Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Johnny Aztec posted:

The Snarl doesn't kill you, it UNMAKES you. It doesn't matter if you were level 1 or level 30.

The Snarl, as explained by Thor, is MORE REAL than anyone, and anything, on that planet. As the Snarl is composed of makings from 4 Sets of Gods, as opposed to the current 3 Sets.

I'm level 31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

I'm guessing you got that much XP from grinding pigs?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Not quite, from what we've been told the reason the world works as a Snarl prison is that the gods are re-weaving the stands of reality from world 1 into new shapes each time, not creating it fresh from three quiddities.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I just assume the Snarl is like the Lady of Pain: your stats mean jack and poo poo against the embodiment of Rule 0.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I just assume the Snarl is like the Lady of Pain: your stats mean jack and poo poo against the embodiment of Rule 0.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

fool of sound posted:

Not quite, from what we've been told the reason the world works as a Snarl prison is that the gods are re-weaving the stands of reality from world 1 into new shapes each time, not creating it fresh from three quiddities.

No, it's 3 colors. That's why they have to remake it so much.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Wasn't it theorized that mortals would be more resistant to the Snarl as three colour beings than the gods are?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Colonel Cool posted:

Wasn't it theorized that mortals would be more resistant to the Snarl as three colour beings than the gods are?

If that were true the gods raised from 3 colour mortals should have an advantage compared to the 1 colour gods.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

No, all of the gods only have one color. Those adopted by existing pantheons got that pantheon's color, the Dark One got a new one. All gods are 1 color beings.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

No, it's 3 colors. That's why they have to remake it so much.

Oh yeah you're right, I was misremembering from one of the crayon comics.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I assume the Snarl doesn't really follow D&D rules in the first place, since the original world wasn't necessarily D&D-based.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
According to Shojo's story, the strands of reality weren't created by the gods in the first place. They took pre-existing strands of reality and used their power and quiddities to shape those threads together and build a world on top of them.

The threads themselves aren't divine creations. The gods used their powers to shape and weave those threads into a world, and there are bits and pieces of three-color divine creations holding it together in that shape to keep it from unraveling, but the threads themselves weren't created by any of the four pantheons and presumably aren't subject to the "more colors = better" rule.

I'm guessing that when the Snarl breaks free, the threads of reality themselves are undamaged - but it tears through the seams and gaps between those threads and rips apart the divinely-created three-color world holding those threads together, allowing the threads to unravel and come apart.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver2195 posted:

I assume the Snarl doesn't really follow D&D rules in the first place, since the original world wasn't necessarily D&D-based.

It probably was? The implication seems to be more that they're trying out different settings with the same relative underlying rules. Mostly because they imply the outer planes are contiguous (since they have to mindwipe the inhabitants every reset) so there are always alignment planes, Modrons etc hanging around.

That's at least my interpretation of what they're doing but :shrug:. It doesn't really matter too much for the sake of the story though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Vizuyos posted:

According to Shojo's story, the strands of reality weren't created by the gods in the first place. They took pre-existing strands of reality and used their power and quiddities to shape those threads together and build a world on top of them.

This is almost exactly the same as many real-world creation myths: Greek, Hindu, and to a lesser extent Judeo-Christianity. There was chaos, then gods came and shaped it.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Those sentient theater snacks most likely had stats, and I'll be disappointed if any world containing a laser snail isn't easily envisioned as a combat-heavy ttrpg.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I just put something together.
The reason there are so many ill-thought out monster races that have little more than one stat block and one paragraph of information going on for them is because of Fenrir's short attention span, isn't it?

God drat it, Fenrir.
What an elegant way to work into the setting all those ill thought out monster races that Wizards of the Coast crapped out to fill monster manual after monster manual.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
:siren: 1233 - Concerning Thoughts :siren:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Good discussion, important topic and as far as one liners go that one is above average. Bravo.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

That's some good meta commentary.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is it just me or was Durkon's accent a little thicker than usual this time?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:iceburn:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

God drat, Durkon. Go straight for the jugular. You sure you're not still a vampire?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ConfusedUs posted:

God drat, Durkon. Go straight for the jugular. You sure you're not still a vampire?

The learning went both ways.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ConfusedUs posted:

He may no longer be a vampire, but he did experience having one control his body and interrogate him. Some of that must have rubbed off.

Edit: gently caress, bitten

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Clarste posted:

The great thing about telepathy is that it works regardless of any language, meaning you can talk in whatever accent and still be understood

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Clarste posted:

Yeah, I had a tough time parsing out what he was saying there in the middle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's about frickin' time that the Order realizes that Durkon was the real hero in their midst all along.

Roy reads me as kinda salty about being upstaged, because he sure as hell has no grounds to be salty at Durkon for his own letting a vampire run around in his body for a week.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 30, 2021

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's about frickin' time that the Order realizes that Durkon was the real hero in their midst all along.

Roy reads me as kinda salty about being upstaged, because he sure as hell has no grounds to be salty at Durkon for his own letting a vampire run around in his body for a week.

Hard not to be a little salty when you’re getting your moral center beaten with a stick of your own making, even if it’s justifiably so, we all get defensive sometimes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's kind of nice that the characters are being forced to confront the hosed up morality of a hack and slash RPG, though didn't Roy already have this epiphany in one of the prequel books?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Defensiveness is a pretty common reaction when someone's flaws are pointed out. Roy's getting over it pretty quick if the final panel is any indication.

ConfusedUs posted:

:drat:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Random Stranger posted:

It's kind of nice that the characters are being forced to confront the hosed up morality of a hack and slash RPG, though didn't Roy already have this epiphany in one of the prequel books?

In Book 0, he stopped his pre-Order party from slaughtering a bunch of orcs because he realized they were trying to get into a concert rather than being stereotypical evil humanoids. Durkon was there too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Random Stranger posted:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In Book 0, he stopped his pre-Order party from slaughtering a bunch of orcs because he realized they were trying to get into a concert rather than being stereotypical evil humanoids. Durkon was there too.

On the Origin of PCs, page 46 posted:

rear end in a top hat Party Member #1: I don't understand, Ray.
Roy: Roy! ROY! My name is ROY, not Ray. Get it right!
APM1: Whatever. Why was it in our best interest to parlay with the orcs? We could have killed them and gotten the same XP and not wasted three weeks.
APM2: They're listed as Chaotic Evil, too, so we could kill them without alignment problems.
APM3: And we wouldn't have to listen to this crap music.
Roy: They weren't doing anything wrong. We're supposed to kill them because they like music?
APM2: Um, YES! We're adventurers, randomly killing things is what we do!
Roy: Yeah? Well count me out then. I may find that I need to kill creatures in the service of some higher duty, or for self-defense, but I refuse to kill anyone because it's slightly more convenient than talking to them.

Roy is absolutely the right person for Durkon to be having this conversation with right now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, if there were somebody sneakily overseeing the Order right now who explicitly sympathized with the plight of monster races and thought that the Order was just a bunch of worthless meatheads who were more likely to ruin anything than do any good, it'd be real convenient if they could specifically listen in on this conversation.

Although I also have my doubts about whether Redcloak would sympathize at all with trolls being similarly oppressed to goblins. He's pretty single-minded and went into that weird tirade about orcs.

We've also seen the Order in the comic proper be willing to negotiate with groups they were ordinarily enemies with before.
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html
Or perhaps more relevantly
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0553.html

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, if there were somebody sneakily overseeing the Order right now who explicitly sympathized with the plight of monster races and thought that the Order was just a bunch of worthless meatheads who were more likely to ruin anything than do any good, it'd be real convenient if they could specifically listen in on this conversation.

Don't worry, they went telepathic just so it couldn't be overheard. :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

We've also seen the Order in the comic proper be willing to negotiate with groups they were ordinarily enemies with before.
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html
Or perhaps more relevantly
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0553.html

552 is also a good example. "If you start zapping them we won't be able to talk at all!"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The real thing about it is, Roy assumed he understood the motivations of the globins. i.e. serve Xykon.

That's the difference between them and the prequel orcs, once he can ascribe a flat villainous motive to enemies, he's happy to murder.

I'm trying to mentally go through everyone sentient roy has killed, not merely beaten into submission, and not counting anyone finished off by belkar.
*Goblins and ogres from the Durokan's dungeon
*Some of the bandits
*Several more ogres, including one with a spiked chain
*Numerous hobgoblins
*Possibly some ninja, but it happens of screen I think
*Slaver bug people

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also a fuckton of Tarquin's soldiers, and some vampires.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although I also have my doubts about whether Redcloak would sympathize at all with trolls being similarly oppressed to goblins. He's pretty single-minded and went into that weird tirade about orcs.

I dunno though, he started out as a goblin supremacist who was willing to let hobgoblins die for laughs, and he eventually had that epiphany that hobgoblin lives mattered and that he should stop being racist in that sense. It doesn't seem implausible that he could get there about other humanoid races as well.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oona and Right-eye both have called him out on being more concerned with the Plan succeeding than any actual goblins, as well.

I don't think Redcloak will end up being the savior as which he portrays himself. I'm banking on Jirix coming back in a big way at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm still hanging out for the vizier guy from ochuls story to come back