Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anglachel
May 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

A 1/3 that does nothing unless you have 4 mana to spare?

I was thinking in the board against control matchups.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yidris seems really, really good to me

Yep, so good in fact that I don't think anybody will let it actually connect if they can stop it. Even if it's hitting your opponent, letting them get that many possible cascade triggers seems real bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

I was thinking in the board against control matchups.

Yep, so good in fact that I don't think anybody will let it actually connect if they can stop it. Even if it's hitting your opponent, letting them get that many possible cascade triggers seems real bad for you.

Yidris Storm sounds like an EDH deck I want to make now.

:getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

My mono-black Oloro deck does want another Will effect. This is neat.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Well that's a thing. poo poo.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yidris Storm sounds like an EDH deck I want to make now.

:getin:

Ydrisco Fever.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

yesss more magus cards

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It bugs me that he exiles himself unlike the other one but holy drat would it be broken if he went to the yard, so I get it. Cool card though.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BJPaskoff posted:

My mono-black Oloro deck does want another Will effect. This is neat.

My mono-b Gonti deck wants this!

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Hi Doran

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What boggles my mind is why they thought anybody would ever want this guy as a commander.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

It bugs me that he exiles himself unlike the other one but holy drat would it be broken if he went to the yard, so I get it. Cool card though.

Yawgmoth's Will's replacement effect exiles itself as well.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The magus cycles are basically the coolest, so getting more of them is something I'm always going to be in favor of.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Blessed Reincarnation got a sidegrade in not-blue :yeah:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I just played the craziest game in Innistrad draft I've ever done. I ended up casting Gnaw to the Bone 6 times and won with 1 card in my library. I was milling myself out to look for Spider Spawning and eventually realizes I was going to mill out and I couldn't actually attack my opponent. I see they are only around 6 cards behind me and start targeting my Cellar Door at them. I don't know how the hell I won through that.

In other lovely MTGO news, in another draft I was playing GW Humans, my opponent had the full Spawning package. They drew into a card that was uncastable (it only showed the back of the card...which I didn't know MTGO had) had and then when they tried to Memory's Journey on their upkeep to prevent decking it didn't allow them to do it. He then got tilted, and dropped after turn 3 of game two.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

and magus's wouldn't without that exile cost since the sacrifice would happen before resolution of the ability, which is what they're talking about

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

What boggles my mind is why they thought anybody would ever want this guy as a commander.

Ikra Voltron, duh

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I love everything about this card and am glad that they're going to add to the sorcery Magus cycle.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I meant the other magus that sacrifices itself for the effect.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I meant the other magus that sacrifices itself for the effect.

Wheel of Fortune doesn't exile itself, Yawgmoth's Will does.

E:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I hope we get large art for is, it's super cool. I love that he's wearing Yawgmoth's mask.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That curse seems like a great way to keep an opponent alive, since your opponents now have incentive to kill you before that effect can go off and put you way ahead.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Get 'em both out, your biggest unblocked creature gives Power+Toughness+Power+Toughness in life to you. Put some big dumb equipment on that guy to give him trample or have that enormous green invincible rhino centaur or something. Oops, your Serra Avatar just gained you two hundred life. Now you take every creature that cares about life total and every artifact that cares about life total and a few red spells that prevent all blocks and maybe channel and a few fireballs and a few tutors and you've got yourself a deck. It's not tier 1 but aiming for tier 1 is a strange thing to do in commander anyway.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

The idea I've heard with Challenge is to Congregation at Dawn Flickerwisp and Emrakul to the top of your deck, then cast Challenge. It's a dubious plan, though.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-dubious-challenge

Very dubious.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The biggest problem with the partner commanders to me is that they just on the whole seem to cost too much. I would've liked to see them all be 2cmc (3 tops), or failing that, have some passive ability when partnered up and not in play. EDH is a surprisingly powerful format, and while I can see them not wanting to equal the power of the 2013 commanders, it seems they're falling short of the 2014/2015 ones as well.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

GoutPatrol posted:

In other lovely MTGO news, in another draft I was playing GW Humans, my opponent had the full Spawning package. They drew into a card that was uncastable (it only showed the back of the card...which I didn't know MTGO had) had and then when they tried to Memory's Journey on their upkeep to prevent decking it didn't allow them to do it. He then got tilted, and dropped after turn 3 of game two.

I also experienced both of those bugs playing spawning the other day. They must be linked somehow.

I still won that game though. :smuggo:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Get 'em both out, your biggest unblocked creature gives Power+Toughness+Power+Toughness in life to you. Put some big dumb equipment on that guy to give him trample or have that enormous green invincible rhino centaur or something. Oops, your Serra Avatar just gained you two hundred life. Now you take every creature that cares about life total and every artifact that cares about life total and a few red spells that prevent all blocks and maybe channel and a few fireballs and a few tutors and you've got yourself a deck. It's not tier 1 but aiming for tier 1 is a strange thing to do in commander anyway.

I mean that's cool and all but it also costs upwards of a dozen mana in a format where most things that do that win the game on the spot. There's a difference between "not tier 1" and being at such a low power level that you're only a couple steps up from using the precons straight out of the box.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
New RPTQ promo'mrakul.

Also GP:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Those are some nice promos.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

New RPTQ promo'mrakul.

Also GP:

Worst RPTQ promo yet.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was looking at how the partner commanders work in the default decks, and there are some clever interactions if you chose them instead of the 4-color commanders.

WUBR
Silas renn/Bruse Tarl. Silas allows you to cast any one artifact from your grave if he hits an opponent. Bruse Tarl gives silas double strike and allows you to recur two artifacts a turn. If you can recur Breya and her amazing artifact sac ability, you do broken things. Basically, hit foes with Silas to cast artifacts from the graveyard.

Silas/Akiri. Use and sac artifacts, and recur them with Silas, then keep getting them out of your yard to make a huge Akiri that can attack with impunity.

Then you can make a boros Bruse/Akiri deck built around having a ton of artifacts/equipment around and then casting/attacking with bruse to have a huge double striking lifelinking akiri attacking every turn. An interesting partner based voltron deck, and Bruse is good in general.

UBRG
Vial smasher/Kydele. Use a variety of enchantments and activated abilities to draw cards, then use Kydele to generate mana for every card drawn to play a huge spell to get a vial smasher trigger, then play cheap cards. Cast spells on opponents turns to get more vial smasher triggers, since its 'your first spell each turn'.

Vial smasher/Thrasios. Thrasios has 4: Scry 1, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped. Otherwise, draw a card.
This allows you to quickly put a lot of land on the battlefield, and you can get more and more as the game goes on. Cast powerful instants and flash cards that cost a ton and deal lots of Vial smasher damage that you drew with Thrasios using the tons of lands on the battlefield that you have.

Then you can make a Simic Kydele/Thrasios deck that allows you to draw a lot of cards with Thrasios, then play them in the same turn using Kydele's ability.

BRGW

Tana/Ravos. Whenever Tana hits a player, you get that many 1/1 saprolings. Ravos gives all other creatures +1/+1. Make a bunch of saprolings, and use Ravos's ability to get creatures from your graveyard to replay ones that empower Tana and her saproling horde via ETB abilities and anthem effects.

Tana/Tymna. Tymna allows you to draw cards based on how many opponents you dealt combat damage that turn. Tana makes a bunch of saprolings whenever she hits an opponent. Attack multiple opponents each turn with Tana and co, and use the cards you draw with Tymna to clear the way for Tana and her saprolings so you can draw more cards to clear the way next turn.

Then you can make a Orzhov Ravos/Tymna deck that has you throw away creatures into your opponents boards to get combat damage through, so you can draw cards and play them again with Ravos. Ravos's flying enables him to allow you to constantly draw at least one extra card a turn, due to his evasion.

RGWU

Sidar/Ludivec. Sidar kondo encourages your opponents to chip away at each other by making it almost impossible for anyone but you to block creatures with power 2 or less.
Ludivec encourages your opponents to hit each other by rewarding them for making players other than you lose life with end of turn card draw. Combined, opponents will be rapidly chipping away at each other with their small creatures to draw cards, and you will not lose much life from those antics, while you set up your win condition.

Sidar/Kraum. Make the game go slow by forcing opponents to cast only one or a ton of spells each turn to avoid giving you cards. Opponents small creatures played early on run rampant as they chip away at each other in a game slowed down by Kraum.

Then you can make a Izzet Ludivec/Kraum deck, where all the extra cards that everyone drew with Ludivecs ability become a liability as Kraum gives you even more card advantage if opponents try and cast the extra cards Ludivec gives out. Its a mind bending torment for opponents that would make Ludivec proud.

GWUB

Ishai/Ikra. As opponents cast more and more spells and make Ishai bigger and bigger, you start to gain lots of life every time he flies over the opponent due to Ikra's ability.

Ishai/Reyhan. Reyhan enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever a creature you control dies or is put into the command zone, if it had one or more +1/+1 counters on it, you may put that many +1/+1 counters on target creature. Ishai gets +1/+1 counters whenever an opponents casts a spell. Move an ever growing stack of +1/+1 counters around your board as your creatures or commanders die, and eventually attack with a huge Ishai flying over to deal lethal commander damage. Creatures that make +1/+1 counters will do amazing in this 4-color partner deck.

Then you can make a Grixis Ikra/Reyhan deck, where the moving +1/+1 counters and Ikra's menace allow for huge commander damage and tons of lifegain. Use lots of Trample and recursion creatures, and you have a neverending stream of big creatures to throw into your opponents board and give some other creature their counters.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 27, 2016

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

New RPTQ promo'mrakul.

Also GP:

Isn't the art on the GP progenitus the same as the normal art? That's kind of lame.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Vidmaster posted:

Isn't the art on the GP progenitus the same as the normal art? That's kind of lame.

The regular art is really good though, and there's already a horrendous alternate art. I'm glad they didn't print another bad art promo.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

That GP promo is going to be <5$

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

That GP promo is going to be <5$

Yeah. It's pretty stupid to give away a card that basically isn't played competitively at all for a GP promo.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

That curse seems like a great way to keep an opponent alive, since your opponents now have incentive to kill you before that effect can go off and put you way ahead.

Or cast so many spells that you deck yourself.

It's more likely that if you cast this on turn one it will get killed before the enchanted player does. Better to do it on someone who is a little low on life and hope for 3-4 cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. It's pretty stupid to give away a card that basically isn't played competitively at all for a GP promo.

I don't understand why WOTC wants to print unwanted promos at any level of event. Seems like a waste of time/money printing and shipping cards for nothing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I don't understand why WOTC wants to print unwanted promos at any level of event. Seems like a waste of time/money printing and shipping cards for nothing.

The target is EDH players which is a very different target than GP's. It makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Because they sell out events anyway and desired card is a valuable card and why would they give away valuable things when they don't have to? See: Prerelease promos for several years, fnm promos recently, and the axing of judge and most foils.

• Locked thread