Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

FutureCop posted:

So I recently just beat Like a Dragon: Ishin! Yay! Had a pretty good time and all that, and was surprised at how much of the side activity I was doing as I usually don't go that deep. Thinking about that, I was a bit curious as to how people feel about the post-game content in these games: I do like me some boss fights and I've never gone against the famous Amon even once in this series and was wondering if it's worth it to get there, especially since I'm worried like it might be too much of a grind to do so and the combat would probably just involve spamming exploits, cheap shots and high stats instead of any sort of skillful play. What are people's experiences with this, and even not just in Ishin: is there perhaps a best game in the series to do it in?

gaiden amon is more gimmicky than balls hard, decent fight imo. obviously the turn based ones are alright. 6 and k2 amon are also reasonable, both to access and to beat. Both judgment amons are miserable bullshit and others are either way too tedious to unlock for what they are or also bs.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have never experienced post-game content because I do it all in the one playthrough like you’re supposed to.

:imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

FutureCop posted:

So I recently just beat Like a Dragon: Ishin! Yay! Had a pretty good time and all that, and was surprised at how much of the side activity I was doing as I usually don't go that deep. Thinking about that, I was a bit curious as to how people feel about the post-game content in these games: I do like me some boss fights and I've never gone against the famous Amon even once in this series and was wondering if it's worth it to get there, especially since I'm worried like it might be too much of a grind to do so and the combat would probably just involve spamming exploits, cheap shots and high stats instead of any sort of skillful play. What are people's experiences with this, and even not just in Ishin: is there perhaps a best game in the series to do it in?

I've been playing Y0 through 5 so far (currently on 6) and only one Amon fight got me to lower difficulty from normal (don't remember which though). The fight in 5 as Shinada was so goddamn painful though, I feared Akiyama would go just as bad but I somehow stunlocked Amon while kicking him around the arena. It generally takes me a few tries though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

gaiden amon is more gimmicky than balls hard, decent fight imo. obviously the turn based ones are alright. 6 and k2 amon are also reasonable, both to access and to beat. Both judgment amons are miserable bullshit and others are either way too tedious to unlock for what they are or also bs.

:imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny:

The LJ Amon has a gimmick that I don't exactly remember (its in CyricZ's guide) that involves those magic extracts

It was also the first and last time I ever pulled off the heat move that involves the dog so that was pretty cool

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Caveat that I have a short attention span and am REALLY bad at games, I do narratively interesting side stories and skip basically everything else that can't be cheesed through grinding or some combat challenges in k2 since the weapons in that game are absolutely busted. I've played every mainline entry this way and don't feel like I'm missing out on any part of the experience.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

gaiden amon is more gimmicky than balls hard, decent fight imo.

I just Tiger Dropped him over and over

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Amon of the North Star is incredibly underrated. Bullshit, but the funny kind.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Akira Nakao, who played Genda-sensei in the Judgment games, passed away from a heart condition. He was 81.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/sach56000/status/1793268705117475021?t=eLOKICutOr_QyHyijG4bvw&s=19

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, I just finished Infinite Wealth. First up, huge credit to Dialogue Scene Supervisor Kazuhiro Miyazawa, Script Writing Support Tsuyoshi Furuta, Scriptwriting and Acting Director Kazunobu Takeuchi, Total Director Masayoshi Yokoyama, and the various other employees who were integral to getting the character dialogue and the game's story put together.

So I've got quite a few words to say about this game because it was also a lot of game. First thing I'll say is that I didn't know Asakura was a MMA dude until the credits. Him being a reoccuring substory and character because of that makes a lot of sense.

I couldn't help myself and looked through the thread even before playing the game so I was spoiled on some things, and while trying to find some info on one of the characters through google I got more things spoiled. So I don't know how the game would've landed for me if I hadn't known in the beginning. Basically who all the main villains are.

Okay, so I know this is crazy, but I think this game doesn't have enough Kiryu in it. (Until his 20's) He's had such a weird loving life that I don't think that's nearly represented well enough. I want Normal Taxi driver Kiryu and Pocket Circuit enthusiast Kiryu, golfing Kiryu, disco Kiryu, Real Estate Tycoon Kiryu, etc etc. There's so much crazy stuff from his substories that I want that in here too. I wanted Kiryu to have like 8 unique jobs. End game spoilers But ah well, since he's dead maybe they'll add another extra protagonist who's a spirit detective and can talk to his ghost and get advice from him.

Chapter 1 It's a shame that Shuichi Kanbe isn't at Hello Work this game, he would've stuck up for Ichiban when that video started circulating. I know it's his first outfit and you can't go changing the iconic outfit that often but Nanba going from his job outfit back to the homeless man look is crazy.

Chapter 2 Eating that letter is some real exceptional thuggery, I cannot believe Ichiban didn't write the drat address down somewhere or take a picture of it or something. He's had help on how to use computers from that one guy at Hello Work I would think he'd know better even with 1 Intelligence! I really like what they're doing with Eiji, having guest characters that do things like throw buffs are a rad addition.

Chapter 6 It's very funny that Yamai's got ambitions of beating Kiryu here. Better men, guns, knives, swords and tigers than you have tried buddy.

Chapter 7 I'm getting some Stroheim and Nonomiya vibes from Yamai's handling shifting after we find out he didn't cut Kiryu open like a pig at a luau or something. Which is kinda nuts because he did burn down like 11 acres of forest to find us. Also, I'm kinda surprised it took this long to have a cult leader as a villain for one of these games. It kinda feels like it should've been way more common because nobody likes those guys. There's no sympathetic 'I'm so tortured and regretful about running this cult' stories

Chapter 8 Jo Amon breaking out of the side game limbo to become canon is bogus considering Komaki hasn't been relevant since Kiwami 1. Again, back on Nanba, going from his actual normal civilian with a job clothes back to the homeless man look while taking Kiryu to the hospital is loving insane. It's almost as crazy as the Also this is the point where the villains stopped being threats to me. Something about using a vtuber to spread misinformation really takes any punch out of Ebina as a threat. Also there's some random Crown enemy encounter by West Jinnai Station where they get a cutscene of them driving down the street and hang out. That was cool, I'd like more of that.

Chapter 9 This is loving unbelievable. We hosed it up just as badly as Saejima getting Taizo Kitakata killed in Yakuza 5. 'Hey we're underground and the only people who know where we are the three of us. Let's leave and go somewhere with some giant No More Heroes 2 windows so the snipers have a fair chance. 'Oh Akane and Lani were hiding out at sea so nobody could find them, genius! ...Okay, let's take them into the city to talk now, we can't use cell phones and video calls right now for some reason!' Eiji really went above and beyond to make sure we didn't suspect him. loving lidocaine applications.

Chapter 11 Well Eiji going mask off now made me definitely sure that we were going to kill him. That pipe bomb could not be real but that was still too hosed up for a redemption. Also I'll believe a lot of stuff in a Yakuza/Like a Dragon game but driving that excavator through the theater should've killed or put everyone but Tomizawa in a coma. Splitting up the party there was neat though, I liked it!

Chapter 12 loving annoying snitch rear end vtuber watchers, can't go anywhere without getting filmed. loving hell. I'm so mad that 'Somehow, Bleach Japan has returned'

Chapter 13 'Nele's Embrace' (A move where a Palekana believer pulls out a bundle of dynamite, cluches it to their chest and rushes at you) is an insane loving move but I'm also here for it. There's one other move an enemy has in the game where they give themselves a debuff in the process and it just makes me more excited for the next game. Considering they had kids performing armed executions on the beach I'm not too surprised that they're doing 'training rituals' where you have to kill your opponent. It makes sense that they're keeping all their insane cult stuff on that island away from the public. That said I can't believe that they corner him in that cave and he's out in the open about his evil plan and none of the Palekana people are like 'huh?' Like just general murmurs of confusion, I'm not expecting them to leave now. I'm so glad that Chitose turned the power of Vtubers against Ebina and reported something true for once.

Finale Lots to like here. Kiryu diving and throwing that grenade at that helicopter was insane and I don't think it got nearly as much acknowledgement as it should've from the party. Daigo, Saejima and Majima joining in as guest characters was great. Ebina knew that Bryce's plan was doomed to fail and fully aware of it was helpful because I thought it was complete garbage. I loved Kiryu using Ichiban's sincerity technique to talk to Ebina after the fight. Ichiban still reaching out to Eiji at the end is absolutely the kind of dude he is and I cannot believe that they made me come around on him after he got put a tear gas bomb on a child. I think considering the fact that they got Wong Tou's kid at the end they handled pretty much everything they brought up aside from the counterfeit mall under District Five.

As I was putting this post together I realized I should've been putting it together as I was playing the game, I would've had things fresher in my mind. I think it took way too long to unlock the 'Essence of' skills and the cutscenes weren't that great on the whole. That and the jobs in general, I've played Fire Emblem and I don't care for gender locked jobs for the most part. I dunno what the male demand for Night Queen might be so that's the only real exception I can think of.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho jobs should have some degree of segregation (if only to keep everyone from becoming TOO homogeneous) but like, two male/female exclusive jobs at most. There’s not really a reason you can’t have Shinobi/Kunoichi, or guy/girl just about any job except, idk, Linebacker? it would definitely help with the feeling that some jobs are straight up superfluous/unneeded for anything except the HP/MP bonuses leveling them gives, like Breaker, Geodander or Action Star if you just combined Geodancer with Pyrodancer, got rid of Breaker and just spread the Attack+buff moves out among the existing jobs if you really need to leave them in since Kunoichi does it’s only other thing (speed) better, Geodancer is just some okay heals and non-elemental magic and Action Star just feels like an admittedly novel idea that they just went “I dunno, blunt elemental attacks?” as their niche.

As for the story, broadly speaking i think the character beats and such are handled well enough in a vacuum, but when you look at it overall in terms of cohesion/pacing there’s definitely some cracks. Which, tbh is nothing new for like every LAD game that got too ambitious with its cast except 0, and at the end of the day I’m actually gonna think fondly of LAD8’s story and characters because they had great moments

Kiryu got as good of a send off as you could ever do taking into account he didn’t have his own full length game. The actual story is just pretty solid I guess but his campaign is largely an excuse to go down memory lane and have one last fight where he openly admits “I might have hosed up, if I had been the chairman I could have made things better” but idk if I’d feel quite the same without Gaiden to show the crushing sense of isolation he felt between the end of 6 and meeting Ichiban and the rest of his new friends in and make his things like memory stuff and coming back to Kamorocho with the oldschool PS2 version of Funk Goes On hit harder though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, so I know this is crazy, but I think this game doesn't have enough Kiryu in it. (Until his 20's) He's had such a weird loving life that I don't think that's nearly represented well enough. I want Normal Taxi driver Kiryu and Pocket Circuit enthusiast Kiryu, golfing Kiryu, disco Kiryu, Real Estate Tycoon Kiryu, etc etc. There's so much crazy stuff from his substories that I want that in here too. I wanted Kiryu to have like 8 unique jobs.

To be fair, this is basically why The Man Who Erased His Name exists (and why it's a stronger game overall)

I also thought it was crazy that Nanba immediately starts wearing his homeless clothes again, like he saw things were going bad and went "poo poo better break out the fingerless gloves and unwashed hoodie" lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked IW more than Gaiden and I'm not sorry

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Arist posted:

nobody asked you to be. own it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaiden had a better finale by a million miles, but IW was absolutely a better game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There were weaker parts of IW for sure and Gaiden definitely has one of the stronger finales, but yeah IW is one of my favorites in the series

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Oh yeah I liked IW a lot its just that Gaiden is like the perfect Kiryu sendoff so having a kinda half-hearted second Kiryu sendoff stuck into the middle of Ichiban's fun Hawaiian adventure feels weird, though I guess the fact that Gaiden was originally going to be IW DLC kinda half-explains it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m pretty sure IW is my new favorite RGG game tbh, they just did so much right

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

It's self inflicted because I insisted on beating the Colosseum before moving on to the end of the game but IW didn't have any frustrating moments where I was constantly getting my rear end kicked so I have to give it to IW too. Gaiden does have way better dynamic intros though. Somehow all of the ones in Like a Dragon don't have as much impact as they should. But I guess since we're not playing as Kiryu all the time they can't.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Every Yakuza game is my favorite because all of the characters are my friends, and they're real, and powerful.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

It's self inflicted because I insisted on beating the Colosseum before moving on to the end of the game but IW didn't have any frustrating moments where I was constantly getting my rear end kicked so I have to give it to IW too. Gaiden does have way better dynamic intros though. Somehow all of the ones in Like a Dragon don't have as much impact as they should. But I guess since we're not playing as Kiryu all the time they can't.

wong tou had a good one I thought. Its like 80% of what made him memorable lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

wong tou had a good one I thought. Its like 80% of what made him memorable lol

Oh fair, I meant more when you have to mash a button for a QTE. Like when you pick up that gold trophy bull head fighting Dwight. Minuscule damage and it also sounds like it barely even hurt.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I think the story and main villains in Gaiden were way better but Kiryu was so goddamn miserable and isolated in it that I liked playing IW more. It's nice playing Kiryu hanging out with (relatively) well adjusted friends.

Hoping the dress up mechanic shows up in later games that was really fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kiryu has seven entire games already

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solenna posted:

I think the story and main villains in Gaiden were way better but Kiryu was so goddamn miserable and isolated in it that I liked playing IW more. It's nice playing Kiryu hanging out with (relatively) well adjusted friends.

Hoping the dress up mechanic shows up in later games that was really fun.

Gaiden was the first time I enjoyed playing Kiryu in the Dragon Engine. Turns out that what I was missing was having 'Trained with Sotaro Komaki' reflected in his attack strings instead of whatever generic nonsense he had in Kiwami 2 and 6. Really wish they had just took Legend style from 0 and Dragon Style from Kiwami 1 and made that into his normal repertoire. I would've been all over that.

When Kiryu comes back as model swap DLC for the next game, I hope we have a standard edition and a definitive edition where he actually has scars and wounds from being shot and stabbed so often instead of somehow healing like it never even happened.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IW's really really good and I don't really have nearly as many complaints about its story as some do. I just had a great time with it all the way through

It helps that its combat is such a massive step up from Y7. It actually has me hoping that, when Yuji Horii was talking about changing up the Dragon Quest battle system in XII, what he means is adding moving around and positioning elements like in IW. (I also think that might be the case because you can move around in combat in DQXI but it never actually does anything.)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
One mechanic I hope appears later is collecting something from above. Yakuza is virtual tourism but so much of it is just looking on the ground for shinies. Gaiden was the first game where I actually looked at some of the lesser signs and it was amazing.
I also assume Brands would love to have something important placed next to their sign to guarantee you actually pay attention to the uber eats logo

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Speaking of tourism I was in Oahu last month and was stoked when I found out 88 tees and Matsumoto had Yakuza collab merch. Did they do that with other games?

Also it's weird going around Infinite Wealth's version of Waikiki if you're familiar with the real one but I loved exploring the game and seeing the comparisons.

I'm 100 hours into IW and I'm still not finished...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Speaking of tourism I was in Oahu last month and was stoked when I found out 88 tees and Matsumoto had Yakuza collab merch. Did they do that with other games?

Also it's weird going around Infinite Wealth's version of Waikiki if you're familiar with the real one but I loved exploring the game and seeing the comparisons.

I'm 100 hours into IW and I'm still not finished...

When I last stayed in Oahu I had a condo near where the Daidoji safehouse is, but there's a skyscraper with condos there instead of small houses / apartments. Still, the rest of it matches well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One nice little detail I liked was how much bigger and spacious the convenience stores in hawaii were vs japan. Walking around "like wow, the aisles are so huge" as though I haven't spent my entire life in stores like these. america is a real place i know

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really loved Infinite Wealth and the writing for everything outside of the villains was great. The party banter was fantastic. The interpersonal writing was fantastic.

The main conflict of the game? Lame as poo poo though.

I like what they did with Hawaii but I felt like it was too big. Yokohama is basically the biggest I would want their maps to be. The thing I like about Kamurocho is so much is layered on top of each other.

Once you get to Yokohama, things are a little more spread out. Hawaii is too spread out imo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I really loved Infinite Wealth and the writing for everything outside of the villains was great. The party banter was fantastic. The interpersonal writing was fantastic.

The main conflict of the game? Lame as poo poo though.

I like what they did with Hawaii but I felt like it was too big. Yokohama is basically the biggest I would want their maps to be. The thing I like about Kamurocho is so much is layered on top of each other.

Once you get to Yokohama, things are a little more spread out. Hawaii is too spread out imo.

I think that if you didn’t have to get off the Segway to say aloha to people I wouldn’t have minded but yeah. I ended up fast traveling more than usual for sure

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the segway should have turned off random battles.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait for RGG to pull a Square Enix and Remake the series in 6 years.

Nishikiyama lives! Yumi lives! Shintaro clubs that grenade out a window saving his and Haruka's lives! Mr.Shake down continues to menace Japan! Haruka's personality stays sassy past Kiwami 1!

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Just finished Kiwami 1 and having went from 0 to 8 and was kind of having a meh experience, but that late game sequence of Chinatown-abandoned building-boat-millennium tower was fantastic and made me like the main story stuff more then 0, I think. I'm a sucker for running up buildings destroying guys. Also got a kick out of Kiryu doing a mass shooting of MIA agents in gameplay but always going back to punching in the cutscenes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the segway should have turned off random battles.

Yeah, that should've been an upgrade once you got the full parties at the latest; encourages taking the sites since you won't get into random battles and instead you're likely to catch all the group talks you've missed in the previous 60 hours

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

joe football posted:

millennium tower was fantastic and made me like the main story stuff more then 0, I think. I'm a sucker for running up buildings destroying guys

You are going to love the rest of this series

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

joe football posted:

Just finished Kiwami 1 and having went from 0 to 8 and was kind of having a meh experience, but that late game sequence of Chinatown-abandoned building-boat-millennium tower was fantastic and made me like the main story stuff more then 0, I think. I'm a sucker for running up buildings destroying guys. Also got a kick out of Kiryu doing a mass shooting of MIA agents in gameplay but always going back to punching in the cutscenes

Yeah, K1 is probably my 2nd least favourite of the mainline series after Y3 (considering I was late to the party and haven't played the originals). However, you're now up to one of the best with K2. If you enjoyed that last finale, K2 has several bits that are going scratch the same itch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also wow, everyone used the downtime after Like A Dragon to the fullest. I can't believe that Nanba has abs too.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

The plot of Infinite Wealth has a lot of cracks because it's a sprawling game on the scale of 5 and also a this-time-for-real Kiryu send off, but I honestly felt really good about it overall. They really went all in on Kiryu learning how to rely on other people instead of being miserable in his stoic romanticized solitude all the time. A weaker writing team would have gone the other way around.

I truly respected Yokoyama's choice to get out of his own way at the very end, and not portray the details of Kiryu's reunion with the kids, his new deal with the Daidoji, how he gets back to the orphanage. None of that is important compared to the very last post-credits scene. The game already made its thesis statement, and it had the loving audacity to proclaim that the real Infinite Wealth was the friends we made along the way, and an Ichiban Kasuga story could have ended no other way. It doesn't really matter that his arc in the story ended in chapter 11, because he meaningfully changed what the story was about just by being in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

The plot of Infinite Wealth has a lot of cracks because it's a sprawling game on the scale of 5 and also a this-time-for-real Kiryu send off, but I honestly felt really good about it overall. They really went all in on Kiryu learning how to rely on other people instead of being miserable in his stoic romanticized solitude all the time. A weaker writing team would have gone the other way around.

I truly respected Yokoyama's choice to get out of his own way at the very end, and not portray the details of Kiryu's reunion with the kids, his new deal with the Daidoji, how he gets back to the orphanage. None of that is important compared to the very last post-credits scene. The game already made its thesis statement, and it had the loving audacity to proclaim that the real Infinite Wealth was the friends we made along the way, and an Ichiban Kasuga story could have ended no other way. It doesn't really matter that his arc in the story ended in chapter 11, because he meaningfully changed what the story was about just by being in it.

I mean despite my massive post about it, I still had a blast. The only things that bugged me were all balance related; taking so long to get access to jobs, the Kiwami skills and poundmates feeling kinda lackluster as cutscenes, in-combat QTEs and Dynamic Intros lacking real impact, etc etc. I just want people to start with three jobs that they can swap around to at the beginning of the next game and I'd be satisfied.