Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Awful has a good OLED theme as well.

- posted from my 4G LTE Device with Awful for the SomethingAwful LLC Forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is Moto still the only one that will listen/respond to voice commands when the screen is turned off?

It sucks that (at least in my Droid Turbo 2) I can't change the search from Google Now (?) to Assistant.

Also, do any other phones have the Moto style notifcation on the turned off screen?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 10, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pixel will work with screen turned off and at least on the Moto g4 ok google doesn't work with it off. Oreo on the pixel has notifications like the Moto does however you can't interact with them it's bad

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It sounds like Something is awful and Awful is something better. I've only ever used Awful on my ticking timeb-... Nexus 5X.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I didn't know there was a Something. Awful is so good I confuse with my browser and actually minimized it to try that OLED theme.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor Butts posted:

Is Moto still the only one that will listen/respond to voice commands when the screen is turned off?

It sucks that (at least in my Droid Turbo 2) I can't change the search from Google Now (?) to Assistant.

Also, do any other phones have the Moto style notifcation on the turned off screen?

Both of these features are fairly common on lots of phones.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea I think the ambient screen is just a stock android feature now

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Homers BBBq posted:

I have an HTC one m8 that has reached the end of its useful life so I've started researching the latest line ups and this is the conclusion I'm reaching. I take pretty good care of my stuff so I usually just go with a flagship and run it into the ground but the top phones all feel uninspiring for the price. The pixel 2 seems most reasonable but I use the headphone jack every day and I have some nice wired over the ear headphones I'd rather not replace.

I have a work-issued iphone that can hold me for a few more months if I had to. Should I be waiting for something or just get a mid-range and look to replace it in a year or two? I'm not rooting or doing anything else out of the ordinary.

I would wait at this point for the Pixel 3, but that's just me. If you were to go with a Pixel 2 you could get a USB-C to 3.5MM adapter to use your headphones or something

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

thebushcommander posted:

I would wait at this point for the Pixel 3, but that's just me. If you were to go with a Pixel 2 you could get a USB-C to 3.5MM adapter to use your headphones or something

Pixel 2 comes with that adapter.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pixel 3 is still 6 months out and more like 8 or 9 if you want to buy one that doesn't display the initial defects that most google phones have on release

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sirbeefalot posted:

Awful has a good OLED theme as well.

- posted from my 4G LTE Device with Awful for the SomethingAwful LLC Forums.

LMBO at not using amberPOS.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That's not nearly as annoying as I remember it. I will do the needful.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

One more suggestion for those with 5Xs to replace asap. My 5x just gave up the ghost last night. I put it in my pocket after using it, then pulled it out 10 minutes later to be greeted by a black screen. Won't turn on anymore, won't let me get the boot loader, it's completely dead. Spent 2+ hours on the phone last night wading my way through refunds and warranty, almost had them agreeing to it, then once they found out I was in Canada got one more transfer to the Canadian LG division where they told me my phone was out of warranty, since I bought it in December 2015.

Please, I'm begging you, replace your 5x before it's too late!

Looks like the current recommendations are either Pixel 2 or Samsung S9 on the high end, Nokia 6 if you can wait or a Moto G5+ on the medium end? I've always stuck to Google's direct phones and they've always worked well for me. I probably want to stay away from the OnePlus and such considering they keep finding spyware "accidentally" loaded into them.

Anything else I should be considering?

Are you absolutely sure it's dead? Did you plug it in for a few hours then hold the power button for upwards of 30 seconds? It seems pretty uncommon for a phone to just completely die. The 5X is known for unrecoverable bootloops, but not completely dying AFAIK.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you absolutely sure it's dead? Did you plug it in for a few hours then hold the power button for upwards of 30 seconds? It seems pretty uncommon for a phone to just completely die. The 5X is known for unrecoverable bootloops, but not completely dying AFAIK.

On all 5x of my 5xes that I went through, it would just shut off and that was the end of that. With some finageling you could sometimes get it to turn on and actually bootloop, but for the most part they were just dead. I think "bootloop issue" was just the name that stuck from early reports of the issue.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Internet Explorer posted:

On all 5x of my 5xes that I went through, it would just shut off and that was the end of that. With some finageling you could sometimes get it to turn on and actually bootloop, but for the most part they were just dead. I think "bootloop issue" was just the name that stuck from early reports of the issue.

Well I stand corrected then. I've seen and heard of devices taking some effort to turn back on, but I didn't realize that was a common problem with the 5X.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

The new app is loving awesome btw and does poo poo like upload directly to imgur from the app.

I had never bothered seeing what that thing did and now that I know it's getting constant use so ty

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Does the Pixel have a tendency toward speaker problems? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere, and now it's relevant and topical because my original Pixel XL's main speakers stopped working right an hour or two ago: now every sound, even the notification sound is a distorted, stuttery, horrible annoyance.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Main Paineframe posted:

Does the Pixel have a tendency toward speaker problems? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere, and now it's relevant and topical because my original Pixel XL's main speakers stopped working right an hour or two ago: now every sound, even the notification sound is a distorted, stuttery, horrible annoyance.

I don't know but my iPhone speakers work perfectly, op.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know if they had a tendency for it, but my Pixel XL was fine. The person I sold it to reports it's still fine. You get any kind of extended warranty for it?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

There were some reports of it, faulty solder or something, it happened to my original XL that I bought close to release (speaker died completely, then after a few weeks the mic was gone too). My warranty replacement XL, which was also a 2016 model, has been fine.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

G-Spot Run posted:

There were some reports of it, faulty solder or something, it happened to my original XL that I bought close to release (speaker died completely, then after a few weeks the mic was gone too). My warranty replacement XL, which was also a 2016 model, has been fine.

I think it was microphone problems that were reported

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

I think it was microphone problems that were reported

It's all the same board down there in the chin and yeah, it's a known issue on the early models. I'd expect Google to replace the device if you bought it from them.

fart simpson posted:

I don't know but my iPhone speakers work perfectly, op.

Good to know, but keep us posted. Is this before the update to intentionally slow the device or after?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I get regular updates on my iPhone, too!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I still have a launch Pixel XL, no speaker/mic issues.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Hey everyone,

Looking to get my girlfriend a mid-range android phone to replace her dying Samsung (s7 or older, not sure entirely). I was looking into the Huawei Mate SE and it seems like a good choice, but I'm curious if anyone has a better/personal recommendation for the best all around android phone between $200-$300.

Thanks!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey everyone,

Looking to get my girlfriend a mid-range android phone to replace her dying Samsung (s7 or older, not sure entirely). I was looking into the Huawei Mate SE and it seems like a good choice, but I'm curious if anyone has a better/personal recommendation for the best all around android phone between $200-$300.

Thanks!

If you can hold off another month or two (forget exactly when it comes out), the upcoming Nokia 6 2018 looks promising.

The Moto G5+ (soon to have a new model released as well) is a great phone for that price range, but updates are few and far between.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The G6 has a date of April 19th for an event in Sao Paolo. Latest rumor has the G6+ fingerprint sensor on the back. If so, the G6+ vs Nokia 6 race just narrowed a lot for me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
I was in exactly the same boat and picked the Mate SE. I'll post some thoughts about it once she's been using it for a bit. She's currently got an Honor 6X which has been very good considering how hard she is on phones.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

You can save $50 by getting the 3GB/32GB Honor 7x, it's the exact same phone. They seem good.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Haven't seen any mention of the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 in this thread, it's about $400 on aliexpress and has a full complement of LTE bands and solid specs (no bezels, snapdragon 835, 6/8gb ram). Any reason not to consider one in that price bracket?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I rather get a Nokia 6 with Android One

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sanchez posted:

Haven't seen any mention of the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 in this thread, it's about $400 on aliexpress and has a full complement of LTE bands and solid specs (no bezels, snapdragon 835, 6/8gb ram). Any reason not to consider one in that price bracket?

That phone has always impressed me. Please get it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I just watched my Nexus 5x enter the dreaded bootloop before my eyes. I'm not impressed, it was barely 1.5 years old.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think 18 months is the running average lifespan on those.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

I just watched my Nexus 5x enter the dreaded bootloop before my eyes. I'm not impressed, it was barely 1.5 years old.

You should be, that's not bad for a 5x.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I had a 5X for two years, then I ditched it in favor of a Xperia XA2. Figured I didn't want to wait for it to bootloop. :downs:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Someone posted about refurbished Pixel 2 phones. Apparently woot/amazon has them: https://www.woot.com/offers/google-pixel-2-verizon-and-gsm-unlocked-1

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

My launch 5X is still working fine but I should probably make it someone else's problem before too long. Those new Nokias are pretty tempting...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

minusX posted:

Someone posted about refurbished Pixel 2 phones. Apparently woot/amazon has them: https://www.woot.com/offers/google-pixel-2-verizon-and-gsm-unlocked-1

I believe all Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL phones bought direct from Google have a two year warranty from date of purchase, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sourdough posted:

I believe all Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL phones bought direct from Google have a two year warranty from date of purchase, right?

Yes