Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Just beat the first zone of Shovel Knight Dig and it seems like a very nice little roguelite twist on the formula. I like that they're not afraid to throw you some powerful abilities that really change how you work your way through the levels. I'll probably pick it up for Switch or PC; it's included in the Apple Arcade subscription for iOS but I really can't do the virtual touch controls thing too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
All Backpack Hero needs to do to become a significantly better game is to give your backpack a few "side pockets" so you can hold onto a few items that you can't actually use in a fight.

Literally every character would benefit from it in terms of making things much more fun, .

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

All Backpack Hero needs to do to become a significantly better game is to give your backpack a few "side pockets" so you can hold onto a few items that you can't actually use in a fight.

Literally every character would benefit from it in terms of making things much more fun, .

The dev branch does apparently add container items to address this, although you still have to find them in the first place. I'm having a hard time mustering the interest to go back to it now though, maybe they'll eventually hammer it into gold but I'm going to wait and let them work before I invest myself again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roguelite fans have to be happy.

Today Shovel Knight Dig has released. I didn't even know it was a roguelite, but Steam says so
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1416050/Shovel_Knight_Dig/
Here there is a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5IWjNOpDRw

Tiny Rogues is arena roguelite that I'm liking. It combines a bit of retro aesthetic with straightforward action, with some bullet hell (although nothing extreme, it's fair). It has metaprogression but they have included a 'hardcore' mode that disables all help. The moment-to-moment gameplay is more fun than Neophyte and it has also clearly more content, by almost a magnitude (200 weapons, 10 different floors each with unique enemy set, 10 classes, etc). Only 3,5€.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2088570/Tiny_Rogues/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTwHppeVmn8
(you can disable the CRT filter)

And finally, Brotato, which had already an excellent and very promising free demo, will release on EA in 4 days. Another arena roguelite with heaps of content. There are so many build possible in here. You could play the demo for 20+ hours.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1942280/Brotato/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4BeoosOjBw

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Smith Comma John posted:

hopefully the Erannorth dev updates the custom difficulty stuff soon, because it's missing some of the options from the actual difficulties -- you can't replicate the standard reinforcement setting of 2 enemies after 4 turns, for example. I wanted to make a replica of "campaign" (or whatever the easiest time limit difficulty is) without that time limit, but that is currently impossible

So cool thing I discovered when looking through steam discussions, you can just open up any custom difficulty modes you create in a text editor and tweak the settings manually to get specifically what you want if if isn't available on the drop down when making it initially.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The new fourth Backpack Hero character in the testing branch is fun, but suffers from all the same issues plus a mechanic that's just a second type of damage (you brainwash the enemy to fight for you if you inflict more Charm than they have HP, but it constantly rechecks etc) and also their backpack slots are way weirder (they're defined "pockets", you pick one per level up, you can put it next to an existing or make distinct separate ones and some items care about having/not having other items in the same/other pockets)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Deadwind is now Substantial Increments Snazzier, though dev may well slow a bit from here as The Dev got scooped up by Larian---which is probably prudent on Larian's part all things considered:

https://thinginger.itch.io/deadwind/devlog/429939/alpha-2-changeloglife-update

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone have opinions on the roguelike Soulash?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1623210/Soulash/

Played the demo. Liked it but it was a bit short. Any opinions on the mid/late game?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I've gotten to mid game once. Game is good but not easy, and scales up really hard in my experience.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Roguelite fans have to be happy.

Tiny Rogues is arena roguelite that I'm liking. It combines a bit of retro aesthetic with straightforward action, with some bullet hell (although nothing extreme, it's fair). It has metaprogression but they have included a 'hardcore' mode that disables all help. The moment-to-moment gameplay is more fun than Neophyte and it has also clearly more content, by almost a magnitude (200 weapons, 10 different floors each with unique enemy set, 10 classes, etc). Only 3,5€.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2088570/Tiny_Rogues/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTwHppeVmn8
(you can disable the CRT filter)

Tiny Rogues? :(

Big Bia? :)

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anyone have opinions on the roguelike Soulash?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1623210/Soulash/

Played the demo. Liked it but it was a bit short. Any opinions on the mid/late game?

I played it, died a lot and then beat it once and put it down. Once you're into the midgame you've probably got an escape so it only took me three tries after I got out of the early game, playing pretty conservatively. While it's a trad roguelike it's significantly more forgiving than older examples.

There are a lot of fun world interactions and exploration is great, especially with regards to the Gods, but the world's not very randomized so I kind of didn't feel the need to go back after beating it. I'd say that it's well worth picking up if you liked the demo. The one major issue I'd say is that late game feels kinda grindy in that after you get over the hump of normal enemies being threatening, there's just...so many of them and the combat had enough delay in it to make me feel really impatient.

Oh, also, unless the dev changed it, learn to master strafe movement - it can basically give you free movement relative to enemies since they'll always turn to face their direction of movement but you can slide around pillars/walk diagonally to get free actions relative to them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tiny Rogues impressions. This is great little gem of a game. It's actually a very simple action game: you move and shoot in an arena (even the melee weapons are like short ranged weapons) and the enemies do the same, move and shoot. There is no advanced parry system nor animation driven combo attacks, nor anything like that, you hold mouse1 to attack. There is no exploration aspects nor advanced rpg character build aspects (it's a more basic str/dex/int + 1 perk per level system, Brotato wins in that regard). Much less attempts to have a narrative. But inside the limited constraints of game like this, it's very good:
-The movement is simple but well tuned, not too slow, nor too fast and uncontrollable, and always snappy, with a nice dash.
-The combat visibility is clear thanks to the high contrast between the color sprites and black background, special enemy attacks have an indicator before they happen, and while at some point on the later stages the screen can have lots of sprite enemies and sprite attacks you have to interpret, the different colors make it possible.
-Perhaps what is most important, in a game about killing enemies, there is a good variety in both enemies to kill and things to use to kill enemies. All enemies have different move and fire patterns: from boars that would charge and stun themselves on the walls, to snakes that move in S leaving projectiles behind floating, to vines that expand towards your direction, to slimes that jump around, big ogres that stomp the ground with their first doing an aoe attack, enemies that dash around very quickly (the game shows the path before the dash), enemies that explode on death (or drop new enemies, like groups of bees), or that fire a continous but slow moving laser, ghosts that can disappear and reappear, immobile enemies that fire bursts of projectiles, or devils that throw a trident and you have to be aware the trident come back to their hands later, well, you get the idea.
-Same with the weapons. I have seen several weapons after several runs, and the game doesn't seem to fall in the trap of varying damage stats vs attack speed and that's it. 90% of them were different enough. A hunting bow, a winged bow, a thompson machine gun and a super shotgun are all ranged weapons that felt different, they all had their own pros and cons, in range, crit chance, damage, attack speed, magazine size, special effects, etc. A slime wand slow down enemies, an arc staff would chain lightning groups of them, a fire staff did an aoe attack with burn effect but the projectile flew in high parabola volleys, a sword have short range, a aztec mace had a wide attack sprite and explode enemies, a spear attack in bursts of 3 attacks unlike other melee weapons, etc.
-Itemization beyond the weapons is also decent: there is a good mix of items that would give some stat buff (+1 to Armor or to Special Hearts or Mana, or +15% to a damage type, or +20 to range, etc) and items with unique effects, like leaving a fire trail, or having an always rotating ring of thorns, or making you do damage in your dashes.

It's still missing a few things I would like, like an option for shorter runs (the game would be ideal for when you want a short burst of 15-20 min of gaming, but runs are more around 30-35 minutes), and difficulty options (but this is coming, the dev says he wants an Hades-like system). I also would like a npc to sell my unused loot, pet peeve of mine, but I hate when you have to just drop it in the ground! :P

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My record for now, 1515dmg, although late I raised it to 1545dmg. However Death killed me with 30% remaining hp.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
In Celebration of Violence chat: so is there any point at all to using the Pickpocket spell? Making an enemy lose their collected experience sounds useful for making big guys not big anymore, but what actually happens is that they drop their collected experience and their own xp value immediately at their own feet and then instantly pick it up, causing them to become loving huge

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

In Celebration of Violence chat: so is there any point at all to using the Pickpocket spell? Making an enemy lose their collected experience sounds useful for making big guys not big anymore, but what actually happens is that they drop their collected experience and their own xp value immediately at their own feet and then instantly pick it up, causing them to become loving huge

Lol. Sounds like double XP for you if you can kill them!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Angry Diplomat posted:

Shouldn't it be a net zero effect?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Shouldn't it be a net zero effect?

Nope! They aren't actually empowered by the XP they're worth, it's just the reward for killing them. Pickpocketing them thus effectively just awards them that experience as though they had killed themselves, making them much stronger for no apparent benefit to you, because...

goferchan posted:

Lol. Sounds like double XP for you if you can kill them!

Nope! From what I can tell, you still get all the XP they're carrying, but you don't get the XP they're worth again when you kill them, because you already pickpocketed it from them (at which point they immediately picked it up and got super strong)!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean isn't the idea to be sneaky with it?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean isn't the idea to be sneaky with it?

You'd think so, but using it on an unaware enemy still just powers them up, and besides, the Misanthrope has an actual sneak spell and an item that permits greater sneakiness. So I'm just not sure what the hell Pickpocket is for.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I beat Death on an assassin, super unlucky with levelups until I got mageblood and just stacked every potion. I used a sniper bow with farshot to just chunk him for 6k damage a crit shot

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Decided to pick up the demo for Rogue: Genesia since the thread is talking about it a lot. Best it on my second run with a build focusing on death aura, fire ring, and taking all the defense and health Regen I could. What really pulled it together was 500% thorns damage, which is the only way I was able to kill elites( and the boss). Though I was regenerating faster than the boss could damage me.

Seems fun, will definitely purchase soon.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Picked up ICOV on this thread's recommendation. Very fun game, it was a bit tricky at first but after you get some banked XP under your belt the game becomes a relative breeze - soldier with a +3 spear demolishes most stuff.
Spoilers for after a few wins:
It's fun how insane the starter zone gets. Every room now has hostiles, there's blood and bodies and fire everywhere... I still have Obelisk/Free to go so looking forward to how nuts things go. There appears to be a secret of some sort north of the Obelisk shrine, corridors with very lethal arrow/beam traps. What's the deal with that?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Razakai posted:

Picked up ICOV on this thread's recommendation. Very fun game, it was a bit tricky at first but after you get some banked XP under your belt the game becomes a relative breeze - soldier with a +3 spear demolishes most stuff.
Spoilers for after a few wins:
It's fun how insane the starter zone gets. Every room now has hostiles, there's blood and bodies and fire everywhere... I still have Obelisk/Free to go so looking forward to how nuts things go. There appears to be a secret of some sort north of the Obelisk shrine, corridors with very lethal arrow/beam traps. What's the deal with that?

There are a number of puzzles/areas of Sanctuary you can only reach by looping. Some places need various spells, equipment, or just gobs of HP and protection. You may have seen a few tumors growing around? You haven't seen all of them yet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

I beat Death on an assassin, super unlucky with levelups until I got mageblood and just stacked every potion. I used a sniper bow with farshot to just chunk him for 6k damage a crit shot

Assassin? I guess you mean Thief. I just unlocked him.
I reached Death twice, but I still didn't beat it. Then again I'm not super good at this style of game so it's no surprise. I will need a few more upgrades.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So has anyone played the ICoV sequel yet? Is it good enough to play over ICoV in its current state? Also please tell me the bleed mechanic was removed, I still really hate that thing :argh:

e: You at least used to be able to pickpocket the non-combat civilians in sanctuary or in the biomes that have them (town/city, maybe castle?) and they wouldn't get all of the exp they dropped instantly so you had time to pick a bunch up yourself, but I don't know if that still works.

e2: Okay I can confirm you can no longer pickpocket civilians in Sanctuary but I don't feel like playing through to the Town to try it there right now

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 24, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

Assassin? I guess you mean Thief. I just unlocked him.
I reached Death twice, but I still didn't beat it. Then again I'm not super good at this style of game so it's no surprise. I will need a few more upgrades.

Yeah, that guy. Death is pretty hard, the best strategy I've found so far is stacking crit and crit damage, or poison. I like all the diablo/path of exile/jrpg references.

As for Brotato... the game is fun, but I'm very much not a fan of its aesthetics.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yay, I won a Nomad Survival level. Unlocking characters at a good clip.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that guy. Death is pretty hard, the best strategy I've found so far is stacking crit and crit damage, or poison. I like all the diablo/path of exile/jrpg references.

As for Brotato... the game is fun, but I'm very much not a fan of its aesthetics.

Brotato art... isn't my favorite thing either, but ultimately I don't mind it. I mind more the poor enemy variety, as truly there are a) enemies that run at you, b) enemies that move somewhat more randomly, c) enemies that fire a red ball to you, d) variations of the above with more hp (the armored guys, the giant guys) and that's it. I wish it would take a bit of Tiny Rogues monsters in that regard.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I like Tiny Rogues, it reminds me of Hades with all the extraneous bullshit and padding stripped out. Strong arcade-like experience.

VERY early in EA, there's a good amount of content to add.

Even with vsync on, there's noticeable "stutter" with the camera moving around and sprites updating. Kind of unfortunate.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I don't have any stutter at all, for what it's worth. I'm running it on standard settings, but borderless fullscreen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
void rains upon her heart needs to be put at the top of the "incredible what one indie dev can do" category...
im at the point where i am at the second hardest difficulty and i have all the alternative game modes finally unlocked. endless nightmare and alter story are both pretty fun. game is GOAT.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't have any stutter at all, for what it's worth. I'm running it on standard settings, but borderless fullscreen.

There's no framerate drop, but the sprites don't redraw smoothly, if that makes sense? Revving up camera dampening helped somewhat, but not entirely.

I made it to Malthael Death on like my third run. Game gets pretty bullet helly. I miss Blanks from Gungeon. Amused by how many influences/references I see -- the Dragon pretty clearly uses the Dragun's flame breath dodge pattern from EtG.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

void rains upon her heart needs to be put at the top of the "incredible what one indie dev can do" category...
im at the point where i am at the second hardest difficulty and i have all the alternative game modes finally unlocked. endless nightmare and alter story are both pretty fun. game is GOAT.

I ignored Endless Nightmare for a long time and once I finally tried it I loved it, you can push your own power level really high and of course it's got its own progression system and upgrades and tons of unlockables

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/9QyCTuS.mp4

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

am i looking at a flash game?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's the future of gaming, baby! Specifically Roguelikes.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Another fun bug I found is that if you happen to give a follower equipment that gives them a surge on level up, their surge will loving destroy you.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
"This is a glorified flash game, why does it have pretensions of being a 'real' game" is such a dumb criticism in this day and age. Flash is gone, and the entire ecosystem of online aggregators went with it. Nowadays, releasing your game as a standalone title on the app store of your choice is pretty much the only way your game will get any traction. If you're specifically mad that games you have to pay actual money for don't have shiny 3D triple-A graphics on par with whatever the military shooter du jour currently is, then I'm not sure you've realized what thread this is.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Uh settle down. I play lots of ugly rear end games, we're in a rogue like thread. We're surrounded by them, I still wish more were pretty but I know why they are oft not. That clip is hard to parse without a hands on experience. The defining trait of genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Upsidads beat me to it, lol. Who cares about the art fidelity, it's a comment about the stuttering and glitching flash games where famous for. Chill.