Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

credburn posted:

FFXIII has great music and super interesting art direction. The gameplay problems are what they are, but I felt they overshadowed the really cool parts of the experience.

XXIII-2 was haha wtf terrible in every way though. I mean, except you could put hats on monsters, that was cool.

Did nobody else play Type-0? That game had wonky gameplay and the English dub is unlistenable but wow what a hosed up and awesome setting/story/ending

Played it by importing the Japanese psp version because I'm an idiot.

It was really impressive back in the day for portable game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm giving Final Fantasy 13 another shot after bouncing off it over a decade ago. It's a dumb little thing, but I really like how the background pictures in the menu animate a few frames when you select a character. It's a neat effect.

The game was very pretty and I remember not hating the job system despite it being a striped down sphere grid.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

credburn posted:

Did nobody else play Type-0? That game had wonky gameplay and the English dub is unlistenable but wow what a hosed up and awesome setting/story/ending

Played the port on ps...3? 4? It was a mess that definitely felt like a portable game, but yeah the story and setting were really loving out there, the final chapter was wild (even though it's basically a massive diabolus ex machina), the combat was alright, and the music, at least a few of the tracks, was awesome.

After beating it the game's like 'hey you can play again and now these random-rear end missions are unlocked for ng+' and I just went lol nah.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm playing it in 4k, and the visuals hold up really well. I liked how this game and FFXII did their battle systems. I would definitely play a new RPG that uses the Gambit system

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm playing it in 4k, and the visuals hold up really well. I liked how this game and FFXII did their battle systems. I would definitely play a new RPG that uses the Gambit system

Every single game in which you control one person of a party in a real-time system should be required by law to have a gambit system.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Call of Duty 4-2: The second mission has an ice climbing mechanic where you have to alternate pressing in the triggers to stick the climbing axes into the ice. Also at the end, you jump across a chasm in a snowmobile.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Which was the one that had the prison shootout from the rock? Modern warfare 2?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ilmucche posted:

Which was the one that had the prison shootout from the rock? Modern warfare 2?

Yup.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They were fun but it got a bit much when every MW2 level ends with some cinematic chase scene

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Jagged Alliance 2 had a demo back in the day that was it's own mission that didn't appear in the rest of the game. I must have played that for dozens of hours over at my friend's house.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Been playing Kenshi lately, and this game keeps surprising me with random goofiness in what is otherwise a serious, grimdark world.

Was exploring the wastes and came across a town. I step into the bar to sell some weapons I looted off bandits, and looked through the various bounties available. One caught my eye.

:raise:

Just so happens, that not far from this town, in a partially sunken tower on a string of small islands, I found the bounty. He attacks as soon as he sees me and gives his battle cry.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
That's from the Avalon Isles mod but that's still pretty fantastic :allears:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

credburn posted:

XXIII-2 was haha wtf terrible in every way though. I mean, except you could put hats on monsters, that was cool.

Please tell us more about FFXXIII-2 though, I'm always interested in games from the future. Fortunately, FFXIII-2 is pretty sweet.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Agents are GO! posted:

Please tell us more about FFXXIII-2 though, I'm always interested in games from the future. Fortunately, FFXIII-2 is pretty sweet.

So basically after MuskSoft bought Square and Fred Durst took over after Uemastu passed I felt like the overall

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 had a demo back in the day that was it's own mission that didn't appear in the rest of the game. I must have played that for dozens of hours over at my friend's house.

Fallout had a demo that took place in a place called Scrapheap that was kinda similar to Junktown but its own place.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

credburn posted:

Fallout demo
Scrapheap
Junktown

:hmmyes:

edit:

credburn posted:

So basically after MuskSoft bought Square and Fred Durst took over after Uemastu passed I felt like the overall

Is it weird that I skimmed over this and read Robert Durst, then thought, "Huh, that kinda fits"

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Aug 24, 2022

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I just realized that the merc Shadow in Jagged Alliance 2 gives me real 'Tom Berenger in Sniper " vibes

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Did you ever find the secret door to the mines?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Half-Life: Uplink is basically a demo that has the full Hazard Course and the main game is a sequence that doesn't appear in the finished game either.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Half-Life: Uplink is basically a demo that has the full Hazard Course and the main game is a sequence that doesn't appear in the finished game either.

I think Jedi Outcast also had a really good demo level. Too good, in fact, because you started with your lightsaber and force powers and fought a dark jedi and do all that cool stuff right off the bat, then in the full game the first few levels are standard FPS fare until you get your lightsaber.

I think Half-Life / Uplink would have felt the same if I hadn't played the release version first. Uplink was really good and quick-paced; maybe the tram ride and the walk to the test chamber would have seemed overlong.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedi outcast should have accelerated the new weapon curve so you get every weapon then your light saber i will not be taking questions on this point

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Stanley Parable demo includes a gallery of great demos.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Croccers posted:

Did you ever find the secret door to the mines?

Where do you think I'm writing this from? If you find the secret door again, don't let it swing shut behind you! Learned that one the hard way harhar

sebmojo posted:

Jedi outcast should have accelerated the new weapon curve so you get every weapon then your light saber i will not be taking questions on this point

It should have made you out to be like that guy with lightsabers flying out of all his joints. Just one new lightsaber sticking out of you on each level, until you reach a cascade overflow and start fighting talking lightsabers wielding guns made out of lightsabers on bridges made of lightsabers while force choking them with lightsabers. On Tantooine again.

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Aug 24, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

F.E.A.R. had an awesome demo that was created as it's own thing. I miss demos, it was one of the great things about having all our stuff online all the time and now it's been mostly abandoned

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The common belief is that demos reduce sales, so sadly lots of games don't get them. Though to be fair they are usually also a bit of extra work to do.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Demos are coming back a little bit it appears, with Steam at least devs are apparently penalized in some way if there are too many refunds so there's some incentive

But yeah, miss those demo days. Especially unique demos, something about this little bespoke mini-universe always captured my imagination for reasons I don't really know. Waaaay back in the day PCgamer demo discs had an entire tiny little first person adventure game with a couple puzzles and jokes that was sort of a Hub zone for the actual demos and it ruled

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hel posted:

The common belief is that demos reduce sales, so sadly lots of games don't get them. Though to be fair they are usually also a bit of extra work to do.

The "common belief" mostly parroted by the people spending 4 gazillion dollars to produce another generic, uninspired game that still somehow only gets 45% completed by the 2nd or 3rd 'release date' its pushed back to. No idea why they might hate demos.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I suppose if a demo can't do the full game justice, then that's a good reason not to have them. Cult of the Lamb for example is a good game that I really enjoy playing, but the demo didn't even have mouse controls so you had to use some kind of finger twisting keyboard only layout that was painful to play. On that same note, one of the best demos I ever played was for Torchlight, this one basically put you at the beginning of the game and when the demo ended it kept my and my progress for the full game.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Extremely :same: I played the poo poo out of that demo. They gave you a nice mix of mercs that ranged from really good (Shadow), middle of the pack (Vicki), and "well, not very good, but he's got funny voice lines" (Gasket). I also put a lot of hours into the actual game and never got close to beating it cause I spent all my time meticulously sorting items in towns or goofing off exploring the map.

I tried to get 1.13 working on a modern system last weekend and it refused to cooperate :(

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Demos are coming back a little bit it appears, with Steam at least devs are apparently penalized in some way if there are too many refunds so there's some incentive

But yeah, miss those demo days. Especially unique demos, something about this little bespoke mini-universe always captured my imagination for reasons I don't really know. Waaaay back in the day PCgamer demo discs had an entire tiny little first person adventure game with a couple puzzles and jokes that was sort of a Hub zone for the actual demos and it ruled

I remember back in the day of PCGamer demo discs and realizing there were sometimes entire ecosystems of small demos that weren't even alluded to in the magazine hidden away in directories (the demo discs usually also had large repositories of game patches, which was nice back in the days when 56k was considered high end for internet speeds).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
gently caress it was a blast exploring demo discs that came with magazines. There was always text files and images contained on it that were just extra random nonsense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randalor posted:

I remember back in the day of PCGamer demo discs and realizing there were sometimes entire ecosystems of small demos that weren't even alluded to in the magazine hidden away in directories (the demo discs usually also had large repositories of game patches, which was nice back in the days when 56k was considered high end for internet speeds).

I remember getting the full game of Independence War free with a magazine on their included disk. I think it was a PCGamer issue too.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

credburn posted:

gently caress it was a blast exploring demo discs that came with magazines. There was always text files and images contained on it that were just extra random nonsense.

Some classmate gave me a demo disc from 1998 that had Klingon Honor Guard and Delta Force on it. I somehow sunk hundreds of hours into just mastering the one level for each. I should check if it's still sitting in my parents' basement.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Loved those discs so much. My favorite was easily Age of Empires, I spent so much time replaying the demo campaign a million times. It completely sold me on the game, I bought it later on when I was able to scrounge up the money.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
My parents were reluctant to let me play FPSes when I was young, so there were a ton of shooters in the mid-late 90s that I was only ever able to play the demos of, off demo discs from a friend's PC Gamer subscription. Those were the days!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Hygiene posted:

Loved those discs so much. My favorite was easily Age of Empires, I spent so much time replaying the demo campaign a million times. It completely sold me on the game, I bought it later on when I was able to scrounge up the money.

The demo campaign for AoE and Rise of Rome whipped rear end hell yeah

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My first exposure to xcom was the full free game on a pcgamer disk hell yeah

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kitfox88 posted:

My first exposure to xcom was the full free game on a pcgamer disk hell yeah

I remember that disc that was a good disc

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Castle of the Winds was the biggest let down of my young life when it came to the game not living up to it's demo. I came this close to biting the bullet on Solar Winds instead, but I hear it turned out the same way 😡

Zero_Grade posted:

Extremely :same: I played the poo poo out of that demo. They gave you a nice mix of mercs that ranged from really good (Shadow), middle of the pack (Vicki), and "well, not very good, but he's got funny voice lines" (Gasket). I also put a lot of hours into the actual game and never got close to beating it cause I spent all my time meticulously sorting items in towns or goofing off exploring the map.

I tried to get 1.13 working on a modern system last weekend and it refused to cooperate :(

Dr Q has the Martial Arts trait and does a jumping roundhouse when he melees. You bet your booty I ran through that thing trying to re-enact Big Trouble in Little Chinatown while spraying and praying with Shadow like a scene out of Commando

I legit forgot Gasket was on the team rip

edit: ok this has been killing me lately. PC Gamer US magazine, mid-to-late 90s, they had a staff writer who was a portly balding white dude with a mustache and glasses straight out of the 80s. I feel like he wrote more about strategy games and sci-fi, not the old grognard tabletop dude who did war games. I want to say Dan something? I had a bigger picture of him cut out and in a collage on my wall in high school.

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Aug 24, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If you didn't know, there's a bunch of old PC magazine cover disks on Archive.org - the PC GAMER archive is a good start but if you dig around in the search a bit there's a bunch of others

https://tinyurl.com/44m89urx

(Tinyurl'd as archive.org bless them put square brackets in their URLs that break forums linking, like what the gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
When I was a kid I had a demo of Dark Reign and it had the tutorial and maybe one "campaign" level with limited units but I somehow figured out that the unit definitions were in human-readable text files and you could mash them up and the game would still work, so I was making custom units with the body of one and the guns off another. Must have had a lot of time on my hands.

Also can't remember if it was a demo I had or not but Battlezone was such a cool game, real time strategy but you could also drive around and get out and snipe the drivers out of other units like an fps.