Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I've done this. Not to drive the car, but to take springs off the shock without a compressor.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I want say that many big zip ties costs more than a harbor freight spring compressor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sadly this took me more time to decipher than I wanted. Boobs? Boss? A Boss? Then realized it was boost. Hell to get old.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sadly this took me more time to decipher than I wanted. Boobs? Boss? A Boss? Then realized it was boost. Hell to get old.

It says "boobs" when you turn it upside down.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Uthor posted:

It says "boobs" when you turn it upside down.

A well calculated play.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Chris Knight posted:

For road trips in my Dad's '76 Pontiac Safari wagon, he bought a cup holder unit that fit over the transmission tunnel. Looks like they're still around. https://classicconsoles.com/floor-consoles/

I remember those, but they were usually the cheap plastic kind that always like to slide to one side or another in turns, spilling your drinks and anything else in the big tray up front.

um excuse me posted:

I've done this. Not to drive the car, but to take springs off the shock without a compressor.

I've had friends, family and even a few mechanics warn me off from taking off my own springs and that was with an actual spring compressor. I'd probably die a gruesome death if I went the zip tie route.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I've had friends, family and even a few mechanics warn me off from taking off my own springs and that was with an actual spring compressor. I'd probably die a gruesome death if I went the zip tie route.
Caution is definitely warranted, but it's not really that scary. I've done it a bunch of times, and it's really a common sense kind of thing, not a "secret thing that if you didn't know you'll screw it up" thing. Are you very accident prone?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

A friend of mine pushes my buttons by suggesting he's going to do something like that to lower his Fiero. He knows better; he's just needling me.

If you ever try to change the springs in your garage door, you'll hear the same kind of poo poo, that you will absolutely kill yourself and everyone within a half-mile radius. Yet I've managed that twice, and at least 3 or 4 pairs of struts, plus springs in several double a-arm setups. Nary a death to be found.

Also, tempted to try the zip ties on some of the more difficult ones. Seems like the spring compressor is never in the right spot, or short enough, or long enough, or something sticks out in the wrong place...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I've had friends, family and even a few mechanics warn me off from taking off my own springs and that was with an actual spring compressor.

I did the springs, struts etc in my car a few years back, and could have killed myself. I worked all day that Friday, went home for a two hour nap, had some food and then went at it. Starting about 7pm. I had everything installed and finished by about 4am and was tired as hell. I had an appointment for an alignment that afternoon so I was in a rush and probably should have left poo poo for later on the next day or something but didn't. I was taking apart the old stuff and had my impact on the strut nut, loosening it, and almost halfway off, when I realized, the spring compressors weren't on the spring.... :catstare:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've found many struts are no longer compressing the spring by the time the nut's wound up the top of the thread, so not had much issue with needing spring compressors there. Annoyingly, the jobs I often do need them for are the ones they rarely seem to fit for - rear springs onto trailing arms, or springs front/rear that seat into a spring pan on a lower A arm etc.

They're so cheap it's worth having a set, but you do find people like to say you should always use them, and that's not always true/possible.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

I want say that many big zip ties costs more than a harbor freight spring compressor.

When the only car you own is in pieces, you make due with what you have.

Luckily I only had to actually compress the spring a half an inch or so. What's a couple of hundred pounds between friends.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm the retard that lays the strut on the ground, sticks a foot on the spring, and blasts an impact on the strut nut. Nice to meet you :hattip:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Krakkles posted:

Caution is definitely warranted, but it's not really that scary. I've done it a bunch of times, and it's really a common sense kind of thing, not a "secret thing that if you didn't know you'll screw it up" thing. Are you very accident prone?

Personally, I think most people are just overreaching and it's NBD if done properly.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I use a decent set that look sturdy enough but take precautions like not using an impact, making sure I even the load and don't have the thing pointing at my face/chest. The compressors don't even look strained even when heavily compressed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Folks, don't gently caress with springs.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Trouble with the zip ties is that if one or two are weak and let go, you might find the rest getting overloaded and popping off like little itty bitty pantshitting firecrackers.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What's the name of the logical fallacy where you think that the number of times you've done something safely has some relationship to how safe it actually is? e.g. "We rode in the back of my dad's truck a thousand times. It was perfectly safe."

I remember it being cited in that case study of the space shuttle Columbia disaster.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Imagined posted:

What's the name of the logical fallacy where you think that the number of times you've done something safely has some relationship to how safe it actually is? e.g. "We rode in the back of my dad's truck a thousand times. It was perfectly safe."

I remember it being cited in that case study of the space shuttle Columbia disaster.

Survivorship bias?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Dr. Memory posted:

'fraid so.

this is cute and probably the direct result of an entire generation waiting too long to try their own sileighty :allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Imagined posted:

Normalisation of deviance? Where you push a machine to 110% of its rated capacity for so long that 110% becomes normal, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to push it to 120%.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Memento posted:

Normalisation of deviance? Where you push a machine to 110% of its rated capacity for so long that 110% becomes normal, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to push it to 120%.

That's the one! Thank you. I was trying to think of that one after all the posts about not needing tools to gently caress with heavy springs, it's fine.

'the gradual process through which unacceptable practice or standards become acceptable. As the deviant behaviour is repeated without catastrophic results, it becomes the social norm for the organisation.'

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
...so basically LS swapping an RX7

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Thief posted:

...so basically LS swapping an RX7

:hai:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Imagined posted:

'the gradual process through which unacceptable practice or standards become acceptable. As the deviant behaviour is repeated without catastrophic results, it becomes the social norm for the organisation.'
Like insisting on a certain method/tools to do a job, when it's not always necessary, and you can assess it and make a decision on how to proceed on a case by case basis.

Leads to an attitude that doing something a certain way makes it safe, and understanding/respect of the risks involved is diluted.

If you don't know enough to properly evaluate that, that's when you shouldn't be loving with it, "correct" tools or not.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 9, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Imagined posted:

I'll never understand why someone who can afford a Porsche but needs a big family car would buy a Cayenne. Like why wouldn't you get an XC90 or a Land Rover or some other luxury car made by a company that's been making luxury family cars for like 80 years instead of one made by a company that makes tiny race cars.

Because you want it to drive like a Porsche not an XC90 or a Range Rover?

That’s like saying why does anyone buy a sports car that isn’t a Miata, or a Corvette, or <insert name of single sports car here>.

This isn’t the USSR or Trader Joe’s, we can have more than one kind of thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/smokyburnout/status/1181780069464907776

I love vehicle nerds. (genuinely)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

Because you want it to drive like a Porsche not an XC90 or a Range Rover?

That’s like saying why does anyone buy a sports car that isn’t a Miata, or a Corvette, or <insert name of single sports car here>.

This isn’t the USSR or Trader Joe’s, we can have more than one kind of thing.

A vehicle that specializes in more than one kind of thing is either a) too expensive or b) sucks at everything it claims to specialize in. I don't know where the Porsche is on that but I am certain SUVs and sporty performance are opposite ideas.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 9, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
In case it had to be said, use the right tools especially on something with such massive potential energy. Compressing springs with the right tool done right is safe, despite the scaremongering that I grew up with too.

Think about it- on a normal road you're going 45 (or more) less than six feet from vehicles doing the same in the opposite direction. Huge potential energy. But you do it every day and don't think about it. Electricians work with massive heart-stopping amounts of power, but as long as they use the right tools and procedures they can do it for decades.

It just seems weird that in this one specific instance every normally mechanically apt person is BETTER BRING IT TO SHOP BRO YOU DON'T WANT THAT PAIN

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
While a zip tie can pop off and creat a chain reaction rivaling a fission bomb or whatever, they don't because you don't actually pull them all that tight. Maybe 50 pounds each? Those big ones pop at like 200. Plus how do you expect anyone to get them off if that were the case?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

um excuse me posted:

A vehicle that specializes in more than one kind of thing is either a) too expensive or b) sucks at everything it claims to specialize in. I don't know where the Porsche is on that but I am certain SUVs and sporty performance are opposite ideas.

Have you ever driven any of those three? ‘Specializes” is an interesting choice of word, because most of them will spend all their lives being driven like every other car on the road. Can you really not appreciate that one person might want the Swedish design and calm road manners of a Volvo, whereas someone else might want a big old Rangey that floats down the lanes, and a third person wants a more sporty drive?

No one is buying any of those three to go rock hopping, they’re for commuting and taking the kids to school and going to Costco.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No I have not. Which is why I said I didn't know what the Porsche is. But my statement about being sporty and being an SUV being opposite ideas remains true.

Saying that there are different kinds of SUV is like painting something using a brush you have to dip in grey paint before adding any colors. Sure there is going to be notes of color on that canvas, but unless grey is the color you want to use, why not just ditch it all together?

Replace grey with any color you want, to insinuate less. But SUVs are definitely the grey of the car world, to me.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 9, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

um excuse me posted:

:same:

cutting them is always fun

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I saw X-Men DOFP with some car buddies and one of them spied a bunch of 80's cars in the 70's scenes and he was losing his poo poo and went on a tangent about time travel influencing automotive design and I really wish I'd recorded it because it was amazing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great because every vehicle is period accurate (believe me I was paying attention).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Frond posted:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great because every vehicle is period accurate (believe me I was paying attention).

Yeah, I try to pay attention too with that. I always try to spot mishaps with cars.

Landmarks are also fun to try to spot. Can't remember the movie, it was some fairly recent movie set in the 60's/70's in DC. They were driving in a car having a conversation and I noticed the WWII memorial they drove by that was built in 2004.

edit: pulling out of my rear end, might have been the Mark Felt movie.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 9, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Frond posted:

The attention to detail in those LA shots is amazing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If I'm not mistaken I think that IT was supposed to have taken place around the early 90s in the first half of the new version.

Fake edit: Wikipedia say 1988.

There was a "town of Derry" truck for sale at the place next to my work a few years back. The place does movie cars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Usually Vehicle Services is on top of poo poo like that.

Frond posted:

Ditto. You better believe that Tarantino was the one being the stickler for period accuracy. Part of his schtick.
Cool movie, too. (Especially if you like feet?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'll say that Bumblebee seemed pretty period correct on cars and there was a lot of rad 70s/80s poo poo in it. It's also a pretty decent movie...