Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Danger posted:

I love POTP Optimus but can’t get myself to grab Rodimus yet. Granted I just picked up Grotusque and mp-25 today. May wait for unicronus for some diversity since I like tr hot rod.

I'm planning on getting POTP Rodimus over Optimus. But the appeal of Orion Pax is growing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stopped in at TRU on the way back from the motorcycle show today. POTP Deluxes! No Dinobots, just pegfuls of Dreadwinds and MAGA Jazzes. Thank you, Calgary, for living up to my expectations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I resent the overuse of character death in general, rather than just inconsistent rules. There's no benefit to the writing. You're not winning any points by dropping these dudes like redshirts, although I guess it does retroactively justify how surprisingly large the crew of the ship is.

If you have a character totally skewered, torn to pieces, shot, and they drop down, never to be seen for the rest of the issue, that's for all intents and purposes, a death, even if a couple months later you lead with "Aw, no he was totally fine, why'd you think he was dead after the death scene?" There's no particular distinct difference in what the writer is trying to do, both the real deaths and fakeout deaths seem pretty shallowly manipulative, just the fakeouts also carry the weight of "I wanted to pull at your emotions more, just I didn't respect the reader enough to risk the story I'm writing for the emotions I'm trying to provoke." It can also be that he's too attached to some of the characters to let them die, and he ranks his emotions as a writer than the emotions of the reader.

Authors who don't have a real bad habit of murdering characters like crazy don't get accused of things like this.

There's a reason why I'm in favor of having Cybertronians be immortal but not invulnerable, so we can still have big destructive fights

Plus I like the tension it introduces with how can a war be resolved when neither side wants nothing less than the complete destruction of their enemies but no one can die

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Phy posted:

Stopped in at TRU on the way back from the motorcycle show today. POTP Deluxes! No Dinobots, just pegfuls of Dreadwinds and MAGA Jazzes. Thank you, Calgary, for living up to my expectations.

Fwiw I was also way more excited for the dinobots but find myself actually fiddling around much more with Jazz and Dreadwind. They are underrated.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
TBH I think I'm more interested in the femmebots and/or terrorcons this time out... Or might just save my money and see how Predaking is. It still stings a bit missing out on Devastator.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Danger posted:

Fwiw I was also way more excited for the dinobots but find myself actually fiddling around much more with Jazz and Dreadwind. They are underrated.

I notice Jazz is no longer in the Deluxe case assortments being put out on shelves, presumably to scrub the MAGA off him.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Man, Sunstreaker is very good. MP line is killing it lately.

The realistic lambo mode is also very nice.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adM6ntU5IJQ

So I just discovered this video from Ben's Collectibles on the latest MP-36 KO from Infinite Transformation. And I thought it was pretty neat, since it kept the original transformation unlike Wei Jiang's version and the colors are nice. Might be the best one of the bunch.

But then he dropped this update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sZ3CAusWPA

For 90 bucks I don't think I could *not* pull the trigger to have Frank's voice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the IT looks to be the winner of the Megatron wars. I paid my invoice to TF-Direct for it like a week ago, just waiting on a shipping notification.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah the IT looks to be the winner of the Megatron wars. I paid my invoice to TF-Direct for it like a week ago, just waiting on a shipping notification.
Ah, the Megatron Wars. We lost many a Dollarbot during that dark time...

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

I'm putting my bet on the Infinie! And I don't mean Sonic Forces.

Edit: The THF KO gets some bonus points for having Megs' voice from Transformers Devastation and that box art, at least.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 7, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

I'm putting my bet on the Infinie! And I don't mean Sonic Forces.

A set of Sonic characters that transform into the band Hoobastank, make it happen hasbro.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Any 90 dollar MP-36 KO will disappoint. It's almost guaranteed to tear itself apart.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Any 90 dollar MP-36 KO will disappoint. It's almost guaranteed to tear itself apart.

Does that same logic apply to Wei Jiang?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Just like all my other MP KOs that have broken over the years?

Which is none btw.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In a perfect world I would grab MPP10 and Wei Jiang Megatron and just never transform Megatron. Just always keep him in robot mode.

If I want a gun I can just either get one that properly transforms or go buy a real one for the same amount of money for the official guy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Danger posted:

I would like Jazz a lot more if his shoulders weren't so floppy and flimsy feeling, otherwise aside from that lovely maga tampo he's pretty good

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I let my Sunstreaker preorder go because I decided I'm happy enough with BadCube's guy since he's not one of my favourites, and save a little money.

So obviously time to splash out on the Ultra Magnus reissue instead!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I would like to sell CHUG/Generations Kup, in perfect condition, loose and complete with his rifle and instruction manual. He has only ever been transformed ONCE, and is displayed in an adult collection in a smoke-free, pet-free home, yada yada yada.

Whatever I get for him, I plan to put toward buying the Takara LG46 Kup. And then, whenever I get him, my intention is to sell Recoil, Kup's Targetmaster, in case anyone has the Titans Return Kup and might want Recoil to go with him.

I would also consider trading my CHUG Kup for your Takara LG46 Kup, and to make it more fair, you could keep Recoil.

Anyone interested in any version of that plan?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In reference to the KO Megatron, the main reason they can charge so little is they didn't have to pay for the design or engineering. They stole the CAD file and just have to sort out material tests.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Well, at least he's honest that his scripts are part of the problem

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/949701797031153665

He says that, but Rung and Ultra Magnus's heads exploded early in MTMTE and they were okay later. Yes Ultra Magnus had a little man inside him so that's why he was okay. And the next issue they were like "uhhh well Rung's brain didn't blow up, only the rest of his head".

Phy posted:

My local Walmart still has pegs and pegs filled with Wave 1 of Titans Return. And that's all they've ever gotten. It's really bad.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Gammatron 64 posted:

He says that, but Rung and Ultra Magnus's heads exploded early in MTMTE and they were okay later. Yes Ultra Magnus had a little man inside him so that's why he was okay. And the next issue they were like "uhhh well Rung's brain didn't blow up, only the rest of his head".

And then Minimus's head was crushed later, because the little man had a littler man inside

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Huh. I just remembered that I bought a Takara Godbomber. And it hasn't shown up yet. :checks Ebay: Tracking not updated in two weeks, dude for delivery Thursday and it was from a trusted buyer with 9 negative feedbacks out of 3000. Wonder what's up with that.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Trasufoma/status/950188954514534402

Beachcomber just got better.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

And then Minimus's head was crushed later, because the little man had a littler man inside

To be fair, making Ultra Magnus a Russian nesting doll with a little man inside him was kind of neat because his original toy was like that. But it's kind of diminished because while we may harp on it constantly, it's because Roberts does it constantly and like you said, he literally did the little man trick twice in a row.

We all know that comic book deaths are dumb and that characters who die will almost always come back later with some bullshit reasoning. Although it's usually months or years later and it's done by a different writer who wants to use a character somebody else killed off. What makes James Roberts' writing style kind of... unique is that these comic book deaths will get undone by the same writer and in literally the next issue a lot of times.

I feel like Roberts' strengths are world-building and characterization. I think that's why a lot of people went really wild about MTMTE when it started. But he sucks at plotting and eventually his stuff just didn't feel like it was going anywhere and had no focus. Plus, while a lot of characters were likable or at least interesting, I stopped caring what happened to them.

The early IDW comics by Simon Furman had a similar issue in that there were a million different story arcs going on at once and it wound up unfocused and incoherent. There's a lot of Transformers characters who are all very fun, and I think there's a real temptation for Transformers writers to want to play with all the toys at once.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I think I started questioning when this...

an oddly touching and emotional moment in a book about giant robots was followed up next issue by...

thereby completely invalidating any sort of response I had. I know that a few weeks after this he did a Q&A on twitter and people were rightly asking not why he killed of Cyclonus, but brought him back immediately with that explanation, and his response was basically "my story, my rules"

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

an oddly touching and emotional moment in a book about giant robots was followed up next issue by...

thereby completely invalidating any sort of response I had. I know that a few weeks after this he did a Q&A on twitter and people were rightly asking not why he killed of Cyclonus, but brought him back immediately with that explanation, and his response was basically "my story, my rules"

Oh hey look it’s when I stopped reading that comic book.

Do we know everything slated to come out as part of Titans Return or will there be additional reveals? The list on tfwiki seems really anemic.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I'd say we only know the first half of the year at most.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It's a little late but I don't know what my top transformers are and I'm terrible at these things because years kind of start to blend together and I always forget what I got during the year.

Best MP is probably Sunstreaker. I would say Megatron because his robot mode is basically perfect, but I have to knock some points because I'm probably never going to transform him into gun mode ever again.

Best legends is probably Brawn, best deluxe is one of the targetmaster guys, best voyager is G2 Laser Prime I guess (I think Titan Returns' Voyagers are kind of on the sucky side to be honest), best leader is Sixshot or Overlord.

It's almost like he's trying to sabotage his own book. Why would you keep doing this? It's not fooling anyone, it's just conditioning the audience to not invest themselves emotionally or care about what's going on because anything could be a fake-out and probably is.

This is kind of like when someone decides to be a dick and tease their dog by pretending to throw a ball. And they keep doing it again and again and eventually the dog is like "gently caress you man", stops listening to you and would give you the finger if they had them.

This might not be the best metaphor because some dogs are pretty dumb and will keep falling for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New look at that ROTF Megatron we're getting this year.

There's also a leaked list recently that shows we are getting not only an MPM Ironhide this year, but possibly a new MPM Bumblebee too. The speculation that this will be based on his VW mode in his movie, but it might also be his 1976 Camaro mode.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The MSJ posted:

There's also a leaked list recently that shows we are getting not only an MPM Ironhide this year, but possibly a new MPM Bumblebee too. The speculation that this will be based on his VW mode in his movie, but it might also be his 1976 Camaro mode.

The new MPM Bumblebee is part of the movie assortment so I'd expect it to be the Beetle. Also some indication that, as I expected, Barricade will be in the movie, establishing their supposed "rivalry" in the Bay films.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The MSJ posted:

God all this Neo Movie stuff looks loving spectacular. I feel bad for everyone who has Broke Brains and can't appreciate a decent Bayformer design.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I think part of Roberts thing is angry fans who will get unreasonably mad if a character dies and Hasbro actually giving a gently caress and getting mad if Dead character then is getting a new toy. Even though TF comics are selling less than the already irrelevant sales of big comics are.

Early IDW seemed open season because who FUKKEN CARES if obscure to most people G1 post cartoon cast eats it? Or a secondary S1-3 character?

Well now? Hasbro obviously cares if just for copyright and naming reasons. Hence why we have multiple NOT BUMBLEBEES running around the IDWverse and another major death has already introduced a new character with the same name. For reasons. Business ones.

Plus yeah it's comics where death is a joke and most stories don't matter because corporate or the next writing team will just override it. This is why comics make me angry in a disappointed way. I'm reading like a single active Marvel floppy because Squirrel Girl is more comedy and none of it really gets too affected by the next idiotic crossover nonevent. Also ROBOT T REX ULTRON. D.C. I'm only reading Scooby Apocalypse and it's not main anything. (And hopefully won't turn to poo poo like He Man did when Dan Abnett took over.)

Still I do overall enjoy the TF IDW books in spite of the bashing they seemed to have gotten from Day 1. Except for the TFTM Deviations one shot. That was shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I should put down the book permanently but i keep seeing people get excited about it in here so I try again and lol tricked yet again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really gotta wonder what the attitude of the editors and other writers is at this point when James Roberts asks to have a character. He's already got a whole load on the Lost Light because he called dibs or whatever, but so far it's bad news for the characters who go from other comics to his in the last few years. Ravage and Rook dead, and Megatron ditched in another dimension after his redemption plot went nowhere.

In the first half of MTME, James Roberts demonstrated a real skill for building characters out of nothing, but now it feels like he really values his ability to do the biggest most dramatic deaths possible, because that's what all of his stories have been funneling towards, even if he keeps second-guessing himself occasionally.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

Plus yeah it's comics where death is a joke and most stories don't matter because corporate or the next writing team will just override it. This is why comics make me angry in a disappointed way. I'm reading like a single active Marvel floppy because Squirrel Girl is more comedy and none of it really gets too affected by the next idiotic crossover nonevent. Also ROBOT T REX ULTRON. D.C. I'm only reading Scooby Apocalypse and it's not main anything. (And hopefully won't turn to poo poo like He Man did when Dan Abnett took over.)

I realize I'm posting in BSS but you kind of touched on why I got fed up with Marvel and DC and stopped reading them like a decade ago. I got tired of dumb storylines, constant crossovers and nothing actually mattering. You need to be able to tolerate those things to read anything from the big two, and I kind of can't so I decided they aren't for me. When I was actually reading MTMTE, I was getting Transformers and Star Wars on Comixology and that was it. Eventually I just got bored and stopped giving a poo poo about even those.

I'm not gonna lie though, somebody showed me the art in Gwenpool and it's so good that it makes me really tempted to read it because of the artwork alone. It looks so good that I wouldn't really care if the story sucked.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a filthy weeb and manga is better than American comics and that I think Goku would kick Superman's rear end

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Goku would kick Superman's rear end

You sonofabitch!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shots fired.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gwenpool's real good. In addition to having a great artist, it's written by Christopher Hastings of Dr. McNinja fame. There are a few issues where they swap out the artist though, since Gurihiru's probably a busy dude with the Avatar comics and all those Power Pack miniseries.

The big comic book companies, especially the ones with shared universes all have bad habits with swapping out creators and abruptly interrupting storylines with events, but indie comics and web comics tend to be more consistent like manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Gwenpool's real good. In addition to having a great artist, it's written by Christopher Hastings of Dr. McNinja fame. There are a few issues where they swap out the artist though, since Gurihiru's probably a busy dude with the Avatar comics and all those Power Pack miniseries.

Too bad it's canceled.