Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
War is definitely OSHA. I knew a KBR contractor who was basically trapped in a hotel in Qatar because his entire company was in the process of getting investigated by Congress. The base he worked at had AC units whose condensers drained directly into ungrounded electrical boxes. If the floor of the shower got too wet, people would get electrocuted.

I don't think America has much room to diss on other armies as far as corruption goes. We just spend so much the graft doesn't really impact our capacity for unmitigated genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This OSHA thread took a real sharp turn for the worst with a lot of hoo-rah going on in here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

War is definitely OSHA. I knew a KBR contractor who was basically trapped in a hotel in Qatar because his entire company was in the process of getting investigated by Congress. The base he worked at had AC units whose condensers drained directly into ungrounded electrical boxes. If the floor of the shower got too wet, people would get electrocuted.

I don't think America has much room to diss on other armies as far as corruption goes. We just spend so much the graft doesn't really impact our capacity for unmitigated genocide.

Also on the subject of military OSHA, we do a lot of training and certification for soldiers and contractors. One year we got a Navy contractor who came down from South Carolina to train and test. About 2 years later I got a call from the supply sergeant at his base, saying he never got his certification card.

It took me a bit to pull up all the info and find someone who remembered the guy. Apparently after failing his practical exam he just ran. Didn't try to retest or take any of his writtens. He got in his car, drove all the way back from Florida, and didn't say a word. Told everyone he passed and they'd mail the card. It took 2 years for them to finally realize he was still missing his card and called us.

I wish I was there to see the chewing out he got.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Serephina posted:

This OSHA thread took a real sharp turn for the worst with a lot of hoo-rah going on in here.

Hey a lot of engineering and effort goes into destroying others'engineering and effort. War is like the king of OHSA: please be safe when killing people.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

so what is their intended use?

back-gouging multi-pass welds

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

sandoz posted:

Uh oh we got a pro in the OSHA thread!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sandoz posted:

ok :confused:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

sandoz posted:

So like a sander? :shrug:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

dphi posted:

This one looks fun too

ive used these before, they're actually pretty good for carving wood

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How horribly unsafe would poo poo like a manned balloon tethered to a train be?

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-armoured-train-war-balloon-boer-war-88122022.html

Also, wow, is their search good!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Kanine posted:

ive used these before, they're actually pretty good for carving wood

that's what I thought it'd be good for. you could make your own chains too, i think? get smaller teeth involved?

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

madeintaipei posted:

I like picking out the re-used industrial bits. I think the troop compartment of that first one is the bottom of one half of a hopper-car, upside-down. The Syrian used car market is going to be seriously strange for a while.

It's an armored dump truck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

sandoz posted:

these are completely safe for their intended use

their intended use is not cutting lol

I don't know if you read the article but that is not a tool you can buy. That is an angle grinder with a carbide-toothed milling cutter mounted on the arbor, contrary to the directions of every angle grinder and milling cutter manufacturer on the planet. It sure does rip through metal extremely fast! But it is also extraordinarily unsafe and should not be used for any purpose, because the teeth have a tendency to grab into the material and twist the tool back into your hands or face.

You can make a (relatively) safe tool with similar functionality by mounting two counter-rotating cutters on the same shaft. That prevents the kickback that makes the single-bladed version so dangerous. But that tool is more expensive than just taking a cheap regular angle grinder and sticking an unapproved cutter on the arbor, so...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know if you read the article but that is not a tool you can buy. That is an angle grinder with a carbide-toothed milling cutter mounted on the arbor, contrary to the directions of every angle grinder and milling cutter manufacturer on the planet. It sure does rip through metal extremely fast! But it is also extraordinarily unsafe and should not be used for any purpose, because the teeth have a tendency to grab into the material and twist the tool back into your hands or face.

You can make a (relatively) safe tool with similar functionality by mounting two counter-rotating cutters on the same shaft. That prevents the kickback that makes the single-bladed version so dangerous. But that tool is more expensive than just taking a cheap regular angle grinder and sticking an unapproved cutter on the arbor, so...

I loved that thing in Fallout 3.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

I think he means like metabos are fine, if you are using abrasion discs because its just a motor on a stick, you got no leverage on it for anything else but it being mostly lateral force.

You can get hand rotary saws that look a lot like a metabo. I don't recommend it, but if you're like a shipyard and you want to mostly avoid your hired help going to the emergency room everyday you can get them. The extra side handle coming is huge to help to two hand it in a counter balanced way so you can, you know, have a lever's chance in not sending the thing into your face.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Nocheez posted:

"luckiest person in the world"

Pfft. I flew like 7,000 miles and drove over 500 in the past 8 days, and I didn't have any accidents. I've been way luckier than this bloke.

Same except I was having an orgasm the entire time.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/sgt_uraji/status/1130285412692324352

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

That appears to be a bunch of anime in the responses. Jose is not here rn. Wtf

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

sandoz posted:

Actually sane people who know what they're doing use a grinder disc or a gouging rod.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

torturemyballs posted:

Actually sane people who know what they're doing use a grinder disc or a gouging rod.

This is sanding right? Right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well played wasps, well played.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nierbo posted:

NWS NWS NWS
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uJhr_1558336456
NWS NWS NWS

Guy tries to train hop and loses something.

shoe’s still on his foot, he’s fine

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

shoe’s still on his foot, he’s fine

Does your brain even let you feel that properly or does it just put you in a state of shock and say "gently caress this, you're on your own"?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/EUdoBZT.mp4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

heh

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Train operator charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter of an officer and, after running from the cops for a couple miles before coming to a stop, resisting arrest and failure to pull over for an emergency vehicle.

...Prosecution agrees to drop the latter charges in exchange for a guilty plea on the former.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always liked trained but didn't know they were allies.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
They survived.

Deputy is 'banged up,' after collision with train, Painter says

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Unfortunate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://i.imgur.com/lAg3MIb.mp4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if you've a better idea on how to make toilet rolls id like to hear it

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Community asks "how could this happen?" after an officer-involved train wreck! Details at 9

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Other than eyepro (and maybe hearing protection, not sure how loud that would be) this doesn't look bad to me?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Other than eyepro (and maybe hearing protection, not sure how loud that would be) this doesn't look bad to me?

Seriously? Hands RIGHT NEXT TO BLADE. One slip and she's down a hand or a few fingers.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

PurpleXVI posted:

Seriously? Hands RIGHT NEXT TO BLADE. One slip and she's down a hand or a few fingers.

There's nothing to slip, really. The stage is pushing the roll, not her.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yes, any bladed machinery should ideally be operated by a distance via a bomb-disposal robot, or WALDO unit.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet
I saw an osha in the field once. When i told people about it they vomited.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

d3lness posted:

Does your brain even let you feel that properly or does it just put you in a state of shock and say "gently caress this, you're on your own"?

I mean realistically your brain probably isn’t going to start processing anything as pain until the lizard brain part is satisified that you’re not in further immediate danger, but yeah the “that’s my foot, what’s it doing over there” shock is going to be rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nazca posted:

I saw an osha in the field once. When i told people about it they vomited.

post about it