Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doom Rooster posted:

I just let it cool, filter it, and put it back in the bottle(s) it came in.

Same. You don't have to really be delicate with the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Related question, how do you dispose of the used oil?

I don't deep fry very often and I tend to put the oil back in it's original container and then just put it in the bin.
I also wipe off oily cooking equipment with (recycled) paper towels before washing them so that less oil goes down the drain.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Helith posted:

Related question, how do you dispose of the used oil?

I don't deep fry very often and I tend to put the oil back in it's original container and then just put it in the bin.
I also wipe off oily cooking equipment with (recycled) paper towels before washing them so that less oil goes down the drain.
My city of greasy southern people has such a problem with people dumping their used shrimp frying oil down the drain and clogging up the sewers that they have free drop off points where you can pick up a container and bring it back for disposal.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Yeah I rarely deep fry anything unless the occasional mozzarella in carrozza counts. My issue is the volume I fry means I rarely use a whole bottle of oil and I don’t want to combine used and unused oil.

Maybe I’ll just use an old milk bottle after I let it cool, will I have issues if I use a plastic container to store it afterwards?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

amenbrotep posted:

Maybe I’ll just use an old milk bottle after I let it cool, will I have issues if I use a plastic container to store it afterwards?

No, you'll be fine.

I save old oil and take it to my local dump, which has an oil barrel that gets turned into biodiesel iirc

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
We're doing a low-key Friendsgiving this year, which we are omitting dairy from so that we can both have a delicious bird and still invite a friend who keeps kosher without her having to pick and choose what she eats.

The star of the show is going to be cider-braised turkey parts, and I volunteered to make a potato dish. What would go best with that? I was thinking of either a mashed potatoes with olive oil, or I've had scalloped potatoes before made with coconut milk/cream that were pretty good, but I've never made either.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

EVG posted:

We're doing a low-key Friendsgiving this year, which we are omitting dairy from so that we can both have a delicious bird and still invite a friend who keeps kosher without her having to pick and choose what she eats.

The star of the show is going to be cider-braised turkey parts, and I volunteered to make a potato dish. What would go best with that? I was thinking of either a mashed potatoes with olive oil, or I've had scalloped potatoes before made with coconut milk/cream that were pretty good, but I've never made either.
These are a bit of trouble but really loving good:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/forked-oven-roasted-potatoes

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

EVG posted:

5 lbs of red potatoes to 2 cups (add as needed) of Chaokoh coconut milk has been my go-to for years. It works great.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/277312/roasted-smashed-potatoes/

these roasted smashed potatoes look great, perhaps give them a go?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I'm looking to have two problems diagnosed here, if you please.

Scenario: trying to cook hash browns with a new pre-seasoned, then personally seasoned (three times in the oven at 500°F) cast-iron pan

I melted 1 tbsp. of butter in the pan then sauteed some minced onion in it. No issues. I then grated one small yellow potato into the pan, which began to stick immediately and got tangled into a big clump., and which left an stubborn brown film of potato crust on my pan.
  • Q1: What did I do wrong cooking hash browns? Did I grate them too finely? Not use enough oil? Are you supposed to soak coarsely grated potato in water so it doesn't become so starchy? Should I have parboiled the potato? Would I have been better off chopping the potato?
  • Q2: How do I gently unfuck my still fairly new cast iron pan? I am currently trying to soften up the film by simmering water in the pan. I have one of those chain mail scrubbers I'll try to use later, then I may try seasoning it in the oven one more time today before storing it.
Thank you for your advice.

Edit: the film came off pretty easily just by simmering water and scraping with a plastic spatula

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 23, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

DasNeonLicht posted:

I'm looking to have two problems diagnosed here, if you please.

Scenario: trying to cook hash browns with a new pre-seasoned, then personally seasoned (three times in the oven at 500°F) cast-iron pan

I melted 1 tbsp. of butter in the pan then sauteed some minced onion in it. No issues. I then grated one small yellow potato into the pan, which began to stick immediately and got tangled into a big clump., and which left an stubborn brown film of potato crust on my pan.
  • Q1: What did I do wrong cooking hash browns? Did I grate them too finely? Not use enough oil? Are you supposed to soak coarsely grated potato in water so it doesn't become so starchy? Should I have parboiled the potato? Would I have been better off chopping the potato?
  • Q2: How do I gently unfuck my still fairly new cast iron pan? I am currently trying to soften up the film by simmering water in the pan. I have one of those chain mail scrubbers I'll try to use later, then I may try seasoning it in the oven one more time today before storing it.
Thank you for your advice.

Use more oil, parboil the potato first, then grate it, I find it easier & more consistent that way.

Chainmail scrubby should take care of it no problem.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

:negative: Yeah that’s basically what I got:

a few days late, but....
Peruvian Anticuchos de Corazon

Hot and fast is where heart should be.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So one of our customers is a duck hunter and brings over duck breasts for one of the chef's and I (not for the restaurant to serve obv). I wanted to make something for him that I can bring over to where he works that's easy for him to reheat at home but I can't really think of anything. Any ideas?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just made fried chicken for the first time to make some fried chicken sandwiches and I'm happy enough with the coating flavour but it fell off pretty badly once I started cooking it and was crispy on the outside and soggy on the inside in places. I did a flour > buttermilk + egg wash > flour coating and wondering what I need to do to make sure it adheres better and isn't soggy in places. I know I need to use more oil next time because some of it stuck to the bottom of the pan though

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So one of our customers is a duck hunter and brings over duck breasts for one of the chef's and I (not for the restaurant to serve obv). I wanted to make something for him that I can bring over to where he works that's easy for him to reheat at home but I can't really think of anything. Any ideas?

Does he only bring beasts? Think you could get him to bring you some legs to confit?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Jose posted:

I just made fried chicken for the first time to make some fried chicken sandwiches and I'm happy enough with the coating flavour but it fell off pretty badly once I started cooking it and was crispy on the outside and soggy on the inside in places. I did a flour > buttermilk + egg wash > flour coating and wondering what I need to do to make sure it adheres better and isn't soggy in places. I know I need to use more oil next time because some of it stuck to the bottom of the pan though

Look at karaage recipes they usually use potato starch and give a thinner crispier crust that might or might not hit what you're going for

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jose posted:

Got a thermometer? Sounds like either you started at too low a temperature or the temperature took a nosedive once you added the food.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jose posted:

Old school fried chicken in my experience is just chicken + flour and fried. If you want to marinade or dunk in buttermilk, go buttermilk (drain well)>flour then let it rest on a wire rack for 5-10 min or so. The rest seems to help the coating adhere better, as does longer, cooler (Start at 350-375, but let it cook at 325ish) frying. That being said, using buttermilk will make a much thicker coating that is much more prone to going soggy than just flouring and frying. Regular milk + egg will give a thinner coating than buttermilk if you want a thicker crust than just flour. The nice part using only flour is that the skin really fries so you don't wind up with a crispy coating on top of chewy skin.

My next batch of fried chicken I'm gonna try marinating in buttermilk>let the buttermilk drain completely and dry chicken> flour> rest> fry, and see if I can get the benefits of the buttermilk marinade without the gloppy crust.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is the best, easiest fried chicken method imo. Just add your own seasoning https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-easier-fried-chicken

You still can't be completely cavalier when transferring/flipping the chicken, but it does set you up for success

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Got a thermometer? Sounds like either you started at too low a temperature or the temperature took a nosedive once you added the food.

Yup.
Oil temperature control is a real bitch with home frying. Fried chicken is a little more tolerant then more delicate things, but it has a lot of thermal mass, so I would advise you to start with the oil temp HIGHER then your target temp. Not too much, or the coating will burn, but enough to keep your oil temp from sailing right past the minimum temp.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Thumposaurus posted:

Does he only bring beasts? Think you could get him to bring you some legs to confit?

breasts only sadly

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I was under the impression that you never add water to a hot frying pan when cooking with oil. Yet, at 3:46 of this video, the chef just dumps water into the frying pan to "prevent the contents from burning".

I was taught to never do this. Was I taught wrong? Hell, at the end of the video, he is straight up frying some vegetables in a pan, and adds boiled potato slices right into the frying oil. Is this safe?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 24, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The reason you're taught to not add water to hot oil is cuz it splatters and possibly overflows the pan and then you'll burn your house down like all the turkey fryer videos on YouTube.

If you know what you're doing it's fine.

The rule is a house safety rule, not a food safety rule.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It really has more to do with the amount of oil in the pan. Where you have to be super careful is in deep frying, or where there's a legit puddle of oil in the bottom of the pan. Adding water to that risks flash boiling that will at very least make a mess of the stovetop, and at worst will cause an oil fire or serious burns.

However, in this case he was doing something that was closer to deglazing. I'm a little baffled he used water for it, and not broth, wine, or some other flavorful liquid - but, it's a technique that is used frequently in braising. You use scant oil in the pan, brown your meat and vegetables, then quench it with a liquid quickly before bringing that to a simmer and letting it cook low and slow until the meat is super tender.

e;fb

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.
So I've been going through and putting into my recipe google doc a bunch of recipes out of a Molokan 1960s era cook book collected in a primarily Molokan area of LA. My maternal grandfather's side of the family was made up of Molokans who had fled from Russia shortly before WWI due to persecution and a loooot of their recipes focus on dairy products.

I came across a recipe though which googling hasn't proven helpful regarding and I'm curious to know what it's supposed to look like and if anyone knows of any modern versions/adaptations. Here's the recipe (sorry for the photo quality, was taking a lot of pics of the book at the time):

Googling cerneekee just turned up stuff about a google employee, and googling Pyatigorsk obviously just brought up stuff about the city.

I've gathered from the rest of the book and research that hoop cheese is a very young cheese often made at home or in stores and purchased the day of use or shortly before. I read a modern equivalent would be a very mild cheddar.

Or is there a better thread for this sort of question?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just a transliteration issue. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrniki

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's a recipe for these (you can find a zillion recipes all over the Internet). Your recipe makes bite-sized ones of course but the general principle is the same.

edit: goddamn it I was just slightly too slow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GlassLotus posted:

So I've been going through and putting into my recipe google doc a bunch of recipes out of a Molokan 1960s era cook book collected in a primarily Molokan area of LA.

I would like to know what part of LA

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.
Thanks for the fast response both of you! Transliteration issues are quite plentiful in this book, so that makes sense.

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to know what part of LA

I was told it was called the Russian Flats at the time but I think it's normal name is Boyle Heights. I'm not from LA though and have only been told bits and pieces about my grandpa's family history since he's been descending into dementia for most of my life.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GlassLotus posted:

So I've been going through and putting into my recipe google doc a bunch of recipes out of a Molokan [...] a loooot of their recipes focus on dairy products.
Is that why they're called molokan or is it a coincidence?

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 25, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Any recommendations for a good Japanese style blade? I have a Victorinox which serves me well but it has seen a decade of use and I was thinking of connecting with my inner weeb and getting something different for a chefs knife instead of a direct wursthof replacement.

I heard shun classics are overpriced, but I am looking for something that vein. I like the look. Budget up to 200 bucks.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm a big fan of MAC, get whatever model fits your budget in the size you want.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

dex_sda posted:

Any recommendations for a good Japanese style blade? I have a Victorinox which serves me well but it has seen a decade of use and I was thinking of connecting with my inner weeb and getting something different for a chefs knife instead of a direct wursthof replacement.

I heard shun classics are overpriced, but I am looking for something that vein. I like the look. Budget up to 200 bucks.

Honestly, my Shun is great and I love it. I have the Ken Onion one. Looks like a lot of their chef's knives are on Amazon for around ~100-150.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Was it this thread where someone posted a recipe for artichoke empanadas? I can't find the post now. I made them and they were pretty good. I added a bunch of cayenne to the filling and froze most of them for lazy dinners later because I'm too much of a snob to just eat instant ramen like everyone else. Anyway thanks, whoever shared that recipe.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

EVG posted:

Honestly, my Shun is great and I love it. I have the Ken Onion one. Looks like a lot of their chef's knives are on Amazon for around ~100-150.

I was thinking of it but then I stumbled on a handmade one juuust in my budget with lost of recommendations by a japanese blacksmith so I went with that. It's me, I'm the ultra weeb.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

dex_sda posted:

I was thinking of it but then I stumbled on a handmade one juuust in my budget with lost of recommendations by a japanese blacksmith so I went with that. It's me, I'm the ultra weeb.

You monster. How can you post that with any sort of link or info?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

captkirk posted:

You monster. How can you post that with any sort of link or info?

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm/

There are polished ones for three times the price but I actually prefer the rough look.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Looking at that page now I may have ordered the literal last one. Heh.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Anybody know how long I can keep miso pickled vegetables safely in the fridge?

I have a recipe for miso pickled garlic that says 6 months. But that's just for garlic. I would imagine it varies for different vegetables? I recently pickled a bunch of snap peas, carrots, daikon. I've had them in the fridge for about 3 months or so. They tasted really good and I didn't die. Just have not found any definitive answer about max fridge time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/the-food-lab-southern-fried-chicken-recipe.html

I use that recipe as the basis for chicken fingers for a picky crowd.

Like the Weekend Recipe recipe posted earlier, this uses the fry to get the crust how you want, and then finishes in the oven to get the meat to temperature rather than trying to do both at once and compromising on the crust. Additionally, the Serious Eats recipe adds corn starch to the coating (in addition to the baking powder that both recipes add).

I use a large cast iron skillet with just enough oil in it to come up halfway when 4-5 pieces of chicken are in it, with a candy thermometer clipped to the pour lip. Since I'm using smaller pieces of chicken than the recipe calls for, I don't aim for the 425F temp that it calls for (which is pretty close to the smoke point for the suggested oils), but it is expecting the temperature to drop from 425F to 300F when you add the chicken to the oil. Starting the oil at the temperature you expect to cook it at is going to have issues.

As others have said, if your batter is sticking, your oil is probably too cold or your batter is too wet. Letting the coated chicken sit on a wire rack for a few minutes to let the wet layer and the coating meld helps also.