Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

site posted:

tbf there are some trap skills early on if you're going through your first time. like, you might think shield and melee are actually be useful because those are among the first major skills introduced, but they extremely aren't

Why would you use melee when there's a shotgun

Why would you use a shotgun when you can just hit them with a vending machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
because you get melee before either of those

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm just going to point out part of why the Outter Worlds was cool and good is your NPC companions were not fuckable. So you could just be a cool friend and not accidentally tip into romance. Hell, there's specifically a cute arc about helping a dorky crewmate navigate romantic feelings for another NPC. Even though that crewmate was specifically written to be a waifu. I don't know if it was shameless pandering that they wrote her to be a mascot the internet would adopt, or incredibly funny they checked like every box for nerds to obsess with her then did that.

I felt a thrill when I was able to tell Parvati that "We have that in common, you know" It's not often you get that option in a dialog tree.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Anime games are horribly embarrassing because of the "sexy" stuff and the aforementioned giant titty waifu problem. Like I think I could enjoy Anime if it was all cool robots, or weirdly dressed people using magic powers and dumb swords and poo poo.

But as soon as there's a hint of a girl with stupidly oversexual proportions and they're clearly there for weebs to wank off to, then I'm out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was extremely cool helping my asexual lesbian daughter go on her first date, actually

hell, that was the only part of the game i enjoyed

vvv flying dudes always dodge the first strike, so shoot first to force the dodge animation, and then launch after the dodge to hit. energy refills are better suited to using weapon mods that reduce launch cost or refilling energy or something instead of wasting early launch damage advancement. imo

site fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 23, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I felt melee was the only trap upgrade in Control. Since combat is always pretty lethal, and no unlock ever compensates for how long melee locks you into the animation and non existent tracking on melee.

Also the goon advice to go full glass cannon & pump everything into launch before health and energy is probably why follks had so much trouble. Starting with health and energy was the winner's tactic imo. You wind up less screwed over by the flying dudes who are largely immune to launch and more energy still helps you get launch kills since you can do it more often/it already is 1 or 2 shotting most enemies or ragdolling them without upgrades early on.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 23, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

site posted:

it was extremely cool helping my asexual lesbian daughter go on her first date, actually

:yeah:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been playing Project Zomboid a little bit over the last few weeks and don't know whether I love it or hate it

Like obviously it's an unfinished game with a notoriously slow dev team, so I can't really ask for a lot. And I've definitely had some fun screwing around.

At the same time it seems mega pointless. Once water and power get cut, there's only really one goal to set for yourself: establish a little base so that you can do anything else, then do little side projects while surviving for as long as you can. That's both good and bad, I guess. I like the open world experience of having an entire town to explore during a zombie outbreak, but ultimately it feels lackluster after awhile. There are only so many times that I can think in my head "I guess I'll clear that next block"

After awhile I'm left wondering if I'd be having even more fun playing something else. It doesn't have the freeform bizarreness and panache that Dead Rising survival had; Zomboid desperately needs the ability to make goofy weapons and outfits. It doesn't have the creativity possibilities of Minecraft or Terraria. There is a little bit of story, and I've read that NPCs are coming, so that'll be good. Multiplayer should also be coming back once the current beta branch gets solidified. Like I can see the niche that this game might serve, but it still needs so much more work and has been in EA since 2013.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fridge corn posted:

Yeah persona 5's messaging is all over the loving place

Kind of the issue when you got a game about young cool punks being written by old nerdy programmers probably

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quote-Unquote posted:

But other than that I am joining the fridge corn "Mass Effect Andromeda is cool and good" club because I'm enjoying this game quite a lot.

:hai:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Mass Effect Andromeda was a lot of fun and I loved the mix and match class system.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm just going to point out part of why the Outter Worlds was cool and good is your NPC companions were not fuckable. So you could just be a cool friend and not accidentally tip into romance. Hell, there's specifically a cute arc about helping a dorky crewmate navigate romantic feelings for another NPC. Even though that crewmate was specifically written to be a waifu. I don't know if it was shameless pandering that they wrote her to be a mascot the internet would adopt, or incredibly funny they checked like every box for nerds to obsess with her then did that.

Yeah this was cool. It really irked me while playing Persona 5 how blatantly pandering toward the (straight male) player the game was. The female characters in that game existed solely to provide gratification to the player and all the ones you didnt pick to romance remained dateless losers cuz god forbid they become unavailable to you

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"giant robots" is enough to turn off my interest immediately. gundam, robot wars, all that stuff makes my eyes cross because all the robots look the same to me and im not invested in seeing iron puppets get destroyed

the exception is western mech games which i sometimes like if theyre all about destroying the environment, like brigador

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like giant mechs, as in Mechwarrior. Gundam, less so

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

whenever i see a gundam it just looks like a jumble of angular metal plates with googly eyes to me, like i don't even see a character

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

whenever i see a gundam it just looks like a jumble of angular metal plates with googly eyes to me, like i don't even see a character

yeah the the goofiness of gundams was simply taken to its logical conclusion in attack on titan

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Play posted:

Why would you even want to turn pixel art into flash-game looking crap like that? I don't even get it. I might have an unreasonable attachment to the look of classic pixel art, but I do believe it looks better, objectively, than almost any other 2d option.

I think 'some' pixel art / old CRT graphics look nice, but mostly new games look nicer. Pixel art isn't just inherently better. While I don't necessarily think all filters on it are a good idea, I can see why someone would want to make

something like

look more like

Like, the first pic (Impossimole) is just loving ugly. No amount of 'playing it on a CRT' is gonna make it nice. But updated, with a wider palette and less pixellated art, it could look nice. I personally don't rate any of the art that's been posted as 'examples of pixel art being ruined' to me it's all just 3 kinda ugly pictures. The only appeal of any of them is the pixel stuff is retro, so kinda nostalgic, and that gets lost with the blur, sure, but it's not like I actually admired it in the first place. I don't think any artistry has been ruined, I just think the nostalgia vibe was scrubbed, but I don't care. If it meant it was easier to play the game because you can tell what's going on, I'd rather the latter, blurrier more soulless stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phigs posted:

Where does one learn about opinions on gaming youtubers? I only ever seem to see them discussed when they've done something horrible.

There's a thread in RGD that's a general catch-all "people on the internet that what talk about stuff, including video games" thread. Plus a PYF thread or two for straightforward recommendations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The only ones I bother to watch are super mario romhacks.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there are a bunch of good video game youtubers, same as any subject on youtube

it all just comes down to whether to creator is likeable. A likeable creator can make a bad video watchable and fun.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"pixel art" is misunderstood, it's not just supposed to look good it's also functional when you need very clear hitboxes. mario works well because the graphics are extremely clear and it's never ambiguous about where a part of the game begins and ends like in europlatformers or a lot of modern pixel art games. it's also nice how proper pixel art interacts with a CRT to create soft surfaces and natural looking gradients

CRT vs raw pixels

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

there are a bunch of good video game youtubers, same as any subject on youtube

it all just comes down to whether to creator is likeable. A likeable creator can make a bad video watchable and fun.

yeah i watch AVGN because i like james as a guy

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

same but opposite, i stopped watching him because I hate Mike Matei as a guy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

same but opposite, i stopped watching him because I hate Mike Matei as a guy

good news because mike's gone

i dunno though i kind of liked the interaction between saintly james and shitbag mike, they're like the angel and devil that appear on my shoulders whenever i have to make a major decision

the real tragedy is the loss of bad luck bootsy

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

"pixel art" is misunderstood, it's not just supposed to look good it's also functional when you need very clear hitboxes. mario works well because the graphics are extremely clear and it's never ambiguous about where a part of the game begins and ends like in europlatformers or a lot of modern pixel art games. it's also nice how proper pixel art interacts with a CRT to create soft surfaces and natural looking gradients

CRT vs raw pixels

That CRT blurring was mainly a TV thing. I was always a computer gamer so VGA resolution graphics (320x200) had sharp pixels from the beginning. There was some pleasant scanlining, but you could always see the sharp pixels. Commodore 64 was/is somewhat blurry because of the quality of the electronics. But Amiga and DOS games were crisp.

But I like some TV blurriness too.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Play posted:

if I've learned anything in my life it's that all high school girls in japan are rocking absolutely enormous, balloon-like, back pain-causing tittys and also have magical demon powers and probably carry katanas for some reason. truly the promised land, nippon

lol at this convo that was literally the equivalent of an animecon nerd from the 00s who just yells out all the japanese words they know except irony-poisoned in some kind of misguided attempt to deliver a devastating burn on an entire country

something about japan having a game industry just breaks goon brains

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

signalnoise posted:

well, it's either get the tsundere waifu or have a nice girl who dies

Or the teacher.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

avgn is still around? I thought he disappeared with the Bush administration

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

avgn is still around? I thought he disappeared with the Bush administration

There was a thing where he said he wasn't interested in the Ghostbusters reboot and a bunch of serious journalists assumed he must be a chud without actually watching the video

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

lobsterminator posted:

That CRT blurring was mainly a TV thing. I was always a computer gamer so VGA resolution graphics (320x200) had sharp pixels from the beginning. There was some pleasant scanlining, but you could always see the sharp pixels. Commodore 64 was/is somewhat blurry because of the quality of the electronics. But Amiga and DOS games were crisp.

But I like some TV blurriness too.

All the arguments people use to say "obviously you only prefer this thing because you are ignorant" are pretty much complete poo poo, and are doubly poo poo when considering the average age of a SA poster is well beyond the loving PS1. Like yeah we all experienced this stuff on CRT but people are talking about preferring stuff NOW without it. I *never* liked filters like SuperEagle or whatever else. They looked bad on Genecyst and they still look bad. They're available on stuff made by Analogue because why not, but I would much rather play without the filter.

This poo poo looks good, drat it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_TC20cBZLA

I am a big Mana series fan so I'm looking forward to the Legend of Mana remaster, but a simple filter can't do what's needed to make it look like it should. All the backgrounds are being redrawn, and a filter wouldn't get the job done because it would not keep lines where they're supposed to be.

This style of shading, more than any other style I can think of, looks like the output of these smoothing filters but actually done like it looks intentional. It can't be done by a filter right now because the algorithms for this kind of thing are still just not ready. You still have to get human involvement. Ideally, they'd also update the character sprites, but if that's not available, I prefer the original sprites despite ~visible pixels~ because the filter's output would simply be wrong.

Original art

Sample sprite scaled up 400% with no filtering

Exact same sprite scaled up 400% with xBRZ

gently caress this abomination I will take the pixels

Flannelette posted:

Or the teacher.

with boobs that are enormous of course

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing is about sprite work is that every pixel matters, and if you're upscaling it you might as well redraw it, blobby algorithms are ugly as gently caress and please nobody. But I suppose it's cheap as poo poo.

Flannelette posted:

Or the teacher.

signalnoise posted:

with boobs that are enormous of course

well, you sold me on the game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Like I said folks, it's just that easy. Hire me

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The best remaster is Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

Just look at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-1oMOE1Vk

e: You can switch modern and retro gfx/sfx separately at any time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i used filters back when i first used emulators, but i didnt know any better

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

There's a worthwhile note of modernity in pixel graphics and general style in The Messenger that I think is worth noting. In that game, you travel through time so there is a distinct past/future difference and they do more than just change the details of the level.

In this game, when you go into the past, the game takes on nuances of NES era games, with less detailed backgrounds, a more limited color palette, etc. In the future, everything gets the detail you'd expect on the same game but SNES era. The music also changes in the same way. This game with a lovely filter over it would ruin that effect.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

those filters just look so hosed up to me. Like, the line weight is all off. Nobody would ever actually design art like that, letting a computer figure that stuff out is terrible and just looks gross. I think the pixels look completely fine and you can still see the artistry that went into the pixel placement and colour choice, instead of some bogus algorithm making artistic decisions that look like complete poo poo. Commander Keen did fine without CRT TV glow or whatever.

edit: The messenger is a really awesome and impressive game, I love it. Even though it has some chuddy jokes and namedrops Jordan Peterson lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CRT filters ate nothing like the real thing, so yeah even raw pixels are better than filters, but getting a CRT for a psx or nes or snes will make the games look better. whether thats worth it for you is up to you, i get that its not for everyone

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

those filters just look so hosed up to me. Like, the line weight is all off.

The clarity is actually super bad for the image, like if you saw a lovely security camera still of someone's face and couldn't make out any detail

but then the detective on the case is like "enhance"

That's cool and all but it's loving weird and not what I want

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

CRT vs raw pixels

just asked my wife and she thinks the ones on the right look better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You're wife is objectively wrong