Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Cups (and the various spoons) are pernicious because manufacturers are poo poo. Use weight for your water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All measurements are poo poo, eyeball everything

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Having two measurement systems is an inconvenience in a lot of things. Remember US Metrification? I don't because that got cancelled like 50 years ago, way to drop the ball :911:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Scientastic posted:

All measurements are poo poo, eyeball everything

I measure everything by how I'm vibing with the ingredient.

"I'm really feeling this Szechuan pepper I say" as I add another 40 grams of freshly toasted and cracked Szechuan to my bowl of oatmeal.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I remember the old gas ovens having gas marks here in The Netherlands. They went from 1-10 and recipes would have both gas mark and degrees C.

Haven't seen one of those ovens in aaages though. Even though gas stoves are still very common, gas ovens aren't at all anymore. They are all electric nowadays. Recipes don't have gas marks on them anymore either.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Even swanky apartments here don't go for gas stove/electric oven units. It's all gas or all electric. I'm jealous, only thing missing from that setup is ditching the bottom drawer for a salamander.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I have a whole chicken, I'd like to do something more interesting than throwing it in the oven and roasting it.

I'm tempted to make chicken salad, but its kind of cold for that.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Trinidad Stewed Chicken. I made this recipe two days in a row it was so good, although I think I used cornstarch slurry to thicken it up a bit towards the end. Possible sides are rice and beans, braised cabbage, corn pie, or fried sweet plantains.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Human Tornada posted:

Trinidad Stewed Chicken. I made this recipe two days in a row it was so good, although I think I used cornstarch slurry to thicken it up a bit towards the end. Possible sides are rice and beans, braised cabbage, corn pie, or fried sweet plantains.

This looks terrific.

Will someone please reassure me, though? My brother bought me a 12-inch Lodge cast-iron skillet last Christmas and I have still never used it. Part of my fear is that I love recipes like the one above that call for some sort of partially acidic deglazing or braising and that cooking like I would like to will gently caress up my pan.

They say the way to season cast iron is to just start cooking with it, but should I go gentle on it at first? Or can I jump right in with a few *acidic braises and pan sauces?

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 12, 2019

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Baking novice here... I bake this pumpkin bread recipe a couple times every fall. It's delicious but a little dense. Is there something I can add to make it a little lighter/fluffier? An egg white? Or maybe just beat the butter/sugar/egg mix a little longer?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

DasNeonLicht posted:

This looks terrific.

Will someone please reassure me, though? My brother bought me a 12-inch Lodge cast-iron skillet last Christmas and I have still never used it. Part of my fear is that I love recipes like the one above that call for some sort of partially acidic deglazing or braising and that cooking like I would like to will gently caress up my pan.

They say the way to season cast iron is to just start cooking with it, but should I go gentle on it at first? Or can I jump right in with a few *acidic braises and pan sauces?

Congrats on the Lodge skillet! If you find that you like it, you'll use it for many decades. It is actually really hard to ruin them, as long as you do two things: season the pan well, and never wash it with soap or detergent.

My approach is probably not considered orthodoxy, but I use my cast iron ware (purchased in 1977) daily, for almost everything except making marinara sauce or boiling pasta. (I have a graniteware pan and a large stainless kettle for those.)

I think Lodge comes pre-seasoned, but even so, it is important to season it: rinse it, dry thoroughly, put a generous amount of coarse salt in and scrub with a rag (not an abrasive pad), tip out the excess salt but don't worry about getting it all, rub it inside and out with fat (lard is traditional but a high-temp vegetable oil like peanut works fine too), and put it in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or so. Then while the pan is still warm, rub the fat in some more, and it's ready to use.

To clean it after use, just wipe it out, scrubbing with more salt and oil if need be. (On rare occasions,I'll put a bit of water in the pan and heat to boiling, then scrape, drain, and rub with lots more oil to remove really stuck detritus.)

tl:dr - go forth and cook. Season your pan well to start, then make that chicken without worry; just clean the pan properly (and promptly) afterward. And remember that if it ever starts looking dull, you can always repeat the initial seasoning process to get it back to like new.

edit to add that there is one more thing to do but it applies to all cookware, I think: don't drop it or subject it to thermal shocks.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 12, 2019

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Even a little run of the mill dish soap won't be a problem once you've got some good seasoning built up- thought it's very rarely necessary. Never put it in the dishwasher and keep it away from any really high-test cleaning products.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Veritek83 posted:

Even a little run of the mill dish soap won't be a problem once you've got some good seasoning built up- thought it's very rarely necessary. Never put it in the dishwasher and keep it away from any really high-test cleaning products.

If dish soap stripped cast iron seasoning, you wouldn't need oven cleaner for your oven. It's the same polymerized oil as on cast iron. You can use whatever soap you want, as long as it's not lye based.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I just picked 10 gallons of satsumas/mandarin oranges off my tree. I usually snack on them over a few weeks straight off the tree, but early freeze meant pulling them all. What can I do with 10 gallons of satsumas besides just eat them?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Welp, I picked up a bag of fresh cranberries. They are weirdly satisfying to munch on, the texture is fun. What are some recipes I can use these bad boys in besides cranberry sauce?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Doesn't the UK use gas dial numbers for the oven? Not that it's an insurmountable confusion, just another reason people tend to stick to recipe sources that are comfortable.

OP also mentioned sourcing, which is fair.

Then there are competing terms. Coriander means cilantro (the herb) in the UK and the seed in the US. I like the sound of the words aubergine and courgette, but someone who hasn't ever learned those terms will think "well, I can't do that here, skip!"

At least it's not whistles in Indian pressure cooker recipes. My pressure cooker doesn't even whistle!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welp, I picked up a bag of fresh cranberries. They are weirdly satisfying to munch on, the texture is fun. What are some recipes I can use these bad boys in besides cranberry sauce?

This is good, couple different versions of this around. Some with other root vegetables, nuts and bacon etc.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/brussels-sprouts-with-balsamic-and-cranberries-recipe-2106799

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

I like to use them as part of butternut squash or pumpkin puddings. As in an english style pudding, not a jell-o pudding. This is sort of a sweet & savory recipe that I like making during the winter months.

Equipment: Cast Iron Skillet, steamer basket, saucepot with lid, electric mixer (stand or hand), parchment paper, cutting board

1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and gutted, chopped into 1" cubes
1 cup oat flour (you can use AP, too)
5 large eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup (could use brown sugar or sorghum molasses as well)
2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup cranberries, 3/4 cup to mix and 1/4 cup reserved
1/2 cup gorgonzola or bleu cheese crumbles
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 oz rum
Oil (coconut or vegetable)

Preheat oven to 375

1) If you have a steamer basket, then steam the squash until it is soft in texture and forks apart easily. You can boil it if you don't have a steamer basket, but I find the flavor is better when steamed.
2) Put all ingredients except the apple and 1/4 cup of cranberries into a large mixing bowl and blend together until a smooth batter forms. Depending on the size of the squash, add a little more flour if it's too runny, or another egg or more rum if it's too stiff.
3) Lightly oil the bottom of the skillet, then cut a sheet of parchment into a circle that can sit on the bottom of the skillet.
4) Arrange the apple slices and cranberries into a pretty design on the parchment. I like to do geometric patterns. Get creative.
5) Pour the batter into the skillet carefully so that it doesn't dislodge your apple and berry pattern
6) Bake for roughly 1 hour. A toothpick inserted into the pudding should come back fairly "clean" with no big clumps of batter hanging on it.
7) Allow to cool completely.
8) Slide a knife around the edge of the pudding to release it from the skillet. Then cover the top of the skillet with the cutting board and invert while holding a hand to keep the two together, so the pudding drop neatly onto the board.
9) Peel the parchment from the top of the pudding to reveal the apple and berry pattern on top. Slice and serve.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just picked 10 gallons of satsumas/mandarin oranges off my tree. I usually snack on them over a few weeks straight off the tree, but early freeze meant pulling them all. What can I do with 10 gallons of satsumas besides just eat them?

You could make a shitload of cordial for fun cocktails. You could make marmalade!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You can freeze them whole and eat them frozen as icy summer desserts, pretty popular that way in Japan. Or used to be anyway, not sure if they still do it.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Eeyo posted:

At least it's not whistles in Indian pressure cooker recipes. My pressure cooker doesn't even whistle!

This is fascinating, and I'd like to hear more about it if you have time

Weltlich posted:

I like to use them as part of butternut squash or pumpkin puddings. As in an english style pudding, not a jell-o pudding. This is sort of a sweet & savory recipe that I like making during the winter months.

Equipment: Cast Iron Skillet, steamer basket, saucepot with lid, electric mixer (stand or hand), parchment paper, cutting board

1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and gutted, chopped into 1" cubes
1 cup oat flour (you can use AP, too)
5 large eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup (could use brown sugar or sorghum molasses as well)
2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup cranberries, 3/4 cup to mix and 1/4 cup reserved
1/2 cup gorgonzola or bleu cheese crumbles
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 oz rum
Oil (coconut or vegetable)

Preheat oven to 375

1) If you have a steamer basket, then steam the squash until it is soft in texture and forks apart easily. You can boil it if you don't have a steamer basket, but I find the flavor is better when steamed.
2) Put all ingredients except the apple and 1/4 cup of cranberries into a large mixing bowl and blend together until a smooth batter forms. Depending on the size of the squash, add a little more flour if it's too runny, or another egg or more rum if it's too stiff.
3) Lightly oil the bottom of the skillet, then cut a sheet of parchment into a circle that can sit on the bottom of the skillet.
4) Arrange the apple slices and cranberries into a pretty design on the parchment. I like to do geometric patterns. Get creative.
5) Pour the batter into the skillet carefully so that it doesn't dislodge your apple and berry pattern
6) Bake for roughly 1 hour. A toothpick inserted into the pudding should come back fairly "clean" with no big clumps of batter hanging on it.
7) Allow to cool completely.
8) Slide a knife around the edge of the pudding to release it from the skillet. Then cover the top of the skillet with the cutting board and invert while holding a hand to keep the two together, so the pudding drop neatly onto the board.
9) Peel the parchment from the top of the pudding to reveal the apple and berry pattern on top. Slice and serve.

What a beautiful recipe! I will try this this coming weekend.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I got a 14 cup food processor as a gift awhile back and have found it's too big for most recipes I cook. Can I buy one of the smaller bowl sizes to use or do I have to get a new base too?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Depends on the food processor

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

spankmeister posted:

Depends on the food processor

It is a cuisinart

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have a dumplings (UK style) recipe that produces airy and fluffy and delectably light dumplings? I'm tired of following recipes and ending up with horribly dense and stodgy dumplings. My mum used to make them when we were growing up and they were always massive and delicious and soft and cooked throughout. I'm using suet with these, some flour, and some baking powder.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Last night I made some spaghetti carbonara, and I have a shitload of leftovers. Is there a good way to handle reheating these that will not suck? I imagine the egg could cause problems in reheating.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You're not really gonna reheat carbonara back to it's original deliciousness. It's hard enough with other pasta dishes.

IMO you should embrace the egg and make yourself a spaghetti frittata.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

You're not really gonna reheat carbonara back to it's original deliciousness. It's hard enough with other pasta dishes.

IMO you should embrace the egg and make yourself a spaghetti frittata.

Do this. If you really want to try, put it in a 200 oven and wait.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Last night I made some spaghetti carbonara, and I have a shitload of leftovers. Is there a good way to handle reheating these that will not suck? I imagine the egg could cause problems in reheating.
It's not gonna be as good, but microwaving on lower power for a longer time with some breaks in there works okay. I've always made a giant mess trying to reheat pasta in a pan.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

The only thing to really do is use each sorrowful bite of your reheated carbonara to pound the lesson into your head to only make enough carbonara to eat that night.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Scrambled spaghetti is good too

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

drat Bananas posted:

Baking novice here... I bake this pumpkin bread recipe a couple times every fall. It's delicious but a little dense. Is there something I can add to make it a little lighter/fluffier? An egg white? Or maybe just beat the butter/sugar/egg mix a little longer?

Beating the butter/sugar/egg mix a couple minutes longer, until it's very pale and fluffy will help. You could also try separating the eggs and beating the egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold them in last, after fully mixing in the flour mixture. The pumpkin puree is heavy so it'll never be light/fluffy like an angel food cake, but any way to whip in air will help lighten the loaves.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

captkirk posted:

The only thing to really do is use each sorrowful bite of your reheated carbonara to pound the lesson into your head to only make enough carbonara to eat that night.

i feel personally attacked for my past sins

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why is lamb so expensive? £13 for 1.3kg of shoulder at my local butcher, it hurts my bank balance. And most of it was fat and bone.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Qubee posted:

Why is lamb so expensive? £13 for 1.3kg of shoulder at my local butcher, it hurts my bank balance. And most of it was fat and bone.

Not helpful for now, but I've bought from these guys before and so am signed up to their emails. They send a lot of deals, most of it on chicken and cow but sheep does come up now and then.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ended up throwing the carbonara back in a pan with some olive oil and heated it until it started to crisp. Was kinda good?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Qubee posted:

It's lamb season in Australia and New Zealand. However, Australia is in severe drought and lots of farmers have only been able to raise a small amount of livestock this year. There are simply less lambs and the price here has risen sharply.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-07-14/why-lamb-roast-is-off-the-table/11306548

That's why lamb in the UK now is so expensive, you import it from us this time of year.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So it's safe to say the prices will drop when lambs actually in season here around Spring time? I might just start eating it seasonally cause I can't afford this even though I love it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Qubee posted:

So it's safe to say the prices will drop when lambs actually in season here around Spring time? I might just start eating it seasonally cause I can't afford this even though I love it.

Yeah, I reckon that's a fair assumption.
It's a good idea to try to eat as seasonally as you can anyway, not only is it cheaper but produce is generally tastier when it's in season for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Depending on your living situation and how much you like lamb it might be worth looking into a chest freezer so you can buy half or whole lambs