Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fart simpson posted:

The 7 plus is a decent phone but why not just get an 8 plus or an X at this point?

All these phones have the same name how do I tell them apart ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well poo poo. Something has to be weird with the setting though, I've never blown through my data cap before and my usage pattern was normal. I wish there was an easy way to diagnose.

Yeah, Android out of the box will switch to data even if it's connected to a WiFi if that WiFi has no Internet connection. I think that setting just makes that process faster. I think the Pixels may be more aggressive about this process too due to Project Fi, but I couldn't tell you how to diagnose either.

One thing I've noticed is that while it's going on data incorrectly, I have the data indicator (H+, H, 3G, etc.) next to the cellular signal icon even while WiFi is connected with no (x) next to it indicating there's no Internet connection.

:thunk:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

xiaomi's gaming phone
$477 with a snapdragon 845 + $30 controller

doubt it has bands to work anywhere outside china, though

I believe most Xiaomi phones will work on GSM at least with 4G. My Redmi 5+ has most of the LTE bands for AT&T except for one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

At least in Spain, you can import a phone from China and it'll work with 4G with all carriers so that may be true for the rest of communist Europe.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So goons, I have an Axon 7 on LOS right now, and I got my tax return and I'm want a shiny new phone. I see the OP is two years out of date, and I haven't paid attention to the smart phone market in over a year, so can anybody help recommend something? I'd like something that's got room for SD cards, good battery life and works with att. Preferably rootable as well, but for me that's pretty much just for adblock these days. I'm not sure I really need it, cause I can't think of anything major I really use that's rooted, besides having the pleasure of not having a lovely ROM. My phone is getting a little slow and old, and I'd like something to better use to shitpost on twitter and youtube streams.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If you want SD support and a flagship phone, a V30(+) or Galaxy S9(+)

Otherwise a Pixel2 (XL) is probably the more goon-loved device but has no headphone jack or sd slot.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

This is really nitpicky, but my Pixel XL isn't logging any Driving Stats in Google Maps even though I drive 15 miles to and from work everyday with Maps open and actively navigating me via Android Auto. Anyone else bother with this or have any experience with it at all?

(I like knowing where traffic is up ahead and having a consistent ETA on my screen for any inquiries as to why I need Maps open to get somewhere I already know how to get to)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of weird Android Auto things, mine recently stopped showing weather on the main screen. Anyone else had this happen and know how to fix it?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh hey I got the March security update on my G5+. Or it says I did, anyways. Maybe it spent 10 minutes installing nothing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant say enough about the camera on my Pixel 2. I think I'm more impressed with it than when I got that Lumia 1020 years ago. I mean look at the colors in my dart board in this quick pic

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

If you want SD support and a flagship phone, a V30(+) or Galaxy S9(+)

Otherwise a Pixel2 (XL) is probably the more goon-loved device but has no headphone jack or sd slot.

I wouldn't say i exactly want a flagship phone as much as something that's either inherently less bloated with the features id like (sd and battery) or something that's easy enough to flash los or another rom onto. I'm not in need of buying a new phone, so I'm gonna take time and do my research,

OnePlus is still making garbage fires, i assume? Last time i came around here i think that was the thread title.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SpookyLizard posted:

I wouldn't say i exactly want a flagship phone as much as something that's either inherently less bloated with the features id like (sd and battery) or something that's easy enough to flash los or another rom onto. I'm not in need of buying a new phone, so I'm gonna take time and do my research,

OnePlus is still making garbage fires, i assume? Last time i came around here i think that was the thread title.

Yep.
https://www.google.com/search?q=oneplus+security+concerns

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Nalin posted:

Average missing patches per device from each manufacturer
0 or 1 - Google, Samsung, and Sony
1 to 3 - Xiaomi, OnePlus, and Nokia
3 to 4 - HTC, Huawei, LG, and Motorola
4 or more - TCL and ZTE

Something Oneplus isn't the most horrible at, mark the calendar.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You don't have missing patches if you don't have updates! :pseudo:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My G5+ got an update yesterday. System menu says security patch level March 1 2018, but there's no other patch notes in the UI right?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The messaging on my pixel 1 has been acting weird. It'll constantly tell me my messages aren't sent when they actually are (cause people reply to them) and probably half the time when I'm using it I'll get the "messages has stopped working" warning. I've started just hitting ignore and it still works but I'll get that message again every ten seconds. Is this a known issue?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

duck trucker posted:

The messaging on my pixel 1 has been acting weird. It'll constantly tell me my messages aren't sent when they actually are (cause people reply to them) and probably half the time when I'm using it I'll get the "messages has stopped working" warning. I've started just hitting ignore and it still works but I'll get that message again every ten seconds. Is this a known issue?

You can try switching off delivery reports, under settings - advanced.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy 5 I haven't used in a while and there isn't a SIM card in it. I want to update it to the latest OS, but without the SIM card in it, it states that Android Version 5.1.1 is the latest version. Is there anyway around this?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

obi_ant posted:

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy 5 I haven't used in a while and there isn't a SIM card in it. I want to update it to the latest OS, but without the SIM card in it, it states that Android Version 5.1.1 is the latest version. Is there anyway around this?
Short of figuring out how to root it and installing a custom ROM of potentially dubious origin? No, not really.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

duck trucker posted:

I've been having similar problems. It's very Google. I'm considering solutions like begging my parents to use Hangouts.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Try installing a different sms app like textra first

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I've done software updates on my old Samsung phones without sim card at all. The issue may be that 5.1.1 is the last one you can officially install on your S5. So as said previously, rooting and installing a custom ROM is your only way to get a newer version. If your phone is a carrier version, you may be able to flash Samsung's official software to an international version (UK usually does the trick) and with some luck be in Android 6.0.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had an (originally, Verizon) Galaxy S6 as a test device with no service and no SIM. I couldn't get it to update to Marshmallow until I installed Kies and updated over USB.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What if I I have a friend that has the same carrier as my phone? Can I borrow their SIM card, update my phone and give them back their SIM card? Anything I should be worried about in terms of something flagging on their account?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Updating Android has nothing to do with your sim card. If 5.whatever is the max your phone supports that's that unless you deal with rooting it or whatever.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Javid posted:

Updating Android has nothing to do with your sim card. If 5.whatever is the max your phone supports that's that unless you deal with rooting it or whatever.

Yes, but there's different versions depending on carrier and the system might use the SIM to determine which one to get.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wacky Delly posted:

Yes, but there's different versions depending on carrier and the system might use the SIM to determine which one to get.

Yeah my g5+ is due an update but carrier isn't pushing it so I'm hosed

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I got my update on T-Mobile USA. Should I care?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

What are your guys' hopes for the next Pixel?

I'd love to see a 4,000+mAh battery.
A larger primary camera sensor like the Huawei P20Pro or old Lumia 1020 with manual shutter and ISO settings.
A telephoto lens with 3x or more optical zoom.
Retain the front facing speakers (hell, make them more powerful).
Wireless charging (not super important).
A better, less color shifty, OLED dispaly.
Some guestures like Motorola's "chop to flashlight" would be nice.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I would love a phone that was 2x as thick as most current ones with a ridiculously huge battery.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just make a Pixel that's cheap like the Nexus phones. I wouldn't mind if they just kept making the Pixel 2 but made it half the price.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'd like a phone with top-of-the-line specs, but they pay me to use it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think a $350 Google phone that's priced similarly to the Nexus line is unreasonable. Put in a cheaper processor or whatever.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think a $350 Google phone that's priced similarly to the Nexus line is unreasonable. Put in a cheaper processor or whatever.

There are rumors of this happening for the pixel 3. But they're rumors, and it's possible a cheap variant would be for "emerging markets" and not available in the US.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Javid posted:

I would love a phone that was 2x as thick as most current ones with a ridiculously huge battery.

Why is this not a thing. Seriously

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not really sure what you guys are doing with your phones, but it takes serious effort for me to kill my Pixel 2 XL in a single day. 8 hour SoT is pretty standard. The 845 is something 20% better on power so the Pixel 3 XL will be better still. 3500mah seems like plenty.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Phone should be able to last several days on a charge imo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm not really sure what you guys are doing with your phones, but it takes serious effort for me to kill my Pixel 2 XL in a single day. 8 hour SoT is pretty standard. The 845 is something 20% better on power so the Pixel 3 XL will be better still. 3500mah seems like plenty.

I don't get anywhere near that, normal is 5h screen on time on my 2 XL. I have no clue how you get 8, wtf.

I too would like to see thicker phones with bigger batteries.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mental Hospitality posted:

What are your guys' hopes for the next Pixel?

I'd love to see a 4,000+mAh battery.
A larger primary camera sensor like the Huawei P20Pro or old Lumia 1020 with manual shutter and ISO settings.
A telephoto lens with 3x or more optical zoom.
Retain the front facing speakers (hell, make them more powerful).
Wireless charging (not super important).
A better, less color shifty, OLED dispaly.
Some guestures like Motorola's "chop to flashlight" would be nice.

That the small one also has small bezels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Games like Ingress or Pokemon will ANNIHILATE a battery in a couple hours. You'd be hard pressed to build a better "chew through mAh as enthusiastically as possible" app on purpose. Screen on + GPS active + 3d rendered game world + using data constantly + probably other stuff I'm not thinking of. People will carry around 10k+ mAh external chargers for this purpose.

Plus it's not like phones aren't already way past thin enough. I carried a Treo, I can deal with a phone that's merely 1/2" thick instead of 3/8".

e: jesus christ I forgot the sheer girth of this thing

Javid fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 16, 2018