Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkid8nNFMV1xoyw8p.mp4

quote:

So here's your--here's our hotel room. The door to the bathroom is clear, so you enter the bathroom, and everything's normal, you look at yourself, and everyone who's in the hallway can see you. And over here's the shower, it's relatively private. You enter the shower, and like wash yourself-- *breaks down laughing* Well okay okay, you decide to wash your hands, or sit down on the toilet and-- *another fit of laughter* Fine, fine, it's actually all okay because you grab this and you...uh, and you're like 'I want some privacy'", and you close--you close the curtain, and then you close this curtain-- *laughs* And you close that curtain too, and now you want to sit on the toilet and you're like 'Okay everything's closed, you can't see in", and so you sit down on the toilet-- *intense laughter*

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

That tile makes me so upset. It's aligned correctly in one direction but not the other and looks like poo poo. I mean it looks like an optical illusion. I'm sure it was intentional but it sucks.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

:discourse:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Just a pretty standard honeymoon suite at a love hotel, I don't see what the problem is.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I worked somewhere where they pulled out the Dyson hand dryers because they were too loud inside a bathroom. The industrial health folks said that people really ought to have hearing protection at those decibel levels and that isn't practical in a bathroom

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Rebar is that soft that it is easier to bend it out of the way, rather than make two cuts in each piece?

Or was someone delusional enough to think they were going to bend the rebar back and cover up the work location to make the structural column look whole?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Orvin posted:

Rebar is that soft that it is easier to bend it out of the way, rather than make two cuts in each piece?

Or was someone delusional enough to think they were going to bend the rebar back and cover up the work location to make the structural column look whole?

I thought maybe they'd run the already external pipe around the structural column or is that :thejoke:?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
From what I recall, rebar is pretty soft. It's not trivial to bend with your bare hands, but it's certainly possible; alternately, a few whacks with a hammer should get it out of your way. Its purpose in concrete is to provide strength in tension, and to help distribute load across the entire pour, to reduce the chance of cracks appearing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Rebar is typically 60ksi mild carbon steel and older stuff is ~40ksi, so very similar mechanical properties as A36 and Grade 50 structural steel for plates or wide flanges and the same Poisson's ratio (all carbon steel is ~29,000ksi). Remember that bendiness is about stiffness and all carbon steel is roughly the same stiffness until yield. Ironically the yield points for structural steels are a bit lower than equivalent rebar steel.

What makes it "soft" is those are likely #3 or #4 bars. The section isn't very stiff and has a small area so you can bend it slipping a pipe over the end like a lever (or hammering it away).

That same steel in a #8 or #10 bar for a commercial/industrial application will not bend without a significant mechanical advantage like a heavy duty pipe bender, heat treatment, or getting hooked bars from the mill.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 24, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

While structural columns should be installed with a generous safety factor, that safety factor isn't generally gonna be multiple whole integers. Removing over a square foot of area from the column may very well have reduced the column below acceptable strength.

Not to mention that exposing rebar intended to be buried inside of concrete without additional coating marks the member for a slow death. Rebar and concrete are intended to have each other's backs: the rebar reinforces the concrete to bear moments that concrete is bad at handling alone, while the concrete protects the rebar from the elements. Penetrations and deep cracks that aren't sealed proper can lead to slow, creeping failures as moisture can suddenly make its way to the rebar, rust it, expand it, and push apart the member from the inside.

Worse, the location of that member next to a seam between two walls potentially suggests that it is intended not only to take downward load, but buttress some outward thrust as well. Cutting it here might be even worse because it's compromising more than one design goal that the column was supposed to fulfill because that rebar is no longer helping to tie the wall in. you have to see the plans to know for sure, but you also can't just assume that concrete members are intended only to help handle downward forces.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 24, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/RomeInTheEast/status/1716525127582536146?s=20

https://twitter.com/KuHu2011/status/1716544935648801197?s=20

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

While structural columns should be installed with a generous safety factor, that safety factor isn't generally gonna be multiple whole integers. Removing over a square foot of area from the column may very well have reduced the column below acceptable strength.

Not to mention that exposing rebar intended to be buried inside of concrete without additional coating marks the member for a slow death. Rebar and concrete are intended to have each other's backs: the rebar reinforces the concrete to bear moments that concrete is bad at handling alone, while the concrete protects the rebar from the elements. Penetrations and deep cracks that aren't sealed proper can lead to slow, creeping failures as moisture can suddenly make its way to the rebar, rust it, expand it, and push apart the member from the inside.

Worse, the location of that member next to a seam between two walls potentially suggests that it is intended not only to take downward load, but buttress some outward thrust as well. Cutting it here might be even worse because it's compromising more than one design goal that the column was supposed to fulfill because that rebar is no longer helping to tie the wall in. you have to see the plans to know for sure, but you also can't just assume that concrete members are intended only to help handle downward forces.

Not disagreeing one bit. Especially in columns, any exposed rebar is column death so that column is hosed (though that tiny column embedded in a wall was likely old and doesn't meet modern code for hoop steel/detailing).

I don't see the seam between two walls but my guess is that the column is compromised but the shear wall is bearing additional axial load (likely in excess of its rated capacity). Concrete tends to have more generous safety factors than steel frames but this being a shear wall building instead of a moment frame building saved them from catastrophic failure. That being said it's hosed that this ever happened.

This isn't crappy construction but an intentional choice. Often the churches were made from repurposed ancient pagan temples or the debris from collapsed pagan temples in part to demonstrate the supremacy of the Christian church but also to show that the defilement of the temples do not incur reprisals from the old gods, undermining their continued influence.

Having seen examples of these in person, they're pretty buildings.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Blindeye posted:

This isn't crappy construction but an intentional choice. Often the houses were made from repurposed ancient leftovers or the debris from collapsed projects in part to demonstrate the supremacy of the handyman but also to show that the defilement of the trades do not incur reprisals from code enforcement, undermining their wages.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Blindeye posted:

I don't see the seam between two walls

It looks like the wall past the column is set back compared to the other, maybe that’s what they meant

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Blindeye posted:

This isn't crappy construction but an intentional choice.

Those tweets are spolia to help prop up the thread. :colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Blindeye posted:

I don't see the seam between two walls but my guess is that the column is compromised but the shear wall is bearing additional axial load (likely in excess of its rated capacity).

My eyes might be misinterpreting this, but you can see from the path the pipe takes that the member at the right side of the photo is set back from the wall at the left, so it looks like some kind of coupled shear wall with an L or C at the left and just more wall at the right

edit: which, of course, would only go on to reinforce your point :nfpa:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 24, 2023

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Those tweets are spolia to help prop up the thread. :colbert:

Are you saying you're repurposing perfectly good tweets in lieu of developing your own posts in a blend of purposeful curation and haphazard recycling to sustain this forum?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

My eyes might be misinterpreting this, but you can see from the path the pipe takes that the member at the right side of the photo is set back from the wall at the left, so it looks like some kind of coupled shear wall with an L or C at the left and just more wall at the right

edit: which, of course, would only go on to reinforce your point :nfpa:

I see that step and just thought it was part of the smashed up column rather than the shear wall. Either way, yikes.

Edit: lol reinforcing

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Spolia alert!
Whole lot of buildings in Cuzco post-conquest are built right on the top of the Incan foundations. They're trapezoidal profile foundations built with giant blocks of stone expertly shaped so they fit together without mortar. The joints are so tight you can't slide a piece of paper between them. Using mortar in stonework was the crappy construction technique for unimportant buildings in the ancient Andean way.

As it turns out, giant blocks of fitted stone is a really great construction technique when you live in earthquake country.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crappy construction, is cool?

"Thucydides posted:

the whole population in the city was to labour at the wall, the Athenians, their wives, and their children, sparing no edifice, private or public, which might be of any use to the work, but throwing all down.
In this way the Athenians walled their city in a little while. To this day the building shows signs of the haste of its execution; the foundations are laid of stones of all kinds, and in some places not wrought or fitted, but placed just in the order in which they were brought by the different hands; and many columns, too, from tombs, and sculptured stones were put in with the rest

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Spolia alert!
Whole lot of buildings in Cuzco post-conquest are built right on the top of the Incan foundations. They're trapezoidal profile foundations built with giant blocks of stone expertly shaped so they fit together without mortar. The joints are so tight you can't slide a piece of paper between them. Using mortar in stonework was the crappy construction technique for unimportant buildings in the ancient Andean way.

As it turns out, giant blocks of fitted stone is a really great construction technique when you live in earthquake country.

Cyclopean architecture is amazing and it's criminal that we'll never see the glory of the temple complex thanks to the conquistadors.

There's also a medieval town in Portugal called Óbidos where the aqueduct that went into the town eventually blends into the houses built inside the city walls in a similar way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blindeye posted:

This isn't crappy construction but an intentional choice.

Not arguing in the least bit.

BUUUUTTTTTT So many times crappy construction in an intentional choice.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Blindeye posted:

Cyclopean architecture is amazing and it's criminal that we'll never see the glory of the temple complex thanks to the conquistadors.

There's also a medieval town in Portugal called Óbidos where the aqueduct that went into the town eventually blends into the houses built inside the city walls in a similar way.

Well, learned something today, I just thought "Cyclopean architecture" meant "big buildings."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blindeye posted:

This isn't crappy construction but an intentional choice. Often the churches were made from repurposed ancient pagan temples or the debris from collapsed pagan temples in part to demonstrate the supremacy of the Christian church but also to show that the defilement of the temples do not incur reprisals from the old gods, undermining their continued influence.

Epitope beat it to me, but yeah, re-using existing stones wasn't exactly uncommon. Why would you go to all the labor of quarrying new stone when there was a perfectly good building you can loot instead? Hell, you see this kind of thing today with old buildings being looted of their bricks.

quote:

In May 2008, 11 buildings on the North Side burned in a three-night period. “It was all one guy setting the fires, working with the brick thieves,” says Allen. Roughly a year ago, there was a spate of four more fires. “They may burn the building down, to get the fire department to loosen up the wall with high-pressure hoses, but they’re burning a building that’s already been abandoned, sometimes for 15 or 20 years,” he says.

“But that’s not something that most of the thieves do,” he continues. “They’re showing up and using bare-knuckle force, pulling chimneys down with ropes, knocking out the base of a wall and letting it cave in. That’s more of the typical approach.”

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Here are some nice stone walls.

One of my favorite walking spots is Yamane Ground, a giant stone stadium built in my town in the 1960s.

https://hardcandy.exblog.jp/27939388/

You can see it being used naturally in this festival video (main competition around 31:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBfi8iWroI

This summer we visited Marugame Castle. The stone foundation collapsed due to a cycle of heavy rain, and they are carefully replacing each stone into its original location, with seismic reinforcements.
Introduction
https://www.city.marugame.lg.jp/site/castle/

Repair work
https://www.city.marugame.lg.jp/site/castle/2924.html

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 24, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Stop. How does any sane person just cut through all that?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Dave posted:

"Hey there's a stud right there. It's fine." :downs:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Dave posted:

It's HVAC man, they're a different breed.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

ha ha sawzall goes brrrrrrrr.....

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

peanut posted:

Here are some nice stone walls.

One of my favorite walking spots is Yamane Ground, a giant stone stadium built in my town in the 1960s.

https://hardcandy.exblog.jp/27939388/

You can see it being used naturally in this festival video (main competition around 31:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBfi8iWroI

This summer we visited Marugame Castle. The stone foundation collapsed due to a cycle of heavy rain, and they are carefully replacing each stone into its original location, with seismic reinforcements.
Introduction
https://www.city.marugame.lg.jp/site/castle/

Repair work
https://www.city.marugame.lg.jp/site/castle/2924.html

The Met Cloisters is the best Uas example I can think of. A medieval art museum shaped like a castle, made of castles.

https://www.metmuseum.org/visit/plan-your-visit/met-cloisters

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

This might actually be literal crappy construction; one of the soil pipes vents directly into the loft (which made being up there when a toilet was flushed a sub optimal experience), but the loft itself is fully vented to the outside through the soffits so I can't decide if this is bad or not.

The bathroom below it is being replaced which has uncovered some fun things like the aqua board by the shower drain being mouldy because the relaid tiles hosed the drainage up and the toilet being plumbed in so badly that it was trying to flow uphill and had also been fitted to plasterboard which had crushed so it was now on an angle. To quote the guy doing it "it would have been easier to do a proper job".

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This might actually be literal crappy construction; one of the soil pipes vents directly into the loft (which made being up there when a toilet was flushed a sub optimal experience), but the loft itself is fully vented to the outside through the soffits so I can't decide if this is bad or not.

The bathroom below it is being replaced which has uncovered some fun things like the aqua board by the shower drain being mouldy because the relaid tiles hosed the drainage up and the toilet being plumbed in so badly that it was trying to flow uphill and had also been fitted to plasterboard which had crushed so it was now on an angle. To quote the guy doing it "it would have been easier to do a proper job".

“When I was young, I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. So I did ten times more work.” – George Bernard Shaw

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Harry_Potato posted:

“When I was young, I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. So I did ten times more work.” – George Bernard Shaw

I think we've all worked with that guy at some point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

For the record, the sewer vent should go all the way through the roof. That’s not just smell, but methane being vented to your attic.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Normally in this sort of arrangement you'd have a one-way valve capping off the pipe, so it can draw in air and prevent itself from developing underpressure, rather than just having it open into the attic. I'd look into getting one of those, they're little mushroom fellas.

We call them vacuum vents here, but I'm not sure if American plumbers might call them something else.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Harry_Potato posted:

Ja, we've all dwelt in that cave

PurpleXVI posted:

We call them vacuum vents here, but I'm not sure if American plumbers might call them something else.

Studor vents. Still supposed to have a main vent, though.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 30, 2023

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Normally in this sort of arrangement you'd have a one-way valve capping off the pipe, so it can draw in air and prevent itself from developing underpressure, rather than just having it open into the attic. I'd look into getting one of those, they're little mushroom fellas.

The smaller ones are called "island vents" and used to vent a sink in the middle of the room. I've never seen a 4" vent for a main stack like that.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...1.htm?exp=false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Darchangel posted:

For the record, the sewer vent should go all the way through the roof. That’s not just smell, but methane being vented to your attic.

Also rats can shimmy up the vent pipes and nest in your attic.