Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The Fallout 2 loading screen image of the Tribal guy wearing the brotherhood helmet is powerful though.

For real. I really wish they used that for the Fallout 2 cover art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Fallout “tribals” with scavenged power armour bits and pieces and plasma spears is such a cool idea that’s never been used,Fallout desperately needs at least one game set in the far (farther) future that’s not clinging to the 50’s/the world is rubble thing.

Do a step forward to the 60’s 70’s or 80’s and let things progress.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Fallout “tribals” with scavenged power armour bits and pieces and plasma spears is such a cool idea that’s never been used,Fallout desperately needs at least one game set in the far (farther) future that’s not clinging to the 50’s/the world is rubble thing.

Do a step forward to the 60’s 70’s or 80’s and let things progress.

We're never going to get that, it'd kill the brand identity.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

We're never going to get that, it'd kill the brand identity.

Nah, fallouts had games pretty off brand before. If it's a one off spin off thing and people don't like it, they'll just forget about it in a year or two.

With the success of the TV show, I think it would take a lot to kill off the franchise at this point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A fallout game under Bethesda is a decade long project, and therefore is such a huge investment that it must desperately cling to all the brand hallmarks and guidelines, it's not something that can be farted out in a year or two with relative creative freedom

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

steinrokkan posted:

A fallout game under Bethesda is a decade long project, and therefore is such a huge investment that it must desperately cling to all the brand hallmarks and guidelines, it's not something that can be farted out in a year or two with relative creative freedom

True,which is why games need to go back to crusty fallout 1 graphics damnit!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

There's still a chance that MS gets another studio to do some small scope in-between game with another studio and Bethesda "consulting". MS would, really, really be wanting some way to cash in on the popularity of the Fallout TV show right now, particular with x-box studio struggling a bit apparently.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is obsidian busy with any big projects? They seem like they’d be the logical choice for something like that, especially since season 2 of the show looks like it’s going to be entirely focused on the events of new Vegas?
Can’t really see why they wouldn’t be picked since MS owns both, jokes about Todd Howard aside

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're working on Outer Worlds 2 aren't they?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

They're working on Outer Worlds 2 aren't they?

And Avowed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is obsidian busy with any big projects? They seem like they’d be the logical choice for something like that, especially since season 2 of the show looks like it’s going to be entirely focused on the events of new Vegas?
Can’t really see why they wouldn’t be picked since MS owns both, jokes about Todd Howard aside

Avowed which has a release date of "fall" this year, and Outer worlds 2, which people are thinking 2025 release date, but nothing confirmed. And while a new Obsidian fallout would be good and an obvious choice, MS does have a few other studios who do RPG's, so if they do go for another studio doing one, they could quite easily pick one of them, like inExile or Arkane. Although from what I've heard a lot of talent left Arkane during the whole redfall fiasco, as well as their style games being more mechanics based than the usually fallouts.

Minecraft: Fallout adventures!!!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The original Fallouts were only partially 50s-inspired anyway. The music and the art deco stuff is from even earlier. And much of the post-apoc aesthetic was very early 90s grunge feeling.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The 50s aesthetic is the only reason Fallout stands apart from every other post-apocalyptic game series. Ditching it to chase 80s neon especially would just kill it again like Brotherhood of Steel did.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Byzantine posted:

The 50s aesthetic is the only reason Fallout stands apart from every other post-apocalyptic game series. Ditching it to chase 80s neon especially would just kill it again like Brotherhood of Steel did.

Brotherhood of steel didn't kill the original games though. Interplay going bankrupt did.

They were still trying to make another till the end, they just run out of money to do it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

An Arkane Fallout could be amazing if they were allowed to lean in to their ImSim competency. Fallout coming back to Brian Fargo at inXile would be pretty funny and probably never allowed to happen.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Glimpse posted:

An Arkane Fallout could be amazing if they were allowed to lean in to their ImSim competency.

Unfortunately it sounds like a lot of the people behind their immersive sim competency left during Redfall's very trouble development. But yeah, certainly during their Dishonoured/Prey days they could've made something interesting as hell.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Fallout 5 brought to you by blizzard

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

would love to see inExile do a top down crpg fallout, but im not sure i want it more than i want them to do their own thing

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'd only be down for another Obsidian fallout if they got Sawyer back to direct, I've loved basically every game he's directed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

shouldn't have destroyed new canaan off screen, it would be a super interesting location for a future game

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They could easily leave New Canaan intact and say that they didn't all get got, or show it rebuilt after the attack. If they even felt the need to chain themselves by previously established canon, which there's no real obligation to.

I'm still a little surprised that Fallout 3 had a one-off quest talking about how Boston had a bunch of replicant androids running around, and they went through with making that the central basis of Fallout 4.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Really want to see Two Sun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RandolphCarter posted:

Really want to see Two Sun.

Raul: It's *Tucson* dammit!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

BurritoJustice posted:

I'd only be down for another Obsidian fallout if they got Sawyer back to direct, I've loved basically every game he's directed.

actually, (very politely) uhhh, f that! after Pentiment, the only somebody-else's-IP I willingly shackle him to with my mind powers is Darklands

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
neither Bethesda, nor games, nor a studio :lofty:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://chrisavellone.medium.com/fallout-apocrypha-tv-series-review-part-1-c4714083a637

Chris Avellone's got a write-up on his thoughts regarding the TV show.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

https://chrisavellone.medium.com/fallout-apocrypha-tv-series-review-part-1-c4714083a637

Chris Avellone's got a write-up on his thoughts regarding the TV show.

thanks for the link! I wont be clicking it! :)

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

IDK if this is better for the modding thread but to go with what everyone said about playing LR just before Hoover Dam, if you have the FPGE mod, would it be better to play it before or after Hoover Dam, either from a gameplay or story perspective.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Unfortunately it sounds like a lot of the people behind their immersive sim competency left during Redfall's very trouble development. But yeah, certainly during their Dishonoured/Prey days they could've made something interesting as hell.

Arkane Austin is also being shut down in its entirety, that's also a factor.

e:

Dreamsicle posted:

IDK if this is better for the modding thread but to go with what everyone said about playing LR just before Hoover Dam, if you have the FPGE mod, would it be better to play it before or after Hoover Dam, either from a gameplay or story perspective.

IIRC the ending slides for Lonesome Road specifically references the showdown at Hoover Dam as an upcoming event, LR won't really make sense if one side has already "won".

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 21, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dreamsicle posted:

I mean from a story perspective it's objectively intended to be played before Hoover Dam, on account that normally that's the only possible way to play it. From a gameplay perspective, playing it before Hoover Dam means that you actually get to use the high end DLC gear in the main story (which is like the only upside of playing through LR)

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Arkane Austin is also being shut down in its entirety, that's also a factor.

e:

IIRC the ending slides for Lonesome Road specifically references the showdown at Hoover Dam as an upcoming event, LR won't really make sense if one side has already "won".

Ah I forgot about that part of the ending slides, I was considering playing LR after the Dam roleplaying it as some personal business to take care of after it's done.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I call bull, New Vegas got fart out in a "year or two".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Because they outsourced it, I don't think there's any indication that they plan to do that again

Obviously it's technically possible to crank out games quickly, but I'd say it's obvious that's not how Bethesda operates

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 21, 2024

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Arivia posted:

And Avowed.

I'm going to miss Obsidian once Microsoft closes them down after Avowed get critical acclaim and alright sales number that, "failed meet Microsoft's expectations." :smith:

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

steinrokkan posted:

Because they outsourced it, I don't think there's any indication that they plan to do that again

Also that was 14 years ago. Imagine comparing game development in 1986 to 2000.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

Also that was 14 years ago. Imagine comparing game development in 1986 to 2000.

Sir, this series is built on Gamebryo engine, any development is already is already like "1986". :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dreamsicle posted:

Ah I forgot about that part of the ending slides, I was considering playing LR after the Dam roleplaying it as some personal business to take care of after it's done.

You can certainly do it that way, there's just a couple of lines referring to Hoover Dam in the future tense that'll come up.

Once I didn't feel like doing Dead Money so I skipped it on a playthrough, then after finishing the game I decided to go do it after all, and it worked surprisingly well as an epilogue story

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wizard2 posted:

thanks for the link! I wont be clicking it! :)

OK.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

2house2fly posted:

You can certainly do it that way, there's just a couple of lines referring to Hoover Dam in the future tense that'll come up.

Once I didn't feel like doing Dead Money so I skipped it on a playthrough, then after finishing the game I decided to go do it after all, and it worked surprisingly well as an epilogue story

Drowning the Mojave under a blood red cloud is a downer of an epilogue imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Nah, fallouts had games pretty off brand before. If it's a one off spin off thing and people don't like it, they'll just forget about it in a year or two.

It did when the series was specifically dying. So yeah, no, I don't think we'll see a repeat. Besides, the Institute already specifically was a look at a faction that feels more 60s/70s than the rest of the Wasteland.