Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Joementum posted:

Everyone except Trump, Fiorina, Carson, and Cruz.

If you don't mind - Why do you consider Huckabee to be in the sane pile?

Your list seems to be pretty much "policitians" vs. "not politicians"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GlyphGryph posted:

Sane doesn't mean "not evil".

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

That's something I've been wondering as an outsider, why does the Republican Party always put forward such embarrassing clowns? It seems like up until a few decades ago they were a more serious, respectable party. Even with Nixon I get the impression that he was knowledgeable and committed in his own way, though he might have been a bastard. Then Reagan got elected and it just kept getting worse and worse from that point. What happened? Who are these people talking about Harry Potter being satanic and 'legitimate rape' like it's the seventeenth century? They're insane and they're turning the US into a Third World laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the developed world. I don't know how it's even possible for that kind of political regression to occur, it seems to flout what you'd normally expect.

Here's a really good article and audio clip about the rise of evangelical capitalism that we see in the Tea Party today. http://www.npr.org/2015/03/30/396365659/how-one-nation-didnt-become-under-god-until-the-50s-religious-revival

NPR posted:

The New Deal had passed a large number of measures that were regulating business in some ways for the first time, and it [had] empowered labor unions and given them a voice in the affairs of business. Corporate leaders resented both of these moves and so they launched a massive campaign of public relations designed to sell the values of free enterprise. The problem was that their naked appeals to the merits of capitalism were largely dismissed by the public.

The most famous of these organizations was called The American Liberty League and it was heavily financed by leaders at DuPont, General Motors and other corporations. The problem was that it seemed like very obvious corporate propaganda. As Jim Farley, the head of the Democratic Party at the time, said: "They ought to call it The American Cellophane League, because No. 1: It's a DuPont product, and No. 2: You can see right through it."

So when they realized that making this direct case for free enterprise was ineffective, they decided to find another way to do it. They decided to outsource the job. As they noted in their private correspondence, ministers were the most trusted men in America at the time, so who better to make the case to the American people than ministers?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

everything Huckabee does is with the mindset of making him money and getting screen time for himself, he is very sane

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

I'd add in Tim Pawlenty, Gary Johnson, and Rick Santorum.

I'll grant you the first two, but Santorum? What makes you put him in the same category as Romney, Huntsman, Pawlenty and Johnson?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Montasque posted:

Speaking of the MINORITY vote...

SHOCK POLL: Trump Receives 25% of Black Vote in General Election Matchup

This story is blowing up in all hard-right circles right now as proof that Trump is going to take them to the promised land.

I guess that Labor-day reset will have to be postponed....

R-republicans are racists guys. You hear that blacks & hispanics? You b-better not vote Trump

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GlyphGryph posted:

richardfun posted:

I'll grant you the first two, but Santorum? What makes you put him in the same category as Romney, Huntsman, Pawlenty and Johnson?

Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum have truly vile ideaologies, but they honestly believe that poo poo and represent large groups of people who feel the same way. It's not like Trump or Cruz where they're putting on a show. Or like Cain or Bachmann who were just idiots.

And, yes, being elected a Senator or Governor makes you a serious candidate for President.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Narciss posted:

R-republicans are racists guys. You hear that blacks & hispanics? You b-better not vote Trump

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Joementum posted:

McCotter wrote a spy novel starring himself and his office staff rather than campaign.
Seems like a pretty reasonable use of resources given his chances tbh

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Narciss posted:

:agreed:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Joementum posted:

And, yes, being elected a Senator or Governor makes you a serious candidate for President.

Something about this claim chafes me, but I can't seem to get a good metric on what I don't fully accept about it.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Joementum posted:

Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum have truly vile ideaologies, but they honestly believe that poo poo and represent large groups of people who feel the same way. It's not like Trump or Cruz where they're putting on a show. Or like Cain or Bachmann who were just idiots.

Where do you stand on Jindal, in that case?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Something about this claim chafes me, but I can't seem to get a good metric on what I don't fully accept about it.

Are you suggesting that some governors might pale in comparison to others when it comes to seriousness?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Politics Junkie considers non-politicians nonserious candidates, tens of RSF posters shocked

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gregoriev posted:

Where do you stand on Jindal, in that case?

He's not going to win* the nomination (Huckabee and Santorum won't either), but he's a serious candidate. His ideas are in line with those of the Republican party and its voters.

(Unlike Trump, there is a small chance that any of those three could win, but they almost certainly won't.)

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Even Ronnie Reagan (PBUH) had the good sense to run for governor first, I don't see why Republicans think going straight from reality tv star to President is gonna work out great.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Well, there are always exceptions to the rule, like Paul LePage would not be a serious Presidential candidate, but it's a good rule of thumb.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Well, there are always exceptions to the rule, like Paul LePage would not be a serious Presidential candidate, but it's a good rule of thumb.
I think it's probably more fair to say that being a Governor or Senator from a core constituent or swing state makes you a serious candidate.

For the record, Rhode Island doesn't count as a core constituent state for the Democrats, just a safe state, so it's another way Sanders is breaking the rules.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 7, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

misdirectomy posted:

Even Ronnie Reagan (PBUH) had the good sense to run for governor first, I don't see why Republicans think going straight from reality tv star to President is gonna work out great.

Well, if Trump/Sanders win their nominations, it would work out great (even if they don't win the GE), in the sense that it proves that the party is beholden to its voters' whims, instead of the other way around. In this sense republican voters are less deciding on who is most likely to win the GE (nobody in the repub primary), and more deciding on breaking the notion that they need to lubricate the Politics Hole and slobber anyone the Kochs puts on a podium.

This is an overall good for anyone interested in political parties that best represent their voters, even if you don't necessarily agree with the voters' choice.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

He's not going to win* the nomination (Huckabee and Santorum won't either), but he's a serious candidate. His ideas are in line with those of the Republican party and its voters.

One of the many, many things that amaze me this election is how many serious election machines are presenting candidates that do not seem serious in the least. Like, Jindal has a logo and everything, but his campaign is DOA. Bush has this huge infrastructure donation pool and he can barely answer a handful of questions from the press without taking multiple takes to the face like a 1920s comedy routine.

At some point we need a better word than "serious" because it's very difficult to see any of these jokers as that.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Saying that being a Senator or Governor makes you a serious candidate for President sounds weird because every single candidate with those qualifications is in one way or another a Stupid rear end in a top hat

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Well, assuming they got elected and served the full term, they have years of executive or high level legislative experience. If you're looking at a resume for the Presidency, that's the sort of thing you would expect. While they might be madmen with little to no actual chance of winning, they do potentially have the professional qualifications to do the job, and if the nature of Republican politics didn't encourage them to embrace the madness and go whole hog on theocratic tyranny, they might be professional enough to do well by the American people.

As it stands, they're all acting like lunatics because that's pretty much what's expected of them. Unless Kasich somehow gets the nod, I expect whomever wins the nomination to pull towards the center, to try and express a certain amount of temperance of deference to the government process, even if just to depress Democratic turnout by not seeming like a proto-supervillain. I'd expect Kasich to pull a McCain and go right, since he seems to be trying to be the not insane guy right now, so he'd have to try and motivate the freepers in the general.

Edit: Trump does what Trump wills. I have no idea how or if his rhetoric would change in the general election.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CheesyDog posted:

Saying that being a Senator or Governor makes you a serious candidate for President sounds weird because every single candidate with those qualifications is in one way or another a Stupid rear end in a top hat

It's a pretty smart way to ensure your establishment's longevity, by convincing your voters that it's impossible to successfully nominate any "nonserious" (aka: already involved in the politics game) republican candidates, when in reality it's pretty simple: vote for whoever you want, serious or nonserious, then throw a shitfit if the establishment tries to gently caress with delegates.

Republicans have learned this and will vote en masse for Trump, Labour has learned this and has already voted en masse for Corbyn, and hopefully Democrats learn this as well. If there's anything I'd like people the world over to take away from politics by the end of 2015, it should be how useless all these crony-favoring hoops are to the actual election process.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 7, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
The hill is saying Trump beats Hillary in head to head polling.

Let's loving do this.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

All the same, someone like Lindsey Graham, who has all the right credentials and yet is openly despised by his party (his approval/disapproval is -30 among Republicans and consistently polls 0% and has no support even in the state he's represented for over a decade) strikes me as far more of a vanity candidate than, say, Carson. Carson is at least the evangelical factional candidate (a powerful role held by 2012 runner-up Santorum and 2008 runner-up Huckabee). Lindsey Graham represents literally no one.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Trump will drag us, kicking and screaming, onto the Golden Path, where we will enjoy Trump's Peace for five thousand years. We detest him and yet Trump himself still loves humanity, even though he is no longer a part of it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

The hill is saying Trump beats Hillary in head to head polling.

Let's loving do this.
People are going to go "hey did you hear about this one poll where Trump is beating the Democrats head to head" for the next three months, as 30 polls that say the opposite come and go

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JT Jag posted:

People are going to go "hey did you hear about this one poll where Trump is beating the Democrats head to head" for the next three months, as 30 polls that say the opposite come and go

On the flip-side, every rep. primary poll tends to show the republican choices nosediving against the democrat choices, because the republican primary favors pandering to the republican base which is objectively smaller than the democrat base. The polls will likely be more interesting when the GE starts and the republican nominald trump pivots to the obvious moderate openings he opened in the primary.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

At some point we need a better word than "serious" because it's very difficult to see any of these jokers as that.
Joe meant "serious" as in "serious person, not like those clowns Trump and Herman Cain"
Other posters meant "serious" as in "seriously thinking of running for president, not like Jindal or Perry"
That's why putting Santorum in the serious category might have sounded weird at first.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Patter Song posted:

All the same, someone like Lindsey Graham, who has all the right credentials and yet is openly despised by his party (his approval/disapproval is -30 among Republicans and consistently polls 0% and has no support even in the state he's represented for over a decade) strikes me as far more of a vanity candidate than, say, Carson. Carson is at least the evangelical factional candidate (a powerful role held by 2012 runner-up Santorum and 2008 runner-up Huckabee). Lindsey Graham represents literally no one.

Graham represents the war hawks, a powerful constituent group in the Republican party.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The confusing part is the point where you consider Walker "orgasms on-stage at the idea of war, always looks like an idiot, gives garbage answers" more serious than Trump "energizes the republican base and the building across the street, dominates every debate despite strutting through minefields" because one is being paid by Koch.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Patter Song posted:

Well someone's gotta speak up about how great Iraq war 3.0 is going to be.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

NotJesus posted:

Joe meant "serious" as in "serious person, not like those clowns Trump and Herman Cain"
Other posters meant "serious" as in "seriously thinking of running for president, not like Jindal or Perry"
That's why putting Santorum in the serious category might have sounded weird at first.

Correct. I was trying to make a distinction between candidates like Mitt Romney and Herman Cain. Rick Santorum will never win the nomination of the Republican party, but that doesn't make him a joke candidate like Cain, Bachmann, Carson, or Trump.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Neurolimal posted:

The confusing part is the point where you consider Walker "orgasms on-stage at the idea of war, always looks like an idiot, gives garbage answers" more serious than Trump "energizes the republican base and the building across the street, dominates every debate despite strutting through minefields" because one is being paid by Koch.

Not because he's getting paid by the Kochs. Because he got people to vote for him and was elected to a political office. Trump's never done that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If he wasn't so self-centered I'd hope Trump's entire campaign was a Penn Gilette from Alpha House stunt.

"Mr. Trump, congratulations on winning the Republican nomination. Your polls went up 3% last week. Thoughts?"

"Did it? Really? Hah. I was on vacation last week. I didn't do anything and the numbers still went up." Trump stares straight into the camera. "America, I'm a former reality show star. I called Mexicans rapists. I insulted John McCain's war record. And now I'm the Republican nominee for this Presidential election. I haven't even held political office. How am I qualified to be President? This is a joke. This whole political process is a joke. You need to reassess your sad lives. What the hell were you thinking? Whatever, I'm done, enjoy the White House Hillary." Trump grins bemusedly, shakes his head and storms offstage.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I don't care about the actual facts, I just want the faint chance of it coming true because it's hilarious.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

I seem to be the only person who actually got your joke. :golfclap:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Graham represents the war hawks, a powerful constituent group in the Republican party.

I'd consider war hawk a second order classification, though. People are hawks because of 'X' belief, not for the sake of being a hawk itself, and those beliefs are all better served by other candidates at the moment who are all equally willing to tell other people to kill for them.

Military industrial is more a lobbying group than a constituency

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

This statement is as true as it is irrelevant to the fact that there are plenty of Democrats that still don't like Hispanics, and if they all switched to voting Republican the Democrats would have a bad time of it.

Democrats are already only winning the minority of white votes in presidential elections, presumably due to the definite switch in the parties platform endorsed xenophobia starting in the 50s and 60s. I am definitely not saying that every Democratic voter likes Hispanic, but the original word you used was "hate". That implies a strong enough emotion to override any others, and I have trouble seeing how any voter that outright hated Hispanics would then go out to vote for a party that would seek to benefit them.

Outside of truly, truly low info voters. But I'd love to see the data on that, if you got any. I've only found stuff on the racism gap between democratic and republican voters regarding blacks: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Piquai Souban posted:

He can count on the vote of less than 10 satisfied Trump University students, assuming the rest don't vote.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...n=NYDailyNewsTw

Donald Trump is completely ruining the reputation of get-rich-quick scams. Somebody alert Robert Kiyosaki and Armando Montelongo!

• Locked thread