Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AFewBricksShy posted:

Isn't that kind of lovely to the original designer of the set?

I don't know if they did for that one, but Lepin has been paying for some moc designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Controversial opinion: Moc instructions should be free/royalty free anyway imo. It’s galling to see what some people charge for them.

If they were, some people wouldn't make them anymore. Years ago someone on Reddit offered a bounty if someone could reverse-engineer a Stargate MOC with a working dial (the inner ring spun) that was popular in the 2000s. I tried, poo poo took like 50 hours and I still failed. Some MOC work is straight-up engineering, and you should support the people who do it if you like cool MOCs.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if they did for that one, but Lepin has been paying for some moc designs.

I would really like to see any kind of evidence for this.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I just think it should be approached like open source software- the idea that you could “own” the intellectual rights to any combination of bricks (beyond purchasing that combination as a complete set with pieces included from the actual company) is kind of contrary to the entire spirit of lego which is you can literally do anything you want with any combination of pieces. I would say they either want to contribute creatively or they don’t- nobody has to give away any plans they don’t want to but we also don’t have to buy them either. LEGO belongs to everyone, man.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

Isn't that kind of lovely to the original designer of the set?

I bought and built the Lepin Launch Tower. Like with a couple of other MoCs I bought from them, I always (okay, I only bought three MoCs from them) source the original maker, and buy his instructions, if they are for sale, so he at least gets some money. If they are free, I don't see a big problem.

With this one, it was a problem. As soon as you enter a set into the Lego ideas system (or once it enters a certain stage within the voting thing?), Lego gets the copyright on the instructions for two years. So I couldn't even buy/tip them. I found some old instructions, for free, which were heavily under construction, and before they commited the "final draft" to Lego (which apparently they shared on a forum, where Lepin got it from).

I still found a way to tip the original designers, but they weren't too happy with the overall situation (Lego turning the set down, Lepin stealing the instructions, them having no longer any rights to the instructions for two years).

It's a messy situation with that thing. The whole set has many problems, depended on parts that Lego never made (but Lepin/Xingbao did) and which absolutely, 100% don't work.

I had to fix a lot with the set (brick quality was pretty close to Lego, so it had nothing to do with that), but I would never build it again. I also don't know how to move it. It's....a bit fragile....

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

tuo posted:

I remember the international teams, yeah! They aren't that old, are they?

Well, the international players that came with the original football sets are pretty old (1998-2004 or so) but there was a line of collectible figs for the German football team that came out in 2016. Maybe you're thinking of those?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Well, the international players that came with the original football sets are pretty old (1998-2004 or so) but there was a line of collectible figs for the German football team that came out in 2016. Maybe you're thinking of those?

yeah, that's the recent ones I remember

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Controversial opinion: Moc instructions should be free/royalty free anyway imo. It’s galling to see what some people charge for them.

Why? And then why not say the same thing for any published book, or other work of art?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I just think it should be approached like open source software- the idea that you could “own” the intellectual rights to any combination of bricks

I mean, I don’t hear anyone saying all that hopped up business.
But they figured something cool out. If you like it, figure it out yourself. Or get it from them. And if you want it from
Them, they can set the terms.!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Ika posted:

Why? And then why not say the same thing for any published book, or other work of art?

I do :smugmrgw:

(Intellectual) property is theft of the common heritage of mankind

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I too believe that creators do not deserve to profit from their own labor.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

tuo posted:

yeah, that's the recent ones I remember

I feel like Real Madrid is coming? Did I dream that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

I too believe that creators do not deserve to profit from their own labor.

Money is theft

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Plastik posted:

If they were, some people wouldn't make them anymore. Years ago someone on Reddit offered a bounty if someone could reverse-engineer a Stargate MOC with a working dial (the inner ring spun) that was popular in the 2000s. I tried, poo poo took like 50 hours and I still failed. Some MOC work is straight-up engineering, and you should support the people who do it if you like cool MOCs.

Well now I want a Stargate. My current desire is a screen accurate Hot Tub Time Machine from The LEGO Movie 2. Anyone know of any artists that worked on the movie that are on twitter? I need better pictures of it since it’s on screen so briefly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I do :smugmrgw:

(Intellectual) property is theft of the common heritage of mankind

lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I just think it should be approached like open source software- the idea that you could “own” the intellectual rights to any combination of bricks (beyond purchasing that combination as a complete set with pieces included from the actual company) is kind of contrary to the entire spirit of lego which is you can literally do anything you want with any combination of pieces. I would say they either want to contribute creatively or they don’t- nobody has to give away any plans they don’t want to but we also don’t have to buy them either. LEGO belongs to everyone, man.

It has nothing to do with owning intellectual rights. Making instructions is a ton of work and MOC makers have absolutely no reason to bother with doing it unless there is a demand for it and they are actually willing to put the work in. In which case it's only reasonable that they get compensated for their time. I've had people ask me for instructions on my MOCs and the answer is always no, because I'm not going to spend god knows how many hours figuring out how to make competent instructions so someone else can build it. If I could somehow magically just share how to make them with people I would, and I'd never charge for that. But actually making instructions is more work than I'm willing to put in, and for those willing to do it, it's totally fair to charge.

Dogen posted:

I know we joked around about the new Luke's Landspeeder, eg "but he's got a new poncho!", but I have to say it's actually a pretty great build. Tons of SNOT action and the brick built engines are great.

Nice. I'm totally grabbing this set but I might wait until it's like 30% off in 6 months. The $30 price point is too much.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 8, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah $30 is ridiculous. All this SW wave is $10+ more than it ought to be.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

veni veni veni posted:

It has nothing to do with owning intellectual rights. Making instructions is a ton of work and MOC makers have absolutely no reason to bother with doing it unless there is a demand for it and they are actually willing to put the work in. In which case it's only reasonable that they get compensated for their time. I've had people ask me for instructions on my MOCs and the answer is always no, because I'm not going to spend god knows how many hours figuring out how to make competent instructions so someone else can build it. If I could somehow magically just share how to make them with people I would, and I'd never charge for that. But actually making instructions is more work than I'm willing to put in, and for those willing to do it, it's totally fair to charge.

Totally agree. I've been asked for instructions for my MOCs and it's the same answer: no. I love sharing models and tips and I'm more than happy for someone to have a good look at one of my MOCs, ask questions and take photos for inspiration or so they can figure it out themselves, but instructions are difficult and time-consuming and for me the work involved just isn't worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm fine with people charging for instructions because everyone has the right to try and get compensated for their time, but I think they're worthless and will never spend money on them.

Lego is better when it's collaborative and when you paywall it it's not collaborative anymore. Comrade!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to purchase the intellectual rights to this thread. I think about three dollars ought to be enough.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Just got the drat bucket wheel excavator for a late Christmas present. I have no idea where to start

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Naylenas posted:

Just got the drat bucket wheel excavator for a late Christmas present. I have no idea where to start

put all the pieces in one pile.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

parque bynch posted:

Well now I want a Stargate.

Well the trick to the one I was doing was that the inner ring is a single solid piece, and the outer is a track that rolls around it. It's powered from the bottom, inside the base.

I don't have my model files anymore, but it was very sought after and I wasn't the only one working on it. I don't think anyone ever finished. I know we all had the inner ring 100% done, it was easy given the pictures.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Scipiotik posted:

Some early rumors about a creator level soccer stadium for around $300. No photos or anything, but it's from the usually spot on leakers.

It's supposedly the Manchester United stadium

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Naylenas posted:

I have no idea where to start

Not on that carpet

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The bucket excavator is a pretty fun build, imo. Only one thing you have to do twice (the track-section), and overall pretty good process. Just make sure to check all the functions as soon as they should work. Luckily, I didn't gently caress mine up, requiring a rebuild, but I was drat close.

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 8, 2020

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Naylenas posted:

The first page of the instructions

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I'll weigh in on the instructions thing, since I do make and sell instructions.

I work in Mecabricks, so the time it takes to go from a completed model to a completed set of instructions is about three hours, and that's extremely fast because a car is a small-ish model and I've done, like, 30 of them now. I have to re-create the model in stud.io step by step including sub models (because auto generated instructions suck), and then manually stage each step - camera angles, callout placements, arrows, all that. The software is easy to use and I can blast through it, but again, it takes time, no matter how many you've done. And sometimes you'll hit a point where you realize you should add another step or create a sub-model callout or rearrange a couple steps to facilitate things better, and you lose time there.

I charge four dollars for this effort, and I'll make instructions if even one person asks.

If you can look at pics and reverse-engineer it yourself, so much the better. If I found a cool technique in the process of building something, I'm happy to share that, too. The point isn't to paywall the creative process, it's to compensate me for hours of work, plus the value of my design.

And don't tell me creative works shouldn't have financial value. I'm as anti-capitalist as they come, but devaluing creative work in a viciously profit-motivated society is already a huge issue, and you shouldn't punish those that are dealing with trying to make a living creating art within the same system we're all trapped in. It's like refusing to tip because you don't like tipping culture. You're loving the wrong people.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carbohydrates posted:

And don't tell me creative works shouldn't have financial value. I'm as anti-capitalist as they come, but devaluing creative work in a viciously profit-motivated society is already a huge issue, and you shouldn't punish those that are dealing with trying to make a living creating art within the same system we're all trapped in. It's like refusing to tip because you don't like tipping culture. You're loving the wrong people.

:hmmyes:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I tip the management and assume the tips will trickle down to the workers.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
Facebook marketplace has an unopened old fishing store for $250...Should I?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

tuo posted:

I bought and built the Lepin Launch Tower. Like with a couple of other MoCs I bought from them, I always (okay, I only bought three MoCs from them) source the original maker, and buy his instructions, if they are for sale, so he at least gets some money. If they are free, I don't see a big problem.

With this one, it was a problem. As soon as you enter a set into the Lego ideas system (or once it enters a certain stage within the voting thing?), Lego gets the copyright on the instructions for two years. So I couldn't even buy/tip them. I found some old instructions, for free, which were heavily under construction, and before they commited the "final draft" to Lego (which apparently they shared on a forum, where Lepin got it from).

I still found a way to tip the original designers, but they weren't too happy with the overall situation (Lego turning the set down, Lepin stealing the instructions, them having no longer any rights to the instructions for two years).

It's a messy situation with that thing. The whole set has many problems, depended on parts that Lego never made (but Lepin/Xingbao did) and which absolutely, 100% don't work.

I had to fix a lot with the set (brick quality was pretty close to Lego, so it had nothing to do with that), but I would never build it again. I also don't know how to move it. It's....a bit fragile....

Can you summarize some of the issues? I'm considering buying the Lepin kit because i want to display my Saturn V better but i dunno if i want to deal with aliexpress gray area bs again since the last shakeup.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

superbelch posted:

Facebook marketplace has an unopened old fishing store for $250...Should I?
That is, like, its exact market value. Tons of folks have them on ebay for $250 BIN shipped. So go for it, I guess, if you wanna skip the time it would take to have one shipped from BL or Ebay or whatever, but it's not a deal you should rush yourself to jump on if you weren't already actively looking for it.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
Thanks, I'll pass on this since it's a little out of my way to get to.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

w00tazn posted:

Can you summarize some of the issues? I'm considering buying the Lepin kit because i want to display my Saturn V better but i dunno if i want to deal with aliexpress gray area bs again since the last shakeup.

All the issues I had are purely with the set, not with brick quality (which was typical Xingbao, so very close to Lego) or the handling of my order (which worked like a charm, and arriverd in something like twelve days or so).

Let's start....the set is not interested about "economical" building (i.e. reduce amount of bricks)...it throws them at you in a way Lego never would. The foundation alone throws dozens of 16x16 plated at you, and basically nearly hundreds of walls. It's crazy. But while you build it, you realize you are currently covering air, but you want to put quite a lot of weight onto that. With all the parts they throw at you, there ain't that much to support them. If I would have to build it again, I would throw a LOT more support into the structure. Because you cover the base of couple dozen16x16 plates with even more above...and some of them rest in clear air...hard to explain. They have edges where nothing is underneath. Easy fix, if you have the parts.

Then you tile that thing, and here comes a problem. They made 12x12 tiles. They don't hold, but "suck" everything upwards. I tried a lot to get them plain (putting dozens of kilogramms of counterweights from a telescope mount on for couple of days, while playing with temperature and humidity....didn't work...guess there's a reason why Lego doesn't do them). It's not a big deal, but it simply doesn't work.

The rest of the build is absolutely okay, although you'll still laugh about the amount of pieces they throw at everything (and thought Lego would release this).

Then comes the actual launch tower. Which is....ugh.....a bit problematic. I uses technic lift arms, but instead of creating a solid foundation, bolted onto everything available, it's more or less a trapezoid, free to move, which gets it''s structural integrity from from the inner structure of the tower (the lift and everything), but it ain't really connected to each other...so it's "wobbly", because the inner "lift structure" also isn't secured to the giant base you just built...it sits on tiles.

Then comes the part where you build the same thing like - I have to check, but let me guess - 14 or 18 times. Put each one on top of the other, and THEN you put that stack on top of the wobbly base.

After that, you can actually add the Saturn V (which fits perfectly) and the clutches on to, which creates a lot of structural integrity, because now the foundation, the Saturn V and the wobbly tower at least hold each other.

Now you add a lot of fueling pipes and boarding ramps, which you can swing away like during an actual launch, which is actually pretty cool, but you have to add it to the wobbly tower, which at that point should be held in place by the Saturn V attached.

Then comes the time where you have to add the upper crane, which can never work, because it's weight distribution would always make it fall down, taking the wobbly tower with it. But it's an easy fix, actually, you just have to add some parts/bricks (mine's currently held by the lascannon turret from a baneblade) so it wount bring down the whole thing.

When you are done with this, you have an enourmous set, which looks absolutely fantastic (and I mean it), where you don't dare to breath because it's so wobbly. So you finish it, and add the huge, looooong fuel pipes. And this is where the typical Xingbao/Lepin problem kicks in. They are very close to Lego in regard to typical brick quality, but technic parts and axles etc....argh...

And they add axles which are like three times as long as the longest Lego axle, and where you can't slide any part over. I used gun oil (e: I think that's no the right translation....Nähmaschinenöl...google tells me "penetrating oil"? Sounds pretty sexy) to get the parts over which I needed to.

When the set is finished, it is an awesome sight. I have NO (and I mean it) idea, how to move it now. Like really...NO IDEA, because it's so wobbly.

I think I will break it up one day, and build it again, with the knowledge of what the problems are, because there aren't that many, and it doesn't even need that many parts to make it better, but if you know where to fix it, it would be rock solid.

So if you are brave, go for it. It's an awesome set, and I'm sure you will shout a lot about it, but will also be in awe once it's mostly finished and in front of you (and won't dare to breathe so it doesn't collapse)

tuo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 8, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does it seem like it would be possible to strengthen it up?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Ah sounds like it was purely a CAD designed Lego model where physics didn't apply and it was obvious that the creator never built it physically.

I would have assumed TLG would use more red technic pieces to build the tower rather than using bricks which would have helped significantly.

The problems you describe seem easy enough to fix given some creativity and availability of parts, hmmm.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 8, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's part of the reason I don't think Ideas should take CAD submissions. If the builder can't be assed to build it, why should Lego accept the submission? Also, when something is actually built, you get a better sense of how it actually works.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's a big reason why the Iron Giant one wasn't accepted. The guy posted on reddit and said it wasn't possible for it to stand up with the joints available. I made a tiny little space ship that was 2 studs wide and accidentally designed it impossibly because the front became unattached from the back while I was moving pieces around while designing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As someone who only builds physically it drives me nuts that people can build stuff in CAD and just easily make a convincing perfect photo of it. meanwhile taking a nice photo of irl Lego is hard as hell. Obviously some people like Carbohydrates are great at it, but my pics always come out so amateurish looking. I feel like even if I have a great build it gets marred by my photos.