear is -4atk within 2 spaces. Still decent, but not amazing.
Sorry, forgot what the attributes of her unique lance was. My bad.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

tithin posted:

I hope they cut the amount of feathers needed to level from 4* to 5* by a significant amount, because 20k is ridiculous

There is no orb income of any kind once the story is done, but when they add new maps they sometimes gives orbs as rewards. We also receive daily orbs until March. Nothing announced on what happens beyond that. Presumably some type of standard daily log in reward system?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

tithin posted:

they're more likely to decide to drown us in feathers than reduce the cost

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

akulanization posted:

I don't really know what Draug's deal is, Sheena has really high res for an armor so if you specifically need a green unit that can soak magic damage she can be decent. If I was upgrading from that I'd go for Sharena, you have Young Tiki and Kagero already and you can round out the team with a dancer.

I have an olivia that's 3 stars that i can get to 4 but 3 of my 4 5* are already red so outside of colorless kagero i feel i need a blue or green 5* and my first choice is Nowi but i don't know for sure yet.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

OxMan posted:

I have an olivia that's 3 stars that i can get to 4 but 3 of my 4 5* are already red so outside of colorless kagero i feel i need a blue or green 5* and my first choice is Nowi but i don't know for sure yet.

A 3* Olivia still has Hone Attack 2 and Dance, and that's the majority of what you are bringing the unit for so don't feel pressured to upgrade. Nowi's a good unit but you already have young Tiki (who is easily your second best unit) which makes any improvement from slotting in Nowi unlikely to be worth 20k feathers. If you intend to use them together you'll be very vulnerable to the Falchion lords and Julia just wrecking your day.

tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011
What's a good team to build around Ephraim? Specifically one each for defense and offense.
Right now I have as five stars.

Reds
Lucina
Tiki
Ogma
Roy
Lilina

Blues
Ephraim
Linde

Greens
Camilla
Fae
Sheena
Julia

Neutral
Takumi
Jeorge
Kagero
Jakob
Elise

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
jesus

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

All those 5 stars and no good blue melee, lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
summoning Captain Ahab to the thread

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

tallboarLittlehand posted:

What's a good team to build around Ephraim? Specifically one each for defense and offense.
Right now I have as five stars.

Reds
Lucina
Tiki
Ogma
Roy
Lilina

Blues
Ephraim
Linde

Greens
Camilla
Fae
Sheena
Julia

Neutral
Takumi
Jeorge
Kagero
Jakob
Elise

Forget Ephraim. Your team is Linde, Takumi, Lucina/Tiki, Julia/Camilla. For defense Kagero Takumi Olivia (you probably have one its 3/4*) , Linde/Julia.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 16, 2017

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
How do you set a defense team? Is it just the leftmost team in your roster?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

OGS-Remix posted:

Yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OGS-Remix posted:

It's just the leftmost team in your roster.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guys, hector is kind of scary. I did a level 20+ training tower match while he was level 5, stuck him in a hallway with my healer behind him and just let every single enemy ram their face into his axe and he killed them all. Some of them were even red units.

tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011
Naw, that's mostly luck and like 200 dollars. I hit like once every two or so pulls. But naw I gotta rep my boy Ephraim. I'm thinking speed minus from Takumi along with plus attack from Elise and Liliana should work. But I'll take your suggestions into consideration.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Is it just me or are a lot of the new dueling maps heavy on choke points and trees? Like gently caress, I have 2 5* units and one is Cain, and I am already planning on replacing him, but this poo poo is just making it so much harder to use him in the meantime.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

tallboarLittlehand posted:

Naw, that's mostly luck and like 200 dollars. I hit like once every two or so pulls. But naw I gotta rep my boy Ephraim. I'm thinking speed minus from Takumi along with plus attack from Elise and Liliana should work. But I'll take your suggestions into consideration.

I’ll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition’s flames before I give him up. And this is what ye have shipped for, men!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

He's pretty good for a healer. But probably just take another damage character instead?